PDA

View Full Version : Writing after surgery?

Corey LeMoine
09-15-2012, 04:05 AM
This coming Monday, I am going in for surgery on a hernia, the kind of hernia that appears in a not so nice place. It is the kind of surgery where they cut, go in, and leave a patch.

Now, apart from the whole issue of stressing out because I will be away from work for a week (where I manage a cafe and don't want to think about the place without me there), I am wondering about my writing. Those of you with the voice of experience here, will I have the energy to do any writing during my week of recovery? I have never had any surgery of any kind, and I just don't know what to expect.

Maryn
09-15-2012, 04:11 AM
I have not had such surgery, but my brother did. He said he was not all that uncomfortable, that he stopped the pain medication early because he didn't need it, and that he was itching to get back to work before he was supposed to.

Having had other surgery, I know that for me, I can't write when I'm on pain meds, even if they don't make me high or anything. Whether that's true for you, you'll have to determine.

But you'll want to remember that what's important is recovery, not writing. It's only a week. If you're feeling well enough to be online, we hope you'll report in and let us know you're okay.

Maryn, sure it'll be okay

Maryn
09-18-2012, 01:43 AM
Corey, I'm thinking of you today. By now you're probably back in your room, or maybe even back at home. Feel better fast, okay? Meanwhile, here's the remote.

Maryn

Corey LeMoine
09-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Hi Maryn, thank you so much for the thoughtful words. I had my surgery on Monday and was home Monday afternoon. I have spent much of the intervening time either sleeping, or reading the Learning to Write with Uncle Jim thread. Today I have even managed to make it downstairs for breakfast. Maybe some writing will happen today. But I am taking it easy and focusing on healing.

I_love_coffee
09-19-2012, 05:57 PM
i had gallbladder surgery in August and was out of work for a week, thought i could get all kinds of writing done then, but sadly was not able to due to discomfort and exhaustion. Just gets lots of rest and do everything to ensure your body heals. Don't beat yourself up if you can't get writing done. the body needs alot of energy to heal from surgery. hope you are feeling better soon....