Human-Eating Beetles

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have an alien species of giant beetles, very intelligent. They've just found Earth after a long, arduous intergalactic spaceflight, upon which they ran out of food and began eating their own eggs, so they could survive. Obviously, this only works for so long and then you're screwed. They're at the breaking point, they're desperate, they see Earth, and they plan to go down and swarm, eating all of mankind.

A clever beta pointed out that mankind probably isn't the most populous species on the planet. If you add up all the animals on Earth, you'd probably end up with a lot more meat than if you added up all the humans.

So, I need a very good reason as to why the beetles must eat all the humans and not, say, the antelope population. Some nutritional factor, I would guess, but I'd like to put the question out there. Why would the beetles focus on humans? Why the need for human flesh? They don't realize mankind will suffer, at first, so it's not a psychological reason like vengeance or anything.

(I put this in Story Research because I'm hoping for scientific thoughts, not just plot brainstorming. Hope that's okay.)

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the Enzymes of humans is something they can tolerate compared to those animals.

Maybe they don't like chewing through the fur...

Maybe the humans are tender and easy to digest than wild animals.

Maybe they view the animals as more like them and so they spare them.

Lastly there is always the wipe out the humans first because the humans are the ones who will fight back and maybe find a way to defeat the beetles.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
You're using beetles and this is talking about flies.

However, the blow fly in this article drops live larvae onto flesh for food. Could your beetles do the same thing but because of food adaptation, or desperation, adapted themselves to eat flesh?

Link:
http://insectexpertphd.com/flies.aspx

Living things evolve to adapt to the environment.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you handicap them with weaker mouthparts that do poorly with fur, feathers, and chitin over time, the good thing is they can still eat anything they find when they land, but the downside is they won't eat through a human too quickly. They can also eat other soft creatures, and the longer chewing means more aliens are crushed.

Since the aliens swarm, attacking humans in cities makes sense since the next meal is around the corner or through the floorboards. Maybe the females need several meals in a row for max egg production, so stumbling on animals in the woods or plains is a bad plan. Except Africa.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Evolution takes time and depends on mutation rate. Behavoiral changes are instant but depend on the individual.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I have an alien species of giant beetles, very intelligent. They've just found Earth after a long, arduous intergalactic spaceflight, upon which they ran out of food and began eating their own eggs, so they could survive. Obviously, this only works for so long and then you're screwed. They're at the breaking point, they're desperate, they see Earth, and they plan to go down and swarm, eating all of mankind.

A clever beta pointed out that mankind probably isn't the most populous species on the planet. If you add up all the animals on Earth, you'd probably end up with a lot more meat than if you added up all the humans.

So, I need a very good reason as to why the beetles must eat all the humans and not, say, the antelope population. Some nutritional factor, I would guess, but I'd like to put the question out there. Why would the beetles focus on humans? Why the need for human flesh? They don't realize mankind will suffer, at first, so it's not a psychological reason like vengeance or anything.

(I put this in Story Research because I'm hoping for scientific thoughts, not just plot brainstorming. Hope that's okay.)
Here's a scientific thought - there are also problems with exoskeleton animals being large, a consequence of the square-cube law as described here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-cube_law#Biomechanic
Larger animals have to have disproportionally larger legs for them to walk on. Insects have really skinny legs compared to the rest of their bodies. Elephants have really fat legs (but don't tell an elephant that, it may step on you). I vaguely recall there may be other problems with scaling up beasts with exoskeletons, but the least you need to do is to make them have much stronger and thus thicker limbs than regular insects.

As for why they would eat humans, perhaps they've sampled all the animals which have large quantities available and they like the taste of humans the best.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
So, I need a very good reason as to why the beetles must eat all the humans and not, say, the antelope population.

We're big and slow and ubiquitous. And by far the most abundant big mammal on the planet.

Your bigger scientific problem is "giant beetles". Insects are small because their physiology is such that they can't grow very big. Their respiratory systems are limited, as is their skeletal structure. The biggest beetles are only a few inches long, and although scary-looking, they are slow and no threat to anybody.

caw

anguswalker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theyweewords.blogspot.com
Why giant? I understand you might want them giant so they can be intelligent, but there is an interesting line of argument that intelligence does not necessarily have to derive from individually intelligent beings. Social insects like bees and ants have already developed a rudimentary sort of intelligence on Earth as a multi-individual unit and I don't see why this might not develop (in another galaxy far, far away, hopefully) so that a swarm of many thousands/millions of interconnected individuals can perform complex tasks and develop a very high degree of intelligence on a group-mind basis.

That way you get over the inverse square law problem (which is a biggy otherwise) but also make them a credible threat to humans. Human habitations would be an obvious place for beetle-sized creatures to roost, because of the large numbers of beetle-sized crevices, so humans would be an obvious source of food once they'd scoffed all the discarded pizza crusts. Also, whilst a human could easily defend themselves against a single beetle, however big (they'd struggle to get much bigger than say a goliath beetle), against 100,000? Maybe not so easy.

I used to keep bees, and they use a simple pheromone to communicate danger. It is released in quantities when a bee stings and its sting is ripped out, so if there are guard bees nearby they react by heading to the stinging bee. Domestic bees are generally extremely placid, but even they can get pretty scary if large numbers start stinging (and more then arrive, they sting, more arrive etc....) Plus there are usually only say 40,000 bees in a hive, their communication methods are extremely rudimentary, their brains minuscule and they have been bred over millennia to be tolerant of humans. So imagine what it could be like...

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
So, I need a very good reason as to why the beetles must eat all the humans and not, say, the antelope population..
Because they are intelligent and want to get rid of the only species that is a threat to them.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
We're big and slow and ubiquitous. And by far the most abundant big mammal on the planet.

Do you have any statistics on this? I tried Googling it, but I couldn't find anything. Basically, my beta said that if you added up all the animals on the planet, versus all the humans, the animals would far outmass the humans. So if alien beetles were going to swarm and eat the population, they'd go for the animals first, because they're more numerous. I had them going for mankind because, "There's only one species on the planet with a large enough population to satisfy their hunger: man." But he found this difficult to believe.

I wonder if it would work better if I say it's because mankind is clustered together, so the beetles could swarm the cities, instead of having to spread out over the countryside, searching for life?

Your bigger scientific problem is "giant beetles". Insects are small because their physiology is such that they can't grow very big. Their respiratory systems are limited, as is their skeletal structure. The biggest beetles are only a few inches long, and although scary-looking, they are slow and no threat to anybody.
What if the beetles aren't actually beetles, but an alien species that resembles beetles? Maybe the gravity on their world is less, allowing them to grow larger. Maybe they have specialized exoskeletons that are light and hollow, allowing them greater strength at bigger sizes. Surely there's a way to make this work. I can shrink them down some, so they're a couple of feet tall, instead of six feet tall. Would that help?

Why giant? I understand you might want them giant so they can be intelligent, but there is an interesting line of argument that intelligence does not necessarily have to derive from individually intelligent beings. Social insects like bees and ants have already developed a rudimentary sort of intelligence on Earth as a multi-individual unit and I don't see why this might not develop (in another galaxy far, far away, hopefully) so that a swarm of many thousands/millions of interconnected individuals can perform complex tasks and develop a very high degree of intelligence on a group-mind basis.

They are a hive-mind already, so at least I'm on the right track there. The main reason for their size is so that humans can visit their spaceship. They're approaching Earth and not responding to hails, so Earth sends a team to investigate and see whether they're hostile or not. The team needs room to stand up and walk around as they explore the ship.

I could make the beetles smaller than man-sized and have more than one of them attack at once, that's actually a really good idea. I could make the ship more hive-like, as well, instead of being similar to a human spaceship. Somehow it never occurred to me to make the ship alien. (Duh!) But it still needs to be large enough for humans to comfortably walk around, so the beetles can't be terribly small. Maybe a couple of feet tall? As I said above, if they're not actually beetles, but are an alien species that resembles beetles, made possible by lighter gravity and different anatomy, it should be plausible, no?

The beetles don't realize humans are individual, instead of having a hive-mind, so they don't realize they'll be harming anyone by swarming and eating people. Once they realize, they'll leave Earth alone.

So, now my questions are:

1. Is man the most populous species on the planet?
2. If not, why would they choose mankind instead of animals?
3. Will it work if I make them smaller and not actually beetles, but merely resembling them?

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Maybe your beetles are actually something like Replicators -- small in the individual, large as need be en mass (possibly with a group intelligence based on that mass connecting with each other). City humans and stockyards are about an equal target, and after that it gets harder, cuz what's loose in the wild will run away, and chances are the "en masse" forms of the beetles are a lot slower than the individuals.

So the en-masse form corners the human (or the cow in the stockyard), then breaks up to swarm and eat 'em.

This bypasses the problem of insect size... low gravity won't cut it, cuz what's functional on a low-gravity world will be pancaked to the ground on a higher-gravity world.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe your beetles are actually something like Replicators -- small in the individual, large as need be en mass (possibly with a group intelligence based on that mass connecting with each other).

Interesting idea, thanks. I'll give it some thought the next time I edit that novel.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Why are they species-specific? If they can eat one alien species (us) why not eat'em all? If they eat all animals on Earth, by definition, they'll eat all the humans, especially as most of us are conveniently grouped together.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, in prehistoric arthropods were much, much larger than they are now, both aquatic and terrestrial (the giant dragonflies come to mind), so the surface area to volume ratio limitations aren't hard and fast, especially if they evolved in an atmosphere richer in oxygen (but then they'd struggle on Earth). But all trends toward gigantism have ended in extinction.

Of the insects that feed on humans exclusively, the lice are the most well-known. It's thought that human lice evolved from bat lice, but that's a hot topic for fierce debate. Human lice are so attuned to humans that they cannot live on other animals, even if carefully transferred under controlled conditions.

BUT, for the purposes of your story, perhaps the human host odors more closely resemble their original food? Host-odor specificity is very well documented, and perhaps that's the way to go. Does it need to be JUST humans? Could a few chimps be taken down as well? Or other primates? Or other warm-blooded animals?

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
A few thoughts...

Any species intelligent enough to build a space ship and travel the voids of space will be intelligent enough to realise they have to wipe out the dominate species of a world they need.

Humans are not the most populous species when you add all the other species, but why are giant beetles going to worry about mice, rats, cats, dogs, hamsters, birds that fly, lizards, etc, etc, that would be no threat to them. Humans would be their logical first step to wipe out, or harvest as the case may be.

Another thing to consider, is the atmosphere and gravity of the earth. If their planet has a weaker gravity, allowing them to grow larger, then they are going to run into problems on earth. Same with atmosphere, such as if their world is dry and warm, then they won't go into the colder and wet area's of earth. An intelligent species will understand they need a world that is very similar to their own, or they are not going to survive long enough to repopulate...

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
The one thing that humans have that other animals don't is the big brain. So maybe they like brains.

As far as meat goes, humans aren't very meaty at all compared to other animals, unless they go for fat, and then they'd mostly attack developed countries, especially the USA.

Chemically, we are pretty much the same as other mammals.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with those who wonder how large they could be, and I was wondering how much of a swarm could they have put on one ship. Even if it is a huge spaceship, there couldn't be enough beetles on it to make much of a swarm - certainly not a swarm that could eat the entire human race.

You might have the beetles try to eat all of the delicious human brain that they could find, but they landed in Kazakstan, so there just isn't all that much brain around. After months of them eating and the Kazaks fighting them they are lying about, bloated with brain but unable to move hast enough to defend themselves.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

Thinking about this, I'd wonder if it would explain those cow mutilation stories. They're sampling the menu...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, if they can eat us, we can eat them. What if their first scout ship landed near one of those areas where they eat locusts or big grubs or so forth?

Remember "V"? The TV show about the invading reptiles in people-suits? I wonder what happened if they let their disguises slip in areas where they eat alligators or other reptiles?

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I changed the story so the beetles are large, but not human-sized. Maybe fist-sized. There's probably insects nearly as big in the Amazon.

There's twenty or thirty million of them on the ship--it's a generational colony ship designed to save as many as possible from their extinct homeworld. I never mentioned how long it would take them to swarm the planet, just that they would eventually eat every human and animal in their path.

They don't necessarily want to colonize Earth, but their food stocks are gone and they're dying of starvation. They need to eat and Earth is the closest planet with a viable food source. They're not planning to conquer the planet. In fact, once they learn that humans are intelligent, they decide to sacrifice themselves, rather than kill mankind. They never make it down to the surface, so things like oxygen and gravity won't be an issue.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Well, now, that is a whole different story... lol.

One thing. Size of ship. You earlier said you wanted humans to visit the ship so that is why you made the bugs large. But if you are changing them to fist size then this should also change the dimensions of the ship. No sense in wasting exotic metals to build a ship with dimensions larger than needed.

Just something to think on...

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't actually specify how large the beetles are in the novel. The humans find an access shaft that's the size of a fist, through which a beetle could fit through, and I said that several of them swarm up one of the humans when they're attacking, but that's as close as I got to saying how big they are. As for the ship, I said the rooms are barely large enough for a man to stand up in. I think I'll go back and shrink things a little, make it more claustrophobic. Large enough they can move around, but a bit cramped. Perhaps if I make the corridors round, the beetles could travel along the walls and ceiling, too, which makes it more plausible for them to be bigger. (Doesn't it?)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget the bug ship has to be large enough to accommodate 30 million bugs + eggs + food + fuel + engine/equipment + labs + weapon + ammo, etc. My rough guess (assuming sphere shape) is it's the size of a tennis court to a football field, depends on how closely they pack while on board. Hatches may be small but the whole thing is huge.