PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Southerners?

Vito
09-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Ma and Pa and the rest of my kinfolk hail from South Brooklyn, New York. I was born and raised on the back roads of sunny suburban Southern California. So I take great pride in my Southern heritage, and I seriously dig Southerners! Here are my favorites:

Reese Witherspoon
Steve Earle
Lightnin' Hopkins
Thomas Wolfe
Huckleberry Hound

:Thumbs:

alleycat
09-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Steve Earle lives a few miles from me (or did). Reese grew up here.

Vito
09-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Steve Earle lives a few miles from me (or did). Reese grew up here.

alleycat
09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
And Taylor Swift!

GailD
09-16-2012, 09:03 PM
How far south are we talking about here?

alleycat
09-16-2012, 09:06 PM

Antarctica?

I like penguins.

jjdebenedictis
09-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I like Hugh Jackman.

I would mention someone more southern than him, but I can't think of any celebrities from Tierra del Fuego.

backslashbaby
09-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Huckleberry Hound :ROFL: I do love me some Huckleberry!

Mine? Matthew McConaughey. Yum. And his accent is wonderful :)

eta: favorite Southern writers is too long a list to share, btw.

Pyekett
09-16-2012, 09:57 PM
eta: favorite Southern writers is too long a list to share, btw.

My top three out of god knows how many:

Mark Twain
Walker Percy
Mary Flannery O'Connor

I feel a particuliar connection to Southern writers who write about religion with a sideways stare and from a position of belief, or of losing it.

Other favorites include Page Kenneth of 30 Rock, Scout & Atticus, the women of the Whistle Stop Cafe, and the honorary character that is the queen of the south, "sweet tea" itself.

Ain't no world worth living in that doesn't have the idea of sweet tea.

Vito
09-17-2012, 12:35 AM

South of the Mason-Dixon line, wherever that is. (It's been a long time since my junior high school geography class).

KellyAssauer
09-17-2012, 12:38 AM
South of the Mason-Dixon line, wherever that is.

You don't know?
Ya'lls never tried to scale the wall at night?
or bribe the crossing officials?

C.bronco
09-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Dale Earnhardt Junior is my favorite Southerner. :)

Vito
09-17-2012, 12:45 AM
I can't think of any celebrities from Tierra del Fuego.

Me neither. But Tierra del Fuego is definitely the Deep South, that's for sure. It's way down there...waaaaaaay down there!

Vito
09-17-2012, 12:47 AM
You don't know?

Nah, nope. I'm one of them there laid-back, mellow, take-it-easy Southerners. Just like ol' Huckleberry! :)

Vito
09-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Dale Earnhardt Junior is my favorite Southerner. :)

Vito
09-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Huckleberry Hound :ROFL: I do love me some Huckleberry!

Definitely! :cool:

backslashbaby
09-17-2012, 01:45 AM
You don't know?

You might need a passport, for sure :D

Vito
09-17-2012, 03:01 AM
You might need a passport, for sure :D

That would be a big help, but my California accent will probably give me away. Also, the fact that I've never eaten grits, okra, or hush puppies. I don't even know what they look like, let alone what they taste like. :Shrug:

alleycat
09-17-2012, 03:08 AM
That would be a big help, but my California accent will probably give me away.

It won't matter. Sometimes I think half of California is moving to Middle Tennessee.

cray
09-17-2012, 03:12 AM
And Taylor Swift!

she's from pennsylvania.
;)

Vito
09-17-2012, 03:15 AM
It won't matter. Sometimes I think half of California is moving to Middle Tennessee.

:ROFL:

One of my cousins (like me, a Southern California native) moved to Tennessee a few years ago. Closest I've ever got is Metropolis, Illinois -- on the Ohio River, right across from Kentucky -- during a vacation back in the 1980s.

alleycat
09-17-2012, 03:16 AM
she's from pennsylvania.
;)

Yeah, but she lives here and has for quite some time.

alleycat
09-17-2012, 03:20 AM
One of my cousins (like me, a Southern California native) moved to Tennessee a few years ago. Closest I've ever got is Metropolis, Illinois -- on the Ohio River, right across from Kentucky -- during a vacation back in the 1980s.

If you visit you don't actually have to eat okra and grits unless you stop at Cracker Barrel (they like serving grits to tourists--it makes the visitors feel like they've had a true southern experience).

Do have the pork barbecue though (religion permitting).

Vito
09-17-2012, 03:26 AM
If you visit you don't actually have to eat okra and grits unless you stop at Cracker Barrel (they like serving grits to tourists--it makes the visitors feel like they've had a true southern experience).

That sounds pretty good. I'll go for the grits and okra, too, y'all!

rhymegirl
09-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Yeah, but she lives here and has for quite some time.

Oooh hoo! Taylor Swift lives with Alleycat.

alleycat
09-17-2012, 03:30 AM
Oooh hoo! Taylor Swift lives with Alleycat.

She lives in a very nice condo.

benbradley
09-17-2012, 04:01 AM
My favorite from LA is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Woops, they're not even from Alabama, they're from Florida!

Pyekett
09-17-2012, 04:51 AM
My favorite from LA is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Woops, they're not even from Alabama, they're from Florida!

Non-Miami Florida is definitely The South.

Aw, shucks. I had a girlfriend from Tennessee who made something she call "the fist of God": grits with cheese and jalapenos, baked with sunnyside eggs and hot sauce on top ... damn.

Now, I would agree with anyone who claimed that sweet-served grits with your maple syrups or your fruit this-n-thats was horse-twaddle. That being said, the fist of God after a night of partying was a thing of beauty.

Haggis
09-17-2012, 05:03 AM

Waffle House has grits 24/7 too, as I recall, and theirs don't suck either. Their country ham is pretty good as well.

GailD
09-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Here's a piece of our 'southern' music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzlfd5KQAUA

Johnny Clegg has done several world tours. If you missed him - catch this.

You may like it.

:D

alleycat
09-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Their country ham is pretty good as well.

If you like real country-style stuff (ham, bacon, sausage), there is a place near here named Rice's Country Hams that will ship anywhere in the US. It's a little pricey to ship meats, of course, but the total costs is not unreasonable. They are only open during the fall and winter.

Haggis
09-17-2012, 03:04 PM
If you like real country-style stuff (ham, bacon, sausage), there is a place near here named Rice's Country Hams that will ship anywhere in the US. It's a little pricey to ship meats, of course, but the total costs is not unreasonable. They are only open during the fall and winter.
Ann Arbor is not known for its country ham. I'll be checking that place out.

backslashbaby
09-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Make up some red-eye gravy from cooking the country-style ham, and pour it over grits for a meal. Yum!!

Red-eye gravy is made with coffee. It's wonderful! But very salty. Like the ham.