Experiences with Lulu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhmattern

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering using Lulu to self-publish a small spiral-bound planner-style book for independent musicians (will include music publicity advice, in addition to tour planners, budgets, show calendars, and possibly some sample contracts ... things like that). It's a small niche market, and one that I have a lot of connections in, since the majority of the work I do through my publicity firm and my webzine is with artists in this market. More than anything, I'm interested in doing this as a means of "testing myself" publicity-wise. I have some larger book projects I'm planning for next year for this same market, and I want to see how viable POD publishing will be, given my promotional outlets. I don't even intend to sell over Amazon.com, at least not in the beginning. I have a network of sites (some already running, and others to be launched in coming months) targeting this same market, and I intend to promote the planner heavily over the network, at shows I sponsor, and through contests on my own sites and other sites I've become affiliated with.

If you've used Lulu in the past, I'm interested to hear your feedback on them, specifically the quality of their products. I've read some threads here comparing them to other publishers, but mostly in regards to the cost of selling on Amazon, which I have no interest in. It's simply too small of a niche, and not a popularly searched topic of books. I think the direct route will work better for me publicity-wise. Any thoughts?

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Well, the obvious test of the quality is to just buy one on spec - bearing in mind that the actual type-setting and design is done by the creator, and focusing on the print quality and paper stock.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I've not bought the spiral bound, but the paperback is now very high quality. For what you want, Lulu is ideal.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
And just look at what a great job they did with our Stories of Strength book!
Emotesnoopy.gif

ljcblue

Registered
Reaction score
Great for a small niche project

I edited a poetry anthology that was produced thru Lulu. We have been extremely happy with the quality of the work. It is a bound volume. I also used Lulu to print out several copies of my novel for beta readers. It's spiral bound and quite solid. it also turned out to be cheaper than having the copies printed at staples, etc.

best,
lj

jhmattern

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. :) I know musicians who have used their CD service to keep selling old albums they no longer want to mass produce, but I didn't know anyone personally with printing experience through them. I'm grateful for the comments. :)

Jenn

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Everything I've herad about Lulu has been positive, except for one.

An editor of a collection of short stories was dismayed to find that Lulu published the wrong version of the collection (the one before the final edit). I guess it was his fault for not having checked a bit closer before they went to print.

jhmattern

Registered
Reaction score
Carmy said:
Everything I've herad about Lulu has been positive, except for one.

An editor of a collection of short stories was dismayed to find that Lulu published the wrong version of the collection (the one before the final edit). I guess it was his fault for not having checked a bit closer before they went to print.

That sounds a bit odd for Lulu, since they're POD. Even if they print the wrong version, it would have only been for the number ordered. And since they can't print anything you don't upload to them, why would someone upload an unfinished copy of anything? Not too bright on the author's fault I guess. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Vlad

Hi Jenn,
I have published several books with lulu and have always been satisfied. As other authors already said, quality of their books is very high Same as PA books. What I like the most is my ABSOLUTE control over publishing, including the cover. It is very easy to prepare book for publishing with lulu. TRUE, you won't get any free copies and you do pay for ISBN if you want it, so it is not exactly FREE publishing, but if you are willing to distribute the books yourself, lulu is the place to do it. Good luck.

Vlad
www.freewebs.com/chramosta

Vlad

...Not too bright on the author's fault I guess...

Jenn, you are absolutely right. The smart way to do it is make sure you have the right files uploaded and check everything in PDF format when you think you are done. After that...just order ONE copy...check everything again...make changes again if you wish, and you are done. BECAUSE, THERE ARE NO EDITORS...you are IT!

Vlad
www.freewebs.com/chramosta

Enigma101

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'ts not official yet but Lulu is stopping the super saver delivery, which causes a real nightmare for international authors like myself.
I was chatting with a member of lulu staff last night. Could become official in March or earlier.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had any problems with Lulu.com I think it's a good way to get your work recognized and is a much easier way to get your work published.... Of course there are pros and cons to everything--however, I like Lulu.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.