Awkward protocol question

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the skinny:

Agent A asks for a full submission. Naturally, I'm sending other queries while I wait for a response. Agent A sends back a rejection, but with lovely, detailed and thoughtful feedback. I have what I need to consider a fairly extensive improvement/revision.

A few days later after a partial sub, Agent B asks for a full submission.

I'm fairly convinced I want to follow through with the revision, but I obviously can't keep Agent B waiting.

Do I send the unrevised manuscript with a note or anything? What do I do if she ends up liking it, even though I like the feedback the other agent gave?

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Well, you can send a response to Agent B saying that you recently received some new feedback you think would be helpful and want to revise before sending to him/her. You could ask if s/he wants to see the manuscript that's ready now or wait to see a revised version.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you do take that route, it might be wise to carry out the revisions quickly. You don't want the requesting agent to forget you.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I've been in this situation, and honestly, I couldn't make the revisions quick enough for it to be worth keeping other agents waiting. A serious revision (not a quick matter of cut-this-scene, add-this-other-one) takes time.

I'd weigh your options carefully. Even if you have to send Agent B the current manuscript, you can always stop querying until revisions are complete, so for any future full requests, the revision will be ready to go.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would send the as-is full to Agent B. Who knows what advice she'd have? Maybe the things Agent A didn't like Agent B would.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
How confident are YOU with your book? Did you agree with all of the revisions?

Agent's opinions are subjective as well. I had one agent say she wanted to delete half of my book and have me continue on from where I finished the narrative. That hurt a bit, but also made me realise we just might not be a right fit for each other. I'm not a super wham-bam actiony kind of writer, and that seemed to be what that agent preferred. Doesn't mean she was wrong, either--everyone has opinions and tastes. I found another agent who absolutely adored it as is and wouldn't dream of chopping half of it. She still had suggestions for improvement but they fitted a lot more with my vision for the book. And she's the one I went with.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would send the as-is full to Agent B. Who knows what advice she'd have? Maybe the things Agent A didn't like Agent B would.
This is how I've been treating a similar situation. I'm not convinced Agent A's revision suggestions weren't a matter of taste, but I'm doing the revision anyway and seeing which version I want to query with in the future. But for the queries/requests still out there, I'm sending the original novel. If I finish before I get a response and decide the new version is stronger, then I'll approach the agents with it and ask if they want the revision.