The age old question: Is anime art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady_RyuuXX87

Promoted to Head Genius!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah I was wondering on whether to put this here or not... anime is related to graphic novels, or manga so I decided to talk about it here. I'm sure this topic has been mentioned before but I always get this a lot from my art teachers that anime is not art. Or, at least the *correct* art! There shouldn't be a right or wrong art. I've always wanted to draw my own stories into graphic novels too so that is also why I posted this here. I think anime is the simplified version of drawing a person. There is less detail, it's fun to do :D What do you all think about that?

knightrunnermatt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fallenempirecomics.com
Manga is definitely art. It may be simple, but isn't that what post-modern art revolves around? The Japanese super-flat movement thrives on making complex objects as simple as possible. I think the art is what carries manga mostly. I haven't read many manga that were well written...

matt

zombiewriterS

I definatly think anime is art. Manly because I believe that there are little to no rules to art. These are the only rules I believe there is to art.

1. you have to enjoy it
2. it has to be self-expression
3. there is no limit to your medium

So there's no wrong art and no right art. It's just art.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Absolutely, anime and manga are art.

My original production cel collection is proof of that to me. :D

I've seen how the art is created on the celluloid cels, building from the front backwards, so unlike a canvas painting, the anime cel is painted in reverse. That takes a mind set I certainly don't have.

Then again, comics are art . . . as evidenced by my collection of original comic pages.

You can say there's commercial art, graphics art or fine art, but you know what? They're all ART.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
ab-sol-fricking-lutely it's art!!!

TCM has been running anime movies for a treat on Thursday nights... finally got my hubby to watch some of Porco Rosso and our fav, Princess Mononoke...

tell you the honest truth, I'll take most of the Japanimation films over anything coming out of Hollywood these days.

:)

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
Back in the day when I was in art school, I was introduced to the concept of body piercing as "living" art, and puking into a bucket on a stage as "performance" art, and displaying a jar of urine on top of a Bible as a proper sculpture to display in the school's student gallery.

Now. when I hear people try to exclude various forms of animation and such from the broader realm of what constitutes art---it makes me want to puke in a bucket.
And don't get me started about the art of smilies :Soapbox:

The "gatekeeper" of the arts mentality is prevalent in visual and literary circles, and I've learned to tune it out. I'm much more at peace creatively as a result. "It's art because I say it is," has become my mantra for all my creative pursuits. I've designated myself as the "gatekeeper" of my art.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
of course it is art, but if they are teachers of fine art it is not what they have to teach you. If anime art is your main focus you may have chosen the wrong school to be in? There are plenty of places where at least some of the teachers are skilled in anime and other graphic art techniques.

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
Any drawing is art. Is it good art? ... that is up to the viewer to deside.

As for education. Manga in the end is drawing just like anything else. Being able to draw well vs. drawing Manga well could make a huge diffrence in what your final work will be. In the end it will go beyond Manga into your own style. A style made up of all that you have learned.

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I love anime as an art form. It has so much power and movement. I love what the anime artists are doing with hair! How do they get such expression with so little line in the face?? It is commercialized to pieces and usually that is not good for an art form. I also like the way it is linked to spirituality and natural power; water, wind, fire, etc.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Wheee! My post disappeared from this thread. =^P

Yes, IMO, manga / anime is art.

"Manga" means "unusual art".

I've found those who say manga / anime isn't art have very limited exposure to the form, or an incredibly limited view of what comprises art. But, as with all things creative, whether or not you call it art is subject to your POV.

Somnilocus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
somnilocus.deviantart.com
Anything you put your heart, soul, and mind in to is art; whether it be painting the Mona Lisa, dancing, or taking a dump. As an artist, I can tell you that many artists who draw in a more realistic style cannot draw anime/manga for ****. Sure, photo-realism is impressive, but a simplistic piece of art that you absolutely fall in love with is even more impressive.

"Manga" means "unusual art".

Are you serious? :\

Last edited:

Sailor Kenshin

I am too on MSN IM! :(
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jaganshikenshin.livejournal.com
Lady_RyuuXX87 said:
Ah I was wondering on whether to put this here or not... anime is related to graphic novels, or manga so I decided to talk about it here. I'm sure this topic has been mentioned before but I always get this a lot from my art teachers that anime is not art. Or, at least the *correct* art! There shouldn't be a right or wrong art. I've always wanted to draw my own stories into graphic novels too so that is also why I posted this here. I think anime is the simplified version of drawing a person. There is less detail, it's fun to do :D What do you all think about that?

The simplified answer:

Hai! :D

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Somnilocus said:
Are you serious? :\

Yes. (^_^)

"man" = "out of the ordinary", "something unique", "not of conventional", etc. As far as I can see, the concept doesn't quite have an exact English equivalent.

"ga" = "art"

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Sailor Kenshin said:
Is that how the kanji read?

Yes, that's how it's read. (^_^)

Last edited:

realist from earth

Personally I would pay no attention to the artist crowd for the most part. They tend toward an elitist perspective and are of really no help. They are very much like the "artist" writer types that talk about what is and what isn't real literature. I have actor friends that talk about what is and what isn't cinema or theatre. If you like drawing, and you can get someone to pay you for it; do it and don't care what other people think.

Somnilocus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
somnilocus.deviantart.com
Yes. (^_^)

"man" = "out of the ordinary", "something unique", "not of conventional", etc. As far as I can see, the concept doesn't quite have an exact English equivalent.

"ga" = "art"

Thanks but I speak Japanese. :p The kanji mean "cartoon" and "picture" but anyway--

I agree with Realist From Earth: there's no right or wrong answer, just personal opinions. Do what feels right.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
zombiewriterS said:
1. you have to enjoy it
2. it has to be self-expression
3. there is no limit to your medium

I'll have to disagree with rule 1.

Good art provokes reaction, whether it be love, hate, revulsion, enjoyment or just confusion.

I'll also take a pop at #2.

Art is usually, but does not have to be, self expression. Many artists have experimented with distancing themselves from the medium by making it a random accidental creation rather than something they have worked to achieve.

As for manga - yeah, why not? We had a Manga exhibition at our local art gallery a while back.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Somnilocus said:
Thanks but I speak Japanese. :p The kanji mean "cartoon" and "picture".

Heheh, cool.

I'm reading it from a Chinese perspective. It's about the same thing. :)

Sailor Kenshin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Somnilocus said:
Thanks but I speak Japanese. :p The kanji mean "cartoon" and "picture" but anyway--

I agree with Realist From Earth: there's no right or wrong answer, just personal opinions. Do what feels right.

Ooo! Thou speakest Japanese?

My new best friend. ;)

Rowen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rowey13.blat.co.za
Anime And Gundam IS Art!!

Yes, I think it is art, because the way anime should be drawn is quite a difficult task. I struggle with the Hair and Body . The shading of anime is also very hard and requires a lot of experience..
Any tips on anime or gundam please Email me. [email protected]

Lock_Dragmire

It all depends

Alright, here's the thing to talk about here.

In general, yes it's art. Simply because of the fact that like all art forms, even down to graffitti, a person can express themselves through it, creating characters, stories, conveying feeling through anime like Piccaso conveyed his through disfigured faces and obcure forms that represented people.

On the other hand, it't become so copy/paste that no one puts any real effort into making anime images. They grab something and make a re-color, call it thier own, and thus is no longer art, it's a stolen work that looks like it's been raped repeatedly and beaten with an ugly stick.

You must also take into consideration that these people in aime and manga are supposed to be people. It's based on lives, characters, real people, therefore are more often than not expected to LOOK like people. That means proper anatomy and proportion, being well versed in the structure of different perspectives and forshortening, scenery and syle.

The main objective of anime is to visually tell a story with moving graphics. A painting alone can tell the tale of the entire universe, but a drawing of a person standing on a blank background tells little more than what that person looks like. There is no dynamic aspect, no story, no life to it. But on the flip side, place that person in a forest, running, speed lines and a bit of forshortening on the forward facing hand, and you've got a story.

Overall, anime IS art, it is just one of the simplest and least defined forms of art there are. Everyone can draw anime (whether it looks good or not), but not everyone can paint like Da Vincci.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
All forms of animation is as much "art" as a painting in an art museum or a panel in a comic book. The difference is that it moves. That is all.

Sailor Kenshin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Alright, here's the thing to talk about here.

In general, yes it's art. Simply because of the fact that like all art forms, even down to graffitti, a person can express themselves through it, creating characters, stories, conveying feeling through anime like Piccaso conveyed his through disfigured faces and obcure forms that represented people.

On the other hand, it't become so copy/paste that no one puts any real effort into making anime images. They grab something and make a re-color, call it thier own, and thus is no longer art, it's a stolen work that looks like it's been raped repeatedly and beaten with an ugly stick.

You must also take into consideration that these people in aime and manga are supposed to be people. It's based on lives, characters, real people, therefore are more often than not expected to LOOK like people. That means proper anatomy and proportion, being well versed in the structure of different perspectives and forshortening, scenery and syle.

The main objective of anime is to visually tell a story with moving graphics. A painting alone can tell the tale of the entire universe, but a drawing of a person standing on a blank background tells little more than what that person looks like. There is no dynamic aspect, no story, no life to it. But on the flip side, place that person in a forest, running, speed lines and a bit of forshortening on the forward facing hand, and you've got a story.

Overall, anime IS art, it is just one of the simplest and least defined forms of art there are. Everyone can draw anime (whether it looks good or not), but not everyone can paint like Da Vincci.

Have I got this right? You're complaining because some people draw anime characters that are not up to your standards?

I don't suppose you have seen the many BAD copies of DaVinci that are out there, but how is either one germane to whether anime is art?

And no. Not everyone can draw anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.