Pitch contests with fulls out

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so it's worth a thread even if I don't make it past the first round, just in case other people are ever in the same dilemma. I entered a pitch contest with several agents I would love to pitch to. However, I have a few requests out there too.

Looking at the list of agents, I realize a couple of them are at the same agency as an agent with my full or partial or at an agency where I recently queried another agent. If an agent from an agency where I already have a full or partial out requests in the contest (therefore, making them the 2nd to request from that agency), what is the appropriate action? Likewise, if an agent requests from the contest, and while they're still looking, the agent I queried asks for something, what would be the correct action then (although outside the contest, where agents aren't using up limited slots of requests, I feel a little better mentioning that someone else at the agency "won" it in a contest)?

Worth knowing the etiquette even if I don't get to the agent round because these kind of contests are pretty common.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
If an agent in the contest requests and you've already approached someone at their agency, simply reply and thank them and inform them that X has the manuscript currently, but you would be happy to send should she decline.