PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Manhattan! Do I want to fly into JFK or LaGuardia?

Perks
09-24-2012, 07:05 PM
So, next month I'm going to the Simon & Schuster offices to meet my editor and marketing & publicity team. Woo hoo!

Now the boo hoo: I'm too long out of city living (and DC is a very different city from NYC, so I'm told) and I've never been to New York anyway, so I am clueless.

I have a place to stay in the Upper East side. I have no appointments on the day I fly in, so there's no rush to get anywhere that day or on the day I leave. Do I want to fly into LaGuardia or JFK or does it even matter?

heyjude
09-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Beats me. I just wanted to say how amazing is that! Going to meet your publisher... Have fun!

Perks
09-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Thank you. I'm very excited! I just hope I don't end up toddling around New York, lost and bumpkiny.

asroc
09-24-2012, 07:32 PM
LaGuardia is much closer to Manhattan than JFK. From JFK you'd have to travel all the way through Queens.

And congratulations! How awesome is that!

Perks
09-24-2012, 07:36 PM
That's helpful! Thanks!

KTC
09-24-2012, 07:43 PM
I was gonna say LGA too (little known fact--I was a travel agent 6 billion years ago for a blip in time). (-: Asroc beat me to it.

WAY TO GO, BTW! How fantastic is that!

Maryn
09-24-2012, 07:53 PM
LaGuardia is closer to Manhattan, but you might consider train travel, which will take you into Manhattan. The taxi from Penn Station to the Upper East Side is going to cost way less than a cab from the airport to either location. Or you can take public transportation.

Whichever way you travel, important to know: 1) Walking shoes. Even if you taxi most places, in Manhattan you're on your feet a lot. 2) Use restrooms when available, in the hope that you will therefore not need one when they are not available, which is often.

Maryn, who visits New York when she can

Perks
09-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Maryn, a little known fact about me (and more than you ever wanted to know): I have a bladder as big as my head. You know how a camel can go ages without drinking? I'm like that with restroom stops. It's practically superheroic.

calieber
09-24-2012, 08:02 PM
How are you getting from the airport to the place you're staying?

Because in my experience crow-fly distance between two points doesn't correspond anything like 100% to ease of travel, particularly in New York.

If you're taking the subway, JFK is much, much easier (though pricier). By cab, there's a flat rate from JFK -- I put an arbitrary destination on the UES into HopStop and cab fare from LaGuardia was much cheaper. Driving, the same arbitrary destination is, Google claims, half an hour from JFK and 20 minutes from LaGuardia ... but I wouldn't recommend driving in Manhattan.

PM if you want to meet for a drink or something. Good luck and congratulations!

Perks
09-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Ah, someone in the know. Excellent! Would you have an opinion on whether it would be safe (weather permitting) to walk from around 80th and York (just up from Grace Square Hospital) down to the offices, near Rockafeller Center? The map shows it at just over two miles, and I love to walk. It looks very straightforward and I'd be saved the headache of figuring out the public transportation. I just don't know what kind of neighborhood I'd be traversing, looking clueless.

And it might be fun to see if any of the NYC AWers wanted to meet up. I'm not there for long, but we could at least bat the idea around.

Susie
09-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Haven't flown in years but sayin' good luck and bet it'll turn out great, Perks!

Maze Runner
09-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Very safe to walk from 80th and York to Rockefeller Center. The Upper East Side is the safest part of Manhattan. Manhattan, anyway, is much safer than it used to be. Let me know if you want to check out some great live jazz while you're there. The only problem that I foresee for you in this trip is you may not want to leave.

Ambrosia
09-24-2012, 09:09 PM
It sounds like an exciting trip, Perks. Enjoy. :)

calieber
09-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Ah, someone in the know. Excellent! Would you have an opinion on whether it would be safe (weather permitting) to walk from around 80th and York (just up from Grace Square Hospital) down to the offices, near Rockafeller Center?

Lots of crime, almost none of it of the street variety You'd be traversing the old-money neighborhood, so it should be fairly safe. Allow getting-turned-around time if you walk through Central Park.

Perks
09-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys! I'll probably skip the Park until after the meeting, but I will make sure to give myself extra time. This would be a pretty lousy meeting to be late for.

I hope it doesn't rain. I'm actually looking forward to that walk.

Lavern08
09-24-2012, 10:34 PM
I was in NY a few weeks ago, and I gotta warn you...

Do NOT get into the Pink cab - It's a tribute to the fight against breast cancer, but it reeks of cigarette smoke and is absolutely FILTHY!!! :rant:

Perks
09-24-2012, 10:36 PM
The only problem that I foresee for you in this trip is you may not want to leave.I can imagine. Part of me thinks I could live in a city again, but I know I don't want to have to drive in the city anymore. I'm so unaccustomed to traffic now that it pisses me off much more than it did when I lived in it.

Perks
09-24-2012, 10:39 PM
I was in NY a few weeks ago, and I gotta warn you...

Do NOT get into the Pink cab - It's a tribute to the fight against breast cancer, but it reeks of cigarette smoke and is absolutely FILTHY!!! :rant:
There's only one?

Lavern08
09-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Not sure about that, but the one that took me from Long Island to LaGuardia stunk to high heaven. :(

rugcat
09-25-2012, 12:09 AM
I grew up in NYC. Cabs from the airport are amazingly expensive.

The standard way to get in in years past was to take a direct bus (no stops) from the airport to the East Side Terminal, then cab it from there.

These days, I would imagine the best way in would be one of the airport shuttle van services like Super Shuttle. It can take a while if there are a lot of passengers to be dropped off, but at least you could see the city.

I think they run about $ 20-25 and drop you off at your address. You can reserve ahead of time (Might even have to.)

Little Red Barn
09-25-2012, 12:19 AM
LGA would be best. Never had a problem flying in, and the cab fare from LGA to Manhatten is a standard fare, around 45-50.00

So happy you're going!
Grab your sneakers and walk, walk, walk. If you find yourself tired, hail a cab back to your place. Cheap.

Vito
09-25-2012, 01:29 AM
I have a bladder as big as my head. You know how a camel can go ages without drinking? I'm like that with restroom stops. It's practically superheroic.

Sounds like a comic book character. You know -- Marvel Comics or D.C. Comics or whatever: "The Adventures of Bladdergirl". Something like that, maybe. :tongue

Perks
09-25-2012, 03:37 AM
Sounds like a comic book character. You know -- Marvel Comics or D.C. Comics or whatever: "The Adventures of Bladdergirl". Something like that, maybe. :tongue
I don't even want to think of what the costume would look like.

calieber
09-25-2012, 04:49 AM
LGA would be best. Never had a problem flying in, and the cab fare from LGA to Manhatten is a standard fare, around 45-50.00.

JFK is a flat fare ($45 plus tolls)
LGA is metered; it's $22 to where Perks is going.

(And while I'm correcting you, "Manhattan")

Perks
09-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Yeah, that's in line with what my editor's assistant told me. She said it would be about $25 and probably less hassle with a suitcase.

jjdebenedictis
09-25-2012, 05:10 AM
Maryn, a little known fact about me (and more than you ever wanted to know): I have a bladder as big as my head. You know how a camel can go ages without drinking? I'm like that with restroom stops. It's practically superheroic.I must be your arch-nemesis, then, because I'm your polar opposite.

I'd chortle in an evil fashion and say something gloating and and dastardly to you, but I have to go pee. 'Scuse.

Silver King
09-25-2012, 05:32 AM
...(And while I'm correcting you, "Manhattan")
We all know that, cal, including LRB. I think you're trying to be somewhat helpful, but it's considered bad manners to highlight typos in most posts, especially in a jeering manner.

For your own sake, please don't do it again in this room, or anywhere else on AW.

Vito
09-25-2012, 05:50 AM
I don't even want to think of what the costume would look like.

:ROFL:

calieber
09-25-2012, 05:56 AM
We all know that, cal, including LRB. I think you're trying to be somewhat helpful, but it's considered bad manners to highlight typos in most posts, especially in a jeering manner.

For your own sake, please don't do it again in this room, or anywhere else on AW.

I'll be happy to edit it out if that would be appropriate (not sarcasm)

Silver King
09-25-2012, 06:16 AM
I'll be happy to edit it out if that would be appropriate (not sarcasm)
No, that's fine. There's no need to take back what's already been said. It's just something to think about when posting in the future, which I think you'll find helpful after today.

Good luck.

Maze Runner
09-25-2012, 09:53 PM
I can imagine. Part of me thinks I could live in a city again, but I know I don't want to have to drive in the city anymore. I'm so unaccustomed to traffic now that it pisses me off much more than it did when I lived in it.

Yeah, I get sick of the city sometimes. Never lived in the country but there are times when I think I'd like to give it a shot. I do wonder about the isolation though, if it would get to me. I guess the only way to know would be to try it for a time.

I hope you have a great trip to NYC- hope it's everything that you want it to be.

Perks
09-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I hope you have a great trip to NYC- hope it's everything that you want it to be.Ha! If that's the case, the next round - for all AW - is on me.

Maze Runner
09-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Ha! If that's the case, the next round - for all AW - is on me.

Hey, you know, sometimes good things happen to good people. I sense it will be so for you.

Maze Runner
09-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Ha! If that's the case, the next round - for all AW - is on me.

Oh, and, Jack Daniels if you please.

Maze Runner
09-25-2012, 11:22 PM
:ROFL:

Is that Robert Blake (Mickey Gubitosi) in your avatar?