PDA

View Full Version : Literary Agent Attacked (apparently by rejected author)

Stacia Kane
09-14-2012, 05:19 PM
http://mybookgoggles.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/authors-behaving-badly-attack-on-pam.html

Agent Pam Van Hylckama was assaulted, and it looks like the culprit may be an author she rejected--a rejectee was arrested, at least, after being traced by threatening emails he sent her and discovered to have what appears to be a bite on his arm from Van Hylckama's dog (who defended her in the attack).

I have no words.

JSSchley
09-14-2012, 05:36 PM
People, it is a business.

NONE of this is personal. Not rejections, not bad reviews, not low sales...

Publishing. Is. A. Business.

I agree. I have no words.

Calla Lily
09-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I do.

Fuckwad.

Psycho.

Douchenozzle.

and

CRIMINAL.

Also, people: DO NOT USE FOURSQUARE or any app that shows where you are! The psychos use them too.

seun
09-14-2012, 05:46 PM
What a wanker.

TherapistWriter
09-14-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm so glad her bulldog was with her and her daughter was NOT. (It may have been mentioned, but the attack occured in front of the child's school and was thought, at first, to be a failed carjack attempt.) I have a bulldog and I'm glad the breed did us proud.

Also, the attacker apparently tracked her done via her Twitter feeds and Foursquare postings. That is scary as hell.

Sheryl Nantus
09-14-2012, 05:56 PM
I am an avid watcher of "World's Dumbest" videos. (don't judge me!)

One segment had to do with someone being robbed because he advertised on Facebook that he'd be out of the house getting surgery and thus the next-door neighbor was able to get in and rob him blind - except for the spycam that caught him.

One comedian commented "That's why every update I put on Facebook starts with 'I am at home cleaning my guns'".

I realize this is the current trend - telling everyone where and what you're doing but... I don't tell people when I'm home alone or when I go out of the house. Why take the risk?

Hope they lock this jerk up for life. If not longer.

Rachel77
09-14-2012, 05:58 PM
I saw this in a comment on a Dear Author post; I was just coming here to see if anyone on AW had picked it up.

I'm still in shock.

hester
09-14-2012, 06:03 PM
OMFG.

This goes well beyond the usual scope of authors behaving badly.

Lock this guy up. And what callalily said.

shaldna
09-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Wow. Just, wow.

leahzero
09-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Jesus. Hoping the cops make an example out of him to deter any other whackos from copycatting this.

Every agent needs to own a large dog, IMO.

Emily Winslow
09-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Awful. Horrible. So glad the dog was there.

Anninyn
09-14-2012, 06:07 PM
I hope she's alright.

This is... appalling. No other words.

jjdebenedictis
09-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Not using Foursquare might have only helped to a point, because he could have located her by her work address too. A determined-enough psycho will find a way, and this was clearly a guy who wasn't going to cool down and let it go.

I'm so sorry for the victim; I hope she's doing well and will heal completely, body and mind.

Bookewyrme
09-14-2012, 06:16 PM
I saw this last night. So scary (and yes, a very good reason I why I don't use foursquare or allow facebook to check me into a place even though I only have personal friends there). At least she is ok, though, and they seem to have caught the guy quickly. One more entitled asshole criminal off the streets, hopefully.

One thing though, I thought it was her Jack Russell that bit the guy? That was what I read on twitter anyway, but maybe I misunderstood. Either way, hurray for dogs!

NeuroFizz
09-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Newest literary trend to replace vampires, werewolves, and zombies -- attack of the special snowflakes...

Why are people wound so tight these days? Politics are the same way. Citizens are ready to lock-and-load over political issues and candidates. Hate has replaced civic pride and compromise.

dolores haze
09-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Damn, what a shitty thing to do. So glad her dog protected her!

heyjude
09-14-2012, 06:33 PM
I hope the dog bite gets infected and the arm falls off.

KTC
09-14-2012, 06:37 PM
This makes me want to cry. Pam is such a tremendous person. SO lovely. She said there was an attempted car-jacking...but that somebody filming it said there was more to it. I can't believe someone would do this. Poor Pam.

This makes me so sad. )-:

Susan Littlefield
09-14-2012, 06:45 PM
That's horrid, absolutely horrid.

WeaselFire
09-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Agent Pam Van Hylckama was assaulted, and it looks like the culprit was an author she rejected...

Did it get him a book deal? :)

There are psychos everywhere, the fact that this is on an agent makes it more relevant to us but it's not a common thing. Or at least I hope it isn't, agents aren't getting to be a larger segment of the population. We can't afford to lose them.

Jeff

Scribhneoir
09-14-2012, 06:47 PM
That guy clearly believes he's entitled to agent representation. I believe he's entitled to a long, stiff jail sentence. Yay for the dog! I hope the bite was deep and extremely painful.

KTC
09-14-2012, 06:53 PM
I hope they throw the book at him.

What is troubling in cases like this is the trauma on the victim. And the possible lasting effects. I hope she has the courage to get back on the horse and send out the next rejection. No matter the strength and ugliness of the attack...something like this could snowball for the victim.

Perks
09-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Holy hell. This is horrible.

BenPanced
09-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Having been bit by a dog, even the smallest yapper can inflict serious pain (especially when it's on the lip. Srsly.)

I hope she's doing well.

seun
09-14-2012, 07:05 PM
I realize this is the current trend - telling everyone where and what you're doing but... I don't tell people when I'm home alone or when I go out of the house. Why take the risk?

Exactly. I've never understood the need to tell the world you're not at home. Might as well say 'please go round my house and rob me.'

I hope they throw the book at him.

I hope they throw his own book at him.

HeavilyMedicated
09-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Ugh, what the hell? That's terrible. I'm glad she's OK and I'm glad her dog was with her. :(

Cyia
09-14-2012, 07:22 PM
This story should be on every agent's "This is why NO RESPONSE MEANS NO" FAQ page. No one wants to trigger a potential stalker - especially one who will come after a person in public and where kids are involved.

It think it was just last month that Yahoo ran a story about the headaches social media is causing those in the personal safety industry (body guards). They've got wealthy and at risk clients paying them to safe guard their families, go out of the way to make sure their itineraries are safeguarded, and then the clients' kids hop on Twitter and post photos of every leg of the trip, and update with things like "See 'ya at [next stop destination]" and an approx. time of arrival.

Twitter is NOT a conversation among only friends. You are NOT on the phone. You are standing on the world's biggest street corner with a megaphone to your mouth and anyone who cares to pay attention can hear you.

Did it get him a book deal? :)

Not funny considering the guy a year or so ago who decided to "make an impression" on editors by saying he was desperate, was planning to kidnap a kid and they had like 24 hours to get them a book deal. The guy hadn't actually done anything - and had no intention of doing it - but how is that considered something that can help endear you to an editor? They're supposed to fall so in love with your writing that they forget you committed a felony?

Haggis
09-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Kudos to the dog.

Hope the idiot rots.

writerjohnb
09-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Well, the psycho will have plenty of time to write his next book while he's locked up.

Rachel77
09-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Did it get him a book deal?

Jeff

This what I keep circling in my head: What was he hoping to accomplish by this? Like, he'd attack her and she'd be all, "Oh, I'm so sorry, your book is awesome and I'll be happy to represent it"?

I know, I know -- if you could understand it, it wouldn't be crazy. I just... *puts head in hands*

It's a level of craziness that just boggles me.

Filigree
09-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Watch him get a book deal now. It's sleazy and horrible, but I'd almost bet money on it.

quicklime
09-14-2012, 07:51 PM
this reminds me of hearing about the agent who had an S&M couple actually approach her in the bathroom, AND go over or under her stall even, to continue their "pitch."

at what point do you figure that pissing off and/or scaring the shit out of someone is gonna make them want to engage in a business relationship with you, or that word will not travel to other bridges you have not yet managed to burn?

gothicangel
09-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Sadly, this doesn't surprise me. :(

gothicangel
09-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Watch him get a book deal now. It's sleazy and horrible, but I'd almost bet money on it.

Any agent or editor stupid enough to get involved with this psychotic snowflake, will get their own taste of his behaviour.

Al Stevens
09-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Good dog.

Lydia Sharp
09-14-2012, 08:28 PM
This is just as unsettling as the fact that he attacked her.

A look through her email showed that she'd received emails that said "The normal I hate you and I want you to die and I'll kill you". Pam had sort of just ignored those for the most part since agents get these all the time,

Agents get hate mail all the time. This shouldn't be a normal part of their work day, it just shouldn't.

Calle Jay
09-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I caught that, too, Lydia.

It's horrible and disgusting. And goes way beyond the line of professionalism.

My sympathies to Pam, her family, and even her dog for having to bite that horrible creature.

bearilou
09-14-2012, 09:01 PM
:Jaw: I agree with Al. Good dog.

VanessaNorth
09-14-2012, 09:02 PM
poor Pam. I gave my dogs an extra treat this morning in praise of their species after reading that.

jjdebenedictis
09-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Watch him get a book deal now. It's sleazy and horrible, but I'd almost bet money on it.I doubt it. Any editor who signed this guy would never get another submission from any literary agent, ever.

HeavilyMedicated
09-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Agents get hate mail all the time. This shouldn't be a normal part of their work day, it just shouldn't.

I hadn't realized that they would get hate mail until reading this thread. It's ridiculous and you're right.

KTC
09-14-2012, 09:25 PM

I so totally agree. I've never understood this. It's heartbreaking that there are people out there who would wish others ill like this. )-:

G. Applejack
09-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Such a shame. Let's hope she recovers quickly, and this wack-job stays off the streets.

Phaeal
09-14-2012, 09:39 PM
The dog better get some back-up shots -- no telling what he picked up biting such a loser.

As for the "No response" policy, a true psycho will also take huge offense at getting no answer. So I don't know how agents and editors can win this game. Apart from getting more dogs.

ishtar'sgate
09-14-2012, 10:19 PM
That's horrific! What really disturbs me though is that agents get hate mail all the time - people saying they hate them, want them to die and will kill them. Sound like a bunch of 3 year olds with temper tantrums except with the size to do something about it. Awful.

Hurrah for the dog. I once had my purse stolen along with my house keys. I called the police and asked them to check on my house to make sure no one had broken in. About a half hour later I got a call from the officer. "Do you have a little white dog?" (we had a fiesty little maltese) . When I told him we did, all he said was, "No one's getting into your house."

Ketzel
09-14-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm impressed she apparently managed to keep her sense of humor after the attack. Part of the LA Times description of the attack:

Vlieg was in her car and an apparent stranger knocked off her side mirror. Then he reached into the car and pushed her forcefully into the steering wheel. One of the two dogs (http://www.latimes.com/topic/science-technology/science/zoology/dog-%28animal%29-T50023003.topic) that was with her, a Jack Russell terrier, bit the attacker's arm and he took off. (The bulldog licked him).

shaldna
09-14-2012, 10:49 PM
this reminds me of hearing about the agent who had an S&M couple actually approach her in the bathroom, AND go over or under her stall even, to continue their "pitch."

at what point do you figure that pissing off and/or scaring the shit out of someone is gonna make them want to engage in a business relationship with you, or that word will not travel to other bridges you have not yet managed to burn?

I know several agents and editors who've had people try to pitch things to them in the bathroom. uncomfortable much?

Also on my scary list - sending gifts to agents and editors, such as flowers, or worse, food. Seriously - who is going to eat cupcakes sent by random strangers? At best it's funny, at worst it's pretty scary.

MaraValderran
09-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I don't care if she sent an email ripping his query or MS apart...There's no sense in this. I know--exactly like Rachel77 said, it takes a certain level of crazy to understand antics like these and I should be glad I don't. But man...I feel for the agent. They have tough jobs as it is but this just makes it worse. Hopefully the support from the writing community will only reinforce that there are plenty of us who understand that and sympathize.

Karen Junker
09-14-2012, 10:58 PM
An author I follow on LJ suggested that maybe things would be different if queries/submissions were private, but threat letters were made public.

KTC
09-14-2012, 11:02 PM
An author I follow on LJ suggested that maybe things would be different if queries/submissions were private, but threat letters were made public.

Wow. Maybe there should be a policy like that. Preventative measures.

Filigree
09-14-2012, 11:02 PM
No, that would just teach the other crazies what to write in their threat letters.

Siri Kirpal
09-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I have one word: YIKES!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Six Alaric
09-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Yikes indeed. I'd seen a few comments from agents about handling 'crazy' writers - I thought it was some sort of joke about eccentrics or something. Didn't realise death threats are actually so common that they're barely given any thought upon reception. That's awful.

TorontoGirl
09-14-2012, 11:44 PM
I feel so bad for her. This sort of thing just turns my stomach :(

KateSmash
09-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Thank goodness for that Jack Russel. (Seriously, they're mighty little dogs. I love them) And thank goodness she's all right and her daughter wasn't there.

I just can't understand how someone could go off like that over a rejection. Being a literary agent shouldn't be dangerous, damn it. It should be all good news and deals and cupcakes at launch parties.

veinglory
09-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Good on the dog for having a go at him and leaving tell tale marks. Good on the police for getting him so fast. I hope the agent will be okay.

Kyra Wright
09-15-2012, 01:05 AM
The dog better get some back-up shots -- no telling what he picked up biting such a loser.
That's what I was thinking. A few months ago, a dog was brought to the vet clinic where I work for an emergency visit. It had defended its owner during an attempted robbery, and got kicked in the head a few times for the effort. The dog was fine, with only a bruise on its forehead when all was said and done. Every vet and tech found some excuse to wander in and give that dog a treat that day.

So I guess the point of my rambling is that dogs are great, and I'm glad the agent's dog defended her.

Beachgirl
09-15-2012, 01:33 AM
That dog needs a bunch of special treats, sparkling ice water in his water bowl, and a brand new fluffy pillow to sleep on.

The nut-job author needs a bowl of gruel and a hard metal cot.

+ 1,000

ex_machina
09-15-2012, 02:23 AM
My heart literally stopped when I saw this on twitter last night.

So glad she's okay. :(

Tirjasdyn
09-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Being out of the loop due to a new job, I missed this till tonight. Wow, it goes to show you never know who you're dealing with. Glad she's okay, and really glad she did go to the police.

frimble3
09-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Good on the dog for having a go at him and leaving tell tale marks. Good on the police for getting him so fast. I hope the agent will be okay.
Especially the tell-tale marks. Without them, he might have brazened it out, claimed mistaken identity, said "See, I was right, she is out to get me!" Good dog!

blacbird
09-15-2012, 09:50 AM
In 1980 Mark Chapman murdered John Lennon because he had come to believe that Lennon was a philosophical "phony" for having allowed himself to become wealthy from his musical accomplishments.

Among sane minds, there is no accounting for craziness of this kind.

caw

Old Hack
09-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Yikes indeed. I'd seen a few comments from agents about handling 'crazy' writers - I thought it was some sort of joke about eccentrics or something. Didn't realise death threats are actually so common that they're barely given any thought upon reception. That's awful.

All the agents and publishers I've talked to about this maintain a danger-list of dodgy-looking submitting writers. One publisher I know of sends a weekly email to their local constabulary detailing all the dodgy contacts they've received that week, because sending updates every time something threatening was received was proving too time-consuming.

I've told this story here before so forgive me if you've heard it before: but I've seen first-hand how badly wrong things can go when a rejected writer takes umbrage.

When I was working as an in-house editor I sent a personalised rejection to a writer whose work was almost there (not publishable by us, but good nevertheless), with a bit of advice: he responded to me angrily, and I foolishly replied. He ended up stalking me for a few months, sending me photographs of me arriving home in the evenings and so on: I was very pregnant at the time, which made it doubly scary. This was before we had any real anti-stalking laws in the UK (my son was recently 17!) and the police could do little to help unless he actually assaulted me.

It was only when I mentioned him to the blokes who worked next door to our offices that he finally left me alone: they saw him hanging around outside and realised I was still working, and "had a word" with him. It was a horrible period, and I know a few other publishing people who have similar stories to tell.

Bloody writers.

shaldna
09-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Thank goodness for that Jack Russel. (Seriously, they're mighty little dogs. I love them) And thank goodness she's all right and her daughter wasn't there.

I have a work colleague who reckons he could take over the world if he had 50 Jack Russells and some baler twine.

That's what I was thinking. A few months ago, a dog was brought to the vet clinic where I work for an emergency visit. It had defended its owner during an attempted robbery, and got kicked in the head a few times for the effort. The dog was fine, with only a bruise on its forehead when all was said and done. Every vet and tech found some excuse to wander in and give that dog a treat that day.

So I guess the point of my rambling is that dogs are great, and I'm glad the agent's dog defended her.

Years ago we had a collie/springer cross who would have killed anyone who came into the house. For sixteen years my parents didn't even CLOSE the back door, never mind lock it.

All the agents and publishers I've talked to about this maintain a danger-list of dodgy-looking submitting writers. One publisher I know of sends a weekly email to their local constabulary detailing all the dodgy contacts they've received that week, because sending updates every time something threatening was received was proving too time-consuming.

That is just damn right scary. No one should ever be placed in that situation.

When I was a kid it was the norm to check under your car before you got into it. I grew up, a Belfast kid, thinking that was normal. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realised the majority of the population of the Uk and Ireland DON'T feel the need to check for bombs before they drive. That said, I still do it, even now.

Once frightened, some things stay with you.

When I was working as an in-house editor I sent a personalised rejection to a writer whose work was almost there (not publishable by us, but good nevertheless), with a bit of advice: he responded to me angrily, and I foolishly replied. He ended up stalking me for a few months, sending me photographs of me arriving home in the evenings and so on: I was very pregnant at the time, which made it doubly scary. This was before we had any real anti-stalking laws in the UK (my son was recently 17!) and the police could do little to help unless he actually assaulted me.

See, that is just downright scary.

It also smacks a little of what the STGRB site is doing.

No one should ever be put in that position.

LindaJeanne
09-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Fortunately, nothing came of this, but:

A relative of mine who used to work for a NYC literary agent once had a guy drop off a manuscript in person. He was in a good mood, but seemed off, and had the vibe of someone who could become dangerous very quickly if he became upset. He dropped off his manuscript, which he was convinced would be be one of the greatest selling books of all time.

After he left, she took a look at the manuscript. It was... 95% punctuation marks. There were occasional seemingly random phrases interspersed among the pages of punctuation.

She asked the agent what she should say to the guy if he came back. She told her to tell him that it was a wonderful manuscript, she was sure someone would want to represent it and it likely would become a best seller, but unfortunately, this agency didn't handle that genre, so they, sadly, wouldn't be able to be the ones to take it.

Fortunately, when the guy tried to come back, the doorman thought there was something not right about him, and called upstairs to see if he really did have an appointment before letting him in. She never saw him again after that, so she never had to tell him they were rejecting his destined-to-be-a-best-seller manuscript.

Reading this thread makes my relative's story much more frightening to me.

It seems that a large number of mentally unbalanced people are drawn to seek publication as a way of making themselves heard in a world that doesn't understand them. And, unfortunately, some of these mentally unbalanced people respond very, very poorly when the publishing industry doesn't accommodate their need to make themselves heard. :(

seun
09-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Newest literary trend to replace vampires, werewolves, and zombies -- attack of the special snowflakes...

Why are people wound so tight these days? Politics are the same way. Citizens are ready to lock-and-load over political issues and candidates. Hate has replaced civic pride and compromise.

The culture of entitlement has grown so large that some people forget their opinion isn't fact and that if you want something, you actually need to work at/for it rather than just having it given it to you.

Six Alaric
09-15-2012, 07:13 PM

I've told this story here before so forgive me if you've heard it before: but I've seen first-hand how badly wrong things can go when a rejected writer takes umbrage.

It was only when I mentioned him to the blokes who worked next door to our offices that he finally left me alone: they saw him hanging around outside and realised I was still working, and "had a word" with him. It was a horrible period, and I know a few other publishing people who have similar stories to tell.

Bloody writers.

That sounds like a terrible ordeal, especially the part with the pictures. (Even in a warped mind, what was that meant to achieve...? It's as strange as it is creepy.)

I'm still surprised by the scale of dodginess. I imagined the occasional author taking rejection to heart... not weekly mass-updates to the police. You can encounter deranged people in any working field but the odds seem so much higher in writing. Bizarre.

jjdebenedictis
09-15-2012, 07:38 PM
The culture of entitlement has grown so large that some people forget their opinion isn't fact and that if you want something, you actually need to work at/for it rather than just having it given it to you.I have trouble believing this is due to a culture of entitlement. The guy had prior brushes with the law. Escalating to violence is rare and seems more in line with vengeful behaviour than entitled behaviour.

Or rather, violence against people is rare among the entitled--violence against napkin displays and ketchup packets after the McNuggets prove too slow in coming out of the fryer seems quite common.

Entitled people generally throw tantrums because they're trying to manipulate others into giving them what they want. It's passive-aggressive, rather than aggressive, and they generally give up once it becomes clear their efforts will not bear fruit. The bad behaviour is a tool the person is using to make others so uncomfortable that those people capitulate to the entitled person's demands.

This guy wasn't trying to manipulate the agent into anything anymore. He wanted to punish her for telling him 'no'. It's a different impulse and certainly more aggressive than passive-aggressive.

I wouldn't call him entitled, although I'm not sure what he should be called instead--pissy, snivelling rage-monkey?

bulldoggerel
09-15-2012, 08:01 PM
I hope the dog bite gets infected and the arm falls off.

Yeah! The writing arm.

Old Hack
09-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Actually, I'd prefer to see the agent-punching arm fall off.

However, let's remember that the person arrested has yet to be convicted of any crime and calling for his limbs to become infected and drop off seems to me to be several steps too far.

ETA: the agent has asked for people to calm down a bit (http://bookalicio.us/2012/09/clarification/). I think she's very wise to do so.

thothguard51
09-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Up next, a film about this...

Johnny Dep will play the psycho writer and Kathy Bates will play the literary agent.

No dog in this episode.

Dep will kidnap Bates and take her to an isolated cabin in the woods where he will keep her tied up while he reads the rejected script to her, until she changes her mind.

Susan Littlefield
09-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Up next, a filme about this...

Johnny Dep will play the psycho writer and Kathy Bates will play the literary agent.

No dog in this episode.

Dep will kidnap Bates and take her to an isolated cabin in the woods where he will keep her tied up while he reads the rejected script to her, until she changes her mind.

Will Misery be involved? :D :tongue

Ken
09-15-2012, 09:44 PM
... not cool, to put it mildly. I hope justice is done and jail time is allotted.

Jack London did something --slightly-- similar to this.* A newspaper didn't pay him for a story of his they published. So he went to their office and punched out the editor along with several other employees; then left, after getting his money. Just thought I'd mention it. I'm not making a comparison between incidents or suggesting any connection other than that they're --slightly-- similar.

Source: Martin Eden (a semi-autobiographical novel) So the incident may not have even occurred. Or if it did, may have gone down differently than described.

Erin Latimer
09-15-2012, 09:50 PM
It bothers me that people are calling this guy "an author" and are saying stuff like "writers, don't attack literary agents" on twitter. Um, yeah thanks. This guy is NOT an author, he's a mad man who wants to be famous, probably so he can spread the word that he's a prophet sent from god or something. He probably already tried to get a movie deal and that didn't work, so he's trying to write now. That doesn't make him a writer.

Also, I don't think it matters how many demented people are writing death threats to you, still report it to the police. I was reading an agent's blog and she was saying she has a special file "in case she's murdered" with all her death threats in it. Geeze, glad I'm not an agent. But I guess authors get crazy fans too...so...going out to adopt a dog. lol

thothguard51
09-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Will Misery be involved? :D :tongue

I figure listening to the rejected writer reading his rejected manuscript will be Misery enough for all, including the audience...

It will be a horror film, you know...

Maybe the guy, Dep's character, will have a parrot that keeps saying, "I can't take it anymore, not another day, not another day."

Mclesh
09-15-2012, 10:17 PM
I've been following this story. So sorry for Pam, but thank goodness for her dog. Those little Jack Russells mean business!

A group on Facebook have been discussing this story, and in the midst of our discussion I realized the "places" function on my FB page was showing up again. I'd turned it off a while back. This is the map function that ties photos of you, even those that other people have tagged, and gives them a geographic location on a map. I tried hiding it, but there's no way of getting rid of it. People are very upset about this and the implication it has for minors on FB and their privacy.

Just wanted to give a head's up out there. If other people tag you in photos, it tracks your location on the map. One way to avoid this is to change your privacy settings to require your approval any time someone wants to tag you in a photo.

Windcutter
09-15-2012, 10:29 PM
This. Maybe he counts on becoming famous--some people don't care if it's dirty fame as long as others know their name.

Any agent or editor stupid enough to get involved with this psychotic snowflake, will get their own taste of his behaviour.
But we said it ourselves. This is business. If there is money to be made, money will be made.

Erin Latimer
09-15-2012, 10:33 PM
You think he can write? I'LL bet money his manuscript is a disaster and he's a complete lunatic. You can't make money out of crazy, unless someone was to ghost write for him, and really...there are bigger fish than him out there if you want crazy.

Windcutter
09-15-2012, 10:39 PM
After he left, she took a look at the manuscript. It was... 95% punctuation marks. There were occasional seemingly random phrases interspersed among the pages of punctuation.
A true graphomaniac. Usually it's perceived as a case of a person who writes loads of crap and fancies himself a great writer, but in the real heavy cases what they write makes no sense at all. I remember a story about a guy in Russia who killed himself after being rejected by every publishing house over there. When the police broke into his apartment, they discovered literally thousands of thick notebooks covered with writing that was completely unintelligible. The walls, too. Every surface. The apartment was filled with what could be hundreds of novels. It was like he invented his own language and did nothing but write in it.

Erin Latimer
09-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Yup. It's sad but true. If you look at writing by schizophrenic folk (off their meds I would suspect) a lot of it seems to be a strange jumble of word salad. But to them it probably makes perfect sense.

Perks
09-15-2012, 11:18 PM
The reader-comment that was highlighted in her her blogpost for damping down the clamor was worth a shudder:

Not one person here made a comment about how the agent might of treated the writer. Agents can be mean and nasty, but I guess from your comments writers should just take it. Should agents treat writers like crap and expect no retribution?It makes these things a little clearer. Like it was stated upthread, this isn't an entitlement issue, it's an unintended consequence of a world shrunk by easy access. Violent, crazy people who think of perversely balanced equations can more readily put their math into practice.

Awful.

Kitty27
09-16-2012, 04:16 AM
This is horrible.

This cuckoo for cocoa puffs loon needs the stiffest sentence possible laid on his ass.

The poor woman. I can't imagine the fear she must've felt. I hope she is doing okay. Hooray for her gangster dog!

This just goes to show that there are people out here seriously thrown off. He has to be psychotic even to attempt something this awful.

SomethingOrOther
09-16-2012, 04:26 AM
The puppies and stuffed-teddy-bear cub in my avatar promised to rip this guy to shreds when they're old enough. In fact, they're in discussion with all dogs worldwide, planning to raise this guy to enemy #1, temporarily putting the king of mailmen at #2.

M.Macabre
09-16-2012, 04:51 AM
Jack London did something --slightly-- similar to this.* A newspaper didn't pay him for a story of his they published. So he went to their office and punched out the editor along with several other employees; then left, after getting his money. Just thought I'd mention it. I'm not making a comparison between incidents or suggesting any connection other than that they're --slightly-- similar.

Violence is obviously never the answer, but I don't really see this as related, or even similar. This is a case of undeserved entitlement that resulted in violence, while Jack London essentially retaliated to a theft.

The puppies and stuffed-teddy-bear cub in my avatar promised to rip this guy to shreds when they're old enough. In fact, they're in discussion with all dogs worldwide, planning to raise this guy to enemy #1, temporarily putting the king of mailmen at #2.

Once I saw the king of the mailmen at a Carl's drive-through at 11 pm. In full regalia.

shaldna
09-16-2012, 11:13 AM
A group on Facebook have been discussing this story, and in the midst of our discussion I realized the "places" function on my FB page was showing up again. I'd turned it off a while back. This is the map function that ties photos of you, even those that other people have tagged, and gives them a geographic location on a map. I tried hiding it, but there's no way of getting rid of it. People are very upset about this and the implication it has for minors on FB and their privacy.

I don't have it on my FB - are you using a mobile for FB? Or your comp?

I think it's one of the stupidest things FB have done.

gothicangel
09-16-2012, 12:15 PM
You think he can write? I'LL bet money his manuscript is a disaster and he's a complete lunatic. You can't make money out of crazy, unless someone was to ghost write for him, and really...there are bigger fish than him out there if you want crazy.

This.

And as I said before, anyone willing to work with this guy will get their desserts.

bearilou
09-16-2012, 03:30 PM

Wow, those are some hard-core pups! :scared:

buz
09-16-2012, 04:35 PM
He has to be psychotic even to attempt something this awful.

This is an insult to psychotic people. :D

There are a hell of a lot more awful and violent people out there than psychotic people who are violent.

You don't have to be clinically insane to attack people. You just have to be an asshole. Or drunk. (Course, being drunk usually makes people assholes...)

Mental illness is an illness. Being a shithead is not. They aren't the same. This guy may or may not have a mental illness, but I don't understand why we're talking about schizophrenia. In fact, this guy seems very un-schizophrenic to me. He had a very regular boring perceived reason for doing it. Most people with schizophrenia who commit crimes do it because voices told them to, or they think they're being monitored by x entity or there's a conspiracy or something--not out of stupid regular vindictiveness.

...But, his manuscript probably is bad. :D :D (Statistically speaking.)

gothicangel
09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
This is an insult to psychotic people. :D

There are a hell of a lot more awful and violent people out there than psychotic people who are violent.

You don't have to be clinically insane to attack people. You just have to be an asshole. Or drunk. (Course, being drunk usually makes people assholes...)

Mental illness is an illness. Being a shithead is not. They aren't the same. This guy may or may not have a mental illness, but I don't understand why we're talking about schizophrenia. In fact, this guy seems very un-schizophrenic to me. He had a very regular boring perceived reason for doing it. Most people with schizophrenia who commit crimes do it because voices told them to, or they think they're being monitored by x entity or there's a conspiracy or something--not out of stupid regular vindictiveness.

...But, his manuscript probably is bad. :D :D (Statistically speaking.)

Someone needs to talk to Joe Konrath then . . . :D

CQuinlan
09-16-2012, 10:41 PM
How much do I love her little dog? I also love the quote "The pit-bull (or was it a bulldog?) licked him". It reminds me so much of my childhood dog and my current dog. The old one was a half-jack and extremely protective of us. We were, in the words of my mother, her puppies. No one was allowed near us if we were crying. My current dog is half-lab and pees at unexpected noises at night.

Anyway, tangent over.

Not one person here made a comment about how the agent might of treated the writer. Agents can be mean and nasty, but I guess from your comments writers should just take it. Should agents treat writers like crap and expect no retribution?
Why yes. Yes writers should take it and agents should be able expect to do their job without being attacked.

jjdebenedictis
09-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Why yes. Yes writers should take it and agents should be able expect to do their job without being attacked.Horrifying that that person thinks anyone deserves "retribution" for being "mean and nasty". No, actually; you don't ever get to beat someone up just because they said something you don't like.

Samsonet
09-17-2012, 02:06 AM
That dog is a hero. Good dog!

My question, though, is do agents really get death threats that often? I mean, stereotypes about troubled authors aside, what do the threatening people think it will accomplish? Do they really think controversy will help get their books sell? Because it doesn't. There are just so many controversial books out there, there's no guarantee that yours will be a bestseller. I just can't...

LindaJeanne
09-17-2012, 03:41 AM
That dog is a hero. Good dog!

My question, though, is do agents really get death threats that often? I mean, stereotypes about troubled authors aside, what do the threatening people think it will accomplish? Do they really think controversy will help get their books sell? Because it doesn't. There are just so many controversial books out there, there's no guarantee that yours will be a bestseller. I just can't...

It's not writers, it's seriously unhinged individuals who fancy themselves to be writers.

And as to what they're thinking? They're not thinking. They're reacting on raw emotion.

AnneMarble
09-17-2012, 04:14 AM
This made the Huff Post Books (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/15/pam-van-hylckama-vlieg-attack-agent-author_n_1886696.html) section. There is also coverage in the L. A. Times (http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-jc-literary-agent-assault-twitter-20120914,0,7168502.story?track=rss). I noticed that in both articles, there are commenters who have started to doubt her story. But ... what do they think would be her motive? Do they think agents need publicity in the way writers do? They have enough submissions as it is without needing more publicity.

A couple of the commenters pointed out that she "changed her story." Isn't it more likely she had to remove some of what she posted originally for legal reasons? One was also suspicious because she "made light" of the attack or some such nonsense. Oh come on! People react to horrible events in different ways. By that line of reasoning, Reagan was never shot by Hinkley because Reagan made a joke before going into surgery.

Also, someone mentioned being suspicious because they hadn't seen any additional news coverage of this story. Right. We know newspapers have the time and space to print something about everything that happens within their boundaries. Paper, ink, and hosting services are free, right? My parents and I were driving home late at night, and we saw the after effects of a police chase that jammed traffic for miles. It never made the paper. I guess that didn't happen, either?

Jeez, people!

KalenO
09-17-2012, 04:25 AM
This made the Huff Post Books (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/15/pam-van-hylckama-vlieg-attack-agent-author_n_1886696.html) section. There is also coverage in the L. A. Times (http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-jc-literary-agent-assault-twitter-20120914,0,7168502.story?track=rss). I noticed that in both articles, there are commenters who have started to doubt her story. But ... what do they think would be her motive? Do they think agents need publicity in the way writers do? They have enough submissions as it is without needing more publicity.

A couple of the commenters pointed out that she "changed her story." Isn't it more likely she had to remove some of what she posted originally for legal reasons? One was also suspicious because she "made light" of the attack or some such nonsense. Oh come on! People react to horrible events in different ways. By that line of reasoning, Reagan was never shot by Hinkley because Reagan made a joke before going into surgery.

Also, someone mentioned being suspicious because they hadn't seen any additional news coverage of this story. Right. We know newspapers have the time and space to print something about everything that happens within their boundaries. Paper, ink, and hosting services are free, right? My parents and I were driving home late at night, and we saw the after effects of a police chase that jammed traffic for miles. It never made the paper. I guess that didn't happen, either?

Jeez, people!

Not to mention, didn't the police arrest the guy after matching his address to one of the death threats in her query files, and then match a dog bite on his arm from Pam's dog? I'd imagine the LA Times would at least have checked that such an arrest occurred before running the story, so....which part is she being accused of making up, exactly?

It never ceases to amaze (and by amaze I mean depress) me how quickly and vehemently some people decide to blame the victim for a crime rather than hold a criminal accountable.

Brindle MacWuff
09-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Grrrrrrr!!!!!