September Just Do It Thread

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
You've heard the Nike ads - Just Do It! We all know it's not that easy - or is it? I'm creating this thread for those of us who just need to finally accomplish our goals. *

Simple rules:
1. Write down your goal(s).
2. Just Do It!
3. Post your progress here - in little steps taken along the way or at the end when you've accomplished the whole darn thing.

Hints:

• Create goals that are measurable.
  • Be realistic but push the limits too...even if it's just a little.
  • Choose a mode that gets you excited - word count, page count, chapters written, draft finished...whatever.
  • Come here every day or two to check in and cheer others on.
Sorry this is starting on the 6th instead of the 1st. I intended to post this on the 1st but ended up getting sick. Geesh! Best laid plans, ya know?

Hope you'll join me! ~Karen

PS I'll be back to post my goal(s).

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
Loooove it.

*write 2 new chapters
*send out one fresh query for every rejection
*post on both blogs 2x a week

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

OK...even though your name has October in it, I'm gonna let you in the September club. LOL Thanks for joining in. My goals are related to my memoir. More in a sec. ~Karen

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
September Goals

I know my goals are over the top but I feel like I need to push myself. Here goes:

September Just Do It Goals:
1. 13,000 words by Sept. 16 (24,000 total)
2. 26,000 words by Sept. 23 (39,000 total)
3. 39,000 words by Sept. 30 (50,000 total)
4. Finish first draft of RUNNING IN CIRCLES by Sept 30

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
* Update my blog more regularly
* Pick up where I left off in my WIP
* Tweet more too

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, my goals by the end of the month:

1) Finish first draft of 4,000 word short story.
2) Start First Draft of 4,500 word short story.
3) Get to step 5 of Snowflake method for novel.

My meters are below to track progress.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! More joined. Very excited about that. May I just make a teensy suggestion? And remember, this is just an observation and suggestion. This board is for you, so make it yours!

Anyway, goals have the most power when they are measurable. What does that mean? Here are a few examples;

Not measurable:
Write more of my book, "How to Write a Book in Three Minutes."

Measurable:
Write 5,000 words of, "How to Write a Book in Three Minutes."
-or-
Write for 30 minutes, five days a week for the month of September.

The easiest way to know whether your goal is measurable is to ask yourself how you will know when you've accomplished the goal. If you say you're going to write "more", what does that mean? How will you know when you get there? It's like going on a trip without a plan and just saying you're going to drive south.

Creating measurable goals also has the added benefit of giving you a sense of accomplishment at the end of the month. You'll have something to check off and feel good about. That's my 2-cents.

As for me...I am behind. I got sick for more than a week and I tried to write but it just didn't happen much. So, I'm playing catch-up now. I'll post the specifics later.

Welcome to everyone who joined! How is it going so far? Do share! ~Karen

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to finish this first draft of my YA Thriller by the end of September. With kids now back in school, this is very achievable. If I can manage to not get "stuck". Such is the life of a pantser (sometimes) :D

I'm starting to get into some Word Wars with people which is very helpful as it forces me to write w/out any distractions. When I get frustrated, I will immediately hop on the net and browse around. But I did my first word war today and though I only got 417 words down in 30 min, I did it. Without interruption.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Melly - I know what you mean about word wars. They can be a really great technique for getting a lot of words written and turning off your internal editor! Have you ever done NaNoWriMo? ~Karen

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I completed my first horror short story draft and it did really well at my workshop meeting. I am in the process of revising that now. I am in college and cramped for time a lot, but I am hoping to get three more chapters done in a full-length paranormal thriller I am working on, as well.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Melly - I know what you mean about word wars. They can be a really great technique for getting a lot of words written and turning off your internal editor! Have you ever done NaNoWriMo? ~Karen

Nope, because turning my inner editor off is REALLY hard. I can do it for an hour here and there, but to do it for a whole month? I know myself, it's just not possible. The sucky thing about it is that it takes me longer to write my novels. The good thing? A LOT less editing/revising. I think if I worked off an outline it would be easier to do it, but I'm a pantser and if I don't really stop and think about what I'm doing, I could end with major plot holes that would take FOREVER to fix (if I could even fix them). My novels tend to be very interwoven with small things that lead to a final twist/climax. I just can't afford mentally to do that. I know it's great for some people and maybe one day I'll find the courage to try it, but right now it's just not realistic. It would be more stress and less fun and I don't think that's good for me. :)

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, its not for everyone. That's for sure. I've done it three times. I finished it twice. I'm contemplating doing it this year. I don't know if I will. I'm not writing novels right now, and have an editor waiting for two books, so my thought was to try to see if I can work out writing one of them during that month. It's a creative nonfiction book. I think it would be a lot harder doing that, so not sure if I'll venture into it this time. We will see.

As for this month's goals, I'm not meeting my goals yet, but pushing along more than I would if it weren't for this thread. So that's good. I was having a terrible time getting going on this. I am already thinking about October goals. ~Karen

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
haha! yep, thinking about Oct already :)

I'm doing pretty well actually (I know a comma goes there somewhere but they are my friggin nemsis) considering my time has been more limited than I had hoped. But I am also spending waaaaaaayyyyyy less time on the internet and I'm finding that it's helping me to stay focused. When I get to a part where I'm a little stuck or not sure which of several directions I should take the scene, it's so tempting to just jump on the net and see what's going on. So, that is another goal of mine as of now: limit my use of the internet and spend that time instead on writing (as I am here on AW right now LOL. Though, in all fairness it's 11:42pm for me so my brain is fried and writing wouldn't even be possible at this point ;))

Good luck if you do NaNo!

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
OK...so here's how I did on my goals. This month I wrote 8,098 words on my new memoir. I didn't accomplish my goal of finishing the book but I'm happy with having moved forward with it. I did get a lot of marketing done for my current book, but that wasn't one of my goals. I will continue in October. I'm highly motivated and have a lot to do. On to October thread! How did everyone else do?~Karen