• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Trouble getting back into writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inquisitive_Lass

Registered
Reaction score
Okay my summer kept me pretty busy, at one point my arm was giving me trouble so I stopped writing for a month, now that I am well, I am trying to get back into writing. I've got my outline before me, all my notes ready, prepared as I would be before hand but I am having trouble getting into my protagonists head. I know where I want to go with things, but I am having trouble putting it down onto the page, I am right in the middle part which lucky for me is the hardest. Any advice on getting by? Outside of but in the chair, type without distractions.

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a "candy bar" scene? The one scene you've been dying to write? Try that one. If not, try putting your character in a situation that will definitely NOT end up in the book. You'll feel less pressure, but you'll still be inside the character's head.

August Talok

Don't Eat the Grot!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tigcarson.com
This might sound weird, but what the heck...

When I can't write I grab a notebook, write my main characters name at the top of the page, then try to describe them. Like - "Shy but strong". Then I go on to the next character. Eventually something sparks in me and I can write again.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
August, that actually isn't a bad idea. I advise to always dwell within your characters.

cmtruesd also has a great idea, but, I think every scene should make you want to write it.

In all, do want to write this? Or do you need to write this?
It is a pleasure? Or a chore?

Maybe that sounds rough, but if you wanted to write it, you'd be writing.

And August's and cmtruesd's comments would help in that regard.

Aside from that, you might be hesitating, by thinking, "my writing will never be good enough," or "I can't write this scene the way I wish."

For that, get to writing. Really. Write the scene and at the end, if it doesn't sound good to you, write it again.

There's no progress in not writing something. But when you do write it, that's when you can learn.

Chinese Proverb:

“The man who moved a mountain was the one who began carrying away small stones.”

Inquisitive_Lass

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up getting back where I needed to be, both suggestions were appreciated. Now I am back to the pace where I need to be at and making my way through.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I've been stuggling too. Nothing as drastic as yours (which I see has picked up anyways) but I've been easing myself back in gently by writing short pieces and fun pieces.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I put my characters in a boat on a lake, fishing with some mentor type persona. Usually the 'crusty, experienced older fisherman'.

Then start writing. I usually get a lot of good characterization out of it and there's no pressure to use it since it's 'outside' the plot/idea.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
In all, do want to write this? Or do you need to write this?
It is a pleasure? Or a chore?

Maybe that sounds rough, but if you wanted to write it, you'd be writing.

That's how I always feel whenever I read about people who 'try' to write. For me it's harder not to, so I wonder why some people write at all.

CatherineGreen

Registered
Reaction score
I have writing music. When the words are slow in coming and the internet beckons, then I put on the music and write without letting myself edit or reread. Then when I've written enough to feel accomplished I allow myself a short internet break to prevent it from feeling too much like work. (Then I come on AW so I can pretend even my breaks are productive.)

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
There are some really great suggestions here. I'm trying to get back into my writing after a couple of months off. I'm going to go nad try these and see what I turn up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.