William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
[Original Charlie Hebdo Thread from 2012] French Mag to Publish Cartoons of Prophet Mohammed

A French satirical magazine is set to publish several cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed on Wednesday, a move that is likely to inflame the Islamic faithful and militants who have already rioted in more than 20 countries over a movie mocking the prophet.

Depictions of the prophet are strictly prohibited and considered blasphemous by Muslims. Cartoons of Muhammad published in Denmark in 2005 and then reproduced in newspapers across Europe triggered riots throughout the Mideast and Africa. Churches and embassies were torched and at least 100 people died in the outbreaks and police crackdowns.

The magazine “Charlie Hebdo” has confirmed that it will publish the cartoons, but has not revealed what they will depict. French newspaper “Le Monde” reports that some of the cartoons show the prophet in “particularly explicit poses,” without providing any further detail.

The move comes as Muslims are still simmering after riots in Egypt, Libya, Tunisia and nearly 20 other countries over the move “Innocence of Muslims.” U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died during an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

French government ministers have criticized the magazine’s decision and police in Paris have stepped up security around its offices.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/09/french-mag-to-publish-cartoons-of-prophet-mohammed/

Last edited:

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
It’s not the first time the anti-establishment, left-wing magazine has courted controversy. In 2011 the offices of “Charlie Hedbo” were bombed after it published an Arab Spring edition with the Prophet Muhammad as “guest editor” on the cover.

Especially ballsy after the above.

What would happen if every magazine in the word published cartoon depictions of Muhammad? All on the same day? Would the extremists implode?

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, this could be a good thing. It would show those that threaten violence that no matter how much they rage, they cant' control the world's media outlets. Some bad things could come of this, but if it keeps happening, then the muslims that are for violence will eventually get the hint that no one is going to listen to them.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
What would happen if every magazine in the word published cartoon depictions of Muhammad? All on the same day? Would the extremists implode?

In my opinion, this could be a good thing. It would show those that threaten violence that no matter how much they rage, they cant' control the world's media outlets. Some bad things could come of this, but if it keeps happening, then the muslims that are for violence will eventually get the hint that no one is going to listen to them.

So thought the woman who organized "Everyone Draw Mohammed Day."

She has been swept away forever into the witness protection program and now lives in daily fear for her life.

I'm not saying "DON'T DO IT!" I'm more saying "Count the cost, my friend."

If you truly believe you MUST stand up for your right to speak and publish whatever you want ... just realize that while the pen is mightier than the sword, swords still hurt like hell, especially when they are being employed for the purpose of a decapitation.

Would you give your life for this belief of yours?

Yes??

Okay, then. Go ahead and do it.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score

I used to work with people with behavioral challenges. We would sometimes use a technique called desensitization. If, for instance, a kid threw a tantrum every time he heard the word "no," we would write and follow a plan ensuring he heard the word frequently and regularly until it no longer bothered him. The thing that we always had to remind ourselves of, however, was that the behavior would always get worse before it started to improve.

Taking this technique to the world stage would probably result in several massive tantrums, which would probably mean a lot of damage and death.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I used to work with people with behavioral challenges. We would sometimes use a technique called desensitization. If, for instance, a kid threw a tantrum every time he heard the word "no," we would write and follow a plan ensuring he heard the word frequently and regularly until it no longer bothered him. The thing that we always had to remind ourselves of, however, was that the behavior would always get worse before it started to improve.

Taking this technique to the world stage would probably result in several massive tantrums, which would probably mean a lot of damage and death.

Yes. And the two part question that now follows is purely accedemic:

a) Is it worth it to endure the "gets worse before it starts to improve" stage?

and

b) Who wants to go first?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. And the two part question that now follows is purely accedemic:

a) Is it worth it to endure the "gets worse before it starts to improve" stage?

and

b) Who wants to go first?
A: Hell yes it's worth it. Otherwise you're handing over control of the media around the entire world to a relatively small, violent minority. That can not be allowed. Period.

B: I don't know. It should be done by someone in a powerful position who can challenge them.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
It's easy for me to say this is a great idea because I'm not in a place where I am likely to be affected by the inevitable backlash. I would hate for my statements and art to be the cause of someone else's injury or death.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
A: Hell yes it's worth it. Otherwise you're handing over control of the media around the entire world to a relatively small, violent minority. That can not be allowed. Period.
Not publishing cartoons about Mohammed (and using his image, which is the thing that most offends) is hardly handing over control of the media.

If a government were to censor those cartoons and refuse to allow them to be published, that would be one thing.

But to do it just because you can? Knowing it could well mean the death of human beings?

Stupid and irresponsible.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
It's easy for me to say this is a great idea because I'm not in a place where I am likely to be affected by the inevitable backlash. I would hate for my statements and art to be the cause of someone else's injury or death.

unless the statements were delivered at such volume that they shattered an eardrum, or unless your art toppled over or fell from the wall and caused bodily harm, your statements or art are incapable of injuring or killing anyone.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying "DON'T DO IT!" I'm more saying "Count the cost, my friend."

If you truly believe you MUST stand up for your right to speak and publish whatever you want ... just realize that while the pen is mightier than the sword, swords still hurt like hell, especially when they are being employed for the purpose of a decapitation.

Would you give your life for this belief of yours?

Yes??

Okay, then. Go ahead and do it.

+1

Except I'd add, Would you give the lives of total strangers for this belief of yours?

The violence of these extremists is deplorable. Goading them knowingly, on the pretense of defending free speech, doesn't seem like particularly sound strategy. Moreover, it seems monumentally selfish to me.

I don't agree with the "if we're silent, the terrorists win" argument. I don't see any problem in tempering freedom with responsibility and consideration for others. That said, while I wouldn't agree to a ban on depictions, I would agree that flaunting such depictions is no more than a life-and-death version of trolling.

In other words, what PD said.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score

Sorry, I don't see this as a good thing especially if some innocent is killed.

Right now, I see this as nothing more than a magazines gimmick at picking up sales versus any defense of free speech.

And no, Muslims or radicals of any type will not eventually get the hint. They will just continue to use this as the west not respecting their beliefs.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Not publishing cartoons about Mohammed (and using his image, which is the thing that most offends) is hardly handing over control of the media.

If a government were to censor those cartoons and refuse to allow them to be published, that would be one thing.

But to do it just because you can? Knowing it could well mean the death of human beings?

Stupid and irresponsible.
The problem is, they'd do this about anything that's critical of Islam. That is causing global censorship on a subject. Also, what happens when other groups realize that rioting and threats of violence will get anything they don't like taken out of the media? Even if it is something seemingly minor, we can't allow violent groups to tell the whole world what to do. Bowing down to them on issues is an irresponsible act and will only encourage them to continue throwing these tantrums to get their way.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
unless the statements were delivered at such volume that they shattered an eardrum, or unless your art toppled over or fell from the wall and caused bodily harm, your statements or art are incapable of injuring or killing anyone.

Hey, that could happen!

Fair enough, but if I a creating something with the intent of inciting riots, I have to accept the likelihood that my creation is the (direct or indirect) cause of someone's assault.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com

...wow.

And, yeah, I've changed my opinion on this whole "never show a picture of mohammed" thing. I understand being offended (well, I don't, but for the sake of this post, let's pretend I do) but losing your shit and killing people is completely uncalled for. Complain on the internet. Write long, dull blog posts about your offense.

Granted, I don't want to see more violence, but are we really willing to placate a couple of extremists because they're so hurt over their religion being criticized? What if this was extremist Christians threatening to riot over plain and simple pictures of Jesus? They need to get over themselves, IMO.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
...wow.

And, yeah, I've changed my opinion on this whole "never show a picture of mohammed" thing. I understand being offended (well, I don't, but for the sake of this post, let's pretend I do) but losing your shit and killing people is completely uncalled for. Complain on the internet. Write long, dull blog posts about your offense.

Granted, I don't want to see more violence, but are we really willing to placate a couple of extremists because they're so hurt over their religion being criticized? What if this was extremist Christians threatening to riot over plain and simple pictures of Jesus? They need to get over themselves, IMO.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/extremists

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The problem is, they'd do this about anything that's critical of Islam. That is causing global censorship on a subject. Also, what happens when other groups realize that rioting and threats of violence will get anything they don't like taken out of the media? Even if it is something seemingly minor, we can't allow violent groups to tell the whole world what to do. Bowing down to them on issues is an irresponsible act and will only encourage them to continue throwing these tantrums to get their way.
Do you really believe that continuing to publish such things will lessen the violent reaction?

William Haskins said:
Hey, I didn't kill anyone. I just whipped the crowd into a frenzy. It was their decision to burn down the city. Not my fault.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Do you really believe that continuing to publish such things will lessen the violent reaction?
Yes. It's hard to have a violent reaction everyday, all day over something that is continuing to happen at a steady pace, regardless of their convictions. Even the Imams who are just using their followers for the sake of whipping up anti-whatever feelings will realize that they need to start using new material rather than complaining about the same thing everyday. The followers will probably also eventually see that their actions are only increasing the thing that they don't want to happen.

Also, it will probably help to create a backlash against the extremists amongst moderate Muslims who realize that these people are only causing Islam's image and the image of Allah and Muhammad to look worse world wide.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the extremists really care if some moderates dislike what they do. They've been able to force their own people into subservience, threaten the mass media and/or force their messages of hate across the airwaves, and kill with impunity for the most part.

I don't see any moderates speaking out or actively trying to stop them. Why? Because they know they'll be targeted for reprisal if they do. It took Morsi around four days to get around to calling for peace in Egypt.

The video was totally idiotic and I can't really blame for anyone in a Muslim country for being upset with it. But the riots had been planned well in advance, according to some experts on the region, and the vid was just another excuse. And that's the thing of it. The people who start those riots, the ones who plan it and/or participate in them, they don't care what another country does but if there's a hint of anti-Mohammedanism there, then it's clobberin' time!

I'd agree that publishing these cartoons is in bad taste, but at the same time, not publishing them is giving into what the terrorists want most. They want the entire world to be in awe of their religion and it just ain't happening. I respect everyone's right to believe what they wish but not at the expense of my own thoughts and ideals, especially when those who want to impose their own thoughts and ideals on others continuously spew their own hatred of Judaism and Christianity. It works both ways...but they can only see one way.