PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching Shogun???

thothguard51
09-22-2012, 04:13 AM
James Clavell's, mini series, Shogun, has been playing on Encore all this week.

Anyone else watching?

I have to keep remembering this was not a big screen movie, but a made for TV series. Some of the break away and returns are distracting, but otherwise, the series was excellent, from an American standpoint. I remember reading though that many Japanese did not like the series or how it portrayed feudal Japan.

At the time of the original TV series, my then wife and I were members of the SCA, we both changed our personas to that of Japanese society. It was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work researching language, garments, weapons, and social status.

defcon6000
09-22-2012, 04:26 AM
I don't have Encore. Or TV.

But I'm interested, then again, I find Japanese culture quite fascinating. How old is the series?

alleycat
09-22-2012, 04:27 AM
I remember watching it when it was first shown and enjoying it.

BenPanced
09-22-2012, 04:57 AM
I don't have Encore. Or TV.

But I'm interested, then again, I find Japanese culture quite fascinating. How old is the series?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080274/combined

Richard Chamberlain. Hubba2.

Calla Lily
09-22-2012, 05:12 AM
Mr. Lily loves this mini-series. I never saw the fascination. :e2shrug:

Then again, he doesn't get my fascination with Godzilla movies. :)

Amadan
09-22-2012, 05:19 AM
I saw it when it was first broadcast, and recently rewatched it on Netflix.

I also read the books when I was in sixth grade. They were much better, but both the books and the TV series took some huge liberties with Japanese history and culture, so I can see why the Japanese were not impressed.

thothguard51
09-22-2012, 06:00 AM
I have to say the series is good at not telegraphing what is coming. Lord Toranaga never tips his hand...

J.S.F.
09-22-2012, 08:04 AM
It was my first introduction to Japanese culture although my folks recognized Toshiro Mifune right off the bat.

Now that I'm living in Japan (have been for over twenty years) I can look back on the series and see how they took so many liberties with it but it's still entertaining and Yoko Shimada was gorgeous.

KateSmash
09-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Now I wish I had Encore. :( I love watching all things Toshiro Mifune.

thothguard51
09-23-2012, 03:08 AM
Last episode on tonight.

Rewatching Shogun has made me wonder why no one has made a big screen remake of Shogun.

I mean, how many times can we watch remakes of Batman, Superman, etc, etc, etc.

Would love to see an update version of Shogun on the big screen. Maybe Orlando Bloom could play Anjin San...

Stacia Kane
09-23-2012, 03:23 AM
Oh, I wish I'd seen this thread earlier! :)

They aired SHOGUN here last year, and we watched it and loved it. Then we bought the book, and I read it in the hospital after my surgery. Great book, great series; of course now that we've both read it we're hoping to buy the series and watch it again.

We did cringe a bit when Chamberlain makes his little speech about not being a "damned Sodomite," I admit. It must not have been fun for him to have to say that line. But he does a great job; the entire cast is amazing.

I'm still a tad annoyed by the ending, though.

thothguard51
09-23-2012, 06:35 PM
I agree, the ending left much to be desired...

Stacia Kane
09-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I agree, the ending left much to be desired...

It's not really any better in the book. It explains it a teeny bit more, but not really. And the "sequel" takes place several hundred years later and according to my brother doesn't really give any info on Blackthorn, so...

(Not-really-funny-but-it-is-to-me: While I was reading it, I was thinking, "Man, my brother loves this sort of complex political-intrigue stuff; it's why he was so obsessed with high fantasy all his life. I bet he'd love this." So I emailed him to say, "Hey, ever read SHOGUN? I think you'd really like it." And I got a reply like two hours later informing me very excitedly that it's his favorite novel ever. Can I pick 'em or what? :) *proud of dumb little things*)

dirtsider
09-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I saw that this was playing this week. I think I saw bits and pieces when I was a kid. I also have it on DVD. Personally, I think the book is better since it shows a broader range of what was going on with the Japanese POV. But I think the producers asked/were asked to shorten it a bit so James Clavell basically stripped the book down to just Blackthorne's/Anjin-san's POV for the mini-series.

Not surprised they took a lot of liberties with reality though. But the book is one of the reasons I"m interested in Japanese culture and love learning more about history in general.

thothguard51
09-24-2012, 08:28 PM
I just spent the last thirty minutes reading reviews of Clavell's other Asian themed books.

It seems Shogun was the pinnacle of his Asian Chronicles. His other books did not fair as well in the review department. They were not bad reviews, just that the books did not live up to his Shogun standards.

One reviewer even noted that James A Michener wrote better Asian themed novels that are much more accurate historically. Still, the story of Blackthorn was woven very well. I wished Clavell had continued Blackthorn's tale.