PDA

View Full Version : Would like someone to coauthor a YA book?

Kaleidoscopes
09-18-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right section, sorry!
I'd like to find someone to write one chapter in a characters perspective, then me write a chapter in another characters pov, etc. (:
I've always wanted to try this, and think it would be fun! Just message me if you're interested (:

sarahdalton
09-18-2012, 01:38 PM
That would be a cool idea. I'm not sure I have enough time to commit to something like that at the moment, but would be interested to see how you get on.

missesdash
09-19-2012, 04:32 AM
This would probably get you more bites in the beta readers, mentors, writing partners whatever section. You should say a little about the book though, so as not to waste anyone's time. Genre and a bit of the themes, at the very least.

Sage
09-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Yep, I'm going to port this to the Writing Partner forum, but I'll leave a redirect so YA authors can come if they're curious. I agree that you should include more information about the book

Sage
09-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Also, don't get too discouraged if you don't get an offer right away. After all, you're new around here, and so taking time to let people get to know you might spark interest in working with you.

Unimportant
09-19-2012, 04:52 AM
I'd like to find someone to write one chapter in a characters perspective, then me write a chapter in another characters pov, etc. (:
I've always wanted to try this, and think it would be fun! Just message me if you're interested (:

Hi K,

While it sounds like you're thinking of doing this as a fun exercise, it would probably pay to put your business hat on and consider what will happen when you and your co-author finish the book. To be honest, it may be safest for the two of you to have a signed contract in place. Who owns the book at the end? Who owns the characters and world and holds derivative rights to create further works with those characters or setting? Will the book be submitted for publication? If so, who will have the responsibility for selecting agents/editors/publishers to submit to? Who will manage the submissions process? Who will have final say in editing the content, both at the story and prose level, before it's submitted (and, if it comes to that, after it's accepted for publication)?

It pays to think about this stuff ahead of time, so that in a year or two or five you and your co author don't butt heads about this and have it all end in tears and lawsuits.

quicklime
09-19-2012, 07:47 PM

I highly respect a LOT of folks here. There's maybe two or three I'd EVER consider co-authoring a book with. And I hide my feelings of unrequited admiration like a timid schoolgirl....

that said, the folks I'd trade a hand to write with, that's from watching them here, seeing how they think, view the work, and what they are capable of. We don't know any of that about you. So, stick around, make your presence known, become a participating member--you may very well be able to get a co-author, but to do so you'll need to put in some time of your own, nobody is going to just leap in blindly....at least, nobody you will WANT to partner with.

rosebyname
09-29-2012, 08:07 AM
I was just doing this with another writer but she got sidetracked and is not able to continue, though we only did two charpters. We can try a couple of chapters and see if we mesh. PM me.