the best chocolate....

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
is made right here in dayton, ohio. esther price. i go in for the dark chocolate, myself.

worst chocolate? i'd say godiva ranks right up there. truly nasty crap, that, which, imo, people only think is good because it's ridiculously pricey.

other good chocolate is lindt. hm hm good, boy howdy.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of esther price. Does it get sold outside of Dayton (I'm just down the road in Columbus)?

I'm partial to Sees chocolate myself. Mmm, I should get some more chocolate suckers & have one each day while doing BIC. Good (though unhealthy) motivator.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I like Godiva chocolate. I think it's num-nummy!

But I also love Cadbury and Dove.

Note to self - Dean and Deluca dark chocolate is *eh*...okay.

I'm not a fan of Hershey's. To me, it's too brittle and dry. I want something that's going to start melting before I can even get it out of the wrapper.....yummmmm......

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unlike pizza or a precious few assorted other things, bad chocolate is NOT worth having.

As if getting transferred to Heaven weren't enough, there are at least three (and probably at least six) chocolatiers within 5 km of my house -- all of whom make their own. My favorite is Belle Fleur -- exquisite stuff, and their window display is always amazing. Around Father's Day, they build a life-size barbecue -- complete with LPG tank, sausages, prawns and beer bottles -- out of chocolate. (I'll put in the photo later if I can find it.)

Any AWers who come by to say hi will get an automatic trip to Belle Fleur, with coffee next door at Bar Lazio....

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Terry's Chocolate Orange.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, get outta my head! I LOVE those! I like the raspberry ones, too. Plus, you get to smash it on the table before you open it! There are so many pluses there for a PMSing female. You get to smash something and then you get to eat it...and it's CHOCOLATE! It's a win-win-win situation!!!

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes, Carole...I can see the pluses too. A frustrated male gets a kick out of a good smash and eat too!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Mmmm, Cadbury. My aunt, who lives in UK right now, sends me giant bars of it a couple of times a year.

I like Hershey's too, as a backup. Low grade chocolate gives me heartburn.

Now, my favorite chocolate 'candy' is Reese's PB cups. Anytime PB and chocolate are together, it's a good thing.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For American chocolates, Ghirardelli (hopefully spelled correctly) is best. I like their mint chocolate. It's best from the factory in San Francsico, munching a bar at Fisherman's Wharf on a foggy morning, with all of the ocean and seafood smells.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Carole said:
..many pluses there for a PMSing female. Yopu get to smash something and then you get to eat it...and it's CHOCOLATE! It's a win-win-win situation!!!

That's why I smear myself with chocolate sometimes...

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Worlds Finest Chocolate, usually sold by schoolkids in front of grocery stores. Also available on their website. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Their chocolate with almond bars are soooo awesome.

Their chocolate mint meltaways are also awesome. Those chocolate mints are also sold in Krogers made by Russel Stover. Same thing, just more accessible.

allen

PS, Ray, I'll see you this Saturday at B&N!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I want to add: Godiva truffles. Mmmm. Cadbury is good, too, and so is Lindt. I usually don't care for American chocolates (too sweet, not rich enough) but there are a few local chocolatiers that are quite good. I like the little Ghirardelli squares (mint or regular milk chocolate).

Darnit, now I have a craving for good chocolates.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fo' the Po' folk

WalMart (yes, the evil empire...) sells a big milk chocolate bar for $1.

You know what? For some cheap stuff, it's pretty dang tasty.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I have never run into a chocolate I didn't like.

I have. Those cheap boxes of 'filled' you sometimes get at Christmas. Icky lemon, strawberry, and other unidentifiable flavors inside...eewww.

But perhaps, just perhaps, if one could separate the nasty filling from the chocolate, the darn things might be edible.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I'm coming to visit all of you (especially you, Poet) to steal your chocolate. Wait, wait... Yes! I have a few truffles left from Dan's trip to Belgium. A private little Belgian Chocolatier made these babies just for me. MMMMM....

Oh, and as for good chocolates: I don't eat milk chocolate, why dilute the chocolately goodness? Most European Chocolatiers know their stuff. And Joe is spot on about the Cadbury Royal Dark. If my stock is depleted, a trip to Target for one of those bars does the trick to hold me over until the friends send more of the goodies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There must be something really, really wrong with me.

I like chocolate. Some are much better than others, and I've had some very fine ones several times.

But I've yet to experience the orgasmic reaction to chocolate that seems so prevalent these days. Yeah, I like chocolate. I like apples, and salmon, and sauvignon blanc, and freshly baked bread, too, yet none of these, no matter how exquisite, makes me swoon like the rest of the world seems to over chocolate. In fact, chocolate doesn't even come the closest.

Maryn, who'll just have to settle for ordinary orgasms