PDA

View Full Version : Quick Q: Can you see US bank balance on UK ATM screen?

Transatlantic
09-07-2012, 07:02 PM
My US character is in the UK. Can she check her US bank balance on a British ATM?

Ta in advance!

WildScribe
09-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Yes, you can.

Transatlantic
09-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Thank you!! :)

ULTRAGOTHA
09-07-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't remember if you can see it on the screen. But it's certainly on the receipt.

mayqueen
09-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't remember. I don't think so. When I got cash from the ATM, the receipt showed how much I had taken, but not my account balance. That I remember having to check online.

Forlorn Radiance
09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I just got back from an overseas deployment, my balances at atms were always translated over to the countries currency, but with that given, it wasn't hard to do a quick conversion. We always knew the conversion rates.

ULTRAGOTHA
09-08-2012, 01:27 AM
Well, it was certainly on my receipts. This would have been in Scotland in 2005 and 2009. I suspect local ATM programming plays a role.

Also, there was a balance inquiry on some if not all of the ATMs that I could have used. But in general it appeared on my receipt.

Transatlantic
09-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the additional details!

Thank goodness - would have created a small plotting issue for me if you couldn't. :)

ULTRAGOTHA
09-09-2012, 07:22 AM
I will note that when I really wanted to know exactly what was going on in my bank account, I paid for internet time at the hostel and looked it up on line. ;-)

shaldna
09-09-2012, 02:50 PM
I'd just say that not all banks are the same, and what you can and can't see or have access to depends on which bank owns and operates the ATM.

For instance, I can see my balance and even print a mini statement from my own banks machines. I can see my balance and print my balance on reciepts from several other machines. A couple will tell me - to the nearest 10 - how much money I can withdraw, but won't tell me the balance. Others just give me the option of lifting cash and don't tell me anything else.

So, basically what I'm saying is that some machines will tell you, some won't, and it all depends on the arrangements those banks have with your bank.