Too many ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
And my fingers won't move fast enough. I have so much I want in my current WIP and I've "plotted" it, and done some minor outlining. The problem is getting from point A to point B without causing too much boredom. I hate reading a book that has too much filler, just to make a point I could've deduced on my own.

How do you manage all the plot ideas that run through your head? Do you keep a notebook handy? Maybe a drywrite board? Even after some outlining I'm having a hard time keeping the twists from coming in too soon, while keeping the "small talk" to a minimum.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
If I get an idea for something, I either note it down briefly in my cell phone (I have a program which saves to their server so it won't get lost if the phone dies or gets lost/stolen/replaced) or I start a brief synopsis in a Word doc on my computer.

I don't always come back to those ideas, but it helps me keep them in order and not forget about them. Sometimes I have to go back into my current ms and add the tidbits about that plot bunny later. Do whatever works for you.

Langadune

Harley Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The part of Kansas that doesn't look like the part
Short answer... yes. Really, it boils down to what works best for you. I've seen some people with a wall covered in post-its which they rearranged as needed. I usually use a medium sized notebook, I jot down every related idea I get and makes notes. I also sometimes use a mind-mapper or an Excel spreadsheet and keep it saved in the same folder as my WIP.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I talk a lot faster than I type, so I use the voice recorder on my iPhone. Later I'll transfer what I've come up with to a journal or Word document.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Windows voice recognition (or Dragon, if you want to shell out the cash for it) can let you take notes by speaking them. Just open a blank document and click on it long enough to save your idea, then go back to the main document you're working on.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I always have a notebook handy.
But I don't have enough ideas for this to really be a problem.

L.Blake

Soaking up information.
Registered
Reaction score
I use OneNote with Dragon and a voice recorder(It's more important than my phone and goes with me everywhere). I only get the main idea out, if I plot too much the story dies.

L.

Eiro

Pull no punches!
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I use notebooks. Plural. In fact, I have probably a dozen different writing notebooks, each of which has a unique purpose. Some notebooks are by theme ("potential query letters," "inspiring quotes," "interesting premise that needs development"); some notebooks are by story. For example, I'll use a single notebook specifically for notes when I'm writing a novel. Pre-writing, I'll using it for worldbuilding and pre-story necessities; mid-writing, I'll use it for very rough outlines and notes on scenes I still need to include; post-writing, I'll use it for notes on what I need to look for while editing.

Long story short, notebooks up the wazoo. My writing life would be a complete shambles without my army of notebooks.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I keep a notebook on my person--along with a pen--at all times. However, when it comes to ideas, I never write them down the instant they occur to me. I get too many at once, too. What I do is ignore ALL of them deliberately and continue working on whatever projects (there's never just one) I currently have in the queue. Then, once one of those previously ignored ideas makes so much noise in my head that I can't ignore it any longer, then I write it down.

That's how I manage them. I ignore them until they've been on the slow-cooker long enough to become worthy of my attention.

If I tried to write them all down at once, I'm sure I'd go quite mad.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Evernote is great because it's on a server, I can transfer things to and from various bits of my hard drive (like the spreadsheet I use to outline with) and it's a phone app so I can get things down, and unlike Google Drive the app works well off-line, so I can take notes on the subway.

It has a voice feature, both recording and transcription, but I don't work in that mode. The transcription isn't as good as Dragon, but it costs less.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I do extensive notes and even write a full-length synopsis of a book before starting. Nevertheless, on the first draft I aim to stay loose and throw in fresh ideas, wander off on tangents.

It's not until the second draft that I expect to start seeing my way clear to a final plot structure. And the third draft is still likely to tweak that structure.

In other words, I'd suggest letting the first draft be as commodious and messy as it needs to be.

August Talok

Don't Eat the Grot!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tigcarson.com
I use a notebook and a voice recorder. The voice recorder is awesome for when my brain is set on warp speed. I can ramble off and then plug it into my computer, turn it into a sound file, and listen to it as I type. Though I hate listening to myself. Ha.

The notebook is good for hashing out the ideas. Making more sense of it all.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
I use Scrivener for plotting and lay out scenes on the front of the "notecard." One of the reasons I like it in particular is I'm working on two very similar projects and I've moved some scenes from one to the other or rearranged them.

Status
Not open for further replies.