Question about Old Illustration's copyrights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGLOOGREENHOUSE

Registered
Reaction score
So this is a very strange question.
You might have heard about thematic appreception tests, it's a psychological tool that uses pictures to interpret personlity, my question is, what would be the easiest way to find out the specific rights to specific pictures that are used in TAP's? Let's take this one: http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1300000/Example-of-Thematic-Apperception-Test-psychology-1310980-305-400.gif
So that's a TAP picture, but I don't know what it's origin is. Is It Public Domain? Owned by the APA? I don't know. Depending on their domain, I'd like to use them as illustrations in a book of mine. How can I find out, in order to avoid breaking copyright laws?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's an attributed source on the page, beneath the illustration. Research led me to publishers Prentice-Hall, so you'll need to start there.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They come from various 1930s magazine sources and nothing places them automatically in the public domain. I suspect you will find at least some of them are under copyright.

Allen R. Brady

Registered
Reaction score
Even if a old book or illustration is public domain, a reproduction of it is likely still protected. If you make your own scan or photograph of a 17th century engraving, for example, you hold the copyright to that specific image. Anyone else who wants to use it either needs to make their own scan, or license yours.

Kriven

Banned
Reaction score
Website
gallerylost.blogspot.com
Even if a old book or illustration is public domain, a reproduction of it is likely still protected. If you make your own scan or photograph of a 17th century engraving, for example, you hold the copyright to that specific image. Anyone else who wants to use it either needs to make their own scan, or license yours.

Actually, unaltered scans are not subject to copyright:

http://www.likelihoodofconfusion.com/who-owns-the-copyright-scans-public-domain-works/

Status
Not open for further replies.