Geological / terrain terminology

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
I've got a BIG valley, BIG waterfall(think Angel Falls) descending into a lake that empties into an underwater river.

Underneath the valley is a network of BIG caves and I'm setting three scenes at the entrance.

My way in is through a cave where a massive section of roof has collapsed in the fairly distant past, creating a big hole in the ground with one safe trail leading down to cave floor level. The diameter of the chasm is around half a mile.

My problem is overuse of chasm for the big hole.

Crater seems an appropriate substitute, but crater conjures up "impact" in my mind and there was no impact. By definition, volcanos have craters without impacts but I want to use crater spareingly.

Ravine / gorge / canyon have dictionary definitions too tight for me to think they'd work, so I'm short of descriptive terms.

Anyone able to help name the big hole in the groud?

Craig

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve seen a similar geological formation to what you have described in the Caribbean. It is smaller, about the size of one and one-half football fields and about 230 feet deep. It is linked to several caves, one side has an overhang with stalagmites, and it has its own microclimate. They call it a sink cave or a sink hole.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What do the locals in your story call it?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Sinkhole.
But I'm worried that might cause your readers to think of something quite a bit smaller...like what we call a sinkhole in a road.

OnlyStones

Badger told me ...
Registered
Reaction score
Pit, hollow, hole, rut, sink, trough, pocket, shaft, abyss, cavern, recess, earthly antrum, and lacuna.

But, I like Waylander's question. It seems that a feature like this would have a name given to it by those who live nearby. Once you have that - stick with it for the most part since it should be treated like a character's name.

Last edited:

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
What do the locals in your story call it?

Bangs head on table.

Thank you. It's something I'm adding to my story on second draft and only created it yesterday as my final few chapters needed a more memorable setting, so it's new in my head. Of course the locals will have named it.

That helps a lot.

Cleft, abyss and sinkhole are all useable to mix it up a bit. I'm already using cavern for the chambers with intact ceilings.

Thanks everyone.

Craig

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But I'm worried that might cause your readers to think of something quite a bit smaller...like what we call a sinkhole in a road.
Pothole -> Sinkhole -> Massive Sinkhole -> Gaping Maw of the Underworld...

There's a natural progression

Jeff