PDA

View Full Version : Czech names

Transatlantic
09-15-2012, 04:44 PM
I've got some Czech guys - Prague hipsters in their 20s and 30s, reasonably educated and urban - in my novel.

Their names are Viktor, Ondrej and Kaz (for Kazimir). Are these credible?

Many thanks in advance!

Dave Hardy
09-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I lived in Prague for a year and a half. I wonder a little about the names. Victor is common enough, Kazimir sounds a little Polish.

Some Czech men's names I encountered:
Jiři
Tomaš
Vaclav
Petr
Bohumil

EDIT: and Jan! Very common.

absitinvidia
09-15-2012, 05:11 PM
I agree that the names sound a little more Polish than Czech. The names suggested in #2 are all good.

Transatlantic
09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks, guys!

blackrose602
09-15-2012, 09:25 PM
My hipster boyfriend from Prague (27, on an architecture internship in New Orleans) was Lukas. No clue how common it is though.

Lil
09-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Are Josef and Karel too oldfashioned? Bedrich, Oldrich, Antonin?

Zelenka
09-15-2012, 11:01 PM
I know a couple of Josefs and Karels and one Antonin (although he goes by Tonda), no Bedrichs or Oldrichs.

Common ones I've come across are Jan, Tomaš, Lukaš, Lad'a (for Ladislav), Radek and Jiři. Oh, and I know a couple of Vaclįvs as well.

Transatlantic
09-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Cool. Thanks!

I would like to hang onto Kazimir. My web research says it's a Czech name... so it's not unheard of, is it?

absitinvidia
09-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Kazimir is not unheard of, but as I said, it's considered Polish more than Czech (there have been a number of King Casimirs of Poland, and St. Casimir was--maybe still is?--patron saint of Poland).

I think some sources claim the name is Czech less because it's a common Czech name and more because it's associated with Bohemia, which at one time included parts of what is now Poland.

Fenika
09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
My family used to live on the southern border of Poland. Czech made a land grab and claimed all the territory up to the Olza River after WWI. They already spoke Czech and did not move away, like many Poles in the area. My aunts both married Czech men, and one moved away from the border and near Prague and had kids.

Thus semi Polish names in Czech would not be at all unusual. Make one parent have a Polish background.