Any writers out there play the drums?

Day O'

Registered
Reaction score
Hello:)

The story is a YA romance, but I'm just looking for help with the drumming parts.

I need a few scenes checked out. Just trying to make sure the lingo and references to playing are correct.

Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks!

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a guitarist for a living. I'm in plenty of professional bands and I work with drummers all the time, so I know the lingo, how to set up a kit, and even the dull stuff like how to tune a snare head or where to place a microphone for best recording quality. Perhaps I can help out?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm a guitarist for a living. I'm in plenty of professional bands and I work with drummers all the time, so I know the lingo, how to set up a kit, and even the dull stuff like how to tune a snare head or where to place a microphone for best recording quality. Perhaps I can help out?

Same here, just without the bit about getting paid to do it :D

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
I'll toss my hat into the ring. Like the guys above, I'm a guitarist these days, but I started musical life out as a drummer and still play.

Day O'

Registered
Reaction score
GeekTells, onesecondglance, and Blinkk I'd love for all of you to take a look!

If you PM me your email--some of you look new so if you click on my name you can send a private message--I can send the two scenes, about 1500k. One scene is about trying out the other is a practice session. All the drumming 'stuff' is bolded, but I'm open to suggestions about how tryouts and practice would run.

Thanks so much!

Jones()

Registered
Reaction score
Website
irememberdayton.blogspot.com
If you're dealing with drummers, I first would like to recommend this book:

Checker and the Derailleurs, Lionel Shriver

The main character is a drummer. If I remember correctly, Shriver's husband is a jazz drummer. The book is very well researched on drumming and such, but it doesn't get too bogged down in drumming detail. Might be a good place to get some inspiration.

Next, I'll say that I'm not a drummer. I've only played with a few, and they certainly range from fanatically devoted to drumming to those who just don't care. One name you probably know by now is Neal Peart, the drummer for Rush. Laugh if you want to, but every drummer knows who he is. And he has defined what it means to play drums for anyone who plays popular music after 1980. Some love him, some hate him, others fall between those. But every drummer over age 18 (many younger ones too) will know who he is. And 90% of them will have some opinion about him that he or she will share with you.

No rock artist can exist without drums (or a drum machine -- but that's an entirely different story). Even Jack White needed Meg. So they're always around, and any good drummer will probably always have a job (as evidenced by the many guitar players, like myself, who answered this thread -- as opposed to no drummers!).

The main issue with drummers seems to be the size of the kit: big or small? The most fun drummer I ever played with started with a 9-piece when I first knew him and eventually drew that down to four (bass, snare, hi-hat, crash). I've seen some guys go as little as three (bass, snare, and using the hi-hat to approximate a crash if they squeeze it open far enough). The drummer I play with now has adopted a good middle ground: floor tom, two racks, bass, hi-hat, ride, snare, crash.

Just some thoughts.

take care

---Jones()

Day O'

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recomendation. And yes, the Rush drummer has showed up in my research:)