"Sacre Bleu" by Christopher Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to mention this book I've been reading. It's a novel by Christopher Moore set in France and featuring Toulouse Lautrec, Vincent Van Gogh, Monet, and other artists as the main characters.

I must admit, the storyline was fun but a bit convoluted for me to follow (I was reading this before bed each night and maybe my mind was too fuzzy) but I really enjoyed the visual aspects of it. Copyright page says designed by Jamie Lynn Kerner.

This is a book from my local library. I haven't seen this cover anywhere else.
sacrebleu1small_zpsf18d6d88.jpg
[/IMG]

I was so taken with it that I searched for some info on it, and found this site from Christopher Moore in which he'd asked for fans to vote on possible covers.

http://www.sacrebleu.info/2011/08/29/vote-for-your-favorite-cover/

(The tab called Chapter Guide has some great stuff in there about the making of the book and the artists and pictures)

Here's a link to his whole cover gallery, all his books. http://www.chrismoore.com/covergallery.html

(i'm going to post this to see how big that image is) (oops too big, i thought i'd cut it down enough) (mod help?)

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
It's not just the cover I liked - the typography is *special* - I don't know proper words -

It just seems like a lot of care was taken with the entire experience of packaging this novel.

The page numbers are in a pale blue, as is the first larger letter of each chapter and chapter headings.

The little images separating scenes are artist palettes.

Color endpages, a map of Paris.

I counted 35 color images of paintings, some as large as 1/3 the page, some quite small.

I don't know, maybe this isn't that special to anyone else. Maybe I read too many paperbacks and don't know about the quality of hardcovers these days. Maybe I'm naive about this.

This just all struck me as wonderful, though - I'm going to post some more photos when I can resize them smaller.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the blurb from Amazon if you want to know what the story's about:

On July 1890, Vincent van Gogh went into a cornfield and shot himself. Or did he?

Vincent’s friends, baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, have their doubts. Now they’re determined to answer the questions surrounding van Gogh’s untimely death—like who was the crooked little “color man” Vincent claimed was stalking him across France . . . and why had the painter recently become deathly afraid of a certain shade of blue? Ooh la la, quelle surprise, and zut alors, what follows is a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late-nineteenth-century Paris, as the one, the only, Christopher Moore cooks up a delectable confection of intrigue, passion, and art history . . . with cancan girls, baguettes, and fine French cognac thrown in for good measure.

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this somewhere the other day and it had been bugging me - the cover is lovely but it was giving me major deja vu. Finally just realised where I'd seen the art before: a 'character of the week' contest thing at the Concept Art Forums for The Green Fairy. Here. (Ever so slightly less SFW than the version posted.) The artist is Aly Fell, worth looking up if you enjoy the style.

Looking at the preview on Amazon, the blue text and decorative touches work well. Maybe a bit of a gimmick but it seems to make sense for a novel, as the intro claims, 'about the colour blue'.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I wanted to mention this book I've been reading. It's a novel by Christopher Moore set in France and featuring Toulouse Lautrec, Vincent Van Gogh, Monet, and other artists as the main characters.

I must admit, the storyline was fun but a bit convoluted for me to follow (I was reading this before bed each night and maybe my mind was too fuzzy) but I really enjoyed the visual aspects of it. Copyright page says designed by Jamie Lynn Kerner.

This is a book from my local library. I haven't seen this cover anywhere else.

<snip>

Please reduce the size of this image to about 400 pixels on a side.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, thought it looked big but the file size said it was ok. I think this one is ok, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.