PDA

View Full Version : sometimes life just keeps throwing crap at you

sheadakota
09-19-2012, 03:45 AM
I live in the country and we have always had our share of barn cats, but they have all been glorified house kitties wanna-bes. they all get vaccinated and flea prevention and are very loving and social.
Anyway- over the years many have died- either Hit by cars or just disappeared. Our lone survivor of 14 years has slowed down so last summer we got two sweet kittens- brothers who my kids named Charlie and Cookie. I can honestly say of all the cats I have ever known these were by far the sweetest natured and even though I didn't want too, I fell completely and totally in love with them.

My 14 Year old daughter would put them in a dog crate at night at the barn just to keep them safe and then let them out again in the morning. they never strayed far, but we always worried when we couldn't find one or the other. Three days ago my daughter decided to let them stay out all night- she was afraid but thought they were old enough to be safe.

Today it happened. Charlie the beautiful brown tabby with the black feet and green eyes didn't come to breakfast. My husband found him on the road dead.

we had to break my daughter's heart when she came home from school today and of course she thinks its all her fault for letting them stay out. She is inconsolable. (My son is upset as well but he's 15 and doesn't want to show it.)

I know keeping a cat outside runs the risk of a shorter life span-but it still sucks. I miss Charlie.

He is in a box in the garage right now to be taken to the vet tomorrow for cremation. My daughter wants his ashes.

Not Solomon Brown
09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
So sorry to hear that. I have three cats and love them all dearly. They really are part of the family.
I moved a couple of years ago and now live beside a busy main road. I haven't let them out since. They want to go out, but they wouldn't survive that long if they did. They have the run of the house and are happy.
When I lived in the country they, and my other cats, were let out - and I did have casualties.
It's a hard decision to know what to do and sorry if I sound a little rambley, but my thoughts are with you and your family.

heyjude
09-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Aw, shea. I'm so sorry. :( What a terrible thing.

Hugs and love to you and yours.

regdog
09-19-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm so sorry. Hugs to you and your daughter.

We just got hit with a fine by the city we live in for feeding strays. Our neighbor reported us. Really gets me. We feed 1 semi crippled cat and they get their undies in a bunch.

KTC
09-19-2012, 02:50 PM
So sorry. )-:

Cliff Face
09-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Sorry to hear that.

sheadakota
09-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks guys. Charlie's brother, Cookie keeps looking for him- so sad.

We are about 1000 feet off the road and while its not terribly busy, cars do go fast on it. There are woods above our property and they have over 100 acres to explore without crossing the road- why do they keep crossing it? I would keep them all inside, but we have a very cat aggressive dog. The barn cats know not to come in the yard and sit outside the fence and tease her :)
Charlie would often walk inside the yard and wait until the dog saw him and then watch as she would charge toward him only to slip out at the last minute. What a stinker.