PDA

View Full Version : the best chocolate....

preyer
01-17-2006, 09:20 AM
is made right here in dayton, ohio. esther price. i go in for the dark chocolate, myself.

worst chocolate? i'd say godiva ranks right up there. truly nasty crap, that, which, imo, people only think is good because it's ridiculously pricey.

other good chocolate is lindt. hm hm good, boy howdy.

PrettySpecialGal
01-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Lindt Lindor Truffles.

yummy yummy yum.
m m mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... can't stand it, it's so good.

Sage
01-17-2006, 09:25 AM
I've never heard of esther price. Does it get sold outside of Dayton (I'm just down the road in Columbus)?

I'm partial to Sees chocolate myself. Mmm, I should get some more chocolate suckers & have one each day while doing BIC. Good (though unhealthy) motivator.

maestrowork
01-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Guylian from Belgium. To die for.

September skies
01-17-2006, 10:17 AM
I can't recollect by whom, but my absolute fav chocolate is from Belgium...
So rich! Mmmmmm

mdin
01-17-2006, 10:19 AM
I like Rolos.

writerterri
01-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Good old fashoned Hersheys. It's chick food. Her-she's

Carole
01-17-2006, 03:06 PM
I like Godiva chocolate. I think it's num-nummy!

But I also love Cadbury and Dove.

Note to self - Dean and Deluca dark chocolate is *eh*...okay.

I'm not a fan of Hershey's. To me, it's too brittle and dry. I want something that's going to start melting before I can even get it out of the wrapper.....yummmmm......

poetinahat
01-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Unlike pizza or a precious few assorted other things, bad chocolate is NOT worth having.

As if getting transferred to Heaven weren't enough, there are at least three (and probably at least six) chocolatiers within 5 km of my house -- all of whom make their own. My favorite is Belle Fleur (http://www.bellefleur.com.au/) -- exquisite stuff, and their window display is always amazing. Around Father's Day, they build a life-size barbecue -- complete with LPG tank, sausages, prawns and beer bottles -- out of chocolate. (I'll put in the photo later if I can find it.)

Any AWers who come by to say hi will get an automatic trip to Belle Fleur, with coffee next door at Bar Lazio....

KTC
01-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Terry's Chocolate Orange.

Carole
01-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Oh, get outta my head! I LOVE those! I like the raspberry ones, too. Plus, you get to smash it on the table before you open it! There are so many pluses there for a PMSing female. You get to smash something and then you get to eat it...and it's CHOCOLATE! It's a win-win-win situation!!!

KTC
01-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Yes, Carole...I can see the pluses too. A frustrated male gets a kick out of a good smash and eat too!

Christine N.
01-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Mmmm, Cadbury. My aunt, who lives in UK right now, sends me giant bars of it a couple of times a year.

I like Hershey's too, as a backup. Low grade chocolate gives me heartburn.

Now, my favorite chocolate 'candy' is Reese's PB cups. Anytime PB and chocolate are together, it's a good thing.

NeuroFizz
01-17-2006, 05:53 PM
For American chocolates, Ghirardelli (hopefully spelled correctly) is best. I like their mint chocolate. It's best from the factory in San Francsico, munching a bar at Fisherman's Wharf on a foggy morning, with all of the ocean and seafood smells.

maestrowork
01-17-2006, 06:43 PM
..many pluses there for a PMSing female. Yopu get to smash something and then you get to eat it...and it's CHOCOLATE! It's a win-win-win situation!!!

That's why I smear myself with chocolate sometimes...

underthecity
01-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Worlds Finest Chocolate, usually sold by schoolkids in front of grocery stores. Also available on their website. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Their chocolate with almond bars are soooo awesome.

Their chocolate mint meltaways are also awesome. Those chocolate mints are also sold in Krogers made by Russel Stover. Same thing, just more accessible.

allen

PS, Ray, I'll see you this Saturday at B&N!

robeiae
01-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Gerryd-...Jeryd-...Gerade-...Gherahd-...Jherid-...

Goddammit...I can't spell Ghirardelli!

Rob :)

maestrowork
01-17-2006, 07:29 PM
I want to add: Godiva truffles. Mmmm. Cadbury is good, too, and so is Lindt. I usually don't care for American chocolates (too sweet, not rich enough) but there are a few local chocolatiers that are quite good. I like the little Ghirardelli squares (mint or regular milk chocolate).

Darnit, now I have a craving for good chocolates.

JoeEkaitis
01-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Cadbury Royal Dark. $1.17 a bar at Target. A bargain for a few minutes of pure hedonism.

Unique
01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
WalMart (yes, the evil empire...) sells a big milk chocolate bar for $1.

You know what? For some cheap stuff, it's pretty dang tasty.

Shadow_Ferret
01-17-2006, 10:13 PM
I have never run into a chocolate I didn't like.

Unique
01-17-2006, 10:15 PM
I have never run into a chocolate I didn't like.

I have. Those cheap boxes of 'filled' you sometimes get at Christmas. Icky lemon, strawberry, and other unidentifiable flavors inside...eewww.

But perhaps, just perhaps, if one could separate the nasty filling from the chocolate, the darn things might be edible.

Shadow_Ferret
01-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah. DON'T BLAME THE CHOCOLATE!

Sarita
01-17-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm coming to visit all of you (especially you, Poet) to steal your chocolate. Wait, wait... Yes! I have a few truffles left from Dan's trip to Belgium. A private little Belgian Chocolatier made these babies just for me. MMMMM....

Oh, and as for good chocolates: I don't eat milk chocolate, why dilute the chocolately goodness? Most European Chocolatiers know their stuff. And Joe is spot on about the Cadbury Royal Dark. If my stock is depleted, a trip to Target for one of those bars does the trick to hold me over until the friends send more of the goodies.

Maryn
01-17-2006, 11:10 PM
There must be something really, really wrong with me.

I like chocolate. Some are much better than others, and I've had some very fine ones several times.

But I've yet to experience the orgasmic reaction to chocolate that seems so prevalent these days. Yeah, I like chocolate. I like apples, and salmon, and sauvignon blanc, and freshly baked bread, too, yet none of these, no matter how exquisite, makes me swoon like the rest of the world seems to over chocolate. In fact, chocolate doesn't even come the closest.

Maryn, who'll just have to settle for ordinary orgasms

robeiae
01-18-2006, 12:23 AM
You want an orgasmic response? Try a slice of Imperial Torte from the Hotel Imperial in Vienna. It beats Sacher Torte all to hell. I promise, on bite one, you'll start getting...well, you know.

StoryG27
01-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Stop it! All of you.

I'm on a diet and you're all tempting me to cheat.

I have a cupboard full of chocolate my brother sent me from Germany.

Shhh, do you hear that?

It, oh yes, it is calling my name.

AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.

Must...not...eat...chocolate!

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2006, 12:31 AM
I thought chocolate was good for you. Wasn't there a study that showed it was heart healthy? I also thought I read somewhere that it actually prevents cavities. Not to mention it isn't all that calorie dense. Oh, and lest I forget, there is some ingredient that creates a chemical reaction in your brain to simulate falling in love.

Then again, I could just be making this all up to torture you. :)

Unique
01-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Stop it! All of you.

I'm on a diet and you're all tempting me to cheat.

I have a cupboard full of chocolate my brother sent me from Germany.

Shhh, do you hear that?

It, oh yes, it is calling my name.

AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.

Must...not...eat...chocolate!

Mail it to me, I'll eat it for you. No trouble at all.

StoryG27
01-18-2006, 12:35 AM
I thought chocolate was good for you. Wasn't there a study that showed it was heart healthy? I also thought I read somewhere that it actually prevents cavities. Not to mention it isn't all that calorie dense.

Then again, I could just be making this all up to torture you. :)
I vote torture!

Sure, one piece is fine...but eating five times your body weight, even if it is the best chocolate, isn't good for you...and THAT is what I am now tempted to do. You really expect me to eat just ONE piece! HA!

I don't remember where, but somewhere I did post that I've always had a problem with self control.

StoryG27
01-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Mail it to me, I'll eat it for you. No trouble at all.
Gee, thanks. What a pal.

robeiae
01-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Looky here. (http://www.imperial-torte.at/index.php?id=478&L=en)

maestrowork
01-18-2006, 12:52 AM
I'll come over and eat...

;)

writerterri
01-18-2006, 12:59 AM
And I would never pass up a box of See's, ever~

StoryG27
01-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Looky here. (http://www.imperial-torte.at/index.php?id=478&L=en)

Thanks...that's really helpful Rob.

loquax
01-18-2006, 01:17 AM
I didn't realise they sold Cadbury's in the US. I went there as a kid, and tried that Hershy's stuff.... my god, that's the pits.

A few years ago I went up to Birmingham with my family, and we decided to stop off at the main Cadbury's factory in bourneville. They just hand you out chocolate bars round every corner. And you also get to try shots of this chocolate drink, which they said was the first ever way people used to consume chocolate. It was basically runny melted chocolate mixed with chillis. Really nice.

Mind you, I don't really like chocolate in the first place. Too sweet. If anything, I'd go with Lindt.

Ragnarok
01-18-2006, 01:38 AM
I'd get naughty for dark chocolate with almonds

But I also love [..] Dove.

Oh my,... that's not liquid white chocolate, it's shampoo!

maestrowork
01-18-2006, 02:15 AM
StoryGirl, look (http://guylian-choc.com/eng/prd3.htm)!

Christine N.
01-18-2006, 04:59 AM
Oh yes, they sell Cadbury here in the US. Usually the only kind I see are those Creme Eggs. (yum...) I never saw bars of here until recently. But, as I said, I've got my UK connection. Big, gigantic bars of it.

Ok, now I'm gonna have to go get some.

StoryG27
01-18-2006, 05:00 AM
StoryGirl, look (http://guylian-choc.com/eng/prd3.htm)!
Oh, you are a cruel, cruel man.

DamaNegra
01-18-2006, 05:14 AM
Oh!! Oh!! Kinder chocolate!! It's so delicious!!! And what about Creminos?? Oh I love it!! Chocolate!! I WANT CHOCOLATE!!!

mmmm... I got my chocolate :) yummy!!

Shwebb
01-18-2006, 06:01 AM
My favorite is Godiva. My husband and I used to get some gourmet coffee and stop at Godiva for just a few truffles, and just find a place to sit and imbibe our treasures.

We do have a local chocolatier--Holl's Chocolates, just outside of Parkersburg, WV in Vienna. They're not quite as good as Godiva, but they hold their own.

When you walk into their store, they have their chocolates displayed in columns around the room. It's like a truffle art gallery. I find it laughable, but the chocolate is still darn good, despite the pretension.
But if I'm desperate for chocolate, I don't care about the quality so much. Just GIMME!:)

spinning_flames
07-08-2006, 05:55 AM
Look (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://tns-www.lcs.mit.edu/~hhh/recipes/chocolate-big.gif&imgrefurl=http://tns-www.lcs.mit.edu/~hhh/recipes/recipes.html&h=508&w=632&sz=346&hl=en&sig2=TvBdue6IYshehB7Em5ktIg&start=22&tbnid=TaptLkFynZv_bM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=135&ei=vQ-vROaWEqj-JJG44fMN&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchocolate%26start%3D18%26ndsp%3D18%26 svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DRNWI,RNWI:200 6-14,RNWI:en%26sa%3DN)storygirl! Ooh... I'm so mean...
I love chocolate! It's the best! Beats the rest! Godiva, Hersheys, Cadbury, Rocky MOuntain Chocolate Factory... Mmm... I love chocolate!
Spinning_Flames

Jenan Mac
07-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Lindt dark chocolate with orange and almonds....mmmm...

There's a shop in Chapel Hill, NC, that is chocolate heaven: A Southern Season. OMG, they have the most gargantuan confectioners' section, and it's the good stuff! I could just live there.

Raiyah
07-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Toblerone of Switzerland!
The best anywhere in the world!

maestrowork
07-08-2006, 06:18 AM
http://www.chocolatefountainsoftennessee.com/images/highres/Strawberry-Dipped-.jpg

jackie106
07-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Mmmm, Cadbury. My aunt, who lives in UK right now, sends me giant bars of it a couple of times a year.

I like Hershey's too, as a backup. Low grade chocolate gives me heartburn.

Now, my favorite chocolate 'candy' is Reese's PB cups. Anytime PB and chocolate are together, it's a good thing.

CostPlus World Imports (I think they're a national chaing) usually has a good selection of Cadbury.

maya
07-08-2006, 06:35 AM
I only have two words and a symbol for you:

Green & Blacks - organic chocolate. Not sure if available outside of the UK but for those of you with connections and a love of dark choc - ask for it next time. You will never look back. You will never regret it. You'll happily sacrifice your partner for it. (It's worth it.)

Really you will never look back. (And if you do you'll see my face - standing behind you trying to figure out how to steal the bar from you.)

Maya

WDS
07-08-2006, 07:41 AM
My favorite chocolate ever would be German chocolate I had in Quebec several years ago. It was at a small place I was at for breakfast. They had the chocolate upstairs and melted it in a bowl, and you drink it right out of the bowl. It was quite good! :)

Susie
07-08-2006, 08:17 AM
My favorite is Hershey's chocolate, plain and simple, no nuts, no nuttin':) Yummy. Also Dove's chocolate is really good. Happy chocolate eating.

L M Ashton
07-08-2006, 10:01 AM
I hate Kinder's chocolate. Blech! It's actually worse than the stuff we have available locally...

Okay, we can get imported chocolate bars, like Cadbury's and the like, and I certainly appreciate that... But we can't get chocolate chips or, for that matter, even slabs of decent chocolate. You know, for baking. :D The slabs of chocolate here have a really waxy texture and the taste... It's not good quality at all. I can only use it for baking if it's not what the recipe is depending on for flavor and goodness.

I would love to be able to make a good ganache, but alas...

And the cocoa we get here is, well, third or fourth rate. :(

Inkdaub
07-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Moonstruck is the best chocolate. I am a fan of the dark myself. When I cannot have Moonstruck I will eat almost any chocolate I can stuff in my mouth.

Forbidden Snowflake
07-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Best chocolate without any doubt is Swiss, the Sprüngli one. Whoever doesn't want to believe me, I will send them some.

Uh, oh. Maybe not. But, it is without any doubt the best!

Carole
07-08-2006, 03:41 PM
http://www.chocolatefountainsoftennessee.com/images/highres/Strawberry-Dipped-.jpg

That's just mean.

Cath
07-08-2006, 04:09 PM
I thought chocolate was good for you. Wasn't there a study that showed it was heart healthy?

This - short - literature review sums up the evidence :http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band145/b145-3.html

It's a bit technical, but the conclusion puts it up pretty well:

Like so many other things, a little chocolate taken regularly is likely to be a good thing; a little of what you fancy.

So next time someone asks - you can quote the source!

Annabella
07-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Any AWers who come by to say hi will get an automatic trip to Belle Fleur, with coffee next door at Bar Lazio....

Now I know where I'm headed next...

Kida Adelyne
07-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Lindt Lindor Truffles.

yummy yummy yum.
m m mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... can't stand it, it's so good.

I need a smily hugging themselves and saying Mmmmmmm...

allion
07-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Lindt truffles, oh yes...a wonderful melty experience.

Cadbury dark is good as well. When Marks and Spencers were still here, they had lovely chocolate with a high cocoa percentage, but they are gone as well as their crisps, alack and alas.

Basically, any chocolate is good unless it's the really cheap stuff with too much sugar in it and not enough cocoa. It'll do in a pinch.

Now you have me thinking of the two Cadbury bars I have stashed in the frig...and I haven't had lunch...

Karen

threedogpeople
07-10-2006, 12:49 AM
My favorites are: Art Bar, Slitti, Lindt, Valor, Michel Cluizel, Chocolove, Amedei, Nirvana, Valrhona, Dolfin, el
Rey, Callebaut, Cote d'or, Dagoba, Green & Black, Galler, Cafe Tasse, Divine, Cuba Venchi,
Plantations, Marquise de Sevigne, Scharffen Berger, Terra Nostra, Schokinag, Ghirardelli,
Bernard Castelain, Bonnat, Domori, Guido Gobino, Giraudi, L'Artigiano and Pralus.

And for an assortment, it has to be "Nuts and Chews" by Mrs. Sees.

The absolute best hot chocolate I've ever had comes from a little shop in Courtenay, British Columbia, called "Hot Chocolates".

It isn't "just" about how the chocolate tastes, it also has to have an excellent mouth feel - smooth not gritty, not waxy, the chocolate needs to melt at just the right rate so it coats your mouth with flavour.....

My hubby just walked in with a box of chocolate truffles - yay!

newwriter19
07-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Lindt does it for me yumm

Melina
07-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Scharffen Berger--oh, my, it's good.

I just discovered this other brand of chocolates called "Molina". They were sooooooo good. They were really good quality chocolate, with hot pepper blended in. Sounds kinda yucky, but it was incredible. I think they're Italian.

Rivana
07-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I adore Fazer's blue milk chocolate. It's drool worthy to say the least.
Of course chocolate mousse of any and all kind or hot cocoa with whipped cream and marshmallows are not things I usually avoid either.

Roger J Carlson
09-17-2006, 02:39 AM
Hershey's Kisses. For some reason they taste better than the bars.

Ken
04-13-2008, 08:24 PM
hot chocolate,
on a cold morning.

writin52
04-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Laura Secord truffles