Copyrights and Royalties.

knikkki

I have an offer from a small press to publish my first novel. In the novel, I have referenced song lyrics from about 15 different songs. Only two full songs, the rest are just snippets, and one could be cut entirely if it had to.

According to my contract, it is my responsibilityto to obtain permissions and bear the cost of "providing these permissions." Which I'm assuming means the royalties. Maybe?

I would make things more difficult for myself. Anybody know anything about this? Is it standard for the author to be responsible? Do you have to pay royalties for using two sentences of song lyrics? Is there a place to research all this stuff?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't know about paying royalties, but you do have to get permission to use the lyrics (even if it's just a snippet) in your book. You can't print the lyrics if you don't have permission. And yes, it's the author's responsibility to get permission.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Yes, a small press often requires the author to obtain these permissions, and yes -- you would need to get the permission of the creator of the lyrics. You need to read up on what your responsibilities are to use another person's works in your own. Here's a link to a U.S. Copyright office publication that will help you get started: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wwp
Also, visit their main FAQ page to read up about how to go about obtaining permissions: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html#permission

Good luck.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
knikkki said:
I have an offer from a small press to publish my first novel. In the novel, I have referenced song lyrics from about 15 different songs. Only two full songs, the rest are just snippets, and one could be cut entirely if it had to.

According to my contract, it is my responsibilityto to obtain permissions and bear the cost of "providing these permissions." Which I'm assuming means the royalties. Maybe?

I would make things more difficult for myself. Anybody know anything about this? Is it standard for the author to be responsible? Do you have to pay royalties for using two sentences of song lyrics? Is there a place to research all this stuff?

Lots of small publishers require their authors to contact the copyright holders of texts, songs, artwork, etc. to acquire permissions. Bearing the cost usually means just paying a fee for use, at least regarding artwork, not sharing royalties (if that's what you're asking). If you don't need the song lyrics, cut them out and save yourself some hassle.