Is Being a Debut Author or Having Pub Cred More Important?

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an unagented writer and I recently received an offer that I'm struggling with. A small, local publisher has propositioned me to write a short mystery novel for an e-book series they're putting out in the coming months. This is a reputable publisher, they run the critique group I'm part of, so I'm not concerned about legitimacy. They really like my writing and thought it would be a good fit for what they're doing.

Here are my concerns though:

1. I am concerned about the short amount of time I have to write and revise. They want it to come out in November. Other than my writing, they asked me because they know I write fast and thought I would be able to work within the time constraint.

2. I'm worried how it will look to agents. I've read so much on this forum about how important it is to be a debut author for marketing purposes. The length is really more novella, 35-40k is what they requested. Would that still enable me to be marketed as a "debut novelist" (if that glorious day ever comes that is)?

I've shied away from going the small publisher route, mostly because of a friend who pubbed with one and then had trouble getting agent interest in subsequent work because they weren't debut and didn't have great book sales (since the publisher is so small and the book is only for sale on Amazon). I'm not anticipating large sales since this will be mostly local and only in e-book format. Will that hurt me? When I think of my long term career, my goals--like every other writer I suppose--are to get an agent and pub with a larger house, because I do want this for a career. Going the small pub, e-book route seems more like writing as a hobby, but maybe that's just me.

So, does it really matter? When I query agents (and yes, I know this is specific to the individual, but generally speaking), will they really care if I'm "debut" or would they like to see a publishing cred to my name? I'm really torn as to whether I should jump on the opportunity and appreciate any advice. Thanks!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read so much on this forum about how important it is to be a debut author for marketing purposes.
Not sure what you've been reading...

The agents I know just want to know one thing: Is the story good enough to publish?

Writing is writing. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you, but at the absolute worst it's good practice. Besides, from your tagline it looks like you've given up on three out of four of your works. Stop doing that. Finish the book, submit it, get published and get rich. They buy me a sweet tea and an island to drink it on. :)

Jeff

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Being a debut can add a lot of weight to a book deal. You have no sales record to scare off publishers or book sellers when they search your name, so there's no reason for them to believe you're going to sell well.

Having a publishing history can add a lot of weight to a book deal - IF your previous numbers are solid and/or you published through a reputable company. If not, you've got dead weight. Publishers and booksellers will check your name and your numbers and adjust their expectations accordingly.

You'd still have to tell an agent that you've been published, but perhaps a pseudonym could curb some of the risk of name association with the smaller project, if you decide to do it. You're the only one qualified to decide what is or isn't in your best interest.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
Well, for all intents and purposes, an e-published only novella by a smal publisher doesn't count as your debut. Mostly because the reason being a debut is so important is for the key accounts, like B&N, looking at your former sales.

They won't look at #s for your novella at all. So as far as marketing goes, you ARE a debut.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your input everyone!

I've decided not to do it. I feel the low sales could only hurt me and a month isn't enough time to put my best work out there.

Weasel: I haven't given up on them necessarily. Three of them are finished. I'm editing one now, one has gone through the query ringer for the past year, and one needs to rest for a while. The fourth I'm still in love with the idea, I just need to plot more before I can really sit down and write, so it's taken a backseat to my current WIP.

Having this opportunity has given me a new idea though, so maybe I'll run with it when I finish editing.

Thanks again!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Well, for all intents and purposes, an e-published only novella by a smal publisher doesn't count as your debut. Mostly because the reason being a debut is so important is for the key accounts, like B&N, looking at your former sales.

They won't look at #s for your novella at all. So as far as marketing goes, you ARE a debut.
This is what I figured. It just doesn't matter. Though a normal paperback novel from a small publisher might be a very different can of words.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
This is what I figured. It just doesn't matter. Though a normal paperback novel from a small publisher might be a very different can of words.

Kind of. See, it depends on how they can present it to sales/marketing/key accounts.

Like, for instance, there are big authors who sold books to one of my publishers--flux--which is a well respected independent YA imprint. From what I understand based on my experienced with them/what i know of these books, the sales were good in terms of their expectations but if it were at a big 6, the sales would be modest/low.

Those authors still got huge deals elsewhere becuase the big 6 publisher knew that positioning the book right and marketing it differently would be all that it took-- the book did well in the "small pond" and they didn't mind that if that same book had been published by them that it might be a failure or below expectations.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of. See, it depends on how they can present it to sales/marketing/key accounts.

Like, for instance, there are big authors who sold books to one of my publishers--flux--which is a well respected independent YA imprint. From what I understand based on my experienced with them/what i know of these books, the sales were good in terms of their expectations but if it were at a big 6, the sales would be modest/low.

Those authors still got huge deals elsewhere becuase the big 6 publisher knew that positioning the book right and marketing it differently would be all that it took-- the book did well in the "small pond" and they didn't mind that if that same book had been published by them that it might be a failure or below expectations.

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

That's good to know!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Stop being such a wet blanket, blacbird.