A good, quietly big story

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The U.S. and Russia have agree to set up a special relationship across the Bering Strait:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...-beringia-gets-protection-from-us-russia?lite

I live in Alaska, though not near this region, but this is a really important step, the kind of thing that ought to occur between nations. Totally positive at every level.

We have a lot of commercial interaction with Russia up here. As a small example, there's a seasonal shop in our major downtown commercial area that runs through the Holiday Season featuring Russian merchandise. The woman who runs it travels all the way from St. Petersburg to do this every year. I buy gifts from it regularly. The cultural interaction across the Bering Strait should be greatly facilitated by this agreement, allowing extended families who have had trouble communicating for decades to meet and renew ancient bonds that should never have been severed. Potentially a big boost to tourism as well, in both directions.

caw

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
What's the over/under on Romney bringing this up during a debate as proof that he was right about Russia being our biggest threat and that Obama is a pinko in bed with them damn Commies?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Great story, bb!
What's the over/under on Romney bringing this up during a debate as proof that he was right about Russia being our biggest threat and that Obama is a pinko in bed with them damn Commies?
I'd say pretty high. He's still got an outside shot at winning, and since he's payback for the Dems handing GWB a second term on a platter, that just can't happen. ;)

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
What's Sarah Palin's take on it?
(runs and hides for im-Palin-g the thread)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
This is a very cool story. Thanks, BB. It will be interesting to see, as traffic and commerce increases, how the various product exchanges are dealt with -- thinking about scrimshaw and import/export laws and all that.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.