PDA

View Full Version : Revolution

rugcat
09-17-2012, 11:27 PM
A new show coming up that shows some promise. Debuts tonight (Mon, 9/17) on NBC.

The premise -- a post apocalyptic world where electricity no longer works and society has thus changed considerably, to say the least.

Revolution quickly jumps to 15 years in the future -- still no power, and America has turned into a strange, retro agrarian culture. But it’s also littered with various militias and dangerous highway gangs, and quicker than you can say “Hunger Games meets Planet of the Apes meets Lost,” a quirky show with grand ambitions is on your screen.

A review from Tim Goodman of Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com//review/nbc-revolution-tv-review-369546

heza
09-18-2012, 03:34 AM
I'm going to give it a shot, tonight. I think you can also watch the pilot at the show site prior to the television premier. (Maybe.) It looks like an interesting premise. It was created by Eric Kripke of "Supernatural" fame, so I'm excited about that.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
09-18-2012, 03:45 AM
We're excited about it at our house...Which, based on past experience, pretty much dooms it to be cancelled around episode six.

TV Guide had a funny review that complained about the strong libertarian soapboxing of the premise as well as Esposito's "uncanny resemblance" to Barrack Obama.

CrastersBabies
09-18-2012, 05:25 AM
I'll check it out, but please God, don't let them have teenagers or people in their early 20s who treat adults/parents like crap because after a mega-global devastating event, teenagers would all still be assholes.

(Yes, I'm thinking of shows like Falling Skies where the teen angst becomes so bad that you end up fast forwarding through 1/3 of the episode.)

And seeing kids that are too clean cut, the stereotypical mute kid (who only talks when the hero is about to die), the plucky trouble-maker kid . . . ugh.

I'm really not hopeful, but I will give it a shot.

rugcat
09-18-2012, 05:32 AM
(Yes, I'm thinking of shows like Falling Skies where the teen angst becomes so bad that you end up fast forwarding through 1/3 of the episode.)
Yes. The episode where people are dying, the aliens are coming on strong, but the teen lead is totally freaked out when he discovers the girl he's interested was once into drugs. And had a child. Way too much for his delicate sensibilities to handle.

I quite like the show, actually, but I'd never recommend it to anyone else.

Zoombie
09-18-2012, 05:57 AM
Ah yes, the "Why isn't S.M Sterling suing them?" show!

It might be good. But I have a sinking feeling that the hackneyed moral will be, "Well, yes, billions have died due to the lack of electrical power, but it's brought us so much closer together as a community."

Barf.

But, hey, maybe it won't do that. That's just the sense I got from the trailer.

BloodSpatterAnalyst
09-18-2012, 06:27 AM
I kind of like Billy Burke... so I guess the show is worth a try.

K. Taylor
09-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Ah yes, the "Why isn't S.M Sterling suing them?" show!

It might be good. But I have a sinking feeling that the hackneyed moral will be, "Well, yes, billions have died due to the lack of electrical power, but it's brought us so much closer together as a community."

Barf.

But, hey, maybe it won't do that. That's just the sense I got from the trailer.

Actually, it looks like a pretty harsh world. Warlords came for the MC's family. So it's about her doing anything for them to get them back. Which is what Kripke has at the heart of his stories--family.

Manuel Royal
09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Ah yes, the "Why isn't S.M Sterling suing them?" show!Would he first have to wait to be sued by Steven Boyett; and then Boyett by Fredric Brown's estate? The basic idea has been around a while; and using the same premise isn't plagiarism.

(Though the producers of that Terra Nova show should have at least given credit to Poul Anderson.)

Calla Lily
09-18-2012, 04:01 PM
I missed it last night because I was talking to a book club. Hopefully the first ep is On Demand. In our house we've nicknamed the show "Pretty White People Save the World".

If it sucks, I hope it's 1/3 as entertaining as The River was. We laughed out butts off for every episode of that show.

dolores haze
09-18-2012, 04:19 PM
It was terrible.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
09-18-2012, 04:32 PM
I missed it last night because I was talking to a book club. Hopefully the first ep is On Demand. In our house we've nicknamed the show "Pretty White People Save the World".

If it sucks, I hope it's 1/3 as entertaining as The River was. We laughed out butts off for every episode of that show.
I'm not sure it's as OTT as The River was--that was a campy mess. (I suspect 666 Park avenue--while hoping to be the new American Horror Story--will, in fact, be this season's The River. Tho I hope I'm wrong because we need more good fantasy horror on tv.)

This is just very earnest and a little too clean and stylish (who sewed--by hand, cos no electricity--that leather outfit she was wearing, for instance?). And, um, it's only been 15 years but everyone's an expert swordsman now? Oh, and the reveal of Monroe made me roll my eyes and then remember that poor terrible excuse for a show--The Cape....

Then at the end the whole thing began to remind me (unpleasantly) of Jericho...Nuts!

I try never to finalize my opinion of an ambitious show from the pilot, so I'll watch again. But I was definitely underwhelmed.

Calla Lily
09-18-2012, 04:41 PM
I shall pop popcorn before watching. :D

CrastersBabies
09-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes. The episode where people are dying, the aliens are coming on strong, but the teen lead is totally freaked out when he discovers the girl he's interested was once into drugs. And had a child. Way too much for his delicate sensibilities to handle.

I quite like the show, actually, but I'd never recommend it to anyone else.

When the show is ON, it's on and I stick with it for some of the longer, more epic storylines (skitters rebellion and such). But, yeah, I FF through quite a bit whenever Hal/Maggie or Lourdes comes on the screen. :)

CrastersBabies
09-18-2012, 06:31 PM
It was terrible.

Details! :)

heza
09-18-2012, 07:58 PM
SPOILER WARNING

I was entertained by the pilot. I'm like JohnnyGottaKeyboard in that I'll give a show several episodes to work out the awkwardness. The writers and actors have to gel a bit before it gets good (if it's going to get good).

Setting-wise, I also thought things were a little too tidy. I liked the overgrowth of the cities and all the flooding, and how gritty the port towns looked compared to the picturesque farm towns. But I seriously wondered where the clothes came from... A pristine AC/DC t-shirt after fifteen years? (Or should I assume that was hand embroidered?)...

Character-wise, I liked Charlie (the daughter). I think she translated the emotions pretty well: tough, independent, but still scared and alone. I love Billy Burke and I thought he was badass. I wasn't sold on Dad's girlfriend, but she grew on me. I don't know what I think of the brother yet, except that maybe he's not a big thinker. Definitely rash, and his big mistake that set everything off seems really inconsistence with the caution he showed earlier in the episode when Charlie wanted to do Dangerous Things...

I could have completely done without the Love Interest character. I'll buy that part about him being the vehicle for locating Miles (except that the initial meeting was way to convenient and it was obvious he was following her), but then when he turned on his mate for attacking Charlie... after she shot up one of his buddies (and having had seemingly no conflict about betraying Charlie's group before)... that just seemed random and too YA- romance tropish for me. I hope he gets A LOT of emotional conflict later and is torn between love and duty and all that... or just dies...

Storywise... meh. It was about how I thought it would go. A lot of setup to get us into the story development phase. I don't know what I think of Monroe... I'm having trouble believing that a dude who couldn't keep up with his own wallet somehow took over the territory in the middle of the apocalypse. I'm inclined to trust Kripke's vison, so I'll see what they do with it...

Jstwatchin
09-18-2012, 08:13 PM
I thought it had a (somewhat) interesting premise and am eager to see how it plays out. However, at our house we are somewhat confused by no electricity = middle ages. Most of the world was not hooked up to the grid less than 100 years ago and a not too insignificant part still isn't. Things used to run on steam and gas. My grandmother's (mechanical) sowing machine does a fine job with leather.

heza
09-18-2012, 09:07 PM
I thought it had a (somewhat) interesting premise and am eager to see how it plays out. However, at our house we are somewhat confused by no electricity = middle ages. Most of the world was not hooked up to the grid less than 100 years ago and a not too insignificant part still isn't. Things used to run on steam and gas. My grandmother's (mechanical) sowing machine does a fine job with leather.

I didn't think quality of life had fallen all the way back to medieval. But I think things just looked a little too new and tailored and clean. Fifteen years... all the clothing stores have been looted already, all the fabric stores, too. Fabric for new clothes will have to woven.... from? And dyed and well... there's just a modernness to the clothing I assume will be lost when we have to go back to doing that. So I'm looking for clothing to be a little more homemade in appearance or patchwork from older clothing, etc. Mayhaps I don't envision the end of the world realistically.

ETA: Maybe way more people died than I'm imagining and there's an excess of new, unused clothing sitting around.

angeliz2k
09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
I haven't seen it--I will try to watch the first episode online at some point (maybe).

I just don't get how it's possible to turn off the world's power. As long as there are electrons, there are sources of electricity. And how can the entire world's grid be shut down? I will not be able to watch the show unless it's premise is at least slightly plausible.

Stiger05
09-19-2012, 12:15 AM
I haven't seen it--I will try to watch the first episode online at some point (maybe).

I just don't get how it's possible to turn off the world's power. As long as there are electrons, there are sources of electricity. And how can the entire world's grid be shut down? I will not be able to watch the show unless it's premise is at least slightly plausible.

I think that's my issue with the whole premise. Not just that the whole world's power could go out and not come back on, but that in a world filled with engineers, etc, the people couldn't create new methods of power? There are still waterfalls, still wind, still steam, still coal...

All the power going out? Okay, yeah, fine. But complete lack of innovation for 15 years? Sorry, not buying it. And that thing with the *spoiler* jump drive somehow creating power? I can buy that the guy downloaded a program on it that could control electricity, but the they expect me to believe the glorified lid for the thing holds the hardware to power electronics that are near it? That's a little too much. Of course, I'll caveat that my husband is an electrical engineer, so the whole time we were watching he was musing on how these things could be technically possible (and not coming up with much). We'll wait and see how the show explains it all.

Otherwise, the acting was pretty good. There were some glaring plot holes and things that were a little too convenient. For instance *spoiler* Charlie and crew stroll into Chicago and the first place they go is where her hiding uncle just happens to be? Sorry, not buying it. Not to mention what someone else already pointed out about the clothes, and cleanliness. Perfect, washed, stainless shirts, non-greasy hair, clean faces--I can suspend my disbelief, but come on, let's add some realism.

All that aside, as long as the plot doesn't stray into the silly and forced (which I'm afraid it will, at least after a little while), I'll suspend my disbelief and keep watching.

Sheryl Nantus
09-19-2012, 12:21 AM

We gave up at the trailer.

If a jumbo jet lost power, it wouldn't plummet to the ground like a stone. It'd at least be able to glide, somewhat, for a distance before landing/crashing. It's a PLANE - it's built for that sort of thing.

Eye-catching, yes. But if you don't get that much right I don't have a lot of hope for the rest of the show.

heza
09-19-2012, 12:32 AM
There were some glaring plot holes and things that were a little too convenient. For instance *spoiler* Charlie and crew stroll into Chicago and the first place they go is where her hiding uncle just happens to be? Sorry, not buying it.

The other stuff, yes, but I think her dad told her *spoiler* that her uncle was at "The Grand" in Chicago as he was dying. I think. I am suprised they found The Grand so easily, though.

dolores haze
09-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Details! :)

SPOILERS. Look away, look away!

Dialogue was atrocious, acting was abysmal. Some of the visuals were good. The suburban cul-de-sac as stockaded village was nice, though if it's so damn dangerous outside why are the gates wide open and no look-out. Surprise! The bad guys stroll into the village and do bad stuff.

Daddy's death scene was terrible and - surprise (not), though there are plenty of adults around he sends his pouty teenage daughter in her stunning leather pants off on a dangerous overnight trip to Chicago, Where - surprise! - pouty one encounter equally pretty pouty boy.

Once in Chitown her uncle, who is good at killing - surprise! - kills about twenty guys in hand-to-hand combat after knocking back a bottle of scotch, and doesn't wobble or slur his words even once.

The black dude was doing the best he could with the cruddy lines he was given; he had some presence at least, no one else did. Anyone know that actor's name? I didn't stay for the credits.

I will say I just finished the first season of Game of Thrones so my expectations for word building, plot, character, fine acting and great dialogue are extremely high right now.

xKatya
09-19-2012, 01:23 AM
[Only the vaguest of spoilers here]

I wonder if I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't come from the background of reading dystopian YA, honestly – because the tropes certainly weren't anything I hadn't seen (or read) before. As a TV show it has an advantage in that it's pretty, but it also has to rely on the strength of its actors, and the generic conventionally attractive white kid protagonists didn't do anything for me. Aside from make me roll my eyes. And ugh, the LI storyline for the girl...

I'm willing to suspend disbelief on the power stuff because it's meant to be a mystery (and let's face it, I was a Lost fan), but the lack of innovation in 15 years is pretty bizarre, and it would have been nice to have some sort of nod to that? Even if it were just a, "We tried to recreate power and it didn't work because ~*mysterious reasons*~".

The black dude was doing the best he could with the cruddy lines he was given; he had some presence at least, no one else did. Anyone know that actor's name? I didn't stay for the credits. Giancarlo Esposito, I believe. He never really stood out to me on Once Upon a Time, but I agree that his performance was the strongest here.

Calla Lily
09-19-2012, 03:21 AM
OMG this show is AWFUL. (Watching it On Demand right now.)

Can they all please DIE? The Zac Efron body double is TSTL. The pouty lead teenager should have her pouty, whiny mouth duct-taped permanently. All the anachronisms mentioned above are spot-on: Sure there could be a black AC/DC t-shirt... but it's not faded at all? They break into a camper... and the walls aren't mildewed? There's no critters nesting in there? The leather/vinyl seats aren't cracked? How did they make working muskets or repair antique ones? Nobody's dirty enough. Everyone's teeth are way too good... but I've seen that in movies. What can you do? Actors are pretty. Billy Burke and the AC/DC guy are good; so is the black militia leader. But the more that pouty girl talks, the more I want her to STFU.

It's not as :roll: as The River was. I don't think we'll be spending more time on it.

K. Taylor
09-19-2012, 03:48 AM
It's one pilot....directed by a movie director. Jon Favreau did the Iron Man movies.

Teen girl is not a teenager - her brother is 19 and she's a few years older. She's at least 21. The real production comes in episodes 2-to-whatever. Once NBC leaves it in Kripke's hands.

I don't think the thumb drives are holding power, just the program. As for the computer she was using at the end, and the Edison-style light bulb, very little juice needed. That computer still had an AT BIOS, so it's no newer than a 486. In contrast, a standard gamer rig now needs a 1000watt power supply because the video card is a 40amp beast.

The pilot episode has been available on NBC.com for weeks.

There's a cool gallery of real-life abandoned places (http://www.nbc.com/revolution/photos/the-haunting-beauty-of-abandoned-places/11373#item=252520).

Dr Strange
09-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Saw it... Hoping it gets better...

heyjude
09-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Hubby and I watched last night and we loved it. Plot holes? What plot holes? :tongue Anyway, we were sufficiently entertained to overlook anything not quite right.

Maybe it's just been so darn long that we've seen anything on TV...

Filigree
09-19-2012, 10:25 PM
I'll give it another episode or two. I generally like Kripke's work, but this hasn't won me over yet.

Gravity
09-21-2012, 02:25 AM
For the past few years NBC's main programming strength has been smutty sex comedies (the network isn't known as "Nothing But Coitus" for nothing). That said, this one won't last.

CrastersBabies
09-21-2012, 03:10 AM
It wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm checking out episode 2 hoping they get some of the pilot kinks worked out. We'll see. :)

Seraph
09-21-2012, 07:50 AM
figaroooooooooooooo

heyjude
09-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm a sucker for that schtick. :)

JSSchley
09-21-2012, 04:23 PM
All that aside, as long as the plot doesn't stray into the silly and forced (which I'm afraid it will, at least after a little while), I'll suspend my disbelief and keep watching.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I didn't think it was uh-mazing, but it was kind of fun and they've got reasonable streaming dates for if I miss an episode if I'm at work (Hell's Kitchen decided to stream on an 8-day delay, which meant I never caught up to the live show), and as long as it doesn't get crazy, I'll wach.

Billy Burke was hysterical, though I, too, want an actual explanation as to why he's a killing machine badass.

Manuel Royal
09-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Haven't seen the show yet, but I have to ask (in reference to something said earlier) -- why the hell is anyone using a musket? There are already more (modern) guns than people in the U.S., and billions of rounds of ammunition.

Cyia
09-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Haven't seen the show yet, but I have to ask (in reference to something said earlier) -- why the hell is anyone using a musket? There are already more (modern) guns than people in the U.S., and billions of rounds of ammunition.

I don't remember the musket, but the militias have outlawed "firearms" of the regular variety. They've collected what they could, and kill anyone for keeping private ones.

Manuel Royal
09-21-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't remember the musket, but the militias have outlawed "firearms" of the regular variety. They've collected what they could, and kill anyone for keeping private ones.
Hm. It occurs to me that, in the situation as I understand it, I might expect the biggest army to be ... the Army. When things went dark, they'd already have the firearms, the ammunition, and most importantly, the organization. In Army towns, I imagine every soldier who wasn't already there would head to the base, probably bringing his or her family along.

There'd be plenty to do to keep them busy -- trying to secure a food supply, trying to establish communications by old-fashioned methods, etc.

heyjude
09-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Certainly General Monroe looks to have been part of the military before Things Went Dark.

Diane Amy
09-22-2012, 08:13 AM
I'm wondering if the AC/DC t-shirt is an inside joke from Eric Kripke? Perhaps a nod to his Supernatural fans? It really did stick out and really did make me shake my head in annoyance until I thought of this possible angle.

chatter
09-23-2012, 06:59 AM
I watched the pilot. I've got to say that I really don't like this show. I'll try another episode though.

I mean really, at the end of the show this lady who just gave up the guy she was helping goes into her basement where an array of computer and communication equipment is stashed. There were an awful lot of locks on the door, which is a dead giveaway that there is something behind this door that she doesn't want anyone to see.

She goes down there and activates this amulet of some sort and all this equipment then boots up with electrical power.

She types that the militia or whatever was just there. The person on the other end asks if they found any of this equipment that she's using at the moment. She types no and that is the cliffhanger you're left with.

Never mind the gaping hole that is left as to how the person on the other end even knows they are not talking to the people who they don't want to find all this equipment.

I really don't think this show will make it but like I said, I'll give it another shot. I sometimes wonder how people are given a budget with some of the ideas they have. If that's how it works, I really don't know.

Suffice it say, I was dissapointed with the pilot.

rhymegirl
09-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Not to mention what someone else already pointed out about the clothes, and cleanliness. Perfect, washed, stainless shirts, non-greasy hair, clean faces--I can suspend my disbelief, but come on, let's add some realism.

This was my complaint, too.

I think the people should be looking messier.

One of the best lines was when the guy said he'd trade all his millions for a roll of toilet paper.

lebbieb
09-23-2012, 11:33 PM
I was very disappointed. I don't watch alot of tv but I was looking forward to this show. I lasted through the first 15 minutes and then turned the tv off. Won't give it another chance.

frimble3
09-24-2012, 12:32 AM
This is from the guy who did 'Lost', isn't it? So there will be no explanations and nothing will make any sense. And, in a nod to modern times, it will be all about the young folks.
I watched the first episode, as there was nothing much else on at the time. Never again.
If you want to see ravaged buildings 'Life After People' does it better, with having to put up with that tedious story and those annoying people.
Although I did kind of like 'the guy who used to work for Google'. :)

BenPanced
09-24-2012, 03:28 AM
From what I've heard about the show, you'll have to watch it a while before they explain why electricity just suddenly stopped.

knporter
09-25-2012, 08:34 AM
I watched the first episode and I really enjoyed the story line. I did not like the fact that the actors were too clean and did not really represent what one would look like after 15 years with no hot water, curling irons, make up and new clothes.

I think it makes the show 100 % better when the atmosphere is realistic. Just my opinion and again I still enjoyed the story.

CrastersBabies
09-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Any comments on episode 2? Just curious. Will probably watch it tomorrow.

screenscope
09-25-2012, 08:43 AM
I was impressed by the number of cliches they crammed into the first episode and I felt like I'd seen it all before. I'll give it one more episode to grab me, but my expections are now extremely low.

K. Taylor
09-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Any comments on episode 2? Just curious. Will probably watch it tomorrow.

2nd ep (written by Kripke) was an improvement. Really enjoyed the sarcasm, gray areas, twists, etc.

Lyra Jean
09-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Hubby and I watched the second episode last night. We won't be watching anymore.

Can they just re-boot Firefly? They've rebooted everything else it seems.

GeekTells
09-25-2012, 03:16 PM
I enjoyed the first two eps. I wouldn't have excepted much of it in a book, but it made for entertaining TV. Suspension of disbelief is required, but not onerous IMO.

TV is an imperfect medium for these kinds of stories, and I think they did some pretty cool stuff considering.

frimble3
09-25-2012, 03:53 PM
From what I've heard about the show, you'll have to watch it a while before they explain why electricity just suddenly stopped.
Months and months or years and years?
Or just season after season?
No need to answer. On careful consideration, I don't really care. I no longer have patience for long drawn-out mysteries. Whether it's 'why are we on the island' or 'what's up the river?', 'why are there time-travellers on Alcatraz' or 'who turned out the lights', there's been too many attempts to sucker people into watching a show by dragging out some ill-concieved 'mystery' in which the creators swear they're going to have an exciting, cohesive explanation, if we just bear with them. Just a little longer. Any time now. Maybe next season. Perhaps.

angeliz2k
09-25-2012, 05:35 PM

*Thud.*

Seriously, it makes no sense. They've made references to the fact that "physics went crazy" or whatever. But as long as there are electrons, there is electricity, and if there were no electrons, the world would fall apart. Ergo, the power can be brought back. What I'm saying is: there are ways around this. The world would NOT be plunged into the Middle Ages just because electricity failed. Steam power. Water power. Mechanical power. I mean, why were freaking slaves--or whatever--dragging a helicopter through the woods? Did 1) roads 2) wheels 3) freaking OXEN or HORSES suddenly disappear along with that mysterious "ecceltricity" stuff? WTF? At least put some rollers under the helicopter's runners.

Besides which--no duh the black out was man-made. Seriously? No one ever thought of that?

But at least the uncle was irritate by the annoying girl, though he should have been more irritated, in my opinion.

Not impressed, I'm afraid.

JSSchley
09-25-2012, 05:38 PM
I liked the second epi. I'm growing fond of Billy Burke's character.

This is totally a "drink the kool-aid" show, though. I'm not going to try to overthink it, because it completely falls apart if I do (where are the engineers harnessing other kinds of power? For that matter, where are the other medieval forms of power--horse and oxen power, mills on the river, etc.) How did an insurgent militia government take over for the U.S. government in only 15 years? Surely, there would've been a government plan at once to handle the country?

But I'm enjoying the fact that for once in a long time, there's a TV show on I'm mildly interested in and which airs at a time when I'm regularly not scheduled to work. So I'll come along. It's an hour once a week with my cat.

Stiger05
09-25-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm trying really hard to like it. I want to like it, but there are just too many holes and inconsistencies. (This is nit-picky, but, does Monroe's uniform seriously have neat little buttons with his tattoo/logo/whatever? How exactly were those manufactured? So you're telling me you can make personalized uniform buttons but you can't figure out how to get some form of electricity?).

My interest in last night's episode just waned. I was interested in the flashback scenes, but found myself working on my ms during the rest of the episode.

Plus, the chick who plays Nora, I kind of view her as the kiss of death. I've seen her on a lot of different shows, and either she or the show itself never last long. Poor girl.

K. Taylor
09-26-2012, 02:17 AM
I liked the second epi. I'm growing fond of Billy Burke's character.

This is totally a "drink the kool-aid" show, though. I'm not going to try to overthink it, because it completely falls apart if I do (where are the engineers harnessing other kinds of power? For that matter, where are the other medieval forms of power--horse and oxen power, mills on the river, etc.) How did an insurgent militia government take over for the U.S. government in only 15 years? Surely, there would've been a government plan at once to handle the country?

But I'm enjoying the fact that for once in a long time, there's a TV show on I'm mildly interested in and which airs at a time when I'm regularly not scheduled to work. So I'll come along. It's an hour once a week with my cat.

The Monroe Republic and militia is only part of the US. There are other republics on North America. Basically, the US fractured once there was no more central communication. Considering certain states being more independent than others, I can believe it. The Rockies are a pretty big obstacle without planes and cars, so I'm sure that's one border line. We're only seeing the characters in Illinois so far.

Stiger, the buttons could be made from a mold or stamped metal. Buttons existed long before modern machinery. Wouldn't be hard to put the M shape in soft metal and attach a ring to the back of the button to sew it on with.

Stiger05
09-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Stiger, the buttons could be made from a mold or stamped metal. Buttons existed long before modern machinery. Wouldn't be hard to put the M shape in soft metal and attach a ring to the back of the button to sew it on with.

Fair enough. Seems like a frivolous waste of time in this world, but okay. There are still plenty of other things that bug me.

Like, where did he get the neatly shaped ice cubes he put in his drink? I thought maybe it was an oversight in the first episode, but nope, in Ep 2 he offered chickie's mom ice too. Ice cubes without refrigeration with no snow/ice on the ground?

And how did Nora get that neat little tattoo of an American flag? I've seen the old school tap-the-needles-in-your-skin way of tattooing, and you can't get that much detail or the straight smoothed in lines.

angeliz2k
09-26-2012, 03:10 AM
The Monroe Republic and militia is only part of the US. There are other republics on North America. Basically, the US fractured once there was no more central communication. Considering certain states being more independent than others, I can believe it. The Rockies are a pretty big obstacle without planes and cars, so I'm sure that's one border line. We're only seeing the characters in Illinois so far.

The vast territory of these United States was held together for decades before the automobile was invented. Horse, wagon, ship, telegraph. The show seems to assume that because the electricity went off, everyone will revert to some Stone Age state. It's kind of ridiculous. Instead of reverting to c. 1900 when electricity was catching on, we're plunged back to c. 1400 AD with rifles instead of primitive guns.

And they need to make it clearer what does and doesn't work (even if they don't want to explain why). You can do a hell of a lot with steam or water power. I just don't understand why they can't, for instance, get steam-powered trains to work. What, does burning coal no longer heat water that no longer makes steam that no longer drives pistons that no longer make the wheels go round?

Does water no longer go downhill and propel turbines or at least turn mill wheels?

And do telegraphs no longer work, either? Or telephone landlines? I mean, how do you stop electricity from running down a wire?

If they want me on board, they should explain up front what happened and make the story all about the consequences. Or at least give us a clue.

robeiae
09-26-2012, 03:47 AM
I'm trying really hard to like it. I want to like it, but there are just too many holes and inconsistencies...

My interest in last night's episode just waned. I was interested in the flashback scenes, but found myself working on my ms during the rest of the episode.

Agree. It held the momentary promise of a Firefly-like flavor. But that quickly waned.

I fear far too many deus ex machinas in the show's future. If it has one...

frimble3
09-26-2012, 05:24 AM
The vast territory of these United States was held together for decades before the automobile was invented. Horse, wagon, ship, telegraph. The show seems to assume that because the electricity went off, everyone will revert to some Stone Age state. It's kind of ridiculous. Instead of reverting to c. 1900 when electricity was catching on, we're plunged back to c. 1400 AD with rifles instead of primitive guns.

And they need to make it clearer what does and doesn't work (even if they don't want to explain why). You can do a hell of a lot with steam or water power. I just don't understand why they can't, for instance, get steam-powered trains to work. What, does burning coal no longer heat water that no longer makes steam that no longer drives pistons that no longer make the wheels go round?

Does water no longer go downhill and propel turbines or at least turn mill wheels?

And do telegraphs no longer work, either? Or telephone landlines? I mean, how do you stop electricity from running down a wire?

If they want me on board, they should explain up front what happened and make the story all about the consequences. Or at least give us a clue.
Exactly. Steam. Steam trains, steam boats, steam ships. Stanley steam cars. Steam harvesters, steam powered saws, you name it, steam ran it.
And it would be easier this time around, because there are books. There are Amish, back-to-the-landers, preppers, people living off-the-grid, hobbyists, historians and just plain old guys who know all this stuff.
It's not like they'd be doing it from a standing start.

(For that matter: ice cubes - if it freezes hard and thick on a lake in the winter, historically men went out on the ice, sawed it into slabs and hauled it off to be stored, insulated by sawdust, for use in the summer. It was an industry in some places back east, with isolated, clean lakes and cold winters.
I imagine that even if there are no electic refrigerators, insulated boxcars and commercial freezers would work as iceboxes.
I suspect that the creators of this show don't want to show how their society would actually work, they're just about the cool images.

K. Taylor
09-26-2012, 06:19 AM
You can have ice without electric freezers units.

CrastersBabies
09-26-2012, 06:44 AM
I'm so done with this show. The whole "follow my uncle because I feel bad about my brother" BS was just too much.

Ugh.

I hope those of you who are sticking with it enjoy it! I just can't anymore!

Lyra Jean
09-26-2012, 07:05 AM
What about

How can I feel good. I just killed two people line.
She volunteered herself. What did she think she was going to do.

Also the flashback:
Dad couldn't shoot the guy who threatened to break little 5 year old Charlie's neck and then stole all their food. Basically dooming them to starvation or something similar. Mom had to shoot the guy.

That's when hubby and I decided to stop watching. How did he last 15 years if during the first week he couldn't do anything to defend his family from danger.

maxmordon
09-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Apparently the event also affected bicycles since everyone carries a horse.

Kevans
09-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Sorry it is bad, bad, bad...

Anything that shuts down all power, would turn off the electrical impulses in brain matter, if it need a brain then it is dead. That leaves politicos and producers, not enough for an eco-system..... Beyond that, with what I have in my garage I could put together a working pneumatic system that would keep stuff working, it would take about two or three weeks.

The show reeks of, "This is a neat idea, how do we impose it?" Little or no thought is given to suspension of disbelief. If I wrote this no one would touch it.

The sword work is horrible, I am 56 and fat and I could take any of them apart in seconds. I did "do" hand to hand for forty years, but what they do is worse than stage fencing. You would think that a production could hire a competent sword master.

Gag,
Kevin

xKatya
09-26-2012, 11:31 AM
I just actually cackled at this. And then realized all my bike-loving friends would be disappointed at me for not thinking of it. I'm guessing part of the excuse is rural areas, although that ignores the fact not all bikes are built for urban use, and you'd have to assume a bike would be much less of a hassle to maintain! (I'm sure the real reason is "but horses look cooler").

The smack-over-the-head morality and politics is what's bothering me the most, especially with the US = rebel flag... I'm not sure why that particular dystopian trope drives me up the wall, but it definitely does. I'll almost certainly keep watching, because I'm curious how things unfold and if the show lasts, but it may be one of those "watch with running snarky commentary" shows for me.

Cyia
09-26-2012, 02:17 PM
The Lost-like atmosphere's still there, but I think this one's headed straight for the shark-jump. With Lost, the show was self-contained to a very small area that helped rein in some of the weirdness. But Revolution's much broader and they're over-stretching their plots. The holes are showing big-time. There are so many characters that instead of creating interest, the tiny amount of screen time each one gets is only making them forgettable so you have to sort of work to remember who and what each person had to do with anything. Mainly, you've got OMG, followed by WTF, over and over and over through twists and cliffhangers that are overly contrived.

It really is fun to watch, but if you ever hit a point where you question something, then other questions come up and the whole thing falls apart.

(Seriously - they've never heard of water power, wind power, batteries, etc. Or why does the militia, which was supposedly started on a military base, have so few weapons that only one man in a crew is armed with a gun? There would have been thousands of them on a military base, plus tons of ammo. What good is a gun to a non-militia person without access to ammo? Why in the world do people who are in a hurry to get from point A to point B NOT TAKE THE HORSES??? And, strangest of all to me, who cares about gold? What use is currency in a world with no economy?)

Lyra Jean
09-26-2012, 02:26 PM
We would probably keep watching it if it didn't come on at 10pm. That is too late for us.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
09-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Also the flashback:
Dad couldn't shoot the guy who threatened to break little 5 year old Charlie's neck and then stole all their food. Basically dooming them to starvation or something similar. Mom had to shoot the guy. Made even worse by the fact that shooting him really wasn't even required. So you can't shoot a man in the back...Um, knock him down and take your stuff back. He was a weak starving guy and there were two of them (mom and dad). The whole thing was pointless melodrama masquerading as character-building.

Lyra Jean
09-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Made even worse by the fact that shooting him really wasn't even required. So you can't shoot a man in the back...Um, knock him down and take your stuff back. He was a weak starving guy and there were two of them (mom and dad). The whole thing was pointless melodrama masquerading as character-building.

Not shooting him and wrestling him to the ground to beat the ever loving snot out of him would have been better. Well, pretty much anything "Dad" could of done was better than just holding the gun up and doing nothing.

Stiger05
09-26-2012, 05:18 PM

Ha! This reminded me of a Cracked article I read. 6 Technologies Conspicuously Absent from Sci-Fi Movies. (http://www.cracked.com/article_19325_6-technologies-conspicuously-absent-from-sci-fi-movies.html)

Why don't they ride bikes? Did all the zombies eat them? Did the nukes somehow specifically target bicycles but miss all the cars? Bikes are cheap, fast and easy to maintain, plus they require no fuel and they're freaking everywhere -- literally the only reason we can think of for why they are never used in these films is that they would look kinda ridiculous.

In The Road and Book of Eli, the protagonists spend pretty much the whole movie walking across hostile territory and never so much as consider looking for some bikes. It's like they never even existed. And before you tell us that Eli wouldn't be able to ride a bike due to his condition -- if you can aim a bow and arrow and win a machete fight, you can ride a damn bike.

Oldbrasscat
09-26-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm probably going to keep watching it, until the silliness really gets out of hand. It's like a car wreck and I can't look away. The uncle's "You're unusual." line is what did it for me. I was trying really hard not to overthink it until then, and succeeding not too badly, then, Wham!

Where on earth did they get the chickens and goats from in episode 1? I don't think the Walmart stocks them.

robeiae
09-27-2012, 03:08 AM
I'm probably going to keep watching it, until the silliness really gets out of hand.That's what I said about Psych...

Manuel Royal
09-28-2012, 06:43 PM
I watched the first episode and I really enjoyed the story line. I did not like the fact that the actors were too clean and did not really represent what one would look like after 15 years with no hot water, curling irons, make up and new clothes.People had all those things before electrification.

The sword work is horrible, I am 56 and fat and I could take any of them apart in seconds. I did "do" hand to hand for forty years, but what they do is worse than stage fencing. You would think that a production could hire a competent sword master.Haven't seen it, but I believe you. (I don't know if my 30 years of SCA "fighting" would actually help in that situation, but it might.)

Now, again: there is nothing wrong with the basic premise, which is that something is preventing electrical devices from working. It's been used by a number of good writers. Of course, the explanation for it (if there ever is one) will probably be nonsense.

Oddly enough, in Steven Boyett's novels Ariel and Elegy Beach, bicycles literally don't work. There's been a change in the world (called "the Change") and magic starts working, while any machine more complicated than roller skates or a crossbow stopped working. (Depending on the type, a crossbow might actually be more mechanically complex than a bicycle; the Change is very selective, to the point where it makes no sense as a change in physical laws, and really requires some kind of intelligence directing it. Boyett's never dealt with this question very well.)

heyjude
09-28-2012, 10:24 PM
I still like it. I have absolutely zero understanding of how electricity, etc, works, or what (beyond the blindingly obvious) all we can do with or without it, so none of that bothers my pretty little head. :e2file:

What did get me was the daughter overpowering and killing the soldier. :Wha:

Dr Strange
09-29-2012, 03:03 AM
I think the show would be better if they focused more on Monroe and his army/the government side of things. It would be interesting to see how this new authority works in this 'new' world, since you know (from what we've seen), the villages and cities are booooring and safe and lame.

The electricity being off is the mcguffin that gets things going, it shouldn't be a mysterious "how did it happen?" story or a "how will we get it back?" it should be more about how the world now functions in its absence.

Filigree
10-01-2012, 08:06 AM
I quit ten minutes into the latest episode.

The science is too goofy to excuse, the world-building makes less sense than 'The Postman', the acting is mostly terrible, I want to break Charlie's neck myself, and I'm already sick of dystopian settings.

This may be J.J. Abrams' Chris Carter/George Lucas moment. As in 'please don't believe you are infallible and everything you write is golden.'

Lyra Jean
10-01-2012, 04:17 PM
I think the show would be better if they focused more on Monroe and his army/the government side of things. It would be interesting to see how this new authority works in this 'new' world, since you know (from what we've seen), the villages and cities are booooring and safe and lame.

The electricity being off is the mcguffin that gets things going, it shouldn't be a mysterious "how did it happen?" story or a "how will we get it back?" it should be more about how the world now functions in its absence.

This! Plus when do they ever do a dystopian from "The evil Government's point of view"? That would make this story so much more interesting.

Cyia
10-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I think that "mom = shooter" moment from last week would have worked better if little Charlie had picked up the gun and shot the guy. She was the one being threatened, and kids have a more black and white version of justice without a concrete understanding of consequences in most cases. It would also have made more sense considering the scene it was cut into - they could have set-up that Charlie, over-protective big sister that she is, will compartmentalize in the extreme if she needs to, even if it means killing someone.

Stiger05
10-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I think that "mom = shooter" moment from last week would have worked better if little Charlie had picked up the gun and shot the guy. She was the one being threatened, and kids have a more black and white version of justice without a concrete understanding of consequences in most cases. It would also have made more sense considering the scene it was cut into - they could have set-up that Charlie, over-protective big sister that she is, will compartmentalize in the extreme if she needs to, even if it means killing someone.

I think that would have worked so much better. It's little things like that the writers don't seem to think through on the show.

K. Taylor
10-02-2012, 01:41 PM
A lot of Miles' history in ep 3. I'm wondering if the pendants are linked. I'm also wondering if it cuts through some kind of interference that is blocking electronics from working and that's why it can "power" them.

K. Taylor
10-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Cool - a poster on the official board got pics of the map of republics.

http://i.imgur.com/8z9Kz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DcMi3.jpg

They were filming in the hotel the poster works in. I freakin' love that Texas is still Texas.

rhymegirl
10-02-2012, 06:21 PM
I watched it last night and liked it. I guess I'm easy to please.

Filigree
10-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Mea culpa. I thought Abrams was writing it, but it's Kripke's baby. Which is really odd, because it seems less his style.

My dislike is probably just me. I followed 'Jeremiah' and 'Jericho', but I'm burnt out on post-apocalyptic and dystopian stories right now.

K. Taylor
10-03-2012, 05:36 AM
NBC has given the show a full season order.

maxmordon
10-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Cool - a poster on the official board got pics of the map of republics.

http://i.imgur.com/8z9Kz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DcMi3.jpg

They were filming in the hotel the poster works in. I freakin' love that Texas is still Texas.

So...

New California Republic = Commonwealth of California
Movaje Wasteland = The Wasteland
The Enclave = The Monroe Republic

screenscope
10-03-2012, 07:32 AM
I abandoned the series half way through episode two. I tried to hold on, but it drove me away.

Sam Argent
10-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Mea culpa. I thought Abrams was writing it, but it's Kripke's baby. Which is really odd, because it seems less his style.

My dislike is probably just me. I followed 'Jeremiah' and 'Jericho', but I'm burnt out on post-apocalyptic and dystopian stories right now.

I used to watch any post-apocalyptic crap that aired on tv until Jeremiah and Jericho spoiled me. I would probably give Revolution more of a chance if the main characters were as interesting as the minor ones.

Cyia
10-04-2012, 12:05 AM

Of course it is. We're old hat at this Republic business - and we wouldn't have run out of ammo so fast. ;)

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/JosinLMcQuein/images-2.jpg

(of course, I'd like to know who was able to do a full survey of the country in the fifteen years since the blackout...)

K. Taylor
10-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Might be the mapmaker's room it's in for all we know. ;) ;)

frimble3
10-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Of course it is. We're old hat at this Republic business - and we wouldn't have run out of ammo so fast. ;)

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/JosinLMcQuein/images-2.jpg

(of course, I'd like to know who was able to do a full survey of the country in the fifteen years since the blackout...)
Well, they had maps and records right up until it happened. It's not like they're going into the totally unknown land. It would make an interesting show, though, an update on Lewis and Clark, or the Domesday Book. They travel around, seeing how things are going, what changes has happened. Either for researchers, or one of the governments.
Meeting people, having adventures, being shot at as spies. :evil

K. Taylor
10-09-2012, 01:49 PM
More flashback info in ep 4. Good send-off for Maggie.

And guess what next week's preview showed? A steam train.

Stiger05
10-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Last night's ep was better. I keep telling myself I won't watch, but nothing else comes on Monday night. Glad to see the steam train, but it still doesn't explain why it took 15 years.

K. Taylor
10-09-2012, 05:54 PM
During Maggie's flashback to the coast, the dockworker mentioned war(s) being the cause of no steam or sailing ships left, which would lead to a lot of things being destroyed, taken over, monopolized, etc. Currently, there aren't a lot of working steam trains left, and without organization of facilities, knowledgeable workers, materials, etc. you aren't getting more even in 15 years. Steam rail was set up in a unified US in the first place by businessmen with a lot of cash and the industry to do it. Considering everything is fractured into republics that don't like each other, it's doubtful anyone's sharing what they've got with anyone else.

Operational steam engines are in small numbers, and a lot of them are kiddie trains, not big enough to haul freight or people. They're mostly at tourist places and on closed tracks that don't link to long-distance tracks, so even if you wanted to use the locomotive, you'd have to find a way to move it with man or horse.

JSSchley
10-09-2012, 08:00 PM
I freakin' love that Texas is still Texas.

I'm a dyed in the wool midwesterner, but even I can see that Texas is just waiting for an excuse to become its own country again. Any US dystopian that doesn't take that into account is a failed one, IMO.

And yes, I also felt that it's coming a bit more together, but...

I need to know more about how each of these regions function. Particularly if Maggie just sort of casually wandered from Seattle to the east coast and then back to the midwest when she couldn't find a boat.

I agree that it'd be a whole heck of a lot better if they just explained what happened to the electricity. There's no real reason for it to be a mystery; the show would function perfectly fine, I feel, with it focusing only on the fallout and not on this "why, why, why" mystery. It almost feels beside the point.

AlexPiper
10-09-2012, 08:58 PM
I agree that it'd be a whole heck of a lot better if they just explained what happened to the electricity. There's no real reason for it to be a mystery; the show would function perfectly fine, I feel, with it focusing only on the fallout and not on this "why, why, why" mystery. It almost feels beside the point.
But it's a JJ Abrams show! Alias' Rimbaldi devices and the conspiracies around them! LOST's... all of LOST! Don't you want to be left with lots of questions that are never answered in any satisfactory manner?! </sarcasm> :P

TNK
10-11-2012, 11:58 AM

So do I! ::hugs home state::

There's a reason people say, Don't Mess With Texas. :D

K. Taylor
10-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Didn't know you were from TX, TNK.

TNK
10-11-2012, 03:02 PM
I was born there, and lived most of my life in Spring which is just north of Houston. :)

angeliz2k
10-11-2012, 05:22 PM
The idea of the steam engine next episode is nice, but it's a little too little, a little too late. They've already lost me with their failed world-building. I only got through the first half of this week's episode--I might try to finish it today after work.

I punked out after Maggie tried to find a boat on the East Coast and was unable to do so. Few issues there: 1) There ain't no way the militias could destroy every boat/ship, and why would they want to? People would manage to hold onto their sail- or steam-powered boats in the many by-waters of the United States. If Confederates could get blockade-runners past the US navy, someone should be able to get past these decentralized (ergo weak) militias. 2) Did the Canadians go ape-shit and destroy all their potentially ocean-going vessels, too? The Brits? French? Germans? I'm sure the Brits in particular would love to bring back the age of Admiral Lord Nelson or at least Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

This show only makes sense if you ignore that fact that the world functioned fine without electricity and that the United States is not isolated.

I was interested in the show because Kripke's name was attached to it, because nothing else is on Monday nights, and because I was interested to see how bad it was (even from the promos, it didn't seem to make any sense).

Oh, well! I feel like it's a good lesson in story-telling.

Cyia
10-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Did the Canadians go ape-shit and destroy all their potentially ocean-going vessels, too? The Brits? French? Germans? I'm sure the Brits in particular would love to bring back the age of Admiral Lord Nelson or at least Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

This is what would have made Revolution more palatable.

1 - all of those "replica" tall ships were suddenly the most sea-worthy out there.

2 - the Amish now rule the world. If electricity fails and it's suddenly 1822 all over again, I'm hiking to Pennsylvania to find people who actually know how to survive and thrive this way. If I can't make it to Pennsylvania, there are plenty of isolated mountain communities which still use "old" ways of living.

3 - no Amish or mountains nearby? Find a boyscout. Find a kids' survival (ie boot) camp. Find someone who's gone green for cryin' out loud.

4 - the "militias" would be actual "militia." They'd be comprised of the survivalists who have made a point to find ways to live off the land without support from the outside world.

5 - Where are the cattle? I've seen horses and dogs, but no cattle. Cows do not run on electricity, so why's everyone having to eat deer?

AlexPiper
10-11-2012, 08:46 PM
4 - the "militias" would be actual "militia." They'd be comprised of the survivalists who have made a point to find ways to live off the land without support from the outside world.
This was one thing I think the source material (which, let's be fair, this series is based on whether or not they admit it) did better. The Lord Protector was basically a college professor of history who was also in the SCA; he knew how to fight and camp and stuff as a result, but he also knew history with a specialty in the Norman invasion. He realized "people don't know what the hell is going on, I can build an empire" and he carved his own little fief out around Portland in a believable manner.

(Mind you, this made more sense given that in the Emberverse, gunpowder died along with electricity. So if you didn't know archery or a melee weapon, you were kind of seriously screwed.)

5 - Where are the cattle? I've seen horses and dogs, but no cattle. Cows do not run on electricity, so why's everyone having to eat deer?
Well, I can kind of see this. Cattle in any great quantity require major grazing area, and without heavy equipment you have a lot of trouble clearing down developed area. We've seen some overgrown places that could be painstakingly cleared, but let's say you do this... what happens next? The militia comes in and takes over, I imagine, and fences the whole place off as 'restricted' to 'secure the food supplies' claiming it's all 'for the good of the Monroe Republic.'

So I have no problem suspending disbelief that our happy little band of wasteland wanderers (or in Bratniss' case, whiners) haven't come across cattle, because frankly, I imagine what cleared flat land there IS for cattle probably is guarded by armed militia forces. Not really what you want to cut across when you're trying to avoid the militia.

That said, you're right that livestock and livestock-handling would suddenly become incredibly useful skills, as well as any of the older farm-like skillsets. My friends have joked that when society collapses and there's no electricity or fuel anymore, those of us who actually know how to ride horses at a reasonable skill level will suddenly be employable for that skill alone.

(Personally, Debutanté and I will be re-starting the Pony Express. Who's got a horse and is with me?)

K. Taylor
10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Ep 5 contained a LOT more info. Significant back story as well as moving the plot along.

I love that the printer was making a new copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Stiger05
10-16-2012, 05:28 PM
The show is improving as it goes. I liked getting back story from other characters. Charlie is taking shape, although she still comes off a bit immature. I guess she's supposed to be what, 21? She seems closer to 18 though.

That being said, if something better came on Monday nights, I'd probably stop watching.

cray
10-16-2012, 05:54 PM
revolution.....
the new Lost.

defyalllogic
10-16-2012, 06:16 PM
I punked out after Maggie tried to find a boat on the East Coast and was unable to do so.

I don't think she even went to the east coast. I was annoyed that she went to the Mississippi (or great lakes -- some place that wasn't the ocean) and tried to get a boat to sea, could then tried to kill her self.... WHAT?

defyalllogic
10-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I didn't see the episode on the 15th but I'm really getting sick of Danny escaping like a badass then getting recaptured like a punk. IT MAKES NO SENSE. these people murdered your father and give zero shits about you. stop. This isn't tag.

And, Charlie?! What is she? She's half Badass, half pollyanna, and half cry-baby depending on the day. Sometimes she's a leader, other times she's too dumb to live.

Also, superman-Miles is getting a bit silly.

K. Taylor
10-17-2012, 01:26 AM
I don't think she even went to the east coast. I was annoyed that she went to the Mississippi (or great lakes -- some place that wasn't the ocean) and tried to get a boat to sea, could then tried to kill her self.... WHAT?

It said Buffalo NY when she was talking to the shoreman. Then she wandered up and down the East Coast, then just wandered....until in Wisconsin she'd reached the end of her rope.

kmary0622
10-19-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm a few episodes behind on the show, they're on the DVR waiting for me to watch them, but I have been on the fence with the one's I've already watched. I hope they explain it all to my satisfaction, but right now I'm wondering what they could have possibly done to turn the power off AND stop batteries from even working. Plus I'm already annoyed with the MC. I am tired of whiney girls who are unsure of themselves. She reminds me of Bella right now and I was not a fan of hers. I'm hoping it gets better because I think it's a good concept-but I don't know.

Cyia
10-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Here's the thing about Charlie being the MC - she's not.

They've tried very hard, in the wake of The Hunger Games, to turn her character into a Katniss-wannabe (bow and all), but she's still not.

Miles is the main character. He's the one the action is dependent on. He's the one with the secrets. He's the one who moves the plot forward. You could excise Charlie from the show and have a stronger narrative, in fact.

They're trying to ride the YA wave with an *almost* YA heroine (she's 21 or 22, if Danny's 18), but you can pretty much see the points where they've gone back into the script and grafted "strong heroine" scenes onto a weak female character. It's why she's flip-flopping so much with her personality.

Stiger05
10-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Ditto. Take out Charlie and let Miles carry it. He could have some epiphany about taking care of his family or something and repenting for all the wrong he's done and be really bad ass.

But that will never happen.

heyjude
10-20-2012, 02:49 PM
They're trying to ride the YA wave with an *almost* YA heroine (she's 21 or 22, if Danny's 18), but you can pretty much see the points where they've gone back into the script and grafted "strong heroine" scenes onto a weak female character. It's why she's flip-flopping so much with her personality.

Thank you. You nailed exactly why this show isn't working for me.

There's so much to potentially like about this show, but more and more I'm feeling eh about it.

K. Taylor
10-20-2012, 03:01 PM
There was a continuity goof in Monday's ep - Danny said 18, but in every other ep he's been 19. Script supervisor is supposed to catch those things during filming, but the ooops happens on all shows...

Never saw Charlie as the one MC. It's an ensemble piece.

kmary0622
10-21-2012, 04:42 AM

Agree! I can't stand her character.

My husband and I are 2 episodes behind though, so we just watched #3 last night and thought it was interesting that Miles introduced himself as Stu Redman and Charlie as Frannie. Anyone else catch that reference to The Stand? Then just a little later he said they were going to "Shawshank" their way out of the restaurant. The writers must like Stephen King.

kmary0622
10-21-2012, 04:44 AM
It's also driving me crazy that there's such a shortage of bullets! They had guns before there was electricity-they can make bullets if they really want to. I'd think after 15 years they would have figured out a way.

K. Taylor
10-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Kmary, they do have bullets, but not the nice modern stuff. No steel core, steel jackets, depleted uranium slugs, etc. Puts them back at old-school soft lead again.

K. Taylor
10-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Episode 6 was intense. Got back story on Aaron this time. Still love Miles' wisecracks. Ep 7 looks pretty notable - all about the pendants.

Stiger05
10-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm sticking around for ep 7 because I'm intrigued by the pendants.

However, I just can't get invested in this show. Maggie's death didn't faze me, Nora's illness didn't. I didn't even have any emotion when Aaron was supposedly dead or Danny reunited with his mom. Nada.

And for a place where guns and ammo are supposedly in short supply and their possession is punishable by death, those sure were two large, heavily armed houses close together. None of the militia appear to be using heroin so it didn't seem like Drexel was supplying the militia for autonomy or anything. How, exactly, did Drexel and the Irish family get away with it? Seems like the militia would have shut their operations down pretty quick.

Cyia
10-30-2012, 10:45 PM
I still want one - logical - explanation as to why, in a world with no economy, gold is such a big deal. YOU CAN'T BUY ANYTHING WITH IT! It's not like they need it for tech purposes.

And where did Drexel get heroin poppies in the middle of Ohio?

K. Taylor
10-31-2012, 03:35 AM
There's an economy in the Monroe Republic - there's always an economy. People are still exchanging goods. We've seen it in the towns. US currency is no longer good, so since the Monroe Republic hasn't bothered making their own currency, people fall back to something they've had accepted as valuable for generations - gold. Just look at what gold has been valued on the stock market in recent years!

K. Taylor
11-03-2012, 05:57 AM
In the future still, but Revolution will be on hiatus from Feb 5th to March 18th and return March 25th.

K. Taylor
11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Notable things in this ep! Supernatural fans will have recognized Colin Ford.

Eps 8, 9, and 10 will air in 2012, then the rest next year.

Cyia
11-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Really liked this episode. I'll even forgive them the coincidence that saved the day moment.

I like Peter and the lost children a lot. They, at least, look haggard and not quite perfect. And they have the sense to arm themselves.

The only thing that really bugs me is that there were apparently less than 10 militia on the re-education ship, and not many more conscripts. The MC's only took out the people on the deck, so what happened to the rest of them?

K. Taylor
11-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Seems they took care of all the militia before the sun was up as high as it is when the kids go home. Because that's too bright to be sunrise. So there were hours we didn't see. Only my guess, but it's a common thing on film.

Stiger05
11-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I enjoyed this episode more too, convenience issues aside. Even though we didn't get much from Peter himself, we learned enough for me to already like his character. I'm hoping he tags along with the crew (it would be nice to see a love interest for Charlie besides militia boy).

The kids were a nice touch. I got a Lord of the Flies vibe at the outset. Although--don't take this the wrong way--where did the chubby kid come from? Kids growing up on their own in a post-apocalyptic world probably wouldn't get enough to eat to be chubby.

I was a little let down we didn't learn more about the technology that took out the lights, but at least we got something.

Cyia
11-06-2012, 07:46 PM
The Lost Boys (hello, Peter and Michael -- wouldn't be surprised if the little girl was named Wendy)/ Children of the Corn / Lord of the Flies thing was intentional. I had to laugh when Aaron mentioned CotC because I had just told someone they were stuck in a mash-up: The Lord of the Cornfield.

It doesn't always take overeating to end up with a chubby kid, though. Given the number of people we've seen who aren't overweight, it's statistics that a few will have metabolic problems or digestive issues that translate into his body type. That, and he was their "Piggy." Lack of consistent food can also cause weight gain, oddly enough.

I would have had more problem with it if all the kids had been his size, but one's not a stretch.

angeliz2k
11-06-2012, 10:54 PM
The Lost Boys (hello, Peter and Michael -- wouldn't be surprised if the little girl was named Wendy)/ Children of the Corn / Lord of the Flies thing was intentional. I had to laugh when Aaron mentioned CotC because I had just told someone they were stuck in a mash-up: The Lord of the Cornfield.

It doesn't always take overeating to end up with a chubby kid, though. Given the number of people we've seen who aren't overweight, it's statistics that a few will have metabolic problems or digestive issues that translate into his body type. That, and he was their "Piggy." Lack of consistent food can also cause weight gain, oddly enough.

I would have had more problem with it if all the kids had been his size, but one's not a stretch.

Yeah, the Lost Boys thing was just slightly obvious, wasn't it?

Stiger05
11-07-2012, 12:14 AM
That, and he was their "Piggy."

Ha! That's exactly what I said when I first saw him. The Lost Boys thing didn't occur to me until you mentioned the names together. I guess because I consider these kids opposite of the Lost Boys--they've had to grow up and fend for themselves.

I did think Children of the Corn though and kept waiting for one of them to yell "Malachi!!"

MttStrn
11-08-2012, 10:03 PM
At least Miles called out Charlie for being mad at the kid for doing what she does every freaking week.

Cyia
11-09-2012, 12:17 AM
With the addition of "Randall" to the cast, I'm wondering if the name's intentional. Stu Redman, Frannie, and now Randall... is it coincidence, or are they saying that Randall, rather than Monroe, is the real thread?

Stiger05
11-09-2012, 12:35 AM
I kind of had the impression Randall still worked for the DoD and wanted the pendants to reconstruct the United States and go against the Republics.

As a huge Stephen King fan, I'm thrilled with all the King references. ;)

K. Taylor
11-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Wasn't Randall wearing a coat like the Militia officers wear? I could swear it was the same color. So, either he's masquerading in one, or.....

K. Taylor
11-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Nora's background this time. And Monroe got the pendant thanks to Nora's sister. Randall and Grace are in some big plant.

Next week, Miles and Monroe come face to face. Featuring music by Led Zeppelin.

Cyia
11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't think that was a plant. It looked like a supercollider shaft. I'm thinking the power outage had something to do with a hadron collier sort of set-up.

K. Taylor
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Ep 9: Yay for anoxia hallucinations. Learned that Miles left after choking in an assassination attempt of Monroe. Couldn't pull the trigger on his best friend, and fears he'd say yes if Bas took him back. I was bummed when the Syrian girl died. And wow, Rachel will do anything for survival. Next week is the fall finale.

GeekTells
11-21-2012, 04:07 PM
The Rachel moment and her semi-sobbing apologies were awesome. I also appreciate that Kripke is willing to introduce a hot young woman, make us think she might be around a bit, let her be a badass, let her kill some folks, then BOOM! Gone.

K. Taylor
11-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Clip of next week's ep: http://www.eonline.com/news/365448/revolution-first-look-watch-neville-and-monroe-s-epic-standoff-in-the-fall-finale

K. Taylor
11-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Great ep tonight. Really looking forward to the 2nd half of the season.

GeekTells
11-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I enjoyed it. Some world building, character development, revelations, and Miles Peril™. Definitely looking forward to it resuming.

Cyia
11-27-2012, 05:17 PM
So a chopper takes off without a hitch after 15 years of sitting idle... yeah... no.

Stiger05
11-27-2012, 06:32 PM
So a chopper takes off without a hitch after 15 years of sitting idle... yeah... no.

:roll:

Yeah, I thought the same thing. And the guns aren't rusted or anything!

What's the plan, find all the pendants and build an amplifier for each one? Or fly all the helicopters in a tight bunch to feed off the one power supply? Neither of those options makes much sense.

What frustrated me most about the episode was having Miles so close to Monroe, with a gun on him, knowing he's going to kill him this time, and then...not. Really? I get that Monroe has to live for the show to keep going, but I can't believe Miles is stupid enough to lower his weapon when he fully intends on shooting it.

I see this show going the way of Heroes fast. Interesting enough concept to get people watching, poor enough execution to lag after the first season.

Cyia
11-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I agree about Miles and Monroe. It would have been better for Miles to take the kill shot and then have the explosion go off so he missed, or something like that.

Also - what was the point of branding Charlie with the militia emblem if they weren't going to use it at some point? Chekhov's gun people!

(And in the previous episode, why would Monroe have needed an outside opinion to know Rachel's gizmo was a bomb or not? He was a soldier; he should know the fundamentals of bomb-making, and he would have had someone watching her to make sure her gizmo did what it was supposed to do.)

GeekTells
11-27-2012, 09:40 PM
We've seen folks crawling over the helicopters in the background. And since making the pendants work has been part of Monroe's plan, Occam's razor suggests he would have had people working on them, doing their best without being able to test everything.

The Monroe and Miles scene was, to me, very poignant. I don't think Miles did know whether or not he was going to shoot Monroe. The previous episode was specifically set up to show that he had no idea what he was going to do, whether or not he could kill Monroe, and in this episode we find out the same is true for Monroe. The tension that played out between the two was great television, and the ultimate reveal was that Miles finally picked sides. He picked his family over his oldest friend, his new friends over his past.

Of bombs: The technology Rachel and her former colleague are working on is effectively magic (in that Arthur C. Clarke kind of way). It certainly wasn't a conventional explosive. From that point of view, Monroe or anyone else in the Militia not knowing what she was making is reasonable. I think a better question would be to ask what in the heck was the basis of their suspicions about what she was making.

But then it's TV. Some suspension of disbelief comes with the territory. :)

Charlie's handy dandy new brand will no doubt be a plot point at some time in the future. I appreciate a show willing to make the long play.

K. Taylor
11-28-2012, 07:42 AM

Monroe has planned for getting electricity back for years, plus he and Miles are former military. You don't think they'd keep maintenance? That's silly.

K. Taylor
11-28-2012, 07:46 AM
We've seen folks crawling over the helicopters in the background. And since making the pendants work has been part of Monroe's plan, Occam's razor suggests he would have had people working on them, doing their best without being able to test everything.

The Monroe and Miles scene was, to me, very poignant. I don't think Miles did know whether or not he was going to shoot Monroe. The previous episode was specifically set up to show that he had no idea what he was going to do, whether or not he could kill Monroe, and in this episode we find out the same is true for Monroe. The tension that played out between the two was great television, and the ultimate reveal was that Miles finally picked sides. He picked his family over his oldest friend, his new friends over his past.

Of bombs: The technology Rachel and her former colleague are working on is effectively magic (in that Arthur C. Clarke kind of way). It certainly wasn't a conventional explosive. From that point of view, Monroe or anyone else in the Militia not knowing what she was making is reasonable. I think a better question would be to ask what in the heck was the basis of their suspicions about what she was making.

But then it's TV. Some suspension of disbelief comes with the territory. :)

Charlie's handy dandy new brand will no doubt be a plot point at some time in the future. I appreciate a show willing to make the long play.

This. They're not electrical engineers, and certainly not at the level Rachel and crew are/were. As for suspecting her, that comes from the whole relationship Monroe has had with her since she was taken captive. Plus, Neville is a lie detector. Anything she built had to be double-checked.

K. Taylor
11-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Kripke interview (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/27/revolution-finale-interview/). He talks about the fall finale and the second half of the season.

Cyia
11-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Monroe has planned for getting electricity back for years, plus he and Miles are former military. You don't think they'd keep maintenance? That's silly.

There are some aspects of maintenance that you can't maintain without power. The wiring alone could have gone to pieces after going hot without a current running through it for so long.

You're talking machines in Philly. Going through 15 Philadelphia winters out in the open. Going through 15 years of rain and sun and other environmental conditions without temperature or moisture controlled storage.

Monroe wasn't into getting things going until after Miles left, which means at least a few years where the machinery sat completely idle and unmaintained. They might be able to lubricate the moving parts, but real maintenance that would allow for instant take-off? No way. The idea gets even more ludicrous when you add in the maintenance of live weapons, like short range missiles and the like.

I'm not sure of the class of chopper used in the show, but an Apache's lift takes it almost 3000 feet up in less than a minute. That's over the approx. 2600 range of the "amplifier" and not near the full lift capability of the helicopter itself.

You could argue that if the choppers flew in tight formation, then you'd be able to get several in the air at once, but their strength is as a weapon. If the chopper's more than 2600 feet off the ground, the targeting and propulsion systems will fizzle before impact.

Compare that to the altitude of a jet, and there's no real advantage to having airborne weapons at all.

heza
11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Was I just not paying attention... Or was the pendant that's oh-so crucial to everything in the room with Rachel and Miles for several moments, wherein no one thought to grab it, before they were interrupted?

Considering the beat down he gave Aaron about losing it, I was expecting at least one, "Where the *#$%&#^* is the pendant?" after he got into the plant.

Stiger05
11-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Was I just not paying attention... Or was the pendant that's oh-so crucial to everything in the room with Rachel and Miles for several moments, wherein no one thought to grab it, before they were interrupted?

Considering the beat down he gave Aaron about losing it, I was expecting at least one, "Where the *#$%&#^* is the pendant?" after he got into the plant.

It wasn't just you. I thought the same thing. The whole time they were standing there staring at each other having their "Miles?" "Rachel?" "Miles!" "Rachel!" moment like that scene from Rocky Horror, I was thinking "get the pendant! destroy the machine! do something!"

Cyia
11-28-2012, 08:16 PM
That was actually explained by the show runners - they cut the scene where Rachel tried to take the pendant because they needed to lose some footage for the sake of time. :e2smack:

K. Taylor
01-22-2013, 02:21 AM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/21/revolution-webisodes/

Missing Revolution on Monday nights? NBC is keeping the show’s power on during its winter hiatus by rolling out a series of animated webisodes.

Starting today, the network is debuting online webisodes every week through Feb. 18 on NBC.com, YouTube, Hulu, and on VOD. The network is also putting a version of the show’s pilot online that includes commentary from showrunner Eric Kripke and executive producer/director Jon Favreau.

The six webisodes are based on the letters written by Sgt. Joseph Wheatly (Reed Diamond), the character who led Miles (Billy Burke) into those oxygen-depleted tunnels toward Philadelphia and into a trap set by Gen. Monroe (David Lyons).

Kripke previously hinted about the Revolution webisodes during our exclusive interview talking about the show’s fall finale. The network also plans to post the entire first half of the season online Feb. 25, giving viewers extra chances to catch up on the show’s first 10 episodes before Revolution returns on March 25.

Here is the first webisode, “Wheatley’s Letters: May 7th”:

K. Taylor
03-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Little brother Danny died a hero in season 1's return.

Stiger05
03-26-2013, 06:20 PM
I forgot this was coming back on. We took it off the DVR priorities. Oh well, I kind of lost interest anyway at the end of the last season (before the break? not sure what to call it). I'll probably just let this one go.

Unless y'all tell me it's getting good, haha.

JustinlDew
03-26-2013, 09:39 PM
I'll pick it up On Demand.

Cyia
03-27-2013, 02:59 AM
Saw that DVR was still set for it. Watched most of it in fast forward - still can't stand Charlie. Here's the recap:

SPOILERS (highlight to read)

Oh noes! Baddies have power, we must leave Philly ASAP!

Look! There's a helicopter headed for Massachusetts! We shall keep pace with it on foot!

*Baddies kill everyone in Massachusetts. Seriously - eve-ry-one*

Main characters haz a sad.

Juliette -- We shall stop them with more guns!
Miles -- That's crazy talk, crazy woman.
Juliette -- Nah, I know a guy.
Miles -- Awesomesauce! Ya'll hold the fort, we'll be back.

Aaron -- I wanna go home. Er... what are you doing?
Fake Katniss Charlie -- Stickin' my chest out for the camera and pouting... I mean, being awesome and fierce. GRRR. *goes off alone to prove fierceness*

Neville -- aha! It's one of those darn kids! I shall now run for ten hours to tell Fearless Leader about moose and squirrel, and he will smite them with his endless supply of fuel and working ammunition for the ancient flying device. (now, made by ACME!)

Jason (aka Neville Jr.)-- But, daaaaaaaaaaad, she's hot. Look how fiercely she pokes her chest toward the camera. None of the girls back home do that. *sneak attack / slap fight*

Neville -- Seriously? I am far crazier than you, son. *smack* Now, excuse me while I leave you alive, conscious, and with vital information while I go in search of Fearless Leader.

Fake Katniss Charlie runs into Neville Jr.

Neville Jr -- 'sup?

Fake Katniss -- I keel you!! *thinks about it, but center of gravity is shifted too far toward chest, and can't run*

Neville Jr -- Name's Jason. Thought you might like to know my dad's totes coming back with a chopper and some bullets. Laters!

* fake Katniss Charlie runs back to tell everyone a totally trustworthy dude says they've got twelve hours before they're swiss cheese. Resistance leader decides that's not nearly enough time to move ALL TEN!!! wounded to safety.

Leader-dude -- We shall stand and fight! We'll probably die, but hey, I'm only an extra, so what do I care? You can hit a chopper with a machine gun, right?

*meanwhile, Juliette and Miles get double-crossed and NO ONE SAW IT COMING AT ALL!!!*

Now the rebels prepare for battle.

Rebel one - I found a slingshot!
Rebel two - I found a tin can and some string!

Fake Katniss Charlie -- All right, Danny, you like seriously owe me for the 1000 mile hike in these boots. When the shooting starts, you hide.

Danny-boy - um... no.

Fake Katniss Charlie -- But...

Danny-boy - no.

*meanwhile, superman Miles escapes with Juliette, half an armory, including a rocket launcher AND a power-pendant AND NO ONE SAW IT COMING AT ALL!!! He also, suddenly decides that killing the enemy is bad, so just knocks the traitor out and leaves him.*

Leader-dude -- Yikes! Chopper sounds! Places everyone! Charlie! Stop poking your chest out like that. We're trying NOT to get shot, okay.

*Boom*
*Bam*
*Dying sounds*

Chopper pilot -- Oh look! There's Miles and Juliette in a horse drawn carriage full of ammo! Wait! That girl's sticking her chest out, shoot that way!

*miles grabs rocket launcher, now equipt with power pendant*

Miles -- Ready, aim... dang it, the other chopper pilot shot first! No fair knocking me over, dude - I'M THE STAR!!!

* Danny runs into danger, scoops up rocket launcher and STOPS TO READ THE DIRECTIONS ON THE SIDE (<-- yes, this is a thing, and it happens)*

BOOM!

*pendant powered chopper falls from the sky*

Danny-boy -- WOOT!

* 2nd chopper, also falls from the sky - GUNS BLAZING - turns Danny into perforated paper doll*

Danny-boy -- Dang it.

*slow mo grief scene*
* Fake Katniss Charlie takes off her jacket for more effective chest thrusting. (I swear she looked like she was trying to hit the camera every time.)

* A while later, Juliette enters a room where Danny's laid in state, autopsy style. She flicks open a pocket knife, and cries as she cuts him open to remove A GLOWING BEACON from his ribs. She promptly stops crying*

*meanwhile, back at ACME villain HQ, there's a knock on the door*

Monroe -- Darn that moose and squirrel! Go Away!
lackey -- company sir
Monroe - Go away, I haz a sad!
lackey -- but dude drove here - like in a for real car!

Russel (twirling fake moustache) -- wanna cruise, dude? You can have shotgun.
Monroe -- AWESOMESAUCE!!!

The End (and likely not far from it for real, unless the show does some major tweaking).

K. Taylor
03-27-2013, 04:41 AM
According to all interviews, they're switching to the war against Monroe now, and also will be showing both the Georgia Federation and the Plains Nation this season.

From PaleyFest:
When the show explores the world outside of the Monroe Republic, the freedom fighters will find that not everyone is living under harsh conditions. “Georgia is influenced by factors like climate,” explained Kripke, so there are more crops and well-fed citizens. The land is also ruled by Leslie Hope’s President Foster, who is “badass, She’s really steely and strong and has her own management style that is quite different from Monroe’s.” In exploring the other republics, Kripke liked the idea of a “Game of Thrones influence, with different politics and aspects of these societies clashing against each other.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/03/revolution-paleyfest-panel/

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/24/revolution-boss-and-elizabeth-mitchell-preview-the-second-half-of-the-season/

Revolution has a panel and screening at WonderCon this weekend, so more info will come.

Stiger05
03-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Cyia, that recap was fantastic. PLEASE do that for every episode!! *tosses bribes*

K. Taylor
03-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Cyia, that recap was fantastic. PLEASE do that for every episode!! *tosses bribes*

Please don't. I'd rather not read hate-watch summaries every week.

Cyia
03-28-2013, 03:52 AM
Please don't. I'd rather not read hate-watch summaries every week.

I don't hate the series. I actually like it, but last week's episode struck me as scattered.

K. Taylor
04-02-2013, 06:41 AM
A new episode of Revolution airs tonight at 10PM (ET) on NBC, and after last week’s shockers, we have some more excitement on the way… or at least, that’s what actress Daniella Alonso (Nora) told us at this week’s Wondercon convention in Anaheim.

Tonight’s episode, “Ghosts,” has something big for Daniella and her Nora character in particular. “It’s my first big sword fight. I fought twelve guys at once. I’m hoping they don’t cut it,” she told us in the Revolution press room. “I’m excited.”

Revolution does want their fight scenes to look accurate, but because of the show’s rigorous shooting schedule, fight scenes have to be learned quickly and there isn’t a whole lot of time for practice. “Because we work every day, six days a week, there’s not much… we basically show up, we’ll learn the fight at the beginning of the day. For example [with] that one, that scene took 17 hours. So I showed up, they showed me what the fight was going to look like, piece by piece, just to create that [scene],” Alonso says.

If you haven’t seen Revolution before, it shows a world that has been mostly without electrical power for several years. Coincidentally, shooting Revolution is similar because of its remote shooting locations. A conscious effort to avoid using electronics isn’t needed, because of that geography. “We shoot in the middle of nowhere, so there’s no phone service,” Daniella admits. “We can’t have our computers on us because we’re roughing it. So we pretty much go all day without any [of those things]. Only when you run back to base for, like, twenty minutes, you can look at your e-mails and everything, and then it’s like ‘back out into the wilderness.’ Which is great, though, because it really throws us into that world,” she says.

All in all, fans should expect answers to their questions and a huge season finale. “The last episode of the season is amazing. It’s huge,” Daniella teases.
http://www.ksitetv.com/interviews-2/revolution-interview-daniella-alonso-talks-about-tonights-episode-ghosts/21196

trocadero
04-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Is Danny really truly absolutely dead? :(

seun
04-02-2013, 02:03 PM
The first two episodes aired here in the UK last Friday. I didn't watch it - saw the trailer of the plane falling out of the sky and laughed my arse off.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Is Danny really truly absolutely dead? :(yes because nothing satisfies more than to spend half a season claiming a mcguffin only to have it snatched from your characters the minute the season resumes.

Cyia
04-02-2013, 04:29 PM
I give up.

trocadero
04-03-2013, 09:40 AM
yes because nothing satisfies more than to spend half a season claiming a mcguffin only to have it snatched from your characters the minute the season resumes.

Such an odd plot turn. I searched the internet to see if there was some real-life explanation—angry actor, sick actor, impossible-to-work-with actor. Nothing. Doesn't make sense. There must be more to it. Don't know what.

K. Taylor
04-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Such an odd plot turn. I searched the internet to see if there was some real-life explanation—angry actor, sick actor, impossible-to-work-with actor. Nothing. Doesn't make sense. There must be more to it. Don't know what.

Because life is like that. Life has things that seem random. Death is always around the next corner. Etc. etc. You can be so dog-determined to walk on a path Life doesn't plan for you, and so there's a twist. Since they're essentially in a war, it made perfect sense to me.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Because life is like that. Life has things that seem random. Death is always around the next corner. Etc. etc. You can be so dog-determined to walk on a path Life doesn't plan for you, and so there's a twist. Since they're essentially in a war, it made perfect sense to me.I would completely agree...if only they'd killed the sister or the uncle. Those deaths would have been completely random and unexpected. Completely expendable mcguffinbrother? Not so much.

Completely.

K. Taylor
04-04-2013, 04:52 AM
I would completely agree...if only they'd killed the sister or the uncle. Those deaths would have been completely random and unexpected. Completely expendable mcguffinbrother? Not so much.

Completely.

But it isn't what we think of Danny - it's what his family did. For his family, it's devastating.

vigeo
04-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Can anyone ID the object Danny's mother removed from his chest? He was in a hospital as a child, might it have to do with his heart? If they don't make use of the object in the next few episodes they wrote him out of the script a little too fast in my opinion. Viewers were expected to be caught up in the search and resuce and to be angered by the beatings he took and then they kill off the character. This is TV, not real life. The script is in their hands. I feel like I wasted my time watching. Don't know the actor's name, but I think I saw him in a State Farm commercial, he is the fellow asking for a hot tub. If I ask for a hot tub I will probably get a sweaty obese woman.

K. Taylor
04-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Vigeo, it was a red capsule with a blinking light from Danny's abdomen. And Rachel's keeping it secret (so far)

As for last night's episode, nanobots and a nuke! A nanobot virus turned the electricity off. Something went wrong in their implementation and they replicated beyond control and struck the whole world.

We also learned that Danny taking down the helicopter has inspired others to join the Rebels.

Rachel's (and Aaron) on her way to cross the Plains Nation to the Tower to turn the lights back on. The rest have to go to Atlanta to stop the nuke.

Steve Coate
04-15-2013, 05:02 AM
Is Danny really truly absolutely dead? :(

In slo-mo, even.

K. Taylor
04-16-2013, 03:34 AM
Tonight's ep will be pre-empted for Boston Marathon coverage.

Season finale now moves a week later.

rosesindec
04-19-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm probably in the minority here, but so far I prefer watching the Militia with Monroe, Neville, Lady Neville, etc - than I do Team Miles and co. The MM side is far more interesting to me with more complex and developed characters. For this show, I need something to motivate me to continue to watch. So watching for the 'darkside' has to be it, I suppose. lol I think most of the best actors fall on that side anyway. Unfortunately, they are given much less screentime. A few minutes per ep of Monroe and the Militia is just not doing it for me. *sigh*

I guess I'll just have to see how things go. Hopefully the next few episodes begin to improve across the board.

K. Taylor
04-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Wow, the president of the Georgia Fed. offered Miles a position as general of her troops to go into all-out war with the Monroe Republic. 1000 guns at his disposal.

Meanwhile, we learned a little more about the nanites from Rachel's journey.

K. Taylor
04-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Renewed for a second season, 22-episode order.

K. Taylor
04-30-2013, 01:45 PM
In last night's ep, we learned Monroe has a son by Miles' ex-fiancee. They were young men going off to basic, so this was years before the blackout and the kid would be an adult somewhere.

Neville went to Georgia Federation (no surprise since they have the money his wife is accustomed to) and the President....is going to send him to work with Miles! Oh, that'll be delicious.

Aaron ran into his ex-wife in the Plains Nation. She has a family including an 11-year-old daughter waiting for her in Texas, so no further reunion there. They have closure and that's what matters.

AshleyEpidemic
04-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Neville went to Georgia Federation (no surprise since they have the money his wife is accustomed to) and the President....is going to send him to work with Miles! Oh, that'll be delicious.

Aaron ran into his ex-wife in the Plains Nation. She has a family including an 11-year-old daughter waiting for her in Texas, so no further reunion there. They have closure and that's what matters.

These two points were the most interesting to me. I am generally disinterested with Monroe, but I love Neville. I think I just get swept away by any portrayal done by Giancarlo Esposito.

As for Aaron, this plot line broke my heart. I really like the guy and how he is generally brushed off as irrelevant. He isn't the physical type, but he is smart. The way Rachel brushed him off when he offered to help, rubbed me the wrong way.

K. Taylor
05-01-2013, 05:59 AM
These two points were the most interesting to me. I am generally disinterested with Monroe, but I love Neville. I think I just get swept away by any portrayal done by Giancarlo Esposito.

As for Aaron, this plot line broke my heart. I really like the guy and how he is generally brushed off as irrelevant. He isn't the physical type, but he is smart. The way Rachel brushed him off when he offered to help, rubbed me the wrong way.

Yeah, Aaron does get the short end of the stick.

GE is so good at playing bad. Neville's background of being the bullied guy who became the bully to never be pushed around again is very realistic. I don't know if he'll live to second season, but they're certainly getting mileage out of him in the first.

K. Taylor
05-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Spoilers for the 13th http://www.ksitetv.com/revolution/revolution-spoilers-may-13-brings-the-longest-day/22122

Steve Coate
05-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Yeah, Aaron does get the short end of the stick.

I suspect he'll get much more than the short end when he and Rachel reach the tower. I'm thinking once that happens *possible spoiler* we'll get an "Armageddon" moment, in which Aaron will sacrifice himself by going into the Tower and doing whatever it is that needs to be done that Rachel has already said will be fatal. We're already seeing his character getting set up to be the sacrificial lamb with the dissatisfied closure he just received regarding his wife providing him with the impetus to do one last good thing by way of redemption (enabling Rachel to live and be with her family). *end possible spoiler*

K. Taylor
05-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Possible. Kripke isn't afraid of making that story choice.

K. Taylor
05-13-2013, 06:31 AM
NBC has released their fall schedule. Revolution will air on Wednesdays at 8pm ET.

K. Taylor
05-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Ruh roh, Nora got captured by the Monroe Militia and taken to Philly.

After the drone attacks, Georgia is considering surrender.

K. Taylor
05-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Now that was fun. Grenade go boom.

The Tower has many more mysteries than expected.

K. Taylor
05-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Well.....so, the power could come back on....or it makes things worse.

Wow, all those employees in the Tower for 15 years.

And Miles and Monroe face off again.

Season finale is going to be cool. Big spoiler (http://www.ksitetv.com/revolution/revolution-season-finale-spoilers-the-dark-tower-images/22756).

Steve Coate
05-29-2013, 06:53 AM
When I heard that, I wondered why they weren't more pale.

K. Taylor
05-29-2013, 11:20 AM
When I heard that, I wondered why they weren't more pale.

I did expect a bit more of a night dweller look, but oh well. Make-up dept. ooops. Or, they have UV lamps in the Tower. ;)

K. Taylor
06-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Season 2 production is moving to TX.

AUSTIN (KXAN) - The NBC drama " Revolution " will move its production to Austin for the second season of filming.

The Wilmington StarNews first reported the news after obtaining a letter sent to the crew from the show's director. The show's first season produced through Warner Bros., was filmed in Wilmington, N.C., and wrapped production in April.

"We love Wilmington, we made some great friends there, everyone was so accommodating and you know, we fought as hard as we could to keep it there but things work out that way," actor Billy Burke said in an NBC interview. "In terms of where we're going, I think everybody's pretty stoked about Austin as well."

According to the StarNews, rumors had swirled since production finished in April, citing concerns over available locations. Because the show's characters are constantly on the move, new places to shoot were needed.

"It'll be interesting," actress Tracy Spiridakos said of the show moving to Austin. "I've never been before, so it’ll be exciting for me."

The show employed about 300 skilled crew members, and hired hundreds of locals to appear as extras, the StarNews reported.

"We look forward to welcoming the NBC production of 'Revolution' as part of our growing media community," said Trish Avery, executive director in the Austin area for the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists union. "Texas has some of the best talent in the business and it is no surprise the production has chosen Austin as their next location."
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/nbcs-revolution-moves-filiming-to-austin

In other news, Ben Edlund (http://www.thewinchesterfamilybusiness.com/news/27-news-and-announcements/17911-ben-edlund-is-leaving-supernatural-his-brilliance-goes-to-revolution.html#.UaoyHrLENGw.twitter) is joining as a writer, along with Rockne S. O'Bannon and Trey Callaway (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/revolution-adds-cults-rockne-s-447424).

Tomorrow night's ep is called "The Dark Tower":

Life-threatening dangers abound on all sides as the Rebels infiltrate the Tower. Miles’ (Billy Burke) leadership abilities and character are sorely tested as well as his feelings for Rachel (Elizabeth Mitchell) and Nora (Danielle Alonso). Aaron’s (Zak Orth) genius comes in handy while Tom Neville (Giancarlo Esposito) and Randall Flynn (Colm Feore) bring new meaning to the dark side. Also starring Tracy Spiridakos, JD Pardo, David Lyons, Leslie Hope, Kim Raver, and Maria Howell.

Spoiler images (http://www.ksitetv.com/revolution/revolution-season-finale-spoilers-the-dark-tower-images/22756).

K. Taylor
06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Well played, Kripke. Well played. :D

K. Taylor
07-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Revolution season 2 trailer http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/20/revolution-season-2-trailer/

K. Taylor
09-11-2013, 01:27 AM
The Season 2 premiere of Revolution airs on NBC Wednesday, September 25 at 8PM (ET/PT), and the network has released an official synopsis for the first episode back, which is called "Born In The USA."

Here is the description. Spoilers are within!

In last year's finale, our heroes made the treacherous journey to the Tower and were able to turn on the power, but at what cost? The effects of this move prove to be catastrophic for everyone. Now Miles (Billy Burke), Aaron (Zak Orth), and Rachel (Elizabeth Mitchell) have found themselves in a mysterious small town in the great nation of Texas where Rachel unexpectedly encounters an important figure from her past. Charlie (Tracy Spiridakos) finds herself on a mission in the Plains Nation while Neville (Giancarlo Esposito) and Jason (JD Pardo) search a refugee camp for a lost loved one. Meanwhile, Monroe (David Lyons) has discovered a gritty role in his new environment.