Question about problems with selling SF and fantasy novels

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question, or if editor's question forum is better, but I've been told that SF and fantasy novels (particularly traditional high fantasy novels) are a very tough sell in today's market, and most agents (even ones who say they take fantasy) are reluctant to touch them.

To put it bluntly, other aspiring writers have told me "traditional fantasy is out of favor right now," and "no one is buying fantasy that isn't contemporary, a paranormal romance or involving vampires and werewolves."

One reason I've heard given for this is:

There are "only" six large press imprints that accept high fantasy these days (Tor, Daw, Orbit etc). I've been told that this means that even an excellent high fantasy or SF novel is a risk for an agent, because with only six potentially profitable markets, it is statistically quite probable that an agent won't find a buyer for said novel (because the timing is just wrong for all six while he's out pounding on doors and once an editor has said no to a particular novel, even regretfully, that no is forever).

This has me scratching my head, as each of these fantasy/SF imprints is a subsidiary of one of the so-called "big six" publishers. The term big six implies to me that there are only six large press publishers left, period.

So what I am getting at, is how is the situation different for SF and fantasy than it is for any other genre of fiction being published today (i.e. police thrillers, mysteries, romance, children's, chick lit etc)? Don't the so-called big six have just one imprint each for each of these and other genres as well? Wouldn't this issue of only having six potentially profitable markets be an issue for any novel before the agent has to start knocking on the doors of small presses (and seeing a lot less monetary return for his or her effort)?

Or do the other genres of fiction have multiple imprints from each of the so-called big six? If so, why don't they have multiple imprints for SF and fantasy as well, when they seem to be fairly popular as genres (with more fantasy titles, including some high fantasy wrist-sprainers) appearing on the bestseller racks in grocery stories alongside the bodice rippers and thrillers and so-called "mainstream" titles.

I accept that I'm going to have a really tough time selling a first novel, since I am pretty wedded to traditional fantasy as a genre, but I'd like to know why.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Who said that? Oh (reading closer), aspiring writers.

I am pretty sure some more experienced people will be along presently to help (as a nonwriter artist I probably know no more about it than your average aspiring writer), but in a world where George R. R. Martin was just up for a Hugo in two categories, I can't imagine that high fantasy is not being bought.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
All books are always a hard sell in whatever the current market happens to be. Find the right agent, who can find the right editor, and it won't matter.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've heard exactly the opposite, from some editors and agents I trust.

High fantasy and epic fantasy actually seem to be gaining traction lately. I don't know why. It could be from media exposure to the genre, from Hollywood movies, Comic-Con, and popular book tie-ins. I've had a couple of agents say they're pulling back on urban fantasy and dystopian fiction (both YA and adult) because those markets are so saturated.

Del Rey is still selling 'Game of Thrones' books like crazy, so they're looking for new authors to add to their epic fantasy market. Tor did so well with Jordan and Sanderson that they're now publishing serial-numbers-barely-filed-off clones like Orullian's books.

In the end, what the market does in any given quarter shouldn't matter to you. Write the best story you can, in whatever genre you love, and then try to find its market. You can write to narrow niches within genres, but you'd best be able to write quickly and well - or be lucky enough to have something already completed in that genre's current wish-list.

Just remember this: You cannot sell what you didn't write. Always submit your most polished work. Having a few really good mms set aside, ready to go if you hear about market changes, is another form of business insurance.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
To put it bluntly, other aspiring writers have told me "traditional fantasy is out of favor right now," and "no one is buying fantasy that isn't contemporary, a paranormal romance or involving vampires and werewolves."

To put bluntly, I think they're wrong. Earlier this year Angry Robot had an open door call for classic fantasy. A few months ago Pub Rants was also looking for Epic Fantasy (also from that link, urban fantasy is on the way out). If anything I think traditional/classic/epic fantasy is on the up swing.

That said, I agree with my fellow writers above that any novel is a hard sell. Just write the best book you can.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score

I keep hearing the exact opposite. In fact, my problem right now IS the vampire and werewolf thing. I'm having a hard time finding someone not afraid to touch that.

I think you're fine. Like someone else pointed out, the success of Game of Thrones and the like have thrown the doors to high concept & traditional wide open. (A door that was never closed to begin with.)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
The market for urban fantasy / paranormal is saturated, especially for books with vampires and werewolves. Now is a really bad time for querying an urban fantasy. Epic fantasy is likely a safer bet, as there's always some market for it.

Readers tend not to realise this, as they see lots of urban fantasy books on the shelves. But most of those doing well are from established writers, with a fair few newer writers getting their contracts cancelled for poor sales. And those writers queried agents and sold to the publishers a few years back.

All of which doesn't change anything really, as you've written what you've written. Even in a sub-genre where it'll be a struggle, there's nothing lost in querying.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've heard exactly the opposite, from some editors and agents I trust.

In the end, what the market does in any given quarter shouldn't matter to you. Write the best story you can, in whatever genre you love, and then try to find its market.

I certainly agree with you there. And it does seem silly to try to write a novel "for" a particular market that seems to be hot at the moment but could cool off within the next year or so. I'm expecting a lot of Hunger Games clones that deal with some sort of "extreme and deadly" sport/competition to appear soon, shoving aside the army of Twilight inspired vampire and werewolf novels (and no, I'm not knocking vampires and werewolves. They've been interesting tropes for a very long time and hope they will continue to be).

It takes a while to write and polish a novel (especially when one has a day job, as nearly all unpublished and most published novelists must). And it takes more time to get a query package together and for an interested agent to get it out to the editors and any interested editor to get it ready to go to press.

And markets aside, I know if I wrote something that wasn't the kind of story I like to read, it would be ... flat, even if it was technically well written.

But the comment about high fantasy being an especially tough sell came from an agent I've met and from two friends who have had more luck querying in other subgenres in fantasy.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps the agent just does not represent the High or Epic Fantasies genres. It may be a personal dislike issue, or he/she does not have the right contacts and so they are a tough sell for that agent.

As to the friends, well they write what they like, or are good at, or more importantly, what they know. This does not mean we should all write in those genre's.

Write what you like. Don't worry about the market. If the book is good and the writing is strong, it will find a home...

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
with a fair few newer writers getting their contracts cancelled for poor sales

Are you getting this information from some source you can tell us about? I've been told that poor sales can result in a publisher not picking up an author's next book, but jeez, cancelling a contract? Not that I don't believe you, but I'd never heard of it. I'm tempted to try to find said cancelled writers and support them somehow if they decide to go with smaller pubs or self-publish. :)

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
I was at a little writers' conference that had two editors from small but noted SF/Fantasy houses - basically the two biggest not-big-6 names I know of. They both said that while they love a good epic fantasy, they publish a lot fewer of them proportionally than SF. That it has to be something really special to grab them. I don't really think it's the market, just the fact that a lot of epic fantasy is, well, nothing special.

There's still room for awesome noobs. I hope! We just have to write a hundred times better than everyone else out there trying to get published and we're good!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Are you getting this information from some source you can tell us about? I've been told that poor sales can result in a publisher not picking up an author's next book, but jeez, cancelling a contract? Not that I don't believe you, but I'd never heard of it. I'm tempted to try to find said cancelled writers and support them somehow if they decide to go with smaller pubs or self-publish. :)

Bad wording on my part. I mean that series which were unfinished won't be finished, because the sales weren't good enough for the publisher to want more books. How it went down in legal contract terms, I don't know.

We have a couple of urban fantasy writers on the forum who are in that position. The idea that if you write urban fantasy, sales are guaranteed and rainbows and kittens... it isn't like that.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
KateJJ,

I sort of agree with the two editors. A lot of writers do not really understand the difference between Epic, High and Adventure fantasy, as well as a few other types.

I heard an editor once say she can not explain HF in hard terms, but she knows it when she sees it. She said it has a lot to do with the language used to tell the story, as well as the overall premise of the story. (Purple prose does not make a novel HF...just FYI)

I think we have seen a bit of that misunderstanding here in query letter hell. A member will post and note this is High Fantasy in their query. When I read the query and do not see the trappings of HF, as I understand it, I will often ask the poster what makes this story HF. Most of the time, I get answers that do not fit the definition of HF. Now imagine an agent or editor looking for HF and the query says its HF, but it is not...

I loves me a good HF novel, one I can take my time to read and savor the language. I also loves me a good Epic Fantasy where I am immersed in the world and characters. But I also loves me a good adventure Fantasy that keeps me turning pages. They all fill needs and they are all still being published.

I also loves me some really good Historical Fantasy, like those tales from Bernard Cornwell...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Bad wording on my part. I mean that series which were unfinished won't be finished, because the sales weren't good enough for the publisher to want more books. How it went down in legal contract terms, I don't know.

Authors will rarely be contracted for a six-book series: two or three is more common, even if more than three books are planned.

If sales of the first books aren't good enough then a publisher won't sign the author up for any more. But they rarely cancel ongoing contracts because of poor sales of existing books.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
The market for urban fantasy / paranormal is saturated
[...] with a fair few newer writers getting their contracts cancelled for poor sales.
Omg, that bad.
I feel better about my own urban fantasy novel now, in a perverse way. It had a few full requests but at the end--no takers. I'll now put the blame on the market situation entirely. xd

Ton Lew Lepsnaci

A WIP
Registered
Reaction score
KateJJ,

A lot of writers do not really understand the difference between Epic, High and Adventure fantasy, as well as a few other types.

I also loves me some really good Historical Fantasy, like those tales from Bernard Cornwell...

If the difference is not easy to define, could you give three typical example works of each genre? I'd like to get a better feel for the difference. Pointers to good links focusing on difference would be helpful too. It seems the boundaries could easily be blurred. I'm one writer who'd be happy to be educated on the matter :)

Ton Lew Lepsnaci

A WIP
Registered
Reaction score
It would be useful to have a sticky that attempted to define the sub-genres epic, high, adventure and historical fantasy (other genres welcome too of course).

I found a few definitions online but I'm far from an expert and would appreciate it if someone who actually wrote in the various genres/studied them could spell it out...

On second thought, I'll post it as a separate thread in SF/Fantasy as this is getting off topic...

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
KateJJ,

I
I think we have seen a bit of that misunderstanding here in query letter hell. A member will post and note this is High Fantasy in their query. When I read the query and do not see the trappings of HF, as I understand it, I will often ask the poster what makes this story HF. Most of the time, I get answers that do not fit the definition of HF. Now imagine an agent or editor looking for HF and the query says its HF, but it is not...

You're probably thinking of me here, as you made that comment in my query thread. Of course, I didn't include a lot of world building details into my query because, well, that's not what you're supposed to put into a query.

This is the Wikipedia nutshell definition of HF, and this is (in part) what I am basing my assessment of my own work on.

"High fantasy is defined as fantasy fiction set in an alternative, entirely fictional ("secondary") world, rather than the real, or "primary" world. The secondary world is usually internally consistent but its rules differ in some way(s) from those of the primary world. By contrast, low fantasy is characterized by being set in the primary, or "real" world, or a rational and familiar fictional world, with the inclusion of magical elements.[2][3][4][5]

Nikki Gamble distinguishes three subtypes of high fantasy:[4]

They go on to discuss some of the different sybtypes and stories and characters who have traditionally appeared in HF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy

Now Wikipedia is not always right, and definitions of things can also be fuzzy too, but I think my own world fits pretty firmly into the first of the three subcategories.

Some of my favorite modern fantasy writers are Lynn Flewelling, Robin Hobb, Patrick Rothfuss, Glenda Larke, George RR Martin, Mercedes Lackey, Brandon Sanderson, Brent Weeks and so on, and they have definitely influenced my worldbuilding and voice to varying degrees. I consider these writers to be high fantasy as they all fall well into the auspices listed above.

I had not heard that high fantasy "had" to have a particular type of language or voice, though it often has in the past (but stories with that old-fashioned or archaic style language seem to be getting rarer--even Martin has a pretty modern feel to his dialog for all that he sprinkles some older words in here and there).

I am certainly prepared to believe that agents and editors have a different definition from what I posted from Wikepedia above. But This may be the source of the misunderstanding. I have yet to see an agent define exactly what they mean by HF when they say the accept it as a genre. I thought it was a pretty broad category, but I guess you are saying I am wrong there.

So if these writers (and my own work) are not high fantasy, which subcategory of fantasy are they? They're not low fantasy, certainly, as they are not set on the normal Earth or worlds with rules just like the normal Earth. Some may qualify as S&S (if S&S is not simply a subgenre of high fantasy), but not all (my understanding is that S&S characters tend to be professional mercenaries, rogues and adventurers and the stakes in their stories are often more localized or personal than with traditional HF).

And if you are using a different definition of high fantasy that what is presented on the Wikipedia site, please point me towards it, so I can discover what my "set in a very magical world that is not Earth and has no real connection to Earth and has a reluctant protagonist who is caught up in something potentially world changing and definitely larger than himself hero's journey tale" actually is for querying purposes.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It would be useful to have a sticky that attempted to define the sub-genres epic, high, adventure and historical fantasy (other genres welcome too of course).

I've never heard the term "adventure fantasy" before as a specific subgenre. I'd love to see a definition of it, as maybe that's what my story (and most of my favorite writers) really are if the Wikipedia definition of HF is wrong as far as editors and agents are concerned.

Adventure fantasy seems redundant and imprecise as a term, though, as I can't think of very many fantasy stories that don't involve some element of adventure.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I seem to recall my friend who was an editor at a very well-respected NY SFF publisher telling me that it's okay to query without a bunch of adjectives describing your genre. You can just say it's a fantasy. In fact, she would laugh at the ones that had several sub-genres listed. This has been a few years ago and perhaps things have changed. If you know it's high fantasy and the definition for you is clear, then call it that, but not something like 'adventure fantasy with romantic elements and a touch of mystery'.

I have never bothered to learn other people's definitions of various sub-genres, because the definitions vary from person to person quite a bit. I've always wanted to hear what about a particular work should make me want to read it. As a reader, I'm able to catch the subtle cues in a query/book cover description that trip my reader expectations for a particular genre and decide for myself if it's something I'd like to pick up.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci

A WIP
Registered
Reaction score
The term adventure fantasy came up when another user suggested it. It could well be that it is not standard (or even that it does not make sense). I like the idea of simply submitting under fantasy, especially when the sub-genres seem rather ill defined.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Would "adventure fantasy" be another name for "sword and sorcery"?

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Adventure fantasy is fantasy where the adventure is the primary focus. This may or may not include Sword and Sorcery.

Sword and Sorcery, like its name implies, is a fantasy that involves sword and sorcery, but might not involve an adventure.

As to High Fantasy, yes, HF usually takes place in an entirely alternate/fictional world, but then, so does 90% of fantasy novels. The wiki definition is too simple. There are too many other things that set HF apart.

As I said before, the language the author deliberately uses is PART of what sets HF apart. It does not have to be archaic or over the top. Its more the way the author structures the language into the story to add to the sense of wonder, the sense of adventure, the sense of another time and place. Often times the language structure is a bit more complex than what I call, Easy Reading.

Of course, HF and Epic are often joined together because many HF are also Epic in nature. But that does not make all EF also HF.

With queries, it's very hard to show a story is High Fantasy because queries are generally written in a different style. This is generally why I advise writers to avoid querying as such. Let the publisher classify, as they are going to anyway.

Like I said before, HF is very hard to define. For me, its about the way the author uses language to pull me out of the real world and drop me into their world. There is a reason LOTR is considered a shinning example of HF. This reason is also part of what turns some readers off. Today, we have other writers who use less archaic terms and language, but the way they structure the language they do use is still part of what defines HF.

Or so is my opinion.

Think on it...