PDA

View Full Version : I just paid the deposit.

Anninyn
09-14-2012, 05:59 PM
I just... I just sent 10,000 to the solicitors. We bought a house.

(well, 99%. Last fees and signatures still to go, but in theory we exchange on the 21st.)

No-one minds if I just.... sort of... stare for a bit?

I'm in shock.

I own a house.

Meerkat
09-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Congratulations, homeowner!!!

threedogpeople
09-14-2012, 06:09 PM
I remember that feeling...sitting in front of the real estate agent with all the paperwork in front of me. It was surreal; almost every cell in my body screaming RUN but my hand signing the paperwork. My brain repeating, just get up and run away. You don't need to do this. RUN!! RUN!!!

Congratulations on surviving the process! Now all that is left is moving?

Judy

Anninyn
09-14-2012, 06:15 PM
As far as I know! We have rent on this place till the end of the month, so we'll jsut shove everything in boxes marked 'chuck' and 'keep' and, well, chuck or keep.

Then sort it properly on MOVING TO THE NEW HOME.

AGGGGGH

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Naw... put all the 'chuck' stuff in the dumpster. All the 'keep' boxes go in the attic when you get to the new place. Wait one year. Any boxes unopened at the end of that time were really 'chuck' in disguise. Chuck 'em. :)

seun
09-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Congrats. Just think. After a few years of paying your mortgage, you'll own at least three bricks. :tongue

Seriously, congratulations. Scary stuff but a good scary.

Meerkat
09-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Don't spoil it for her, you guys--The Home Depot will do that for her...

(note to Anninyn: it's a mega-hardware store in America....what you would call "fixing a flat")

Anninyn
09-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Congrats. Just think. After a few years of paying your mortgage, you'll own at least three bricks. :tongue

Seriously, congratulations. Scary stuff but a good scary.

Hey now, I'm pretty sure the ten grand deposit at least paid for the balcony. So I'll own the balcony and three bricks!

KellyAssauer
09-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Don't spoil it for her, you guys--The Home Depot will do that for her...

(note to Anninyn: it's a mega-hardware store in America....what you would call "fixing a flat")

It's the 'DIY' over there Meerkat.
Just so you know and stuff.

Congrats Anni!

Anninyn
09-15-2012, 01:24 AM
We opened one of the nice bottles of wine to celebrate. I think I got this one for my 25th.

Jos's sister jsut agreed to lend us some money for the last lot of fees, which is great, because it means we can eat this month.

Anninyn
09-18-2012, 06:59 PM
We have completion date of 19th september.

!

!

!

!

rhervey
09-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Congrats!

Theundergroundauthor
09-18-2012, 10:43 PM
A writer who owns a house? I think that puts you in the top 1% of writers!! Congrats!

icerose
09-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Congratulations! We just bought our first house this year too. It's such a difference from renting.

stormie
09-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Congratulations! Walking through your own home after you get the keys is the best feeling ever. :)

Anninyn
09-18-2012, 10:54 PM
A writer who owns a house? I think that puts you in the top 1% of writers!! Congrats!

We can only afford it because a: a loved one died and left me 10k which I used as a deposit and b: my husband works in IT and earns a decent yearly wage. Even then, the price for this baby was right at the top of our budget.

We're packing stuff up and will hopefully be in by the end of the month.

I'm just... I can't picture it. We own a house. We own property. I grew up really poor, in scummy council estates and the like. My parents owned a house for four years when I was a kid, but I never really thought it would be in my reach. But here it is. Our house. Safety, security. A stable place for us to have a family and cats and a wonderful life rather than always worrying the landlord will give us our marching orders.

cray
09-18-2012, 11:00 PM
wooot! congrats, anninyn!
best wishes.

eta: *cough (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5160375&postcount=1)*

:D

MaryMumsy
09-19-2012, 03:18 AM
Congrats! The next best feeling will be paying off the loan. As long as I can manage the taxes (about $2500 per year) no one can take my home from me.

MM

DarthPanda
09-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Congratulations! That's wonderful.
:hooray:

Anninyn
09-19-2012, 03:23 AM
25 years to go on that.

We'll be paid off shortly before my husband retires.

Cliff Face
09-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Congrats!

I too desire to own a home. It's a ways off for me, though.

So... when is the housewarming party? I'm sure 20,000 AWers will fit if you open up the patio doors... ;)

shakeysix
09-19-2012, 03:40 AM
such a cool feeling to OWN a house, especially one that you chose. tell us a little about it--s6

HarryHoskins
09-19-2012, 03:47 AM
So... when is the housewarming party? I'm sure 20,000 AWers will fit if you open up the patio doors... ;)

I live so close to Anninyn I can practically smell her plot ideas.

The thought of a housewarmer and all the bounty involved sends me into a state of high excitement. How high an excitement? Well, let's put it this way: It'll take more than Jos' rubber sword to keep me from the Twiglets, Tizer and Tennents Super.

However, if they have Craig on the door I'll just walk on. That Craig is a seriously dangerous fellow. You should see what he does upstairs at night -- Unbelievable.

No wonder they're moving.

Alessandra Kelley
09-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Yee woo. Congratulations, and good luck!

M R Mortimer
09-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Congratulations!

I remember the thrill. Owning a house is an amazing feeling - like you have arrived. Of course, I was foolish enough several years ago to buy in a town I didn't know, several hours drive from anybody I know, without any real idea of what the place or its people were like.

Now I am investigating ways to escape LOL...

Cliff Face
09-19-2012, 06:28 AM
I think the easiest way to escape is to carry your house to a neighbouring town, one brick at a time. Mmhmm. They won't even notice, until your house is suddenly gone.

And hey, if it's a rough neighbourhood you're escaping, at least you'll always have a brick close at hand!

Anninyn
09-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Ha! There is a housewarming. I'm not sure we can fit all of you, though...

The house is a maisonette - it's on a block of six other maisonettes. We have our own door and entrance way (and a patch of grass around 2 ft by 1 ft) so it's not a flat - and then some narrow stairs and our front room etc is on the first floor (second to you americans) then the bedrooms up above. Everything is a fairly decent size apart from the bathroom which is pretty much a cupboard. We have a balcony, which is the main reason I bought the place, because how lovely will that be in summer!

Once we've collected the keys we're going to amble up, let ourselves in, and take some pictures for your edification.

Cliff Face
09-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Awesome!

Archerbird
09-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Woohoo! Congrats on your new home! You are now officially all grown up!

KTC
09-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Congrats! Nothing says, "Holy SHIT! I'm an adult!" like buying your first house. May it bring you bountiful JOY!

Anninyn
09-19-2012, 04:45 PM
I am having some severe 'crap I'm an adult now!' and all my friends are teasing me about having to officially hand in my 'working class' card.

Jos picked up the keys this lunchtime, wo we're either going t pop up there tonight or tomorrow and remind ourselves what we just did.

seun
09-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Very cool. :hooray:

Anninyn
09-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Well, we're 4/5ths moved in, so maybe a day before we're actually moved in.

Tomorrow our net and TV is all swtiched off and it's not back on till saturday, but by then we'll be all moved in!

Cliff Face
09-28-2012, 03:16 AM
Have fun with the move. :)

Try not to go too bonkers without Internet for a while. ;)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
09-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Very cool! :)

Mr Hip and I owned our own in Texas, but had to use the proceeds to keep us afloat when times were tight. Now that I'll be starting a perm new job soon, we're hoping to be back in your situation soon.

Post before and after piccies! We wanna see what you do with the place!

Snowstorm
09-30-2012, 09:11 PM
All right! Congrats, and years of happiness for you and your hubby.

Just think: don't like color, curtains, floor, kitchen, change it! It's yours to do what you wish. Enjoy and can't wait to see your photos.