PDA

View Full Version : CJacobo's Before The Holidays AW Contest

MacAllister
09-10-2012, 07:14 AM
GUIDELINES

Entries must primarily consist of: Dialogue
Entries must represent substantial interpersonal conflict
Entries must be titled
Entries must be 3000 words or less (not including the title)
Poetry that otherwise fits the guidelines is totally admissible
All genres are welcome.

SUBMISSIONS OPEN OCTOBER 1ST and CLOSE OCTOBER 31st

Prizes to Be Announced - But they'll be damn good!
Including, but not limited to:
$150 for First Prize, donated by CJacobo (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=64417)
$65 for Second Prize, donated by swachski (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=45197)
$35 for Third Prize, donated by swachski (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=45197)

Rules

Entrants must be members of AW in good standing since at least September 30, 2012 (members who join later than September 30th will not be eligible for this contest). Limit ONE entry per member.

Entries will be posted exactly as submitted. Please make sure your spelling and formatting are exactly as you want them before you submit your entry. We will not proofread or edit the entries.

All AW members in good standing since at least October 1, 2012, are eligible to vote.
Entrants must vote to be eligible to win.

How to Enter
Send your entry to submissions (AT) absolutewrite.com AFTER midnight, October 1, 2012 and BEFORE October 31st at 11:59 PM US PACIFIC

Do NOT post entries in this thread. They will be deleted and disqualified.

VOTING PROTOCOL TO BE ANNOUNCED

You retain all rights to your entry, save the temporary non-exclusive digital rights you're granting us to post it for voting. The winning three stories will be posted on AbsoluteWrite.com, but only with the authors' express permission, should they so desire.

(With a nod to Smish, whose contest template I've blatantly ripped off.)

More details coming - but in the meantime, feel free to ask questions here!

Bufty
09-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Does 'interpersonal' exclude non-humans?

MacAllister
09-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Nope. If it's capable of carrying on part of a conversation, then it counts as a person, for our purposes.

Calliopenjo
09-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Stupid question but, is this the short fiction contest that CJacobo originally posted or is this different?

Are we sending these as attachments or copied and pasted into the body of the email?

BunnyMaz
09-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Oooh interesting! Dialogue is one of my weak areas, so this could be a fun challenge.

MacAllister
09-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Stupid question but, is this the short fiction contest that CJacobo originally posted or is this different?

Are we sending these as attachments or copied and pasted into the body of the email?

Yes, this is the contest CJacobo was proposing - and send the story as an attachment, standard manuscript format.

Manuel Royal
09-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Mac, just to be clear -- it doesn't have to be dialogue between a man and woman? (I think that was in CJacobo's original post.)

Looking forward to entering. Been meaning to write more short stories.

MacAllister
09-13-2012, 04:07 AM
Right - we're going to open it up a bit further than that, for the sake of including more genres/conventions/situations.

Prog
09-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Can I ask, does the title "Before the Holidays" have to figure into the story? Or does the story have to be set before holidays?

HarryHoskins
09-14-2012, 03:31 AM
Great to see the contest off the ground. Good show Cjacobo for getting things started and offering a grand prize and nice work AW for making the TBA prizes so tantalising.

Here's my questions.

*Will the voting protocol be announced before the submission period opens.

*Is there a percentage or rough guide for the amount of dialogue required in relation to non-dialogue.

*Am I correct in saying there is no minimum word count.

*Does it have to be a new or previously unpublished work.

*When published for voting, will indentions in the text be maintained or will you use flat paragraphs with a line break.

*Will entries be posted for the vote in order that they are received.

That's about all I got for questions. Thanks in advance for the answers and double thanks to everyone involved on the organisation and donation fronts for setting up such an exciting contest.

MacAllister
09-15-2012, 05:52 AM
Can I ask, does the title "Before the Holidays" have to figure into the story? Or does the story have to be set before holidays?
Nope. That's just when the contest will be running. :) Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Here's my questions.

*Will the voting protocol be announced before the submission period opens.
Yep. The entries will be posted here on AW (In a passworded subforum off of this room) for a community vote. One vote per member. Participants MAY vote, and MAY vote for themselves. You'll PM your votes to a volunteer, still to be shanghaied determined.

*Is there a percentage or rough guide for the amount of dialogue required in relation to non-dialogue.
You know, let me talk to Caleb about that, and get back to you on it.

*Am I correct in saying there is no minimum word count.
Yep. But a 200 word flash piece is going to have to be pretty seriously incredible to stand up against the amount of development and characterization possible in a 3000 word piece -- not that it can't be done.

*Does it have to be a new or previously unpublished work.

Yes, new or previously unpublished.

*When published for voting, will indentions in the text be maintained or will you use flat paragraphs with a line break.

Flat paragraphs with a line break.

*Will entries be posted for the vote in order that they are received.

Not necessarily - but I'll post them in batches of three to five submissions, as they come in, so no one is trying to first-read all however-many at once.

In other great news, swachski has also donated $65 for 2nd and $35 for 3rd place prizes.

Prog
09-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks!

HarryHoskins
09-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Thank you for the answers and ...

In other great news, swachski has also donated $65 for 2nd and $35 for 3rd place prizes.

Way to go swachski! :)

captain_ryan
09-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Yep. But a 200 word flash piece is going to have to be pretty seriously incredible to stand up against the amount of development and characterization possible in a 3000 word piece -- not that it can't be done.

I just counted the piece I wrote last week for this, and I'm at 205. :gaah

Seriously though, I want to thank you guys for putting on this contest. I've been really struggling with finding time to write over the last year. I work three jobs, and writing for myself hasn't exactly been on the front burner. I was going stir crazy when I read about this, and I thought, "A competition? Now that's a reason to make time!" So to everybody involved, THANK YOU.

And, although I know the odds are against me, I'm eager to see how my 205 David fares against the 3000-word Goliaths. :e2sling:

Good luck, all. This should be fun.

Chasing the Horizon
09-17-2012, 11:59 PM
This sounds really interesting.

I'd need an answer to this too.

captain_ryan
09-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Wow, that's a creepy avatar.

Calliopenjo
09-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Any word on the percentage of dialogue rule?

Chasing the Horizon
09-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Wow, that's a crepy avatar.
Lol, thanks. And I don't even write horror.

MacAllister
09-19-2012, 02:09 AM
Figure at least 75% dialogue - but with a little bit of wiggle room for really well-written pieces.

HarryHoskins
09-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Figure at least 75% dialogue - but with a little bit of wiggle room for really well-written pieces.

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification.

Manuel Royal
09-20-2012, 03:03 AM
Here's another fun question (relevant to the story idea I'm playing with): does it have to be spoken (as in, uttered aloud) dialogue, or can it be all or partially typed? (Within the story, by the characters, that is; obviously the whole thing'll be typed by me.)

CJacobo
09-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Hey all, I just wanted to pop on and say thank you for your enthusiasm about the contest.

MacAllister and her team have done a wonderful job getting the details worked out and addressing your questions on this thread, so a big thank you to them!

I hope this gets y'all writing, and best of all, strengthening your craft. Happy writing. I'm excited to see your entries!

Manuel Royal
09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Here's another fun question (relevant to the story idea I'm playing with): does it have to be spoken (as in, uttered aloud) dialogue, or can it be all or partially typed? (Within the story, by the characters, that is; obviously the whole thing'll be typed by me.)
Would still like an answer, as I'm about to start on that story. If not told otherwise, I'll assume the in-story medium of dialogue doesn't matter.

ETA: Thanks again, Jacobo! Kind of excited about this; haven't done a short story in too long, and have a good idea, if I can make it work.

victoriakmartin
09-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I think I've nailed down an idea for mine that would work, I'm definitely excited to see how it turns out!

MacAllister
09-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Would still like an answer, as I'm about to start on that story. If not told otherwise, I'll assume the in-story medium of dialogue doesn't matter.

ETA: Thanks again, Jacobo! Kind of excited about this; haven't done a short story in too long, and have a good idea, if I can make it work.
As long as it's dialogue, then the format or medium isn't an issue.

Manuel Royal
09-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks, Mac. Just wanted to be sure.

Calliopenjo
09-25-2012, 09:26 PM
I forgot to ask this, and it is a stupid question but that aside, are we putting our names on the stories we enter? Or is our name on the cover page only?

MacAllister
09-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Your names should be on your stories you email to us, yes -- but I'll strip the names off before posting 'em to be voted on.

Manuel Royal
09-29-2012, 05:03 PM
A friend of mine just joined but can't post yet; she wanted to know if there's a preferred file format for the submissions.

She wanted to send a .pdf; I thought you might prefer a regular word processing file type, so you can set the paragraph format the way you want. (I'm planning to send an .rtf.)

Deepthought
10-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Hi. Sorry for the dumb questions (I'm a noob yet) but I have a few:

1. What is the actual email address the submissions are to be sent to?

2. Should I use my real or user name on the cover?

Thanks in advance

KellyAssauer
10-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Hi. Sorry for the dumb questions (I'm a noob yet) but I have a few:

1. What is the actual email address the submissions are to be sent to?

submissions (AT) absolutewrite.com

You need to be a little inventive here and realize that the (at) is meant to be the @ and of course squish everything together as one 'word'.

2. Should I use my real or user name on the cover?
Thanks in advance

Use your AW user name. You're the only one that knows your real name around here! ;)

Deepthought
10-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Oh. I don't know much about email, and now I get it. Thank you.

Manuel Royal
10-06-2012, 02:11 AM

Oh. I don't know much about email, and now I get it. Thank you.I understand email addresses, but don't know how the electronic part works. If it were on the Flintstones, it would involve a little bird.

captain_ryan
10-06-2012, 08:44 AM
If it were on the Flintstones, it would involved a little bird.

HA!

night-flyer
10-08-2012, 04:55 AM
I just found this. Thank you Medievalist for pointing me in the right direction. I want to thank Caleb, Mac, Swachski, and all involved in making this happen. Great prizes! I'm excited and am going to give it a try. Good luck to all.

Psychomacologist
10-16-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm just curious - how will the ratio of dialogue to non-dialogue be gauged? Are you guys going to do word counts and work out percentages?

*is working on something*

night-flyer
10-17-2012, 03:15 AM
Is cursing and gore okay? Because I think my story may involve a little of each... it's not my fault, I'm a horror writer and that's what came out. :Shrug: I'll post warnings...though it's not really that bad.

gettingby
10-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Are the stories going to be shown in a password-protected area? I ask because I am wondering if the writers who don't win could still use the story as an unpublished piece in the future.

MacAllister
10-18-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm just curious - how will the ratio of dialogue to non-dialogue be gauged? Are you guys going to do word counts and work out percentages?

*is working on something*
We're going to eyeball it, but if it *feels* wrong, we'll do a word count and check actual percentages.

Is cursing and gore okay? Because I think my story may involve a little of each... it's not my fault, I'm a horror writer and that's what came out. :Shrug: I'll post warnings...though it's not really that bad.Yep. Just fine.

Are the stories going to be shown in a password-protected area? I ask because I am wondering if the writers who don't win could still use the story as an unpublished piece in the future.
Yep, they will be protected in a subforum right here, and writers should TOTALLY submit their stories, winning or not.

Psychomacologist
10-18-2012, 09:09 PM
We're going to eyeball it, but if it *feels* wrong, we'll do a word count and check actual percentages.

Soooooo I should stop counting the words and just go by feel, then? Because my instinct is always to start doing maths. And then make a graph.

*is a huge nerd*

MacAllister
10-19-2012, 02:42 AM
If it makes ya happy to count, who am I to stop you? :D

Lidiya
10-20-2012, 02:52 PM
When you say substantial interpersonal conflict, does the story have to revolve around it, or can it just be included (like the last competition's socks).

I'm not sure if my story has enough conflict.

Bufty
10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Join the club! :snoopy:I guess whether it's substantial or not depends on the individuals involved.

I'll cross my fingers for you if you do likewise. :snoopy: :Hug2:

When you say substantial interpersonal conflict, does the story have to revolve around it, or can it just be included (like the last competition's socks).

kkbe
10-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Are pdf docs ok, or is Word preferable, or ? Thank you, btw.

MacAllister
10-23-2012, 09:40 PM
NO on the pdf - I have to be able to manipulate these documents.

Standard submission format (http://www.dailywritingtips.com/16-manuscript-format-guidelines/), sent as a .doc or .rtf -- is there actually someplace out there asking for .pdf submissions?

MacAllister
10-23-2012, 09:43 PM

Interpersonal conflict isn't like a pair of socks :/ Why on earth would you just "include" it in dialog, unless it's a driving element?

The story doesn't have to revolve around it -- but it's not like socks, either, and you have to do more than mention, "When mom cut off dad's ear last year, over that woman he was seeing down at the Mini Mart..."

kkbe
10-23-2012, 09:59 PM
- is there actually someplace out there asking for .pdf submissions?

Some Betas, MacAllister. I have Betas-on-the-Brain. Thx.

MacAllister
10-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Some Betas, MacAllister. I have Betas-on-the-Brain. Thx.
Oh, that makes sense, thank you! Sure, if I was beta-ing, then a .pdf or ePub would be way easier than reading a .doc or .rtf -- but for a submission, not so much.

Haggis
10-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Interpersonal conflict isn't like a pair of socks :/ Why on earth would you just "include" it in dialog, unless it's a driving element?

The story doesn't have to revolve around it -- but it's not like socks, either, and you have to do more than mention, "When mom cut off dad's ear last year, over that woman he was seeing down at the Mini Mart..."

Now you've gone and given away my storyline.

captain_ryan
10-23-2012, 11:30 PM
That's one comfortable-looking chihuahua.

Haggis
10-23-2012, 11:43 PM
That's one comfortable-looking chihuahua.
Well, sure, until she gave away my whole plot and everything.

quicklime
10-24-2012, 12:30 AM
entered!!!!!

mirandashell
10-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Me too!

Manuel Royal
10-24-2012, 04:01 AM
Not entered! Not even a first draft yet!

Why do I do this? Even when I was (briefly) getting paid for a fiction column, I used to put it off until the day of deadline, then sit down in something like a fever and crank out three thousand words in two hours. Never missed a deadline, but, my God, it's an idiotic way to work.

Calliopenjo
10-24-2012, 04:08 AM
It's in and I hope it gets read. Good luck everyone.

captain_ryan
10-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Well, sure, until she gave away my whole plot and everything.

The minimart with a sliced ear or the socks?

kkbe
10-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Entered!!! Holy crap!!! :D

Looking forward to reading good stuff. Good luck, everybody.

- kkbe

night-flyer
10-25-2012, 07:04 AM
I was knocked offline for a bit, thought I wasn't going to make it back in time to enter and I've been working really hard on this story. But I made it back and will be submitting mine soon. :) :hooray:

Bufty
10-25-2012, 07:18 PM
My entry reads fine in Word on my computer but when I copy and paste into a New Thread to see how it might come out when submitted, the line spacings (and any italics) all disappear so there is no spacing between the lines of dialogue or paragraphs and I hate reading that. This post, for instance, would appear as a single block with no spacings between the three paragraphs.

I'm not a techy. Any time I've posted in say, Share-Your-Work I always check it out to make sure line spacings all appear as I want, but I can't do that in this case, and apparently entries will be posted 'as received'.

Am I worrying unnecessarily, or is there something I can do that I'm not doing?

MacAllister
10-25-2012, 10:00 PM
My entry reads fine in Word on my computer but when I copy and paste into a New Thread to see how it might come out when submitted, the line spacings (and any italics) all disappear so there is no spacing between the lines of dialogue or paragraphs and I hate reading that. This post, for instance, would appear as a single block with no spacings between the three paragraphs.

I'm not a techy. Any time I've posted in say, Share-Your-Work I always check it out to make sure line spacings all appear as I want, but I can't do that in this case, and apparently entries will be posted 'as received'.

No worries - I'll fix any formatting issues line and such. "Posted as received" just means I'm not going to fix grammar and spelling and so on. :)

Bufty
10-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Gotcha. Thank you. :snoopy:

archerjoe
10-26-2012, 05:02 AM
Nearly done - after a couple of bad starts, I found something that works.

Manuel Royal
10-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Busy tonight; going out of town tomorrow; coming back Sunday. So I'll have three nights to try and get the story done; a month after having the idea for it. I'm an idiot.

night-flyer
10-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Best of luck, Manuel! Hopefully you'll have plenty of time to write when you return. One can get a lot done in three days. :)

No worries - I'll fix any formatting issues line and such. "Posted as received" just means I'm not going to fix grammar and spelling and so on. :)

I was worried about that, too. Glad you asked that, Bufty :) and thanks Mac for clearing that up. That sure seems like a lot of work put on your shoulders, though. Thank you.

Manuel Royal
10-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Best of luck, Manuel! Hopefully you'll have plenty of time to write when you return. One can get a lot done in three days. :)

Thanks, Night-flyer. You're right; just need to man up and do it. (It's that damn job. Paychecks are nice and all, but it's ridiculous how much time out of the day a job takes.)

Mac -- I'll send an .rtf with no fancy formatting. Was deciding between italics and caps for one of the voices; think I'll go with brackets.

night-flyer
10-27-2012, 06:20 AM
I hear you, Manuel. My job sucks the life right out of me and leaves little time for writing. :/

Oh crap! I can't remember...are italics stripped in SYW? Maybe I should just underline them...

Bufty
10-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Italics are not stripped in SYW but even if they were it's easy enough to add them.

But re the comp, if you underline, I undersdtand that's exactly what will be posted and not italics. Take your pick.:)

Good luck.

I hear you, Manuel. My job sucks the life right out of me and leaves little time for writing. :/

Oh crap! I can't remember...are italics stripped in SYW?Maybe I should just underline them...

night-flyer
10-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Thank you, Bufty, much appreciated. :) And good luck to you, as well. I think there's going to be some awesome stories that come out of this. Maybe not mine, but I'm looking forward to reading yours and the others.

VeronicaX
10-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Just saw this...

I have a story that fits the description for this contest, would be cool to join just for fun, but here's the thing: I plan on publishing it this December in my Kindle short story mini collection. So... am I disqualified? :tongue

victoriakmartin
10-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Of course it is the last day and I am still working on my second (first typed) draft, bah! I actually am taking a sick day from school today so I should be able to get it finished. It's been a tricky one to nail the voice down and keep the dialogue percentage up but I'm decently happy with it at the moment, hopefully I'll be even happier once I get it polished :)

Manuel Royal
11-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Okay; submission sent.

Funny thing; the new story I was working on, I decided didn't quite fit -- not enough conflict. It didn't come naturally, and I didn't want to force it. Still a potentially good story, and I'll use it elsewhere.

So I tweaked a different (unpublished) story.

Looking forward to reading all the entries!

MacAllister
11-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Just saw this...

I have a story that fits the description for this contest, would be cool to join just for fun, but here's the thing: I plan on publishing it this December in my Kindle short story mini collection. So... am I disqualified? :tongue
Nope - send it!

Psychomacologist
11-01-2012, 05:05 AM
Finally got mine done and sent :)

VeronicaX
11-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Nope - send it!

Sent!

Not quite sure if it fits as well to the description as I first thought it did, but oh well.

victoriakmartin
11-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Submission sent!

MacAllister
11-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Well done, everyone - we had a couple of folks who needed to reformat, and I've heard back from them, so tomorrow we'll post the stories in their own subforum for voting.

Thanks so much, all of you!

night-flyer
11-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks Mac!

:hooray: and :scared:

I sent mine in late at night (4 a.m) and sent the wrong one, and then sent the right one. I hope you got it. I suck when I'm tired. :/

KitCat
11-02-2012, 09:47 AM
That's okay, night, you and me both. I had some weird spacing/header issues that I royally screwed up on mine so I had to resend too *hides*

VeronicaX
11-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Well done, everyone - we had a couple of folks who needed to reformat, and I've heard back from them, so tomorrow we'll post the stories in their own subforum for voting.

Thanks so much, all of you!

Excellent!

MacAllister
11-05-2012, 07:49 AM
These are some terrific stories, folks. Y'all should be pleased and proud.

Manuel Royal
11-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I figured the competition would be stiff, and was right. Remarkable variety (in the stories up so far) of genre, style, and tone.

(Did we really skip #13, like floors in a hotel?)

mirandashell
11-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I've got it narrowed down to three, so far. But you're right. Considering how tight the rules are, there is a lot of variety in the story telling.

VeronicaX
11-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm also very impressed by the variety in the stories. Well done, everyone :)

Manuel Royal
11-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Once all the stories are up, and voting is open, it's going to be hard to rank stories, given the different genres and styles involved. I try to look at a story (or poem; there's at least one of those) in terms of how well it does what it's trying to do (assuming I can figure that out).

Maybe I should spend more time in the SYW section. Honest feedback is one of the best things we can do for each other as writers; ain't easy, though.

MacAllister
11-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Okay, folks - the 19 20 stories that made it through for the vote are posted (there were some disqualifications for not meeting the criteria) -- so listen up:

IF YOU SENT ME A STORY THAT IS NOT POSTED, and you DIDN'T get an email from me telling you how and where the story missed, PM OR EMAIL ME ASAP.

:) We'll open voting tomorrow, and I'll post instructions with a board-wide announcement, then.

night-flyer
11-06-2012, 09:50 AM
I just finished reading them. Wow! Some great stories in there. Congrats to all and good luck. I really enjoyed reading them all.

VeronicaX
11-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Almost read all of them now. Well done, everyone!

Best of luck! :)

MacAllister
11-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Okay, we had one more story that went missing in email ether -- it's posted now, too.

Manuel Royal
11-07-2012, 04:38 PM
I'll have to reread a couple of those stories before voting.

(Still a little giddy with lack of sleep after national Election Night. Guess our AW competition votes aren't as earth-shaking, but they'll be more fun to cast.)

archerjoe
11-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Great stories, everyone! It was difficult to pick the top three to vote for.

Calliopenjo
11-13-2012, 02:31 AM
I voted as I hope others did as well. Good luck everyone. Most popular or not, everybody won who entered.

:hooray:

captain_ryan
11-14-2012, 12:21 AM
I voted as I hope others did as well. Good luck everyone. Most popular or not, everybody won who entered.

:hooray:

Well said.

mirandashell
11-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Can I ask how many people have voted? Or should I mind my own business?

captain_ryan
11-14-2012, 12:59 AM
I just voted, and it was not an easy pick. There were some REALLY good pieces there.

lastlittlebird
11-14-2012, 02:55 AM
I've voted too. Tough choices (fun making the decision though :))

MacAllister
11-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Can I ask how many people have voted? Or should I mind my own business?

Just about 70, so far -- but the number of votes are still picking up daily, too.

mirandashell
11-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Oh cool. More than I was expecting.