pseudonyms and privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you been tracked down and bothered by someone (previous acquaintance or stranger) -- in real life or online -- as a result of publishing under your own name?

Or do you use a pseudonym to avoid this happening?

I'm planning to switch to a pseudonym to avoid attracting the attention of people I don't want any more contact with, in case I end up getting any publicity someday. :) I'm interested in people's experiences with maintaining privacy in such situations.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never an issue with me. Though I'm not afraid of anyone in my past either. Besides, my fans are nice. Both of them. :)

Jeff

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
I use a pseudonym, partially for privacy but mostly because my actual surname is quite forgettable and so common you can't really Google it. The people who I wouldn't want to find me already can't do so because of my actual name.

Here's something to consider: when you are published there is a copyright page in the front of the book. Even for writers who use pseudonyms, sometimes that copyright is under your actual name. It seems to vary among publishers which name they will put it under.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to switch to a pseudonym to avoid attracting the attention of people I don't want any more contact with, in case I end up getting any publicity someday. :) I'm interested in people's experiences with maintaining privacy in such situations.

Folks have different reasons for choosing a pseudonoym and all of them are valid reasons.

However, in this day and age, with the availability and ease of sourcing information, if someone really wants to find you that badly, they will.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
However, in this day and age, with the availability and ease of sourcing information, if someone really wants to find you that badly, they will.
The pseudonym might keep them from having you at the top of their mind, however.

If a writer has a stalker in their past, they have to worry about that person tracking them down no matter what steps the writer takes to hide themselves.

However, if the writer just has an ex-neighbour who was a mooch and laboured under the delusion that they and the writer were the best of buddies, then using a pseudonym might be enough.

The mooch probably isn't actively hunting for the writer, but they might make the effort to get in touch again if they see the writer's name on a book in the bookstore.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
The mooch probably isn't actively hunting for the writer, but they might make the effort to get in touch again if they see the writer's name on a book in the bookstore.

This is the primary reason I think about using a penname. I have an ex who... makes a nuisance of himself with ex-girlfriends. I feel like I've finally fallen off his radar, but if I'm ever successful enough to be visible, he'll likely pop back up to see if he can get anything out of it. But that won't matter if I end up using my married name.

The second reason is that my name is difficult to pronounce and spell (despite having only six letters and being fairly phonetic).

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
"moochers" and other family and friends.....that's exactly why I intend to as well. In fact, a neighbor was browsing my bookshelf and saw "On Writing Horror" in there and said "Are you planning to write a book?" I sort of fumbled that one and said I liked to read essays...

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Have you been tracked down and bothered by someone (previous acquaintance or stranger) -- in real life or online -- as a result of publishing under your own name?

My friends Google me, just as I Google my friends. Employers will Google you, too. Since I write and publish erotica, and don't want some of my family and professional contacts to know it, I hide behind two pseudonyms. I never use them together in one document, nor in the same document with my real name.

Every now and then, I Google myself to make sure my security is intact.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm not working with kids, I'm not in a local PTA, and I will never again knowingly work for employers whose religious beliefs would make them balk at my fiction. I keep my different pen names separate more for market clarity than privacy.

Given the market focus on erotica right now, if anyone 'outed' me in my local community I might just grin - then own a tenuous connection with E. L. James and the other erotica flavors of the month. I'm already an artist. Everyone knows we're crazy to begin with.

There are one or two folks who might surface if I ever won a lottery (or had the publishing equivalent), but I'll deal with them then.

Theundergroundauthor

Believe in yourself!
Registered
Reaction score
Nah. Bring it on! You're not really famous til you have your own bona fide stalker!!

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have a pseudonym only because I live in a small town and anytime I got involved in something or the few times I won something people would ask the most obnoxious questions. I mostly just want to avoid that.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've had it happen (because I didn't use a pen name) related to some non-fiction material (training texts, seminar syllabi, presentations, etc.) intended for a select/restricted clientele.

It was work related and more of an unwelcome annoyance rather than a real problem. Reinforcing the cautionary warning about the confidentiality of the material at the outset seems to have significantly ameliorated the problem.

For works of fiction, especially those based on or inspired by actual events, I've determined a pen name is the best way to go - at least for me.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a bona fide stalker, and I'm not remotely famous.

And pseudonyms won't help protect your privacy at all: they're far too flimsy to do that, I'm afraid.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I've had a bona fide stalker, and I'm not remotely famous.

And pseudonyms won't help protect your privacy at all: they're far too flimsy to do that, I'm afraid.

I disagree that pseudonyms won't help AT ALL. I agree that they can be unraveled by someone who is dedicated to the quest, but they certainly help protect your privacy from casual or accidental breaches.

I have a dozen books on the market and there are only four people in my life who know about my hobby. If I weren't using a pseudonym, the number would surely be higher, if from nothing other than casual google searches of my name and then putting two and two together. So, yeah, the pseudonym's given me some protection.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
My friends Google me, just as I Google my friends.

I recall an event where a member of another forum published erotica under her own name. A righteous born-again at her workplace found out and outed her in front of her coworkers and her boss. She was forced to give up writing erotica or lose her job.

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
Here's something to consider: when you are published there is a copyright page in the front of the book. Even for writers who use pseudonyms, sometimes that copyright is under your actual name. It seems to vary among publishers which name they will put it under.

Gah! Surely if you were adamant you didn't want your real name there, they'd let you use the pseudonym? Anyone know for sure?

Yes, this is what I worry about. Personality-wise, the people I'm thinking of fall somewhere between mooch and stalker. I don't want them getting interested in me again plus knowing where I live via finding things in a Google search.

I have a dozen books on the market and there are only four people in my life who know about my hobby. If I weren't using a pseudonym, the number would surely be higher, if from nothing other than casual google searches of my name and then putting two and two together. So, yeah, the pseudonym's given me some protection.

I recall an event where a member of another forum published erotica under her own name. A righteous born-again at her workplace found out and outed her in front of her coworkers and her boss. She was forced to give up writing erotica or lose her job.

Gah! Well, fortunately I don't think that sort of thing will be a problem for me because of the circles I move in and the nature of what I'm writing.

But yes, it's all about those Google searches. If certain people see that I'm doing something visible (and maybe have industry connections, or cash, or just deserve their jealousy and revenge -- who knows what goes through crazy people's minds?) and at the same time notice that I've moved to a place that's interesting to them, it could motivate them to try to contact me or who knows what. I don't want that.

And on the incredibly off-off-off chance that your books were more successful than you expected, to the point that you'd be hearing from random past acquaintances out of the woodwork, plus acquiring crazy stalkerish fans, it would then be too late if you hadn't used a pseudonym from the start. (I admit I secretly entertain this tiny sliver of a hair of possibility. :) Because who knows? If I've learned one thing in life, it's that it isn't predictable.)

I'm interested to hear about more people's experiences in this area.

Last edited:

T J Deen

A Necessary Evil
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, i'm so glad i found this topic. I have been considering a pseudonym for some time because I work with very dangerous criminals for a living and the job has good days and then there are some very violent days.

I just don't ever want anything being traced back to my wife or children.

granted, most criminal are very dumb, but that doesn't mean they don't have friends or associates that aren't.

is this a valid enough reason for an agent/publisher to work with you on using a pseudonym?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
is this a valid enough reason for an agent/publisher to work with you on using a pseudonym?
Any reason is a valid reason. It's your career, not the agent or publisher's.

And to them, it makes no difference because the readers just want a name to remember you by. You can build your reputation under your own name or a made-up name; it won't change anyone's profit margins.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A pseudonym isn't much protection. Anyone who really wants to find you and your real name will be able to do so without too much trouble. And if you're already working with dangerous criminals, who presumably know your name, how will using a pseudonym for your writing prevent them from knowing who you are?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
A pseudonym isn't much protection. Anyone who really wants to find you and your real name will be able to do so without too much trouble. And if you're already working with dangerous criminals, who presumably know your name, how will using a pseudonym for your writing prevent them from knowing who you are?

This was sort of my thought on it.

T J Deen

A Necessary Evil
Registered
Reaction score

They only know my last name as it is printed on the Name plate below my shield. Many of them can't even pronounce it and just refer to me as 'Officer T'. Then there are others who take the time to pronounce it and ask me if they're saying it right and whether they are or not i always say something like 'you got it' or 'sure'. The latter is rare but every now and again you find a career criminal who actually finished high school and may have some college.

I'm not sure i understand your question about how it will prevent them from knowing who i am. Are you referring to the part of the business where a publisher tries to market an author instead of the story? If so i don't know how to approach that yet. But i just have a general assuption that a pseudonym could prevent the bulk of the malfactors from googling my name and finding links to trademarks and copyrights registered in my real name, no? Or am i still a long way off from understanting how this works?

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com

What kind of job did she have?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Pen names also help with marketing as Googling won't bring up you swim team medal and blog about petunias etc, just your books.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons to use pseudonyms. While they may not be the greatest at hiding your identity, they provide an alternate designator for the particular book(s) you're writing. But that's really about all they do.

Jeff

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
T J Deen, what I'm referring to is that the people who you work with already know your real name, and that real name is going to be far more useful for them if they want to find out where you live and so on. How will using a pseudonym when and if you are ever published stop them doing this when they're already well aware of what your real name is?

Status
Not open for further replies.