• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Format for beta readers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardenbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm approaching the point of getting beta readers for my novel. I was thinking it would be more polite, and more secure, to provide them with something like an eBook instead of a giant word file.

Can someone make an eBook without publishing it? Like, just turn my word doc into the appropriate format, that I could then email?

(I have to admit to having never read an eBook, but I think you can annotate and make notes on them -- would my betas be able to do this and send the marked-up file to me?)

Also, there are a few people who would do better with a print copy (like my friend's mother). I can clearly just print off a ream of paper, but is there a way to get a printed book-like thing, again without publishing?

I apologise if these are naive questions and the answers are in some standard place -- please point me towards that place if so!

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
You can use Calibre. That's what I use to read my writing on my E-reader.

I usually just send the Word files to beta readers. If I'm going to do line-by-line (which I don't really do), it is easiest for me to do in Word with comments/track changes.

Not sure about the print copy.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Ebooks (that is, epubs) aren't really suitable for marking up with comments and line edits.

I'm approaching the point of getting beta readers for my novel. I was thinking it would be more polite, and more secure, to provide them with something like an eBook instead of a giant word file.

Well, "more secure" implies you're afraid your beta-readers will make off with your novel and do something nefarious with it, which isn't very polite. But sending it to them as a PDF or epub isn't really more secure if they really want to steal your manuscript.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
hmmm, I missed that "more secure" part...

ardenbird

Registered
Reaction score
Re: more secure...

I guess what I was thinking there is that I remember reading a thread a while ago about should somebody let her friend's mother beta her novel -- and since I had just had a friend's mother request this for me, I read it with interest! The original poster, and I, was surprised to see lots of people say "NO!" because the mother might do something, not completely understanding the writing world, like give it to a friend or post it on the internet. Since I'm planning to ask such a person, and friends who might not be writers, I thought if I made it an ebook with a header something like "Draft--not for distribution" such an error would be less likely to happen?

Or would people be insulted by such a version?

I suppose I could just make sure I ask only writers-I-trust, but I have a wide variety of friends who read my genre, and I thought it would be useful to get info back from readers-not-writers, too.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I guess what I was thinking there is that I remember reading a thread a while ago about should somebody let her friend's mother beta her novel -- and since I had just had a friend's mother request this for me, I read it with interest! The original poster, and I, was surprised to see lots of people say "NO!" because the mother might do something, not completely understanding the writing world, like give it to a friend or post it on the internet. Since I'm planning to ask such a person, and friends who might not be writers, I thought if I made it an ebook with a header something like "Draft--not for distribution" such an error would be less likely to happen?

Or would people be insulted by such a version?

I suppose I could just make sure I ask only writers-I-trust, but I have a wide variety of friends who read my genre, and I thought it would be useful to get info back from readers-not-writers, too.

Someone who's a regular beta-reader and participant in writing groups might be a little offended that you think you need to tell them not to email your manuscript off to all their friends, but if you are giving it to friends and family, a header like that can't hurt. I think it would be a good idea just to make sure you don't give it to anyone who doesn't fully understand what a manuscript is and what they are and are not to do with it.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Use a text document that allows for commenting and markup unless otherwise requested by the beta.

They can convert it to the reading format of their choice, and if they want to leave in-line comments, as many do, they won't have to jump through any hoops.

Like others said, an ebook isn't any more secure than a text document. In fact, I'd be more leery of sending a nicely formatted ebook out, as it would be even easier to let it leak onto the internet that way.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
As a beta reader, I always want standard manuscript formatting: double-spaced 12pt Times New Roman saved as a .doc.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm beta-reading, I only accept files in Word. Although e-readers allow for notes, they're very restricting in comparison to Word.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Can someone make an eBook without publishing it? Like, just turn my word doc into the appropriate format, that I could then email?

(I have to admit to having never read an eBook, but I think you can annotate and make notes on them -- would my betas be able to do this and send the marked-up file to me?)

Also, there are a few people who would do better with a print copy (like my friend's mother). I can clearly just print off a ream of paper, but is there a way to get a printed book-like thing, again without publishing?

I apologise if these are naive questions and the answers are in some standard place -- please point me towards that place if so!

First: yes, you can make a word document into an e-book, and likewise you can have it printed and bound, without it being 'published'. I think you can do it through places like Lulu and CreateSpace for a very modest fee. But that's about all I know. Hop down to the self publishing and epublishing subforums and pick the brains of the experts there? They're sure to set you right.

Second: Don't give a copy of your book to anyone you don't trust. If you think they might pass it round without your permission, or post bits of it on the internet, or whatever, just don't give it to them. Read it aloud to them, if they're that keen.

Third: Give your betas whatever they ask for. Some would probably love to have it in pdf format so they can read it on their ereader, especially if they're planning on giving overall/structural feedback only. Others will probably want it as a doc if they're planning to do line-edits and make comments in the margins. Have good, long talks with your betas before you both commit; communication is the key to a good author/beta relationship.

ThatKnight64

D.R. Grant
Registered
Reaction score
The review changes/comment options in MS Word are huge advantages in the beta reading process in my opinion. It allows the author (you in this case) to choose which changes to except if you're doing a line by line and it also allows them to comment on unnecessary/confusing/inconstant parts of your story.
Just ask your Beta what they prefer and give it to them.

Calibre Ebooks manager has a convert function that works pretty well from .doc to html/epub/mobi/etc.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
As a beta reader, I always want standard manuscript formatting: double-spaced 12pt Times New Roman saved as a .doc.

This is my preferred format too. But any kind of editable text document is good, especially .doc and .rtf.

Don't send it out as .docx file format, whatever you do. A lot of betas don't have the software to open this extension.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I would ask my betas how they wanted it delivered, and I'd send it exactly as requested.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom line is: you have to comfortable with sending out your MS. So if that means you only want to do the eBook format, then that's that.

But as others have mentioned, eBook is not totally secure. People can still convert it into something that's more easily distributed.

I usually try to accommodate my betas. I give them whatever format they want, as long as I can make it happen.

Personally, an eBook format would not work for me. I hate reading on a computer and I don't have a Kindle. So I like to print out a paper copy that I can read and mark up with a color pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.