PDA

View Full Version : Dog Book Authors Wanted

awatkins
01-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I came across this site today; I am not familiar with this company nor the books they publish but thought some of you might like to check them out.

Please read this entire page (and the whole web site, to become more familiar with the publisher) before you submit anything. The usual caveats apply.

http://www.hoflin.com/Authors.html

ketch
02-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Has anyone had any experience with them?

Eris
01-04-2010, 04:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone had experience with them either, because I am writing something that would be exactly what they're looking for.

"We pay a 10% royalty on the basis of the realized sale price." I don't know much about these things, but does that translate to 10% profit for the author? :eek:

Doesn't look like there's any editing, etc.

Is the author normally one to secure copyright to her book?

FOTSGreg
01-12-2010, 03:36 AM
Erm... I'm not entirely sure, but a payment of 10% royalties on the realized price" of a book sounds suspiciously like "We pay 10% royalties on the price of the net price of the book after our costs are factored in" which is generally a big, bright red flag. It means that they can factor in any cost they want to claim and effectively prevent you from ever seeing any royalties at all, ever.

In addition, the author's copyright to a work is theirs and reasonably secure from the moment you close the document on the computer or send it to the printer. You do not have to "secure" any additional copyright. It's already yours under internationl copyright law. Anyone who tells you anything different or encourages you to try to obtain additional copyright protection, especially if they're trying to get you to pay them money to do it for you, is a scammer.