PDA

View Full Version : Library says I need reviews - advice?

LilyGee
09-28-2012, 03:42 AM
As a cave-dwelling hermit, I've evidently done things backwards. I've already published my YA novel on CreateSpace, and now I need reviews to donate a copy to the local library. They're talking about journals. I've inquired at Library Journal, looked at ReviewTheBook.com, and submitted to Shelf Unbound, any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

Giraffe
09-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Here's the problem:

Libraries make most of their purchases on the basis of prepublication reviews of books in trade magazines (Library Journal and Publishers Weekly are the most influential). To have a chance of being reviewed, you need to send galleys to these journals 4 to 6 months before publication. You have passed that window. In this point, your best chance of getting into libraries is to build very strong demand for the book. If it is popular enough that patrons are asking for it, the library may be more interested.

LilyGee
09-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Thanks, Giraffe. I think I did do this backwards. But you offered an encouraging thought--if people ask for it, libraries will buy it.

In order to donate a copy to my local library, perhaps a few good online reviews will be enough. (I need those, anyway.) Presumably they just want to make sure they're not putting crap on the shelves. :)