PDA

View Full Version : Help! My house stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinks!

Devil Ledbetter
09-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I came downstairs this morning to discover that overnight my house had developed a horrible stench. It reeks like animal pee. It seems to be emanating from the basement. I had my husband pull the carpeting out of the basement and I opened the windows but it still stinks!

How do I figure out the source? How do I get rid of it? It's hideous. I put a crockpot filled with spices and apples, but that's only going to mask it. I need to get rid of it NOW.

I do have 2 kittens but they have three large litter boxes that we keep clean. The stink isn't necessarily strictly "cat pee." It's a bit sharper and more b.o. like.

I really need help but this isn't severe enough for Conquering Challenges. Any ideas? Is the a demon infestation? ;) seriously though. I need ideas on what to do. Help!

Kerosene
09-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Ammonia laid out in bowls to soak up the smells.

Ammonia and water to clean everything, twice, thrice.

alleycat
09-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Have you have any work done in the area lately?

Have you opened any windows? They are some outdoor plants that smell like what you describe.

Does it smell like something dead, such as a mouse? Or a moose? ;-)

Thump
09-19-2012, 03:38 PM
The smell doesn't necessarily come from the house itself. Check the surroundings for works. As stated above, some plants smell funky. Also, maybe there's something dead outside or which found its way inside.

If you can't find a source there and you're sure it's coming from the basement, check to see what's in the basement walls or around. Maybe there's a broken pipe underground and it's seeping through the basement walls?

Ambrosia
09-19-2012, 04:35 PM
There is a product called ABATE. You can buy it online and spray the area (once you find it) with it and it will take away the smell.

Until then, I recommend picking up some Organic Natural Magic Odor Eliminator. I have a rat and mouse infestation and you haven't met stench until you have rodent feces and urine in everything. The Natural Magic made it possible for me to breath again while I got some of the other areas under control. It doesn't mask the odor, it absorbs it. And the touch of vanilla is just a bonus.

Good luck!

regdog
09-19-2012, 05:04 PM
There are several plants that smell like cat urine, white spruce, boxwood, valerian,
viburnum tinus. Also an outside cat may have sprayed. Other animals can release a musky cat pee like scent, muskrats, skunks, foxes and ferrets.

KellyAssauer
09-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Whatever you do...

Do NOT use bleach on cat urine.
Cat urine has a high ammonia content.

Chlorine + Ammonia = mustard gas

I had a neighbor try this once in an unventilated basement.
It resulted in an ambulance ride, and an overnight ER stay.

swachski
09-19-2012, 06:14 PM
This sounds more like a demon infestation to me. Check the yellow pages for exorcists. Or Angie's List.

Snowstorm
09-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Do you have a bathroom that's not used? I had a bathroom not used for several months and the P-trap in the tub dried out. With the water plug gone, the opening let sewer gas out. The fix was opening the faucet for a few seconds.

Lavern08
09-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Who you gonna call?

Ghostbusters! :tongue

KTC
09-19-2012, 07:22 PM
I came downstairs this morning to discover that overnight my house had developed a horrible stench. It reeks like animal pee. It seems to be emanating from the basement. I had my husband pull the carpeting out of the basement and I opened the windows but it still stinks!

How do I figure out the source? How do I get rid of it? It's hideous. I put a crockpot filled with spices and apples, but that's only going to mask it. I need to get rid of it NOW.

I do have 2 kittens but they have three large litter boxes that we keep clean. The stink isn't necessarily strictly "cat pee." It's a bit sharper and more b.o. like.

I really need help but this isn't severe enough for Conquering Challenges. Any ideas? Is the a demon infestation? ;) seriously though. I need ideas on what to do. Help!

do you keep your potatoes in the basement? if so, did you peek in to see if maybe one of them has passed on to the other side?

Devil Ledbetter
09-19-2012, 08:28 PM
do you keep your potatoes in the basement? if so, did you peek in to see if maybe one of them has passed on to the other side?

I don't. It's not potato smell but boy those can ge smelly.

Our naughty old dog used to pee on the carpet down there. We always cleaned it up but we had water down there following torrential rains in mid August. Maybe it came back and inspired the kitten to pee on it, or maybe some homeless wino has taken up residence down there. Smells more like the latter. I'll investigate further a lunch and report back.

PorterStarrByrd
09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
If it just happened overnight look at what has changed overnight.

Did you remember to take shower this morning?

Devil Ledbetter
09-19-2012, 09:40 PM
If it just happened overnight look at what has changed overnight.

Did you remember to take shower this morning?:D

Here is the update: House still reeks at lunch despite windows being wide open and crockpot cinnamon-apple potpourri. I inspected the perimeter of the house outside-nothing amiss. Floor drain smells fine. Under the basement stairs however is a suspicious, stanky wet spot where the old, outside wall of the house meets the newer addition. It seems kitties have been peeing in that corner for whatever reason and bacteria has reached critical mass.:eek:

Gretad08
09-19-2012, 09:51 PM
I had a traumatic smell experience last winter. Apparently a mouse or some other critter died inside of the walls. It was HORRIBLE!

I put out bowls of baking soda, and also glasses of vinegar. That's what I read to do on the web. Not sure if it helped, b/c the smell was still present for a week or so, but it was probably much less severe than if I'd done nothing.

Blech, I hate bad smells!

Total derail, but I just saw a cool pinterest idea. Soak orange peels in vinegar for a couple of weeks. Afterwards you have orange scented natural cleaning product, instead of the gross vinegar smell.

shakeysix
09-19-2012, 10:11 PM
peroxide might take out the odor. i know it works on a carpet if you shoot it into the pad with a hypodermic needle. i used to have a tomcat who was bad about spraying our basement carpet. a professional carpet cleaner taught me the peroxide trick. should work on concrete, too--s6

backslashbaby
09-19-2012, 10:21 PM
They have an enzyme product called OUT, and there are others, that can help. In order to get the enzymes to really keep on eating up all the bad stuff, get the area fairly moist with the product, then duct-tape down plastic sheeting or garbage bags over the area to keep it moist for a couple of days. Let it really do its work before it can dry.

Afterwards, use any high-powered product you like to clean it up. A rented steam cleaner with a sudsy cleanser is really good. Or mimic that with a wet-vac if you have one.

Devil Ledbetter
09-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Put fresh cat litter on it at lunch to absorb moisture and odors. That helped, but my husband cleaned and wet-dry vacced that so now it's bad again. Putting down more litter now to dry it out; will sweep up later and apply heavy duty cat urine odor zapper or nuclear weapons as needed.

Sadly this mess is right under my family room/kitchen area, and this is open to the basement via a half wall and no door. Barf.

I had the worst possible day at work too, and I can't even look forward to getting home. Calgon take me away.

Al Stevens
09-20-2012, 01:13 AM
I'd move. If the new house smelled the same, I'd know it wasn't the house.

kayleamay
09-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Have you tried coffee grounds? We used to sprinkle them all over stinky stuff at the hospital. Masks the odor and absorbs quite a bit of stench if you let them sit for awhile then vacuum them up. Just a thought.

Chumplet
09-20-2012, 03:27 AM
A tomcat may have marked one of your basement windows during the night. They spray on the glass and it drips down. After it dries, you can hardly see it. The smell easily seeps into the basement. Strong vinegar wipe-down should get rid of it.

Jess Haines
09-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Sprinkle (a LOT) of baking soda over the area. That will help absorb the stench.

Sorry this happened. Ran into a similar problem with my cats. The only thing that handled the mess was to use the baking soda to absorb the smell (sprinkled all over the carpet, left overnight, vaccuumed up the next day), and then a bowl of hot water with lemon-scented amonia and a scrub brush to take care of the stains, etc.

Stlight
09-21-2012, 04:05 AM
If you use ammonia to clean the area, there is a good chance it will smell like a strange cat marking his territory to your cats, or the one who originally marked (if that's what it is) it. If so, they or he will mark over the ammonia.

{If the lemon made a difference, good. I've never met anyone who had lemon scented ammonia.)

Marking territory, protecting their territory from other cats, is important to cats. An infinite number of litter boxes will not keep your cats from protecting their turf.

White vinegar helps. The special cat urine eliminator mixes help - pet stores/ on line or not.

If your kitties are male are they of age? If female are they of age and attracking toms?

Chumplet
09-21-2012, 04:23 AM
So you found the source of the stink, but still can't neutralize it? I feel for you. We had a strange pee smell INSIDE our leased car, and it took 6 months of various treatments to finally get rid of it. Every time the weather turned damp, it came back. It's finally gone now, I put some small space neutralizing pucks in the car.

KTC
09-21-2012, 02:29 PM
So you found the source of the stink, but still can't neutralize it? I feel for you. We had a strange pee smell INSIDE our leased car, and it took 6 months of various treatments to finally get rid of it. Every time the weather turned damp, it came back. It's finally gone now, I put some small space neutralizing pucks in the car.

stop peeing in your car. der.

Devil Ledbetter
09-23-2012, 09:55 PM
So you found the source of the stink, but still can't neutralize it? I feel for you. We had a strange pee smell INSIDE our leased car, and it took 6 months of various treatments to finally get rid of it. Every time the weather turned damp, it came back. It's finally gone now, I put some small space neutralizing pucks in the car.When I was 18 I had a '75 Nova in great condition, but that my cat peed in while freaking out on the way to the vet. There was no getting rid of the smell, and on sunny days it was the worst.

Fortunately (?) I totaled that car on the freeway on my way to college one icy day.

As to the basement issue, the smell is gone at least for human noses. I decided that instead of fighting the cats on this issue, I'd simply moving all of the litter boxes under the basement stairs so they can pee just where they want to pee, with impunity. They are thrilled of course.

GiantRampagingPencil
09-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Whatever you do...

Do NOT use bleach on cat urine.
Cat urine has a high ammonia content.

Chlorine + Ammonia = mustard gas

I had a neighbor try this once in an unventilated basement.
It resulted in an ambulance ride, and an overnight ER stay.

I thought you had to add muratic acid to get the full on mustard experience. I mixed chlorine and ammonia once when I was a kid. Nasty. I was going to add muratic acid (I didn't know about the formula) but the fumes drove me out of the house first.)