What does your epublisher do for you?

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I've just been reading through the forum and come across endless repetitions of the same 'what does a publisher do that a self-publisher can't' question. I thought it might be useful to gather some actual reports of what different epublishing companies do offer their authors.

My experience is with Entangled Publishing, who do have some print lines, but most of their books, including mine, are digital only. Here's what they have done for me:

Editing: minimum three rounds with the editor, plus copy editing, plus proofreading, plus typesetting and digital formatting.

Cover art.

Promotion: They assign a publicist to work with each author. For each book they have set up a blog tour (of around 10 guest posts/interviews/giveaways). They also give advice on how to make the most of these opportunities. They have sent the book for review at various other relevant websites and I've usually had a dozen or so reviews posted as a result. They produce press kits for me to use and advice on contacting local media, and also send out press releases themselves. They have paid for advertising specific to my books on Goodreads and general advertising for the category lines in print media such as RT.

Film and foreign rights sales
: I haven't had any yet, but several other authors at Entangled have had film rights and foreign (translation) rights sold through the publisher.

I've had an extremely positive experience with them and the sales of my Entangled books have been dramatically higher than those of my self-published books. I would be very interested to hear about other epublishing companies and what they have done for their authors, good or bad.

christygis

Registered
Reaction score
I've mostly worked with Liquid Silver. With my last two books, I went through at least 3 rounds of editing with my content editor and then a couple rounds of final line edits. I feel quite confident that any problems in my manuscript were caught! We also get fantastic cover art. I'm a sucker for a good cover. As for promotion, we have the normal social media type things, but LSB is moving into marketing now and there are going to be many exciting changes coming soon.

The promo that Entangled offers sounds fantastic! I sent off a request for a full to the Covet line just this week and your post just makes me that much more anxious to work with them!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I was impressed by how just the name of Samhain Publishing brought some attention to my novel that I doubt I could have had just sticking it on Amazon out of the blue by myself. I had presales on my debut novel which I thought was surprising.

Last edited:

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Everything but write the book for me, to include submitting the release for reviews, cover art, content and line editing, etc.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Siren and they do the following:

Editing: Multiple rounds of copy, content, and proofing. They have given me some great comments that have really helped make my stories stronger.

Cover Art: I see a lot of writers who say they want to do self-publishing because they don't want to give up control over their cover at. The thing is, you don't really give up that control with a publisher. I provide Siren with a completed Cover Questionnaire that addresses what I like, what I don't, things I absolutely don't want on my cover, examples of people who might look similar to my MC, etc. If I don't like something, I have the ability to say so.

Promotion: Siren advertises in heavily-trafficked romance pubs (e-based and otherwise) and also highlights my new releases on their online store, BookStrand, which has a huge following. Siren has a very large and loyal fan base as well, and those people will look specifically for Siren releases on Amazon, B&N, etc.

I have nothing but great things to say about Siren and my sales have been great. I'm looking forward to a long and profitable career with them.

julirew

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julianarew.com
This is probably a little off-topic, but: Third Flatiron e-publishes SF anthologies. We do all the copy-editing, formatting, distribution, and promoting. An author could probably do this for himself. The main value I think I add is my (and my volunteer readers') experience and taste in selecting good stories and combining them into interesting reads.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Editing: Multiple rounds of copy, content, and proofing. They have given me some great comments that have really helped make my stories stronger.

Cover Art: I see a lot of writers who say they want to do self-publishing because they don't want to give up control over their cover at. The thing is, you don't really give up that control with a publisher. I provide Siren with a completed Cover Questionnaire that addresses what I like, what I don't, things I absolutely don't want on my cover, examples of people who might look similar to my MC, etc. If I don't like something, I have the ability to say so.

Promotion: Siren advertises in heavily-trafficked romance pubs (e-based and otherwise) and also highlights my new releases on their online store, BookStrand, which has a huge following. Siren has a very large and loyal fan base as well, and those people will look specifically for Siren releases on Amazon, B&N, etc.
-------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score

Yes my covers with both Freya's Bower and Samhain were my ideas which the artists from both publishers rendered beautifully.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Responding to my own thread to add that since I wrote the OP, Entangled have sold French language rights to one of my short stories and Greek language rights to my category romance. Both deals include advances and both will end up in print. Which is pretty awesome and something I would never, ever have achieved as a self-publisher.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Responding to my own thread to add that since I wrote the OP, Entangled have sold French language rights to one of my short stories and Greek language rights to my category romance. Both deals include advances and both will end up in print. Which is pretty awesome and something I would never, ever have achieved as a self-publisher.
Wow just saw that! Congrats!

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Mine did all of the above, but also got an ARC up on netgalley for bloggers and reviewers to get their hands on.