co-publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

aokva

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried co-publihsing a picture book? Or co-publishing in general?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean by co-publishing?

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Is that what some agents have been calling their publishing (non-agenting) endeavors, helping a client self-publish?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding of co-publishing is it is another name being used by vanity presses who want to avoid that name.

I queried a publisher whose site made no mention of author fees or co-publishing until they said they wanted to publish my novel. Then their line was they were into "co-publishing" and I would front $5000. Needless to say I passed on co-publishing.

aokva

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're right regdog. Thank you.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
I've worked for and with reputable publishers who did co-publishing/ book packaging ventures. So it's not a surefire truth that anyone who uses this business model is a sham publisher.

However, in all instances I was involved with, the co-published book was an extremely specialized non-fiction book, and often primarily intended for the clients of the co-publisher, who was usually a corporation who was publishing the book as part of a larger marketing effort rather than an individual.

I would be very wary of someone offering to co-publish fiction, especially if you didn't approach the publisher with the idea of "Hey, I've got $5,000 to spend and I think a book would be a great marketing tool for my goals."

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am not sure it is a case of a "model" so much as a "word" that is in the process of being hijacked to mean something else entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.