Viewing Paintings in Person vs. Paper Reproductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... have seen a fair number of famous paintings in person. They looked much different than reproductions I've viewed in books and whatnot and were much more impressive and awesome. (Particularly a dozen or so by Van Gogh which blew me away. I had to turn to a stranger and express my amazement, bashfulness notwithstanding.)

Have you experienced this as well? If so, how much do you think is lost when viewing a reproduction as compared to an original? Is it a totally different experience? And what accounts for the loss? You're still viewing the same painting in essence after all.

If there is a difference it would seem important to view originals. Should artists make a point of doing that, despite the hassle of making trips to museums and shelling out loot for admission?

Sorry to be so inquisitive.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
I would think that painters could get more from seeing a painting in person -- fine details like brush strokes, thickness of the paint, etc., can't be easily seen in a reproduction. And they do come into play in the technique of many famous artists.

Personally, as a graphic designer, I was fascinated and moved by a display of very early Bibles that the Smithsonian hosted not long ago -- I was looking at the layouts, of course. How the information was arranged on the scrolls, in the oldest ones, and in the book pages in the more recent ones. And the odd things in between as books were being invented.

Last edited:

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who is interested in learning to paint should spend time looking at real paintings- as well as doing studies of them.
I've never been turned away from a museum for having a sketchbook- though I've never tried doing a painting, just water colour brush pens, ink pens, and graphite.

The thing that rocked my socks the most have always been the sculptures.
The first real museum I got got to go to the Hermitage in St. Petersberg- I remember looking at the statues and thinking- omg this guy is going to get up and walk around! There's no way it's made of stone.

Personally, as a graphic designer, I was fascinated and moved by a display of very early Bibles that the Smithsonian hosted not long ago -- I was looking at the layouts, of course. How the information was arranged on the scrolls, in the oldest ones, and in the book pages in the more recent ones. And the odd things in between as books were being invented.

Have you looked into the Book of Kells? It's the Cadillac of old-timely religious books.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Lichtenstein looks like nothing in reproductions, that is until you realize that he measured each dot on the paper and measured the distances so they were even, then painted them. Also he *painted* the lettering too. (That's not an easy feat.) You need the painting in front of you to get the full effect of the effort he put in.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I never really understood my Van Gogh was such a big deal until I saw some originals. And there is also the matter of scale like with the Lady of Shalott/Waterhouse. So much more impressive in the flesh.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
... have seen a fair number of famous paintings in person. They looked much different than reproductions I've viewed in books and whatnot and were much more impressive and awesome. (Particularly a dozen or so by Van Gogh which blew me away. I had to turn to a stranger and express my amazement, bashfulness notwithstanding.)

Have you experienced this as well? If so, how much do you think is lost when viewing a reproduction as compared to an original? Is it a totally different experience? And what accounts for the loss? You're still viewing the same painting in essence after all.

If there is a difference it would seem important to view originals. Should artists make a point of doing that, despite the hassle of making trips to museums and shelling out loot for admission?

Sorry to be so inquisitive.

This is a very good question, and brings up some profound differences in the experience of art.

In some very deep ways viewing a reproduction is nothing like viewing a painting.

One of the things that most artists know these days is that reproductions, no matter how good, are always at least a little off, and sometimes nearly unrecognizable. The flat image on paper, no matter how carefully photographed and printed, is nothing like the painting in person.

This as far as I can tell is due to optics, the nature of the materials used, and the three-dimensional nature of our universe.

A painting is not an image. It is a three-dimensional construction of optically sophisticated materials.

Paint is not simply color, but ground particles of one or more colored materials (pigments) suspended in a medium (the binder). It has a three-dimensional physicality. Even painters who paint as flatly and smoothly and thinly as they can deal with the nature of layers of paint and the mix of physical pigments.

Paint as a physical object also has optical properties. Different pigments have varying levels of opacity, of reflectivity, of brilliance. Some have sheens of different colors that only show up in certain lightings or at certain angles. There are dozens of commonly used pigments, hundreds all told, each of which has its own unique wavelengths of light which may not always be approximated by the limited range of colors available as printers' inks.

A painting in front of you is a complex object made of many layers. Some paintings have dozens or hundreds of layers, microscopically thin. And that's not even getting into artists who used the physicality of paint as a three-dimensional substance itself, such as Turner or Rembrandt.

A printed reproduction is a completely flat object, made optically by blending four or more colors of transparent ink on paper. No matter how well photographed or color matched, it will always miss some of the nuances of the original.

One difference between digital art and painting (and sculpture for that matter) is that digital art really is completely flat, whereas even the thinnest of watercolors on paper has genuine three-dimensional depth. Digital art looks better in reproduction than paintings because it shares the flatness of the reproduction (although the nature of colors in digital art means that they can never be truly matched in reproduction).

Some of this effect may be because of size and presence. Most paintings are far larger than their reproductions. Seurat's "Un dimanche après-midi à l'Île de la Grande Jatte" is lovely and well-known, but how many people are aware that the figures in the foreground are nearly life-sized? Standing in front of it, it fills one's awareness.

Not even the best reproduction duplicates that experience.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I will always remember seeing paintings by the German Expressionists at the RA. I'd seen printed repros and thought little of them but the real ones.... wow.

They are huge. And physical. They leapt off the wall at me. I was breathless stood in front of them.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Particularly a dozen or so by Van Gogh which blew me away. I had to turn to a stranger and express my amazement, bashfulness notwithstanding.)

I wonder if you were the loudmouth American (I doubt it muchly) who, when I was looking at V.G's Sunflowers, said: 'Aw man, you gotta see the picture in the right light. Hung here it's doing nothing. NOTHING!'

At the time I pooh-poohed the American. I looked at my brochure and back at the real thing and thought, well, it's alright.

A few minutes later, upon leaving the gallery room, I turned back and from the new angle the painting was transformed. Not only did I think Wowzers, missus -- seriously, angels with harps and godly torches seemed to be bringing the painting alive -- but also I had to doff my cap to the brash yank.

Son-of-a-gun had called it right.

I guess what I'm saying is ...

Not only do artworks look different from their reproductions, but crikey they can look different from their real selves, too.

... oh, and also I'm saying never judge a yank by his brashness. :)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I was totally awestruck the first time I saw the Wilton Diptych in the National Gallery, London. It was the first time I had visited the gallery and I went there specifically to see the Diptych. Seeing the real thing was an epiphany. It was simply that I was looking at something that Richard II had looked at. I felt an enormous sense of wonder that it had survived and had been cared for prior to ending up in the National Gallery. It was a strange experience and hard to explain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilton_Diptych

Another painting that I found very moving was Dali's St John on the Cross. I had seen it reproduced countless times in text books. No two reproductions were the same - colour was often different, top and/or bottom loped off. When I did see the original I was surprised at how small and compact it was. I was also surprised at how seeing the whole painting and its' true colour made me so emotional. Having seen the image so often I thought I would be used to it, and not so moved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_of_Saint_John_of_the_Cross

Another Dali that I would so like to see again is the one in my signature. Larger version here http://arthistory.about.com/od/from_exhibitions/ig/dali_painting_and_film/dali_moma_0708_21.htm

I saw the painting in the RSC gallery the first time I went to Stratford-upon-Avon. It is so chilling. Dali has really captured the essence of Shakespeare's RIII - evil, wicked humour and self mocking. He has also captured something of Olivier's chameleon like ability as an actor to change from one character to another. I haver a postcard of it but it looses in translation. It's size means, rather like the one in my sig, that some of the detail is lost. With the loss of detail goes the expression on the faces, so the impact of the painting is lost.

What I think is lost when looking at a reproduction - firstly the sense of the past. The concept that so many people over time have looked at the same image. Looking at reproductions lacks the awe,wonder and baggage that the original has.

Seeing the painting as the artist wanted it to be seen can also be a bonus. Some reproductions do not show the colours as they are in the original and some, as I have already said, get cropped.

For me there is a great difference in seeing a repro and the real thing. Mainly the emotional response I have to a painting either because of the subject matter or its', the paintings, history. A sheet of paper with a badly reproduced image does nothing for me.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's everything Allessandra Kelley said about technique and materials, and the size of the works. With reproducations, usually you're dealing with book-sized images. Even with oversized books, the images are not a patch on seeing the full sized paintings on the wall. Most portraits that I've seen are life-sized. That's a whole different thing from some little copy of a portait in a book, allowing you to really think of the subject as a person.

There was a big fuss a few years ago when the National Gallery of Canada bought a painting called 'The Spirit of Fire'. Three stripes of paint, blue, red, blue. Huge outcry over 'Is that art?', 'They spent money on that?' chiefly by people who, like myself, had only seen it in magazines. Then I read an article by someone who had actually seen it, in situ, and who said that it was astonishing to see 'live', that the conflict between the colours made it almost come alive. Which would be the sort of thing that wouldn't show up in a reproduction, in another medium, no matter how well reproduced.

It makes sense, and someday I will see it for myself.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I wonder if you were the loudmouth American (I doubt it muchly) who, when I was looking at V.G's Sunflowers, said: 'Aw man, you gotta see the picture in the right light. Hung here it's doing nothing. NOTHING!'

... nah. That wasn't me. I said something like, "Wow. These paintings by Gogh are amazing. Makes me feel like putting away my easel for good." It's how I really felt. Sounds corny now. My apologies to the stranger ;-)

A painting is not an image. It is a three-dimensional construction of optically sophisticated materials.

... insightful post. I never really thought about paintings being 3-dimensional. Another thing that follows is that human senses are more perceptive than we generally believe. Otherwise, reproductions wouldn't seem different than originals. It's a testimony to the craftsmanship of artists who make the paintings and the craftsmanship of God or Nature who made us.

Thnx for the replies, everyone. Neat checking out the mentioned artists and paintings.

ps I wonder how Seurat would have reacted to the works of Litchtenstein? He painting in a similar manner in a way. Neat!

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Did you guys know how big Dali's masterpieces like "hallucinogenic toreador" are? They are freaking HUGE! I had no idea until I saw them in person. Literally, they are like movie theater screen sized.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
I never really thought about paintings being 3-dimensional.
Van Gogh--if you see it, you can see that unlike Caillebotte (who is also amazing) he used pure paint. This was because of the idea of pure pigment. When you see the works, you can see the texture of the paint and the pure colors.

I forgot who she was, but there was also an artist that painted masking tape... but it was so precise that when the people moved the painting, they thought the masking tape was peeling off. I saw it and I could swear it was masking tape until I came up to it and saw that the *texture* of the masking tape was painted and she'd bothered to make it raised like masking tape... while the interior of the painting itself was amazing (such as wood floors you swear you could walk into). That's also something you can't get.

I had a good art museum near my house when growing up. there was also a sculpture that was my favorite because all surfaces on the inside of it were mirrors, which just added to the experience.

I liked the surrealists, impressionists, but not so much the expressionists.

Also art museums can do things like what Monet did where he went from painting to painting during the day. So he'd paint the hay stack at 10, quit at 11 and then move to the next one... an art museum, unlike a reproduction can line them all up in a row, so you see the entire series side by side. And if you see that, it can be amazing.

Statue of David: Definitely worth seeing in person, because the scale makes *you* feel like David, and David becomes the Goliath. You can't get that with a reproduction. And to be smug, I'll also mention Sistine Chapel. Definitely worth it. I don't get how he didn't die working on that thing. And I can see how he would hate the Pope of the time over it. (He apparently painted the Pope of the time in Hell as revenge... which goes to show the friction between artist and client has been going on for centuries...)

I think art is a lot more fun when you know the story behind the painting and the personality of the artist themselves. You can't always get that from plaques...

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Van Gogh--if you see it, you can see that unlike Caillebotte (who is also amazing) he used pure paint.

... Caillebotte's Floor Scrappers painting stands out. Just had a look. I remember that one. Great art has a way of making you remember it. Pigment and texture of paint makes paintings 3D as I've come to realize here. And then there's perspective artists use, e.g. vanishing points and the like. I've always been fascinated by 2 dimensions, myself. Shh ;-)

Sounds wild, Gale. And wild also to work on a painting that size. Takes a certain kind of artist to be able to manage a canvas that huge and be able to keep track of everything and not get overwhelmed.

------------------------------

That's true, Frimble. vv

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Especially when the artist is working close to the work, within arm's length, knowing that few viewers well see it up that close.

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
The Mona Lisa was a big let-down.

In general, though, a painting will be much bigger in real life than in any book. You're just going to be missing details.

But many prints are quite lovely, and probably compare nicely to the original work. (Heck, sometimes a print is the finished work.)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Did you guys know how big Dali's masterpieces like "hallucinogenic toreador" are? They are freaking HUGE! I had no idea until I saw them in person. Literally, they are like movie theater screen sized.

Likewise, does everyone here know how small Da Vinci's Mona Lisa is? I've seen it, in the Louvre, and it's not much bigger than a standard hardbound book cover. In contrast, Picasso's Guernica is almost a mural, which is most certainly by his explicit intent.

But beyond the issue of sheer size, the greatest art really does need to be seen in the original to experience full impact. It's a hard thing to explain analytically, but I think it's undeniable.

caw

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I love seeing art in person. Twice, the result has blown me away.

I thought I was familiar with Frederick Edwin Church's 'Cotopaxi' from a Metropolitan Museum of Art catalog from 1982. About ten years ago I got to see the real thing on tour. It was smaller than I expected, and the brushwork was far more sublime.

I'd always sneered a bit at Rothko's solid color field paintings, until I saw two of them in a gallery. Pictures don't convey the subtle changes in brushstroke texture and paint thickness, or the rather hypnotic effect the painting have in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.