PDA

View Full Version : The NFL 2012 Season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Maze Runner
09-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Who else looks forward to the start of the NFL season every year? Got a specific team that you follow? Which one? Might be fun to have a thread to go to every week to bitch or celebrate, depending on the prior week's performance.

I'm a lifelong Steeler fan. Don't hold it against me, I grew up there. I've been in LA for quite a few years, but you know, a city of 10 million people can't be expected to support a pro football team. Not really. The biggest problem out here is where to put the new stadium they've been talking about forever.

Anybody else excited for the new season? Pro football is the only sport that I will still watch dependably. Not that I catch all the aired games , but I'll typically catch two or three a week. Used to be a big boxing fan, but politics, read that as business, has decimated the sport and broken my love for the game.

Lavern08
09-06-2012, 10:51 PM
For me, (yep, I'm a girly-girl who loves watching the NFL) it doesn't get any better than the fact that this year, my beloved Redskins play the Cowboys on Thanksgiving. :snoopy:

I told Mr. Hunny that I'm making him an extra special dessert to snack on while we watch the game.

He loves peanut butter cups, and I just found an awesome recipe for a devil's food cake with chocolate and peanut butter frosting.

So yeah, I'm pumped that the NFL season is upon us.

Go SKINS!!!! :partyguy:

Maze Runner
09-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Hi Lavern, yeah, I'm really looking forward to the season. Won't get anything as cool as homemade peanut butter cups, though. I only caught one Steeler preseason game, but I gotta say they look good. Keep us posted as to how your Redskins do. Are you in that area? Do you live out of the area and get NFL Ticket? I've been thinking about getting it this year, because as it is, I only get about a half a dozen Steeler games. Even though LA doesn't have a team, if the Chargers or the Raiders or the 49ers are on, they will usually get the nod.

Lavern08
09-06-2012, 11:43 PM
...Won't get anything as cool as homemade peanut butter cups, though.

See? you should have married an old-fashioned, southern girl. :tongue

Do you live out of the area and get NFL Ticket?

We're in Virginia, so we get to catch all of the Skins games. ;)

Maze Runner
09-06-2012, 11:47 PM
See? you should have married an old-fashioned, southern girl. :tongue

We're in Virginia, so we get to catch all of the Skins games. ;)

I'm gonna send this link to my wife, Lavern. I think she'll agree with you. I lived in Baltimore for a year when I was a kid, but I wasn't really looking for marriage material.

L. Y.
09-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Nice thread.

:fistpump Go Bears! :fistpump

(lifelong Chicago Bears fan :D)

Maze Runner
09-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Nice thread.

So, when you get a chance, fill us in on, remind us of the Jay Cutler situation. I'm always a little foggy for the first few weeks of the season, but Chicago fans had a problem with his seemingly blase attitude, am I right? Then i seem to remember him coming out and having a few great games. To me, he just tries to keep it cool so he doesn't get spun out. I think he's a good QB. What do you think of him?

mirandashell
09-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Nice thread.

So am I!

DA BEARS!

As for Cutler.... meh. He can play really well but he can also play like a total donkey. I mean, 9 sacks in one game? Argghh! Throw the damn ball!

He was playing pretty well last year at the start of the season until he got injured.

Lavern08
09-07-2012, 07:40 PM
DA BEARS!

LOL - I always say that whenever a commentator mentions the Bears on TV...

...It drives Mr. Hunny cah-razy, but I do it anyway. :poke:

Maze Runner
09-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Steelers open with Denver, in Denver, against the comeback of one of the greatest QB's ever to play the game, Peyton Manning- on the 75th birthday of Steeler Defensive Coordinator, Dick LeBeau.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/07/steelers-dick-lebeau/index.html

L. Y.
09-08-2012, 01:39 AM
I'll give the Steelers props. I think they're in the running for the AFC title.

So, when you get a chance, fill us in on, remind us of the Jay Cutler situation.

Personally, I think he gets a bad rap from reports such as this one (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/20/fox-sports-admits-they-fabricated-newspaper-headlines/). I also think long-time Bears fans tend to (unfairly) compare him to the fiesty Jim McMahon. IMHO, Cutler is a top-15 QB, maybe even top-10.

He played behind one of the lowest-ranked offensive lines in the NFL. Mike Martz's offensive scheme wasn't helping Cutler, with a lot of 7-step-dropbacks and lack of help from other personnel to help with pass protection.

I'm hoping that new OC Mike Tice's simplified offense will help Cutler, since Tice will focus more on quicker passes and having a tight end or fullback help out with those pesky pass-rushers (especially since the Bears did very little to improve their personnel on the O-line this offseason :().

I also feel that Cutler will improve now that he has a legitimate #1 receiver in Brandon Marshall, promising rookie Alshton Jeffery, and veteran receiver Earl Bennett. Having Matt Forte back doesn't hurt, too. :D

So am I!

DA BEARS!

:yessmiley Another Bears fan! High-five! :D

mirandashell
09-08-2012, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't go quite that far with Cutler. I certainly don't think he's top 10. But yeah, I agree with you about the O-line. It was not good. Hopefully the new coach will sort out the protection.

By the way, and this won't mean anything to you lot but it makes me go squeee!, the BBC are showing Monday Night Football! For the first time ever!

<jumps up and down in excitement>

Maze Runner
09-08-2012, 08:22 PM
I'll give the Steelers props. I think they're in the running for the AFC title.

Personally, I think he gets a bad rap from reports such as this one (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/20/fox-sports-admits-they-fabricated-newspaper-headlines/). I also think long-time Bears fans tend to (unfairly) compare him to the fiesty Jim McMahon. IMHO, Cutler is a top-15 QB, maybe even top-10.

He played behind one of the lowest-ranked offensive lines in the NFL. Mike Martz's offensive scheme wasn't helping Cutler, with a lot of 7-step-dropbacks and lack of help from other personnel to help with pass protection.

I'm hoping that new OC Mike Tice's simplified offense will help Cutler, since Tice will focus more on quicker passes and having a tight end or fullback help out with those pesky pass-rushers (especially since the Bears did very little to improve their personnel on the O-line this offseason :().

I also feel that Cutler will improve now that he has a legitimate #1 receiver in Brandon Marshall, promising rookie Alshton Jeffery, and veteran receiver Earl Bennett. Having Matt Forte back doesn't hurt, too. :D

:yessmiley Another Bears fan! High-five! :D

It's funny how a town is with some QBs. The only thing that will bring 'em around is big wins. Big Ben, with all the "scrapes" he's gotten into, if he hadn't won two Super Bowls I think they would have run him out of town. And Terry Bradshaw, after he'd retired he refused to go back to Pittsburgh for years. He talks about how bad it was for him in the early days, before he'd started to win the big games, and the press and the fans were united in their disdain (disgust) for him. It was on an off day, after a particularly bad week, after he'd been booed off the field once again and Terry had to get out. He got in his car and just drove, and he'd been driving for a long time. It was a beautiful, clear sunny day and he was quite a few miles out of town. The quiet was beginning to have its therapeutic effect when he stops at a rural traffic light. The birds are singing, the air is sweet, and the driver stopped along his side reaches over, rolls down his window, and, "BOOOOO!"

bmadsen
09-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Broncos fan, but slightly skeptical about Manning. I'm not sure if he can stay healthy throughout the season. hoping for the best though.

Shadow Dragon
09-08-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm a long time ravens fan and I'm really looking forward to their first game. I think this will be a breakout season for their receiver, Torry Smith. He nearly got a thousand yards in his rookie season and that was without being in the first handful of games. Also, with it being so close to Art Modell's death, I really wouldn't want to be in the Bengal's shoes this Monday.

Maze Runner
09-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Broncos fan, but slightly skeptical about Manning. I'm not sure if he can stay healthy throughout the season. hoping for the best though.

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/2/8/2786079/some-clarity-on-peytons-injury

Informative, optimistic article on Peyton's condition. I'm hoping for the best as well.

Maze Runner
09-08-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm a long time ravens fan and I'm really looking forward to their first game. I think this will be a breakout season for their receiver, Torry Smith. He nearly got a thousand yards in his rookie season and that was without being in the first handful of games. Also, with it being so close to Art Modell's death, I really wouldn't want to be in the Bengal's shoes this Monday.

The Ravens/Steelers wars are always highlights of the season. May I wish you a good season, but not too good?

bmadsen
09-09-2012, 02:02 AM
The Ravens/Steelers wars are always highlights of the season. May I wish you a good season, but not too good?

Touché

thothguard51
09-09-2012, 02:10 AM
I root for two teams,

The Washington Redskins and who ever is playing the Dallas Cowboys.

The Giants really pissed me off the other night with their lack of defense and offense. They gave one to Dallas.

Jersey Chick
09-09-2012, 02:46 AM
NY GIANTS!!!!

I hate the Cowboys so much I can't even begin to tell you how effing pissed off I am at my Giants for giving that game away. The only thing that might have made Wednesday night worse would have been if they lost to the Eagles.

thothguard51
09-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Hail to the Redskins,
Hail to Victory,
Braves on the Warpath,
Fight for ol' D C...

Maze Runner
09-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Getting ready to watch the Skins at the Saints. The Saints have a lot to prove, and Drew Brees is one tough competitor. But the Skins have a new QB that should make alotta noise, Robert Griffin III. And we all remember how tough Robert Junior and Senior were. Good luck, Nick and Lavern.

mirandashell
09-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Oh my lord. I thought I was going to need a :e2paperba but they've got their heads together.

DA BEARS!

mirandashell
09-10-2012, 12:53 AM
DA BEARS!

My boys!

Yes, I know, getting carried away. It's only the first game of the season. But still....

DA BEARS!

And by the way, a message to Mr Luck.

Welcome to the NFL.

:e2cheer::e2cheer:

Maze Runner
09-10-2012, 12:58 AM
DA BEARS!

My boys!

Yes, I know, getting carried away. It's only the first game of the season. But still....

DA BEARS!

And by the way, a message to Mr Luck.

Welcome to the NFL.

How'd our boy, Jay do?

Maze Runner
09-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Hail to the Redskins,
Hail to Victory,
Braves on the Warpath,
Fight for ol' D C...

You have a helluva QB in Griffin. Heisman winner, so maybe no big surprise to you. I like the way he handles the ball behind the line of scrimmage and follows through on his fakes. Gets the defense leaning the wrong way for just a second or two but that can make the difference. Great arm, can run, should make for a very interesting Redskin season. Also, your defense kept Brees on defense all day. Skins look good! Great game to kick off my armchair NFL season. Congrats!

thothguard51
09-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Redskins 40, Saints 32.

Looked scary for the Redskins at times once the Saints found their rhythm, but the Skins defense held and the offense put points on the board in each quarter. As a matter of fact, they put 10 points per quarter, which happens to be RG3's number...10

Looks like the Super Bowl Champs, the NY Giants, are now at the bottom of the NFC east because the Eagles won 17-16. I hate the eagles as much as I do the Cowboys.

I think the NFC east is going to be a tight battle all year...

mirandashell
09-10-2012, 01:17 AM
How'd our boy, Jay do?

Now he's got a decent O line in front of him, he did pretty well! Horrible pick in the first few minutes for the first Colt's TD, but after that did very little wrong.

And we have two wide recievers! We actually have two blokes that can catch a ball thrown a long distance! Finally!

We've always had a defence but this year we might actually have an offence! So... who knows!

I'm getting over-excited. Far too many exclamation marks in the above. Sorry.

Maze Runner
09-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Now he's got a decent O line in front of him, he did pretty well! Horrible pick in the first few minutes for the first Colt's TD, but after that did very little wrong.

And we have two wide recievers! We actually have two blokes that can catch a ball thrown a long distance! Finally!

We've always had a defence but this year we might actually have an offence! So... who knows!

I'm getting over-excited. Far too many exclamation marks in the above. Sorry.

No, I understand, it's ok. But why does an English girl have such an attachment to an American football team? Just curious.

mirandashell
09-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Like a lot of Brits, I fell in love with the Bears back in 1985. One the TV channels over here showed the whole season from start to Bowl. And it was really popular. We even had our own leagues. And the Bears were adopted as our team, sort of.

It died off for a while but lots of us of a certain age have an abiding love for Chicago.

Maze Runner
09-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Like a lot of Brits, I fell in love with the Bears back in 1985. One the TV channels over here showed the whole season from start to Bowl. And it was really popular. We even had our own leagues. And the Bears were adopted as our team, sort of.

It died off for a while but lots of us of a certain age have an abiding love for Chicago.

Very interesting, I didn't know that. I have the 49ers at Green Bay now. Niners up 13-7 at the end of the 2nd quarter. Another scorching day in Los Angeles, and I hate it! Especially once football season starts. It just ain't right! Definitely not "good football weather". Waiting for my team to take the field about 5:30pm my time. By then, the temperature should be down under 90 degrees.

Whoa! David Akers just kicked a 63 yard field goal to tie the NFL record. Niners up by nine.

mirandashell
09-10-2012, 02:05 AM
We're recording the game on NBC to watch tomorrow as it's not on here until one in the morning.

thothguard51
09-10-2012, 02:06 AM
I've been reading where the NFL is seriously considering giving Britain an NFL team to be located in or around London. They say there is a fan base there.

The only thing I would wonder is how jet lag to or from the US would give a home team an advantage. That and broadcasting back to the states because of the time difference.

Still waiting for Canada to express interest in getting a NFL team. They have their own league and it has a good following, but its still not the NFL.

Give one to Denmark and then they could be the real Vikings...

thothguard51
09-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Some analyst have the 49'ers and Green Bay already picked for the NFC title game, with GB winning.

From the looks of it, the 49'ers may make those analyst rethink.

Still too early in the year to call title games. Too many things can happen...

Maze Runner
09-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Whatever happened to the American style football league in Europe? Pretty sure London had a team, Barcelona, I think.

Yeah, would be a rough trip for the away teams going to Europe. Especially the West Coast teams.

Maze Runner
09-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Some analyst have the 49'ers and Green Bay already picked for the NFC title game, with GB winning.

From the looks of it, the 49'ers may make those analyst rethink.

Still too early in the year to call title games. Too many things can happen...

Yeah, really, man. My only indulgence is to hope that the Steelers get into the playoffs. After that, it's anybody's season.

mirandashell
09-10-2012, 02:13 AM
It's been talked about since the first NFL game about 3 years ago. There is a huge fan base. It's sold out months before every year. But I think it is the logistics holding it up. Especially for West Coast teams. So it needs some working out. But it would be good if it could happen.

Maze Runner
09-10-2012, 02:15 AM
We're recording the game on NBC to watch tomorrow as it's not on here until one in the morning.

About how many NFL games do you get in a given week?

In a typical week, LA only gets four, including Monday Night.

mirandashell
09-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Whatever happened to the American style football league in Europe? Pretty sure London had a team, Barcelona, I think.

It kind of died off during the 90s unfortunately. There just wasn't the funding.

But it's been played at a lot of Universities here the past few years.

mirandashell
09-10-2012, 02:22 AM
About how many NFL games do you get in a given week?

In a typical week, LA only gets four, including Monday Night.

Until this season, we got only one on the TV and two on the radio.

Now we are also getting the two Monday night games on the BBC. And Wednesday night games on the radio.

mirandashell
09-10-2012, 02:25 AM
There is also a story that the Jaguars will be playing 3 games a year over here from next year cos they can't fill their home ground. It will bring down season ticket prices for the fans.

Don't know how many they will sell here though. They are not that well known being a fairly new team. Might depend on who they are playing.

And I'm off to bed cos it's nearly midnight. See you all Monday!

Maze Runner
09-10-2012, 02:30 AM
There is also a story that the Jaguars will be playing 3 games a year over here from next year cos they can't fill their home ground. It will bring down season ticket prices for the fans.

Don't know how many they will sell here though. They are not that well known being a fairly new team. Might depend on who they are playing.

And I'm off to bed cos it's nearly midnight. See you all Monday!

Ok, Miranda. Sleep well. And thanks for talking football.

L. Y.
09-10-2012, 04:16 AM
And Terry Bradshaw, after he'd retired he refused to go back to Pittsburgh for years. He talks about how bad it was for him in the early days, before he'd started to win the big games, and the press and the fans were united in their disdain (disgust) for him. It was on an off day, after a particularly bad week, after he'd been booed off the field once again and Terry had to get out. He got in his car and just drove, and he'd been driving for a long time. It was a beautiful, clear sunny day and he was quite a few miles out of town. The quiet was beginning to have its therapeutic effect when he stops at a rural traffic light. The birds are singing, the air is sweet, and the driver stopped along his side reaches over, rolls down his window, and, "BOOOOO!"

Cool story, Bebop. :)

DA BEARS!

41-21, Bears. :hooray:

Redskins 40, Saints 32.

Congrats. RG3 played well, and so did the Redskins defense.

Another cool story (and all the following posts that added to it). Thanks to the both of you for sharing. :)

Shadow Dragon
09-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Well, Peyton looked pretty damn good in his first regular season game in a year and a half. Also, I certainly didn't mind seeing the Raven's top rival losing their first game of the season.

Maze Runner
09-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Well, Peyton looked pretty damn good in his first regular season game in a year and a half. Also, I certainly didn't mind seeing the Raven's top rival losing their first game of the season.

I'd really love to discuss it. But I'm afraid I won't be coherent.

Maze Runner
09-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Please excuse my post last night- it was the intravenous morphine talking. No, really though, Peyton Manning was something to watch in that game. If that wasn't the performance of a pro, I've never seen one. Once he figured out what the Steeler defense was doing he was a chess master. It may have been a more interesting game if we had a healthy OL, or if Harrison, Clark, and Mendenhall were in there- or if Polamalu played his regular position, but I don't know.

Congratulations to bmadsen and Denver fans. Looks like Peyton will make it a very exciting season in Denver.

Steelers host the Jets next week. Jets beat the Bills by 20 yesterday.

Jcomp
09-10-2012, 08:13 PM
RGIII was so damn good he makes me nervous as a Cowboys fan. And it was great to see Peyton back in action and looking like his old self.

Shadow Dragon
09-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Flacco looked great in the Ravens' opener. The whole offense was amazing.

Ed Panther
09-11-2012, 11:42 AM
If Joe Flacco keeps playing like he did last night, his nickname should just be Joe Montana lol.

Gilroy Cullen
09-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Used to bleed Burgundy and Gold. Then Snyder ruined the team... Might have to check that internal color again after the first game, though.

Now, I follow three teams:

The Redskins
The Ravens
Whoever is playing Dallas...

Lavern08
09-11-2012, 06:51 PM
RGIII was so damn good he makes me nervous as a Cowboys fan...

Be afraid, be very afraid, my friend. :tongue

dogfacedboy
09-11-2012, 10:12 PM
I suppose it's unpopular, but go Patriots!

After a dreadful preseason with unending questions about the O-line, they looked pretty good on Sunday. Granted, Tennessee isn't exactly a powerhouse opponent, but what could have been a close game was handled nicely with a balanced attack and much improved defense. The Pats haven't had a balanced attack in years.

And holding CJ2K to 4 rushing yards is pretty impressive, I must say.

Go Pats!

Shadow Dragon
09-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Just saw an interesting statistic. The Browns haven't beaten a division rival since 2010. And this weekend they go against the Bengals who'll probably want to make an example out of them after getting embarrassed by the Ravens.

mirandashell
09-13-2012, 01:29 AM
I watched the Bengals - Ravens game today. Oh dear.

dogfacedboy
09-13-2012, 01:35 AM
The Ravens were excellent in that game. Granted, it was against the Bengals but I think Baltimore is going to be the best team in the AFC this year. I just hope they have an off week when the Pats go down there.

mirandashell
09-13-2012, 01:41 AM
What's the new rule on completed passes all about? That really confused me. One player caught a pass in the air, got both feet down and took two steps. Then he got hit and the ground dislodged the ball. But they called it incomplete? Eh?

By the way, when are the proper refs coming back? There have been some very strange decisions.....

thothguard51
09-13-2012, 03:29 AM
1...the ground can not cause a fumble.

2...player must have control of the ball no matter how many steps he takes. No juggling.

Did not see the replay, so I can't really comment on if he had control.

The scab refs are doing the best they can but are obviously out of their league. There is also the fact that the games this weekend seemed to take 30-45 minutes longer than they should, without any overtime.

In other news for Red Skin fans, RG3 won NFC player of the week award. The first rookie to do so. He will be featured on the SI cover this week and if you believe in the SI curses, the Skins will lose to the Rams.

Thanksgiving is going to be real interesting in my house. We play the Cowboys at Cowpoke stadium. My son and his GF are Cowboy fans. The rest of the family are of course Redskin fans. Where did I go wrong?

mirandashell
09-13-2012, 03:18 PM
The player had control of the ball. He had it tucked when he took the two steps. So I can't see why they would call it incomplete. The commentators mentioned the new rule but didn't explain it.

Lavern08
09-13-2012, 06:15 PM
...Thanksgiving is going to be real interesting in my house.

I cannot wait!!! :snoopy:

Maze Runner
09-13-2012, 11:24 PM
I watched the first Inside The NFL last night. Anybody else religious about watching this show? I like the break downs from guys that really know what they're talking about. Last night, Bill Cowher made a good point- claims it's the season of the no huddle offense and the audible, and that because of that rookie or 2nd year QB's could have a rough season. He also claimed that the Ravens are for real. I didn't get to watch their demolition of the Bengals, but I saw the clips. Flacco is one of those students of the game that seems to get better every year. I am concerned about the Ravens- I'm always concerned about the Ravens, but I'm more concerned about the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger (can't believe I still have to google his name for spelling- must be why people choose to refer to him simply as Big Ben). Ben's the kind of QB that when he's on, he is on. Not like a Tom Brady who is dependably good. Ben, when he's on, can perform miracles. But too often he has that deer-in-the-headlights expression on his face. I thought I saw that look on him on the sidelines this past week, waiting to take the field against the Broncos, and I thought, 'Uh-oh!'

Another topic of discussion this week on Inside The NFL is the strike. They all seem to agree that the league will win, that the officials will cave, and be back within 5 or 6 weeks. It was Chris Collingsworth, I think, who expressed a hope that in the meantime, the subs (mostly retired officials) don't blow so many calls, or don't blow a pivotal call that costs a team a game. Tonight is the 49ers and the Bears. Doubt I'll see it live, but there are times when modern technology is a wonderful thing.

mirandashell
09-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Bugger. That will be on the radio in the middle of the night and I've got no way of recording it! Double bugger!

Maze Runner
09-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Bugger. That will be on the radio in the middle of the night and I've got no way of recording it! Double bugger!

A mother-buggerin' drag! I end up missing most the Steeler games every year. In LA, I might as well be in Europe. Actually, with these freakin' triple digit days, I'd rather be anywhere but here!

thothguard51
09-14-2012, 04:13 AM
So what is Jerry Jones take on RG3

From the Bleacher report come this news...

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d8rdg?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=washington-redskins

Jones states...

Jerry Jones noted Tuesday that the Washington Redskins nearly beat the Cowboys twice last season, “without really acceptable quarterbacking.”

Don't forget Jerry, we did beat the NY Giants twice last year. You know, the guys that did win the Superbowl.

“Well, I was very impressed,” Jones said on 105.3 [KRLD-FM] The Fan’s New School show. “He certainly showed a lot of poise. They had him game-planned really well to do the kinds of things that he does good. His athletic ability, his speed, all of that is something that I don’t look forward to the Cowboys competing against for a lot of years.”

I see 10 years or more of head aches for Jerry and the Dallas Cowgirls...

Shadow Dragon
09-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Picks for today's games:
Ravens beat Eagles
Bills beat Chiefs
Bengals beat Browns
Vikings beat Colts
Raiders beat Dolphins
Patriots beat Cardinals
Giants beat Buccaneers
Panthers beat Saints
Texans beat Jaguars
Redskins beat Rams
Cowboys beat Seahawks
Chargers beat Titans
49ers beat Lions

Jersey Chick
09-17-2012, 01:50 AM
Today's game is a prime example of why it's so damn frustrating to be a Giants fan. That's the one thing they are consistent about - driving their fans to tear their hair out.

And someone really ought to suggest to them that a pass rush might be something they'd want to try every now and again...

thothguard51
09-17-2012, 01:58 AM
My skins are looking real shaky right now. Jeff Fisher and the Rams have a good game plan right now. Hopefully Shanny and Griffin can shake off the 1st half and give the Rams something they are not prepared for.

The officiating in this game sucks...

mirandashell
09-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Just watched 49ers v Lions. Was not impressed with the Lions QB today. 49ers defence had him all ends up in the 1st 3 quarters. But Lions D did well not to let the 9ers get too far in front.

Shadow Dragon
09-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Raven's shot themselves in the foot with bad playcalling, on offense and defense. The new defensive coordinator isn't aggressive enough and not on the same level as the one that just left to coach the Colts. The offensive coordinator for the Ravens, Cam Cameron, has been bad for years and continues to cost the Ravens. I hope they fire him and promote Caldwell to OC.

Also, the refs are horrible.

Maze Runner
09-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Just found out there will be a Thursday Night game every week this year.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/TNF

Steelers beat the Jets yesterday. Looked a bit tenuous at first. Every year it's the Steeler offense fans have to worry about; defense was ranked first last year. This year, at least so far, both sides of the ball make us nervous. I'm looking forward to getting James Harrison and Troy Polamalu back.

Saw part of the 49ers/Lions game yesterday. Damn, niners look good. Alex Smith, I first took notice of him last year, plays like he really wants to win.

Steelers are 1-1 coming into Oakland.

L. Y.
09-18-2012, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I caught part of the SF-Detroit game and it looks like Alex Smith is blossoming under Harbaugh's tutelage. He's much more confident, and it shows in his game. The way SF is playing, I'm feeling a bit nervous, especially after the Bears loss to GB last Thursday.

bmadsen
09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Weeeelllll, Broncos didn't do much. Manning looked like a stunned goose trying to leave a pond, receivers were far too eager and resembled more a bunch of ants swarming around chocolate...I could go on. *sigh* It's going to be a long season :(

Lavern08
09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
*sigh* It's going to be a long season

I hear ya - Redskins already in trouble with the loss of Orakpo & Carriker :(

Maze Runner
09-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Videos of Coach Tomlin and Post-Gazette reporters on the current state of the Steelers.

Running game, injury report, Broncos and Jets game recap, Ben, and more...

http://www.post-gazette.com/video/?v=1847640310001

Jcomp
09-22-2012, 12:21 AM
I hear ya - Redskins already in trouble with the loss of Orakpo & Carriker :(

On the plus side, you have the future-all-universe rookie QB back there. You at least have reason to be hopeful. I'm still scared to death of dealing with RG III twice a season for the next several years.

Jersey Chick
09-22-2012, 12:49 AM
I'm not looking forward to playing Washington, either. **shudders**

thothguard51
09-22-2012, 12:54 AM
As bad as I wish he could, RGlll can not do it all by himself...

The Giants looked formidable last night against the fig Newton...

Jcomp
09-22-2012, 02:12 AM
Oh, and while I'm in this thread today, a belated RIP to Steve Sabol, who should've already been in the Hall of Fame, even if they had to create a new "contributor" wing for it or something. He did about as much as anyone to make the NFL as popular as it is today.

Shadow Dragon
09-24-2012, 01:35 AM
There were some great upsets so far today. Like the Vikings beating the 49ers. I like the Vikings' quarterback, Ponder, but I would never have seen that coming.

Also, it seems like the Eagles' luck has finally run out against the Cards.

mirandashell
09-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Yeah, some mad scores today. I mean, the Titans winning in OT? There were some good comebacks as well

thothguard51
09-24-2012, 02:16 AM
My skins are showing their weakness -- defense. The first play of the game proved the Skins can not defend against the big pass play. It's what beat them last week and what beat them this week. Zone coverage is not working with pass happy offenses.

The fact that the skins are averaging 30+ points a game on offense is good. Hell, its better than most teams. But the defense is allowing almost the same points per game.

On offense, the O-Line is got to get better at protecting RGlll and someone from the receivers group has got to step up and make the big plays. Our running game is still a work in progress, but so far it is what has kept the Skins in the games and moved the yardsticks.

Still too early to say this is going to be another long season for Skins fans, but RGlll is giving us something to root for...

Shadow Dragon
09-24-2012, 04:20 AM
Yes, the Steelers lost in yet another upset today. :D

thothguard51
09-24-2012, 04:28 AM
Lots of games with high scores, 30+ points. Is the run game dying?

I must say, the referring I have seen this week is not nearly as bad as last weeks, but they are still taking too long to make the calls and get the game moving.

Ed Panther
09-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Joe Flacco is turning into something special. Heck, pretty much everyone on the Ravens offense is. Dennis Pitta, Torrey Smith, and it even seems like things are finally clicking for Jacoby Jones.

Flacco has outplayed Brady every single time they've played. It's good to see Flacco actually get the win this time, especially after he threw a perfect touchdown pass to go to the Super Bowl last year but was let down by his team.

Shadow Dragon
09-24-2012, 05:32 PM
For Jones, he's following a pattern for the Ravens. Every time they pick up a player from the Texans, they play great; Pollard, Leach, now Jones. The Ravens finally have a dependable no. 3 receiver. For Smith, he has all the makings or a great wideout. I also think the Ravens have their long term answer at kicker. He barely made that one at the end but he has made a few fifty+ yarders so far. Once Suggs comes back and gives them a steady pashrush again, they could be Superbowl champions.

Maze Runner
09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Yes, the Steelers lost in yet another upset today. :D

Now, now ... nobody likes a gloater.

Penalties, turnovers, persistent injuries, no running game to speak of, BUT defense, a woeful defense.

http://www.post-gazette.com/video/?v=1857382445001

thothguard51
09-24-2012, 10:00 PM
With the amount of injuries so far, its a wonder any of the teams are going to have their starting line up intact by mid season...

Maze Runner
09-24-2012, 10:16 PM
With the amount of injuries so far, its a wonder any of the teams are going to have their starting line up intact by mid season...

I thought the same thing. What's up with that?

Lavern08
09-24-2012, 10:59 PM
My skins are showing their weakness -- defense. The first play of the game proved the Skins can not defend against the big pass play. It's what beat them last week and what beat them this week.

It's what almost ALWAYS beats them!!! :rant:

Still too early to say this is going to be another long season for Skins fans, but RGlll is giving us something to root for...

*Sigh* :(

dogfacedboy
09-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Joe Flacco is turning into something special. Heck, pretty much everyone on the Ravens offense is. Dennis Pitta, Torrey Smith, and it even seems like things are finally clicking for Jacoby Jones.

Flacco has outplayed Brady every single time they've played. It's good to see Flacco actually get the win this time, especially after he threw a perfect touchdown pass to go to the Super Bowl last year but was let down by his team.

Flacco was wretched in that game. His passes were all to wide open receivers - nothing was threaded into a tight spot. There were at least three separate throws that were directly at the Patriots' secondary. Luckily the Pats have garbage defensive backs. The Ravens have an excellent team, but Flacco was far from special.

Tough to say which team deserved the win. The game was so over-officiated that it was just a relief to get it over with. And fitting that it was decided with a highly questionable (and reviewable) field goal. So it goes.

thothguard51
09-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Yes, I thought all scores in the final two minutes were reviewable. I can not imagine going into the playoffs with these sales clerks as refs...

Ed Panther
09-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Flacco was wretched in that game. His passes were all to wide open receivers - nothing was threaded into a tight spot. There were at least three separate throws that were directly at the Patriots' secondary. Luckily the Pats have garbage defensive backs. The Ravens have an excellent team, but Flacco was far from special.

Tough to say which team deserved the win. The game was so over-officiated that it was just a relief to get it over with. And fitting that it was decided with a highly questionable (and reviewable) field goal. So it goes.

Brady has made a career out of having 5 seconds to throw 8 yard passes to wide open receivers, and people try to say he might be the greatest of all time.

If you don't think that Flacco was making great throws all over the place then I think you need to watch some of the plays again. The three wide open plays to Jacoby Jones were perfectly thrown balls with absolute impeccable timing that enabled so much YAC, and then all of the throws to Smith were superb, etc.

The throws to defenders.. The one with Boldin in the area was Boldin running the wrong route. That should've been a huge completion. The one that Torrey caused the incomplete with tackling the defender, he slowed down while the ball was in the air. Still a risky throw, but it only appeared like a gimme interception because Smith slowed down for whatever reason.

Flacco had an INCREDIBLE touch pass to Boldin for like 30 yards while getting hit. That was more impressive than any throw Brady made tenfold.

And Flacco was simply incredible on the drive to get in field goal range.

He outplayed Brady, Bigtime... Again.

Saying 28/39 for 387 yards 3 touchdowns and 1 interception is "wretched" is as absurd as the ending of the Packers/Seahawks game.

The only play that was truly just an easy pass to a wide open receiver was the touchdown to Dennis Pitta.

dogfacedboy
09-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Maybe wretched is too strong a word, but you could put nearly any QB in the league in that game and they would have done just as well. Zero pass pressure, receivers that completely burned their coverage, and DB's that couldn't hold on to balls thrown directly at them will make any QB look good. There's been a groundswell of support for Flacco this season and I just don't see why. I get that the Ravens are a tremendously talented team and are likely to win a ton of games this year, but Flacco is the smallest contributor to that success, so far as I can tell.

Plus I can't shake the notion that he's nearly as whiny as Jay Cutler. How much more can we listen to him talk about how the media is out to get him and they never give him a chance? Reminds me of Roberto Luongo.

But more importantly, how stunningly ironic is it that the team that gets screwed the hardest by the owners vs. officials standoff is the one team without an owner? Green Bay got royally hosed last night. I hate complaining about referees in general (in any sport), but this season has been off-the-charts horrible. The problem is that nobody's going to stop watching or stop buying tickets, so what reason is there to bring the actual, competent refs back? Just because your crack dealer starts selling you lower grade stuff (I honestly have no idea if there is high or low grade crack but bear with me) are you going to suddenly quit? The NFL knows that it has the audience trapped. It's going to take a lot more than some bad calls to convince them to fix the problem.

Ed Panther
09-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Maybe wretched is too strong a word, but you could put nearly any QB in the league in that game and they would have done just as well. Zero pass pressure, receivers that completely burned their coverage, and DB's that couldn't hold on to balls thrown directly at them will make any QB look good. There's been a groundswell of support for Flacco this season and I just don't see why. I get that the Ravens are a tremendously talented team and are likely to win a ton of games this year, but Flacco is the smallest contributor to that success, so far as I can tell.

Plus I can't shake the notion that he's nearly as whiny as Jay Cutler. How much more can we listen to him talk about how the media is out to get him and they never give him a chance? Reminds me of Roberto Luongo.

But more importantly, how stunningly ironic is it that the team that gets screwed the hardest by the owners vs. officials standoff is the one team without an owner? Green Bay got royally hosed last night. I hate complaining about referees in general (in any sport), but this season has been off-the-charts horrible. The problem is that nobody's going to stop watching or stop buying tickets, so what reason is there to bring the actual, competent refs back? Just because your crack dealer starts selling you lower grade stuff (I honestly have no idea if there is high or low grade crack but bear with me) are you going to suddenly quit? The NFL knows that it has the audience trapped. It's going to take a lot more than some bad calls to convince them to fix the problem.

Really? If you put any quarterback in that game they would've done what Flacco did? And he's been the smallest contributer?

No. You have an axe to grind with Flacco, nothing more nothing less.

Please, look at the highlights of the Ravens Bengals game. Flacco made ridiculous throws all over the field.

Flacco had to make much more difficult throws than Brady last night, and had less time to throw too. Honestly if I uses the evaluation process for Brady that you use for Flacco, then Brady would be a mediocre quarterback.

Jcomp
09-25-2012, 08:16 PM

You are correct. To expand on the crack analogy (there are indeed highs and lows in the qualities of crack, depending on how much you cut the product, but I digress) the only way an addict would stop purchasing from the dealer who starts pushing lower quality product is if there is competition. If there's another dealer nearby who can provide a better product at a comparable price, they'll move on to that dealer. Otherwise, the only other option is to quit, which is easier said than done for a lot of people. Not saying football fans are like drug addicts, but they are fans. They want football. They'll suffer through this crap because the alternative is to not have football at all.

It makes me think of a quick convo I had in a bar downtown last week with a guy from Ireland. He said he likes American football, but said he was surprised there weren't more leagues. The NFL would be the big, premier league, sure, but having other competitive leagues would help make sure the NFL stayed sharp, he said. I had never thought of it that way, and thought that he had an interesting perspective. I think that what's going on in the NFL now is a result of them having no real competition in the pro football market.

The one thing that might influence the NFL to act more quickly: Vegas (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8422934/seattle-seahawks-vs-green-bay-packers-disputed-mnf-call-shifted-150-250m-bets). The NFL would never admit to Vegas having any influence, but millions of dollars in potential winnings and losings being swayed by shitty refs can't be ignored.

dogfacedboy
09-25-2012, 08:45 PM
No. You have an axe to grind with Flacco, nothing more nothing less.

Okay, sure. You got me. He stole my girlfriend in high school and I never forgave him. Let's move on. Because nothing I say will make you go, "Hmm, maybe he's not as great as I think," regardless of how truthful it is.

You think he's wonderful. I disagree. So it goes.

The NFL would be the big, premier league, sure, but having other competitive leagues would help make sure the NFL stayed sharp, he said.

While I like the idea, I don't think it would work here. There have been opportunities for alternate leagues, like the XFL, NFL Europe, and even arena league. But nothing even comes close to threatening the NFL as far as talent and entertainment. Too bad, really. A little healthy competition might be nice.

Shadow_Ferret
09-25-2012, 09:44 PM
After last night's horrible series of bad calls and non-calls that gave Seattle a victory they didn't deserve, and after today's gutless decision by the NFL to let said travesty stand, I find I now have Sundays, Mondays, and a few Thursdays free.

If the NFL doesn't care enough to out a quality product on the field, why should I waste my time watching that crap?

Maybe they'll make some rule changes for next year. Reviewing no -called offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. Or ties between the defender and receiver simultaneously catching the ball going to the receiver (even when it was clear to everyone that there was no tie, unless catching and holding a defender who caught the ball is considered a tie).

I've put up with a lot: a strike shortened 1982 season; the scab player season; among other lockouts/walkouts. But this one, especially after last night, is too much.

Jcomp
09-25-2012, 09:58 PM
While I like the idea, I don't think it would work here. There have been opportunities for alternate leagues, like the XFL, NFL Europe, and even arena league. But nothing even comes close to threatening the NFL as far as talent and entertainment. Too bad, really. A little healthy competition might be nice.

Oh yes, make no mistake. I thought it was a great idea, but it has zero chance of actually happening, unless the NFL does something so unbelievably egregious that it manages to chase a huge chunk of the fandom away, and I can't even imagine what that would be other than making the game go to two-hand touch or some other ridiculousness...

Maze Runner
09-25-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd heard that the sub refs were retirees. But last night, might have been Steve Young who said they were mostly high school and small college refs. That would explain a lot. Such a shame. Maybe more of a shame the way it's overshadowing great performances. Seattle's defense was so tough last night.

mirandashell
09-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Just as quick side line....

What happens to the college players who are good but not quite good enough to get into the NFL? There must be a lot of them every year. So what do they do? Not play again?

Maze Runner
09-25-2012, 10:33 PM
There's Canadian football. I played with a guy in HS, a standout in the 3 big sports, football, baseball, and basketball. He went on to be a standout in college football, and then in Canadian football. He now an assistant coach in the NFL. There's also Arena football, but the cold truth is a lot of these guys just end up working stiffs like the rest of us. Too many college players and so few slots in the NFL.

mirandashell
09-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Ah, I thought so.

See, that's why more than one league is a good idea. We've got loads of footballers that aren't good enough to play in the Premiership but can make a damn good living in the lower leagues providing football for supporters. At a cheaper cost too.

Maze Runner
09-25-2012, 10:46 PM
They've tried it a few times. I had another teammate who played for The World Football League, for the Philadelphia team, The Stars, I think. Not sure why it never seems to catch on.

mirandashell
09-25-2012, 10:56 PM
TPTB not taking it seriously, maybe?

Maze Runner
09-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I mean, it's seen as not as good. And of course, it's not. Like to know actually, what the ratio is- college players to pros. Wait ... and here's the answer, or one answer- 2.5%. I'd have thought it would be even lower.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percentage_of_college_football_players_play_i n_the_NFL

mirandashell
09-25-2012, 11:25 PM
2.5%? Wow, that is low. I guess it's all down to how things start. The Football League started as a lot of clubs sorted into a heirarchy

Maze Runner
09-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Yeah, it is low. Took the NFL quite a few years to gain legitimacy. College football, back then, out drew the pros by quite a bit.

Jcomp
09-25-2012, 11:44 PM
If I was a billionaire with billionaire friends interested in creating a new league, here's how I'd go about it:

A) Do not compete directly with the NFL. You just can't win.
B) Make it an 18 - 24 league and pursue the hell out of high school grads and NCAA players who want to get paid early before heading to the NFL. This will help you bring in some players with some name recognition (recruit guys playing in the televised All-American games and have them hold press conferences when they select a team in your league, just like they do when choosing a college now), and also make your league seem less like it's full of wash-outs who "aren't good enough" and more like it's full of up-and-comers with NFL ambitions.
C) Start small. 8 teams max to begin with. Keep contracts reasonable (upper five-figures to low-six figures).

I think that could potentially work, perhaps even thrive eventually.

Maze Runner
09-26-2012, 12:05 AM
If I was a billionaire with billionaire friends interested in creating a new league, here's how I'd go about it:

A) Do not compete directly with the NFL. You just can't win.
B) Make it an 18 - 24 league and pursue the hell out of high school grads and NCAA players who want to get paid early before heading to the NFL. This will help you bring in some players with some name recognition (recruit guys playing in the televised All-American games and have them hold press conferences when they select a team in your league, just like they do when choosing a college now), and also make your league seem less like it's full of wash-outs who "aren't good enough" and more like it's full of up-and-comers with NFL ambitions.
C) Start small. 8 teams max to begin with. Keep contracts reasonable (upper five-figures to low-six figures).

I think that could potentially work, perhaps even thrive eventually.

I like that. I think you'd have to cut it off at 24, otherwise 18 year olds would be over-matched physically. It would bring some sanity into the game, the income limits, I mean. As it is now, NFL players feel like they gotta get it while they can. Our league would pay a good living while they're on their way to bigger and better things. A counter argument might be that we'd be robbing these kids of higher education and a brighter future, if they don't make it into the "big leagues".

How 'bout the season? Do they play in autumn/winter, or off season?

mirandashell
09-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Interesting idea!

Maze Runner
09-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Interesting idea!

It is. Let's start a fund. Be about the only way to get a pro team in LA.

mirandashell
09-26-2012, 12:12 AM
I can spare a tenner!

Maze Runner
09-26-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm in. We'll both end up with about .000000000000000000000001%.

Jcomp
09-26-2012, 01:00 AM
A counter argument might be that we'd be robbing these kids of higher education and a brighter future, if they don't make it into the "big leagues".

I've had this idea circling in my head for a while now (not that I could do anything with it), and I'm still not sure what exactly to do about that counter argument. I think from a PR perspective, the league owners would have to agree to set up some kind of program to get their players all the available information for local colleges, and encourage them to do what they can to attend. Maybe have some on staff tutors, some people who can help them apply for scholarships, loans and grants, or look at vocational school options (America needs more skilled trade workers anyway). Basically just something to prepare them for life after football, (since most still won't make it to the NFL).

Like you mentioned, the lower salaries can help bring some sanity to the whole business. Teams can have financial advisors on staff to help guys manage their money, but if the salaries aren't exorbitant, I'm wagering a lot of these guys would be more careful about their money. In a strange way, it's probably easier to blow $5-million than (random figure) $70,000, because the former gives some guys the illusion that it will last forever, no matter how much they spend. $70,000 is still really good money just to be playing football, but it's also enough to force you to be responsible, or at least reasonable.

How 'bout the season? Do they play in autumn/winter, or off season?

Ya know, that's the one area where I'm really not sure what would work best. But since we're all pitching in, I'm open to ideas! (Places $20 in the League Fund Jar).

Maze Runner
09-26-2012, 01:17 AM
I mean, to me, football is decidedly a cold weather sport. And I think our league could play right alongside college and the pros- just not on the weekends or on Monday night, and I guess not on Thursday night either. Or it could start in November/December and run into what? Late Feb or early March?

As far as the college thing, well you know, most of us on here are college graduates and many of us might agree that a college education has been good for us, but not a panacea. You might be doing some of these kids a favor to just get them into a good paying job doing something they love, something that few of us, college educated or not will ever do.

Silver King
09-26-2012, 04:31 AM
Okay, sure. You got me. He stole my girlfriend in high school and I never forgave him. Let's move on. Because nothing I say will make you go, "Hmm, maybe he's not as great as I think," regardless of how truthful it is.

You think he's wonderful. I disagree. So it goes.

And please let's end it there, okay? This thread, and this entire room, is not the place to argue about conjectures regarding which player would have done what in hypothetical situations.

Feel free to argue facts (respectfully, of course), but please try to refrain from trash talk that is best suited for sports bars or other venues where adult discourse is not taken seriously.

Thank you.

Maze Runner
09-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Good news. http://www.examiner.com/article/nfl-reaches-8-year-deal-with-referees-to-end-strike-refs-get-raise-and-pension

Maze Runner
09-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Interesting rankings after three weeks of play. (1) Houston (2) Atlanta (3) Baltimore (4) San Francisco (5) Arizona

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

dogfacedboy
09-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Excited to see the real refs back. Obviously there will still be missed calls and angry fans, but never to the degree we had with the replacement guys who were simply in over their heads.

The problem is, I don't really care whether the refs got their pensions or whether the owners busted the union or any of the other sticking points of the negotiations. I care that the quality of their product suffered. If the quality of the games wasn't affected I never would have cared which refs were out there.

Back to normal football tonight. I hope the refs get a huge ovation at the beginning of the game.

Maze Runner
09-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Excited to see the real refs back. Obviously there will still be missed calls and angry fans, but never to the degree we had with the replacement guys who were simply in over their heads.

The problem is, I don't really care whether the refs got their pensions or whether the owners busted the union or any of the other sticking points of the negotiations. I care that the quality of their product suffered. If the quality of the games wasn't affected I never would have cared which refs were out there.

Back to normal football tonight. I hope the refs get a huge ovation at the beginning of the game.

yeah, who is it? Baltimore and cleveland? Should be an easy game for the Ravens, 'course that's the thing about football- on any given Sunday (thursday). I'm sure most know that the Ravens were once the Browns, and the Browns, that were such a trailblazing team with Paul Brown's offensive innovations is actually an expansion team. Is your team the Pats?

dogfacedboy
09-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Yep, the Pats are my team. Tough loss last week to the Ravens, but they're a damn good team so no shame in that.

The Ravens should win going away tonight. The only mitigating factor I can think of is that they're playing on a short week. But then, so is Cleveland. I'd guess Baltimore takes it by a score of 31-14.

Yeah, the Ravens are pretty unpopular in Cleveland for ditching the city. I think technically the Ravens are considered the expansion team, with the current Browns team claiming all the history and records of the old Browns team. Someone on this board could probably speak to this with more authority than myself, though.

Jcomp
09-28-2012, 12:39 AM
You are correct. The Ravens are considered the new franchise. Cleveland retained all of its previous records when the franchise was reborn.

Ed Panther
09-28-2012, 09:51 AM
That was a strange game. The linebacker who made the interception just did an absolutely incredible job on that play. That's a Baltimore touchdown if he doesn't make such a great play.

Wonderful to see Torrey Smith get another touchdown.

Boldin went berserk.

The game would have been a blowout if the offensive line didn't keep having hiccups after a few first downs and spoiling drives. It's weird, it seems like the Ravens can score anytime they want (have) to, but go long stretches where it seems like they are just.. Lolligagging haha.

I think the Ravens have the most explosive offense and by seasons end will be number 1 with a bit of a margin. They need to be more consistent, which starts with the offense line.

Priene
09-28-2012, 06:34 PM
The Ravens were never the Browns. They stole the team, but they didn't get to take the history. People in Cleveland are extremely sensitive about that one.

Maze Runner
09-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Looks like it's still a sensitive subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns_relocation_controversy

On the game last night, I only caught the fourth quarter. That Ravens defense is always tough, and the offense looks good too. As far as the Browns, I was impressed with Brandon Weeden. He throws an accurate pass. But he does need to get some more steam on the ball. Otherwise he's going to get regularly picked off, even with that accuracy he has.

Shadow Dragon
09-29-2012, 07:32 AM
The Ravens did come out a bit flat in the first half. But considering how busy they've been, four games in seventeen days, including two primetime games in five days and with two of those four teams being playoff teams last year. All in all, going 3-1 is pretty impressive. Plus, the Browns usually play well against division opponents.

mirandashell
10-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Goddamn, Falcons!

thothguard51
10-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Goddamn, Falcons!

Tough loss, right down to the wire...

mirandashell
10-01-2012, 12:57 AM
I bet!

Shadow Dragon
10-01-2012, 01:44 AM
How in the world did the Bills manage to lose that game that badly? There's no excuse for collapsing like that in the second half. You can't be up twenty-one to seven and lose fifty-two to twenty-eight.

In other news, Vikings gave more proof that they're real by beating the Lions. Rams pulled off a good upset against the Seahawks. And the Jets couldn't even score a field goal against the 49ers.

mirandashell
10-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah, what the hell happened with the Jets?

Maze Runner
10-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Packers and Saints nose 'n nose- Packers up 27-28 with under 5 minutes left in the game. Saints goin for it, on 4th and 2 at midfield- they did it- short pass over the middle- First and 10

Oh, what a heartbreak! Saints kick a 43 yd. fg to go up by one- holding penalty pushes them back ten- then an encroachment gets them five back- But 48 yarder went wide left. Packers practicing ball control, trying to eat up the last two minutes at mid field. I know the saints are in the doghouse- but I always feel like they're a compelling story- winning the Super Bowl after that city was devastated by Katrina.

TedTheewen
10-01-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm surrounded by cheeseheads and all they do is bitch and whine if they aren't winning. I'm a Bear fan. There's a bunch of us at work who are and we usually show some class. The problem is the Packer fans.....geez! Sore losers and even worse winners. Never seen such sore winners.

Silver King
10-01-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm surrounded by cheeseheads and all they do is bitch and whine if they aren't winning. I'm a Bear fan. There's a bunch of us at work who are and we usually show some class. The problem is the Packer fans.....geez! Sore losers and even worse winners. Never seen such sore winners.

That may be the case in your circle of football associates. But in respect to the members of this site, which some are Packers fans, let's not use such a broad, baseless stroke to color fans of any sports team a certain way.

I don't have the energy, nor the patience, to keep reiterating this warning, but I'll try one more time: No trash talking, please. And that includes derisive remarks toward players and teams and fans and owners and host cities and anything else a reasonable person can think of.

Sharing your passion is fine, admirable even, yet never at the expense of losing sight of your audience while insulting a part of it.

This is my last warning regarding this issue. Next time I'll come in swinging, hard, and no one wants to see that, unless they appreciate a lopsided match in which I'm sure to win.

TedTheewen
10-01-2012, 06:41 AM
An NFL thread with no trash talk? Really? Good luck with that one.

Silver King
10-01-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm pretty sure you could suffer through that distinction and think of some topics that are worthy of discussion without allowing yourself to flirt with the lowest common denominator of sports talk bullshit.

That's my hope, anyway, not just for you but for this room as a whole.

thothguard51
10-01-2012, 07:04 AM

I understand the sentiment, but I think SK does not want it to deteriorate into what sports blogs have become. I avoid reading sports blog comments because they really show the worse of sports fans...

mirandashell
10-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I love the fact there is no trash talk on this thread. It's a major reason why I come here instead of sports blogs. I can talk NFL without having to deal with flame wars.

I just want to talk football.....

Maze Runner
10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I just think that kind of thing quickly devolves into silliness. Like a bunch of kids in a schoolyard and pretty soon I'm embarrassed to be part of the conversation.

dogfacedboy
10-01-2012, 05:46 PM
How in the world did the Bills manage to lose that game that badly? There's no excuse for collapsing like that in the second half. You can't be up twenty-one to seven and lose fifty-two to twenty-eight.

I really think the Bills defense just quit in the second half of that game. While it's great that the Pats won, it's not all that satisfying to beat a team who doesn't seem to be making an honest effort.

Not that it showed up on the scoreboard, but the Patriots proved that they are nothing like the elite team that many of the "experts" propped them up to be before the season. The defensive secondary was terrible, there was yet again no pass pressure, and they missed two more field goals.

And I'm getting really tired of Brand Lloyd dropping every pass that hits him in the numbers, but pulling in all these circus catches. Consistency would be nice.

Around the league: What a heartbreaker for the Saints and Panthers. And Miami is playing better than their record suggests. The Jets... ugh. Although I picked the Lions to win, I love that Minnesota is surprising people this year. I didn't get to see the Broncos game, but is Manning finally back to his old self now or was Oakland just bad?

Lavern08
10-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Redskins = Ugly win, but a win nonetheless *Sigh* :Shrug:

thothguard51
10-01-2012, 10:27 PM
The Redskins don't have enough guys getting hurt in the games so they have decided to get the guys hurt in warm ups... What the hell is with that?

mirandashell
10-01-2012, 10:28 PM
What happened with that? Did they bang into each other going for the ball?

thothguard51
10-01-2012, 10:37 PM
What happened with that? Did they bang into each other going for the ball?

Robinson was standing on the goal line looking at his shoes. Merriweather was running routes to catch the ball and had his eyes on the ball. Bang crash...Merriweather re injuries his knee and Robinson was knocked out cold. Both were then inactive...

As far as the Redskins, that 30 million salary cap penalty is showing up by the fact that the defense did not get any big name free agents for the secondary in free agency period. And next year won't be any better in that department...

L. Y.
10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
I have to hand it to the Bears defense, they played pretty well today.

Marshall finally had a big game.

And Kellen Davis's catch? Not a game changer, but a great catch nonetheless.

mirandashell
10-02-2012, 09:43 PM
DA BEARS!

Well done boys! Some great plays.

But Dallas really really need to get a running game.

thothguard51
10-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Yes, the Bears were awesome...

Of course, anyone who trashes the Cowboys like that are awesome...

So glad the Skins don't have to play them this year...

mirandashell
10-02-2012, 10:05 PM
I really enjoyed the game. Some beautiful defensive play. And Marshall did really well. But I'm looking forward to Matt Forte getting back to his best.

Maze Runner
10-03-2012, 12:08 AM
I really enjoyed the game. Some beautiful defensive play. And Marshall did really well. But I'm looking forward to Matt Forte getting back to his best.

Great win for the Bears, I mean DA Bears, excuse me. I was hesitant to comment earlier, 'cause I didn't know whether you'd seen it live and didn't wanna be a spoiler. I caught most of the second half- to me, it just looked like Chicago wanted it more. They hit harder, were faster off the ball, just generally played with more fire. In any football game, you can see the contrast in intensities if you watch the line. That said, I'm not sure who had a worse night, Romo or his receivers. Bad, bad night for the Boys.

Congrats to Chicago fans on this thread- Sweet Miranda, of course, who besides her unqualified love for Da Bears, is a big fan of American chocolate. Also, lifelong Bears fan L.Y., and lactose intolerant TedTheewen, whom we hope comes back to the thread.

Heard an interesting statistic last night- the first four weeks of this NFL season have produced more points than any four weeks in NFL history. Also the most td's, and 36 games have been decided by 8 pts or less.

The run game is over. (almost). As much as i like the fast pass game, and as boring as those 2, 3 yrd gains up the middle can be, there is nothing more beautiful than a run from scrimmage that sneaks through a crack in the line, eludes a LB, sidesteps a CB and out maneuvers a Safety for a 65 yd td.

mirandashell
10-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Don't worry about spoiling it for me. If there is a score I don't want to know, I just avoid the thread. Not fair on everyone else to have to wait on me. But thank you for the thought.

And yeah, I miss the run game too. I really hate the little passes over the middle. Yes, they work but lord they are boring to watch. I blame Peyton Manning and it's the main reason I can't stand him.

Anyway....this may be a dumb question but are there so many big scores because the pass game is harder to defend than the running game?

L. Y.
10-03-2012, 06:15 AM
The run game is over. (almost). As much as i like the fast pass game, and as boring as those 2, 3 yrd gains up the middle can be, there is nothing more beautiful than a run from scrimmage that sneaks through a crack in the line, eludes a LB, sidesteps a CB and out maneuvers a Safety for a 65 yd td.

A great punt/interception return is also a beautiful to watch. :)

Other than that, I have to agree. As a fan growing up watching running backs like Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, and Marshall Faulk--to name a few--there is something about breaking a long run that is simply electrifying. We'll probably see that from time to time, but not quite as often.

Anyway....this may be a dumb question but are there so many big scores because the pass game is harder to defend than the running game?

Not a dumb question at all.

I don't keep up with the NFL as much as I used to, but I think there may be more than one answer to that question.

A team with a good ball-control run offense keeps opposing offenses off of the field and runs down the game clock. Limiting an opponent's time of possession and controlling the clock tends to hinder the chances of having high-scoring shootouts.

With the shift to a passing attack, the field is "shortened." Most pass completions eat up larger chunks of yardage in comparison to runs, so it is relatively easier to move the ball downfield. There is a higher chance for big plays in the passing game. And if the pass is incomplete, the game clock stops. This all leads to more time being left on the game clock, and more chances for each team to score.

I also think the new rule changes in favor of player safety have affected scoring in the NFL. The rule changes favor offensive players, namely quarterbacks and receivers (which I think is a good thing). The rules (and hefty fines!) may have led players to be a little more cautious in their play, giving the offense the upper hand.

At least that's my take on it.

Maze Runner
10-03-2012, 09:12 PM

In short, yes. But it wasn't always that way. Rule changes, especially the five yard chuck rule, where a DB can't make contact with a receiver five yards past the line of scrimmage. There are other reasons, including other rules changes that largely favor the offense.

A pretty good article on this: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Cam-Newton-Tom-Brady-show-NFL-passing-game-explosion-thanks-to-rule-changes-coaching-athletes-091611

A y-tube on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFj5nx5-bBM

Maze Runner
10-03-2012, 09:16 PM
A great punt/interception return is also a beautiful to watch. :)

I notice you didn't say "kickoff" returns. Nah, truth is, I think the level of athleticism today warrants certain rule changes to minimize injuries. It was probably a good move.

L. Y.
10-04-2012, 04:46 AM
I notice you didn't say "kickoff" returns.

I missed that one. :)

Nah, truth is, I think the level of athleticism today warrants certain rule changes to minimize injuries. It was probably a good move.Agreed. Players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger. In light of all the long term effects players are suffering, I'm entirely in favor of the new rules protecting players.

Shadow Dragon
10-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Another upset on the season with the Rams beating the Cards.

Shadow Dragon
10-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Ok, the Raven's kicker is just awesome:

The Ravens have a tradition of embarrassing their rookies.

One by one, the newbies march in front of the entire team during training camp meetings and sing, tell a joke, or something of the sort to entertain the vets.

Kicker Justin Tuckerhttp://www.baltimoreravens.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster/justin-tucker/4eea8994-ee0d-4667-8bf3-772543d157a0/) saw it as an opportunity to impress.

He had already done a Christopher Walken impersonation near the start of camp. After watching terrible after terrible performances from his fellow rookies, Tucker decided to volunteer for another round on the final day.

Nobody volunteers for public ridicule. But Tucker’s not your typical rookie, or kicker, or player, or person in general.

“I decided to put myself out there,” Tucker said. “These vets, they deserve more.”

Tucker told the team he was going to sing opera. He even gave them three options: sing in Italian, Russian or Latin.

In a packed auditorium of veterans and coaches, Tucker belted out famous Italian aria, O Sole Mio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1IZHdr23XI), as if he were in a grand concert hall.

“Everybody’s jaw hit the ground,” linebacker Jameel McClainhttp://www.baltimoreravens.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster/jameel-mcclain/1b9210af-8755-4fdb-886e-580e37c99afe/) said. “Man, he’s pretty good!”

Since that day, Tucker hasn’t ceased to amaze and entertain his teammates.

He’s quickly become one of the biggest characters in the locker room, and a player that has seamlessly assimilated into the team unlike your average NFL kicker – especially for a rookie.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Justin-Tuckers-Lovable-Weirdness-/48f2d57c-a59a-4a0e-985d-73ae03707e59

Maze Runner
10-07-2012, 02:53 PM
That is pretty wild. Like to see the U tube of it.

ArchaWriter
10-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Cowboys fan here.
Jason Garrett has to go. He's not aggressive enough to coach this franchise. He's so melancholy it's sickening. Yeah, he's been part of the organization forever but he doesn't have what it takes.
John Gruden is someone with passion. I would like to see him come back into the game as the coach for the Cowboys.
People like to pick apart problems with offense and defense and that's okay, but I see Jason as the biggest problem.

thothguard51
10-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Week 5, Time to start separating the wheat from the chaff...

Snowstorm
10-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Redskins = Ugly win, but a win nonetheless

Exactly. I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.

Maze Runner
10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
More flags than the United Nations. It's gonna be hard to be a Steeler fan this year.

Maze Runner
10-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Glad to get the win, anyway. Lost Polamalu again. How long this time? We are not nearly the same team without him; he's like 2 guys. Harrison came back too; looked a little sluggish. My game ball goes to Rashard Mendenhall who also came back today, and gained more yards on the ground than the Steelers have all season.

thothguard51
10-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Well, RG3 gets his first knocked out of the season...

I like Kirk Cousins in relief of RG3 over sexy Rexy, but Cousin's showed in preseason that he is prone to turn overs and it happened twice today. Defense played a good game until the end.

I feel sorry for the home team crowd. Redskins have lost 8 in row at home...

Maze Runner
10-08-2012, 12:24 AM

I like Kirk Cousins in relief of RG3 over sexy Rexy, but Cousin's showed in preseason that he is prone to turn overs and it happened twice today. Defense played a good game until the end.

I feel sorry for the home team crowd. Redskins have lost 8 in row at home...

I saw a clip of that hit RG3 took. Is he alright? What are they saying about it?

thothguard51
10-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Nothing right now....

Waiting for an update...

Shadow Dragon
10-08-2012, 01:49 AM
Raven's won ugly but a win is a win. Also, I think the Redskins would have won if RG3 hadn't of been taken out.

mirandashell
10-08-2012, 01:51 AM
On the website they said it's a mild concussion. How long will he be out for?

thothguard51
10-08-2012, 02:17 AM
According to the new rules, he has to be tested first. More should be known at the usual Monday news conference...

Shadow Dragon
10-08-2012, 11:23 AM
I really don't get why the Chargers kept Gaither in on that last play. It was obvious the man was only hopping around on one leg and the defender was set wide, guaranteeing that Gaither had not shot of being able to stop him. It was just physically impossible for him to do it on one leg.

Oh well, it was nice seeing the Saints get their first win and I'm sure Brees and Sproles enjoyed beating the Chargers.

Lavern08
10-08-2012, 05:57 PM

DANG!

We felt that pop all the way down here in Virginia. :flag:

Maze Runner
10-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Raven's won ugly but a win is a win. Also, I think the Redskins would have won if RG3 hadn't of been taken out.

I'm wondering how many KC fans cheered when Matt Cassel got knocked out. From this response from Eric Winston, it would seem like it was quite a lot.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-10-07/matt-cassel-kansas-city-chiefs-nfl-week-5-baltimore-ravens-haloti-ngata

More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/07/eric-winson-rips-fans-for-cheering-matt-cassel-injury/1618595/

dogfacedboy
10-09-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm wondering how many KC fans cheered when Matt Cassel got knocked out. From this response from Eric Winston, it would seem like it was quite a lot.

This is one of the worst things that happens in professional sports, in my opinion. I have no problem with fans booing their team or even demanding that players get benched or replaced or traded. That's fine. You pay money to see a good product and you have a right to be angry when you don't get one. But erupting into cheers when a player from either team gets injured - especially a head injury - teeters a little too closely on the edge of savagery for my liking.

I'm not ripping the people of Kansas City in particular, because this happens in a lot of places and in more sports than just football. But this latest episode is an example of how too many people can take this stuff entirely too seriously. It's a shame, really, and it takes away from my overall enjoyment of the sport.

Shadow Dragon
10-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Oddly enough, this has two things in common with the last time I saw a cheer for an injured quarterback. Well, for starters, it was the Browns that it happened to. Can't remember the name of the starter, but I'm pretty sure this is shortly after they drafted Quin, so he was the backup in both cases. And it was the Raven's defense that took out the starter both times.

thothguard51
10-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Raven's and Bear's have two of the best defenses...

Shadow Dragon
10-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Raven's defense this year is a bit of a let down. Lewis and Reed aren't the players they used to be. They only have one consistent cornerback. And without Suggs, they are really struggling with getting to the quarterback. Though they do have a good core to build around (Ngata, Webb, their young outside linebackers, and Pollard). They just really need a pass rusher so everything isn't put on Suggs.

They definitely need to add pass rushers in the next off season.

Maze Runner
10-11-2012, 12:12 AM
This is one of the worst things that happens in professional sports, in my opinion. I have no problem with fans booing their team or even demanding that players get benched or replaced or traded. That's fine. You pay money to see a good product and you have a right to be angry when you don't get one. But erupting into cheers when a player from either team gets injured - especially a head injury - teeters a little too closely on the edge of savagery for my liking.

I'm not ripping the people of Kansas City in particular, because this happens in a lot of places and in more sports than just football. But this latest episode is an example of how too many people can take this stuff entirely too seriously. It's a shame, really, and it takes away from my overall enjoyment of the sport.

Agreed, on all of this. I didn't see the game, so I don't know if it was just a few people, or what. You have to wonder what kind of mentality would cheer the injury, and as you pointed out head injury of a player. And I'll just speak for myself when I say that I have to wonder how many of those people ever put on a football uniform.

Shadow Dragon
10-11-2012, 03:47 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, there were some cheers when Kyle Boller (former Raven's quarterback) got injured too.

thothguard51
10-11-2012, 03:52 AM
RG3 has been cleared to play this weekend. Home game, against the Vikings...

mirandashell
10-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Come on Skins!

Maze Runner
10-12-2012, 07:18 PM
It's hard to get mad at your team when they're playing hard, but racked with injuries. I can't even run 'em all down, but suffice it to say that after we lost our All Pro center, Maurice Pouncey, I'm not sure we even have a first string offensive lineman starting. Mendenhall, Polamalu out again, too, but the big hole in our team is our pass coverage, just horrible. Not to take anything away from Hassellbeck, 'cause truth is he looked good. But this is Tennesse, a team that hadn't won a game all season- till last night.

It is going to be a long season for Steeler fans...

Shadow Dragon
10-13-2012, 10:57 AM
It's hard to get mad at your team when they're playing hard, but racked with injuries. I can't even run 'em all down, but suffice it to say that after we lost our All Pro center, Maurice Pouncey, I'm not sure we even have a first string offensive lineman starting. Mendenhall, Polamalu out again, too, but the big hole in our team is our pass coverage, just horrible. Not to take anything away from Hassellbeck, 'cause truth is he looked good. But this is Tennesse, a team that hadn't won a game all season- till last night.

It is going to be a long season for Steeler fans...
Actually, the Titans did have a win. It was against the Saints.

For the Steelers, yeah, this is going to be one of their off years. They're going to have a lot of thinking to do when it comes to Polamalu. He was one of the best defenders in the league but he's not what he used to be and he's getting injured a lot.

Maze Runner
10-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Actually, the Titans did have a win. It was against the Saints.

For the Steelers, yeah, this is going to be one of their off years. They're going to have a lot of thinking to do when it comes to Polamalu. He was one of the best defenders in the league but he's not what he used to be and he's getting injured a lot.

Oh, I thought I heard one of the announcers say they hadn't.

It doesn't look good for Troy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-polamalus-days-might-be-numbered-656648/

thothguard51
10-13-2012, 10:00 PM
For Cowgirl fans, I read where Jason Garrett is going to simplify the game plan for Romeo by relieving him of some of his responsibility on the line. Its hoped this will prevent Romeo from feeling he has to do it all...

mirandashell
10-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Romeo?

thothguard51
10-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Romeo?

You know, Tony Romeo....

mirandashell
10-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Ah...him.

I take it you don't think much of his intelligence? LOL!

thothguard51
10-14-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't blame Romeo for all the Cowgirl's troubles, but the cowgirl's are last in the NFL in 3rd down scoring.

I would say Romeo's problems of over throwing the ball, bad reads, and the interceptions and fumbles are a big problem for the cowgirl's...

Shadow Dragon
10-15-2012, 10:07 AM
I swear, the Ravens are masters at winning close games. Someone how, someway, when it's close, they end up winning. I just hope they continue that against a Texans team that'll probably be playing with a chip on their shoulders.

Lavern08
10-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Yesterday's win was probably the last one for the Skins for a while. :Shrug:

Shadow Dragon
10-16-2012, 04:53 AM
Raven's lose both Webb and Lewis for the season. Webb is probably the bigger hit. He's the best defensive back on the team right now and a big playmaker. For Lewis, he's good but I think it is time for him to retire. In a dream scenario, Lewis retires, the Ravens fire their defensive coordinator, and Ray becomes the new DC for the team.

thothguard51
10-16-2012, 04:58 AM
In a dream scenario, Lewis retires, the Ravens fire their defensive coordinator, and Ray becomes the new DC for the team.

Even a Redskin fan would approve of this scenario. What ever Ray does, I wish him well...

mirandashell
10-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Yesterday's win was probably the last one for the Skins for a while. :Shrug:

I'll take it too, thanks! Your boys did my boys a major favour!

So.... Houston Texans? Not so good against the big boys then?

Maze Runner
10-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Raven's lose both Webb and Lewis for the season. Webb is probably the bigger hit. He's the best defensive back on the team right now and a big playmaker. For Lewis, he's good but I think it is time for him to retire. In a dream scenario, Lewis retires, the Ravens fire their defensive coordinator, and Ray becomes the new DC for the team.

What a total draaag! When the Steelers are in the running, that's where my loyalty goes. But when they're not, the Ravens are an easy team for me to pull for. They're in our division. I'm a big fan of any defense that keeps an offense set on their heels. I dig the whole Ray Lewis, spiritual kind of inspired play. Plus I lived in Baltimore for a time when I was a kid.

I've not given up on the Steelers yet, but I'd guess that a lot of us have secondary teams that we root for when all is lost. Baltimore has always been one for me. Teams have a personality, right? It's funny how some appeal to us and others don't. Some of my other favorites this year are the 49ers, the Bears, and I have to admit to being drawn in by the story that's the Houston Texans.

That said, and I wonder if any of you do this, when I'm watching a game that doesn't have the Pittsburgh Steelers on one side of the ball, I am immediately pulling for whichever team is losing at the moment. Something about a comeback that's so compelling. Plus, I actually believe that by pulling for the team that's behind, I can will a more competitive game. I believe I do have that kind of telekinetic power!

If only...

mirandashell
10-19-2012, 03:15 PM
How are Skins fans feeling about the team's new name?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/hail-pigskins-two-newspapers-now-refuse-washington-football-212138986--nfl.html

Vandal
10-19-2012, 03:40 PM

Ray Lewis and Ravens say he's taking a stab at a possible return.

Maze Runner
10-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Some great football today. Unfortunate that Ravens/Texans and Giants/Skins are opposite each other. I'll switch back and forth.

Then the Steelers play the Bengals tonight.

thothguard51
10-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Unsure how I feel about the Redskins name.

I don't see it as an insult, but then I am not a Native American or other minority dealing with subtle forms of racism and bigotry, so I can understand how the name can make others feel excluded.

This has been a topic of discussion in and around Washington DC for over 20 years and there are those for and against a name change. Still, it has not stopped people from attending the games or rooting for the team and until that happens, I don't see Danial Snyder considering the name change a high priority. Especially considering the $$$ involved in changing the name.

Anyway, today's game against the NY Giants is a big one for both teams and don't let no one tell you differently. The Giants want to stay atop the NFC east and they also remember the Redskins beat them twice last year. For the Redskins, this is their first conference game and RGIII first taste of the NFC east and the Giants have a top rated front four.

Should be interesting...

mirandashell
10-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Have to admit I usually call them the Skins. But it's not something considered that important by fans here. For obvious reasons.

Are there the same objections to Kansas City's name?

Shadow Dragon
10-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Well, there's no other way of putting it, the Raven's got their asses kicked. After this season is over, they need to fire their coordinators. The offense has never been consistent under Cam and the defense has gone completely down the drain with this new defensive coordinator.

thothguard51
10-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Eli Manning, the fourth quarter come back kid.

I can see in the future that Griffin may very well achieve this status as well, if he gets receivers who can outrun the defenders and CATCH the damn ball...

As to Moss fumbling the ball, I don't really blame him. He covered the ball and it was just punched out of his arms by the defender. Skins have been attempting to do the same all year. You can see it when their defense in tackling.

All in all, even in a loss, it was a great game to watch. Kept the fans of both teams on the edge of their seats.

Scottish Writer
10-24-2012, 02:35 PM
So excited for the Pats v Rams over here in London. I love American Football, we get a live Thursday night (Friday morning here) game and two live games on a Sunday.

What are the American fans thoughts about games coming over here? Looks like two in 2013. Are you unhappy if your choosen team loses a home game to play in London?

p.s. Texans for the SuperBowl will make me a hell of a lot of cash! :D

mirandashell
10-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Guess how I'm feeling after watching the Monday Night game?

:hooray:would be about right!

And welcome back, Brian!

Shadow Dragon
10-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Tampa Bay is making a nice come back from the hole they dug themselves into this season. Three straight games with Freeman throwing for over three hundred yards and Vincent Jackson is finally shining as their number one receiver.

Also, the Redskins vs Steelers game should be good. It'll be a big test for RG3. It's hard to say who'll win.

mirandashell
10-26-2012, 07:22 PM
The way the Steelers are playing at the minute, I don't think it is! LOL!

Maze Runner
10-26-2012, 07:31 PM
The way the Steelers are playing at the minute, I don't think it is! LOL!

Damn, that hurt.

Shadow Dragon
10-26-2012, 07:46 PM
The Steelers are a good home team and this is a home game for them. Though if it was in DC instead, yeah, I'd pick the Redskins without thinking twice.

Maze Runner
10-26-2012, 07:51 PM
The Steelers are a good home team and this is a home game for them. Though if it was in DC instead, yeah, I'd pick the Redskins without thinking twice.

It will be a tough game even at home. It's funny, last night I was watching A Football Life (Eddie Debartolo) and I was thinking about this season and which teams I would be shocked not to see in the hunt come December. I'll be honest and say that this year, no, if the Steelers are not in the hunt it would not surprise me that much. Teams that I expect to be still in the running come finale time: Ravens, Giants, Niners, Texans, Bears, Falcons, who else?

Shadow Dragon
10-26-2012, 08:25 PM
It will be a tough game even at home. It's funny, last night I was watching A Football Life (Eddie Debartolo) and I was thinking about this season and which teams I would be shocked not to see in the hunt come December. I'll be honest and say that this year, no, if the Steelers are not in the hunt it would not surprise me that much. Teams that I expect to be still in the running come finale time: Ravens, Giants, Niners, Texans, Bears, Falcons, who else?
I'd add the Packers to that list. They seemed to have fixed whatever issues they had and have beaten both the Bears and 49ers. Beat the 49ers quite badly, actually.

And while I don't expect it, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Seahawks and Broncos hang in there to get to the second round of the playoffs or further.

Maze Runner
10-26-2012, 08:58 PM
I'd add the Packers to that list. They seemed to have fixed whatever issues they had and have beaten both the Bears and 49ers. Beat the 49ers quite badly, actually.

And while I don't expect it, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Seahawks and Broncos hang in there to get to the second round of the playoffs or further.

Definitely, the Packers, and gotta add the Pats as well. Hard to see how they don't end up at the top of the AFC East.

http://www.nfl.com/standings

mirandashell
10-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Damn, that hurt.

Sorry, mate!

thothguard51
10-26-2012, 10:01 PM
What will be interesting with the Skin's / Steeler's game is if the Skins will be able to run the ball with Morris. Steeler's have a very good defense against the run and a very good home record.

RGIII is good and he will get better as the seasons pass, but he still needs bonafide receivers to catch the ball and gain yards after the catch. He will also need the offense line to protect him from having to scramble so much.

Steeler's and Skin's have a long history against each other, so this should be a good game, win, lose, or draw...

Shadow Dragon
10-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Definitely, the Packers, and gotta add the Pats as well. Hard to see how they don't end up at the top of the AFC East.

http://www.nfl.com/standings
The Pats havent' played well this season but yeah, there isn't too much competition for winning that division. The only team that could sneak past them would be the Dolphins.

Maze Runner
10-27-2012, 05:43 PM
What will be interesting with the Skin's / Steeler's game is if the Skins will be able to run the ball with Morris. Steeler's have a very good defense against the run and a very good home record.

RGIII is good and he will get better as the seasons pass, but he still needs bonafide receivers to catch the ball and gain yards after the catch. He will also need the offense line to protect him from having to scramble so much.

Steeler's and Skin's have a long history against each other, so this should be a good game, win, lose, or draw...

They do have a history. But does that mean the Steelers have to dress like it's still 1934?!

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-throwback-uniforms-are-creating-quite-the-buzz-659370/

Shadow Dragon
10-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Well, I thought the Redskins vs Steelers game was going to be good but it's become a blowout. Once again, the Redskins defense are letting them down. Steelers get the ball and take up a ton of time and cap off the drive with a touchdown or field goal each time, leaving little time and plenty of pressure on the Redskins' offense.

A couple other big blowouts going on, Falcons easily beating the Eagles and the Dolphins are walking all over the Jets.

And oddly enough, it seems like the best game turned out to be the Jaguars vs the Packers. For this one game, the Jaguars are really trying their damnedest.

Seems like the best game is turning about to be Jaguars vs Packers.

thothguard51
10-28-2012, 11:18 PM
For the Skins, too many dropped balls and Morris can't run against the Steelers defense.

mirandashell
10-29-2012, 12:22 AM
For feck's sake, Chicago! Are you trying to kill me?

mirandashell
10-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Damn, that hurt.

And I was totally wrong! Well done to your boys.

Lavern08
10-29-2012, 01:08 AM
For the Skins, too many dropped balls and Morris can't run against the Steelers defense.

QFT - *Sigh* :(

Snowstorm
10-29-2012, 01:17 AM
I loved those Steelers' uniforms! Hubby thought the 'skins' uniforms reminded him of Ronald McDonald and the Steelers' looked like the Hamburgler. Ha.

Shadow Dragon
10-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Damn, Giants easily beating the Cowboys so far.

thothguard51
10-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Congrats to the Da Bears...

Skins fans need the Cowgirls to loose. We want the Cowgirls off balance when we meet them for the first time on Thanksgiving. So, Go Giants...

The Eagles lost big time today too so the NFC east looks to be owned by the Giants, but I think the Skins can take the Eagles.

As to my Skins, RGIII is a young but mature QB. He has a lot more years ahead of him if he is not injured. He brings me hope that I will see more wins than losses in the near future.

Next years draft/free agency for the Skins...toss up between do we draft/trade/sign speedy receivers or big-speedy safety's? I think we need a bit of both. Pass defense is the main reason for at least two of the Skins losses

Shadow Dragon
10-29-2012, 02:30 AM
I think the number one need for the 'Skins is a great pass rusher. That would help their defense big time.

Maze Runner
10-29-2012, 01:39 PM

You called that shot. RGIII did all he could do. As fast as he is, he can't throw the ball and catch it too! I think what impresses me most about him is his poise for a rookie QB. I agree, this guy could be something special. Containing him was what I was worried about going into that game.

Maze Runner
10-29-2012, 01:40 PM
And I was totally wrong! Well done to your boys.

You're lucky I don't know how to hold a grudge.

Maze Runner
10-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Hoping all you guys on the East Coast, Lavern, Shadow Dragon, thothguard51, Jersey Chick, etc, will be okay over the next few days. Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Shadow Dragon
10-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Thankfully I'm in the western part of Maryland and in a mountainous area that protects us a bit from storms. Still got plenty of rain and wind, but nothing like what the people closer to the coast or farther up it got.

Maze Runner
11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
So who's everyone got today? Steelers play the Giants, the 6-2 defending champs. Looks like I'm gonna get it, 10 am our time. Really looking forward to it, a big test for the Steelers.

thothguard51
11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Me, I am hoping Cam Newton does not come out of his second year slump today against me Skins and RGIII. The problem is, with the Skins secondary, and poor pass rush, Cam may find some confidence and break out...

Maze Runner
11-04-2012, 08:18 PM
I think pass defense is Steelers' vulnerable spot too. I'm worried about Cruz and about Eli, who's having a pretty good year. Good luck Nick!

Maze Runner
11-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Ah, just realized that the Steelers/Giants game is the 1:30 game out here. Whew, for a minute there I thought I wasn't going to get it. Got the Skins and the Panthers, and the Broncos and the Bengals early. Gonna be a fun day, no matter what. Everyone enjoy their Sunday. Only halfway through the season, but come February we're gonna miss our football!

Maze Runner
11-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Wait, the time changed overnight? I am so out of it sometimes, I amaze myself.

mirandashell
11-04-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm really hoping the BBC don't make the same mistake they did last week and forget that BST finished and the game is on an hour later.

We missed the whole first quarter last week!

Shadow Dragon
11-04-2012, 11:30 PM
I swear, the Raven's defense is horrible in this game. They can't get to the quarterback and their corners can't cover. Hey, here's an idea, since the four man rush has yet to get you anywhere near the quarterback, either drop everyone or try rushing more people. But you don't keep doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting a different result.

Also, damn, the Bears are just destroying the Titans. 31 - 2 in the first half. That is just insane.

mirandashell
11-05-2012, 12:20 AM
DA BEARS!

:hooray:

Shadow Dragon
11-05-2012, 01:40 AM
The Browns lost that game more so than the Ravens won it, but a win is a win. Honestly, part of me wanted them to lose after the offense went into a funk after the first quarter, then maybe they'd be more willing to get rid of Cam, the offensive coordinator.

In more happy news, that game between the Dolphins and Colts was really good. Both rookie quarterbacks are playing well. Though with the Colts sitting at 5-3, I wouldn't be shocked to see them sneak into the playoffs. They're doing better than a lot of other AFC teams right now.

Maze Runner
11-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Big win for the Steelers. I was most concerned about our pass coverage, but damn if they're not coming along. My game ball goes to Isaac Redman, just back from an injury rushes for 147. We had three great returns too, two from Rainey who just fell to the ground after the second one that went for 68 yards. Don't know what happened to him, been waiting for this guy to do his stuff. Hope he's okay. Antonio Brown left with an injury, too. So Steelers are 5-3, out of the last seven games five are divisional. A couple of bad calls, I thought, starting with a pass interference call that was very ?able, a 48 yard penalty if I'm not mistaken. I wonder how the rest of you feel about these pass interference calls that can take a team all the way downfield. Phil Simms called the game, and he thinks the pros ought to penalize a max of 15 yds the way college football does.

That's 5 out of 8 games, not seven. Next week KC, then San Diego and Dallas in mid December.

thothguard51
11-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Well, today's game for the Skins was the low point of the season so far. Cam Newton did good, but he did not beat the Skins as much as our Defense let us down and the receivers who dropped passes.

What the hell was Shanny thinking, 4th and goal from the 2 yard line and have RGIII run the ball to the right. A blind man would have known that coming. If you are going to use RGIII running skills, you can't keep giving them the same things they have seen in films.

Damn I hope Atlanta beats the Cowgirls tonight...

Lavern08
11-05-2012, 11:32 PM
... What the hell heck was Shanny thinking, 4th and goal from the 2 yard line and have RGIII run the ball to the right.

A blind man would have known seen that coming.

If you are going to use RGIII running skills, you can't keep giving them the same things they have seen in films...

*SIGH* :(

Shadow Dragon
11-09-2012, 02:36 PM
With the latest win, the Colts are six and three, and have the inside tract for the wild card spot. And, they still have both their games against the Texans coming up, meaning they do have a shot of winning the division. Also, the Texans have a chance to lose one Sunday against the Bears. That division, could come down to the final week.

Maze Runner
11-09-2012, 10:26 PM
It's gonna get interesting now. http://www.nfl.com/standings

mirandashell
11-10-2012, 12:09 AM
I would like to ask a serious question. Do the Eagles offence not like Michael Vick? The amount of times he gets hit is ridiculous. And I'm starting to think it could be deliberate sometimes. They barely talk to him, they certainly don't seem happy and some of the blocking is criminal

Maze Runner
11-10-2012, 08:00 PM
I would like to ask a serious question. Do the Eagles offence not like Michael Vick? The amount of times he gets hit is ridiculous. And I'm starting to think it could be deliberate sometimes. They barely talk to him, they certainly don't seem happy and some of the blocking is criminal

I watched Inside the NFL last night. Ron Jaworski, an ex QB pointed out that Eagles have four new starting lineman. Phil Simms said that the Eagles have to start keeping one receiver in to block on pass plays. I remember some controversy regarding officials not calling roughing the passer on Vick as quickly as they do on other QB's. The suspicion seemed to be that Vick is so athletic, such a threat for the run that it was acceptable. Pretty sure Philadelphia plays Dallas this week. Meanwhile, your Bears are looking good!

mirandashell
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
They are, aren't they? As long as they keep everyone healthy.

mirandashell
11-10-2012, 08:56 PM
As for Vick, hmmmm.... I don't know. Yes he is athletic but he won't stay that way for very long if he keeps getting hit like this.

Maze Runner
11-10-2012, 08:56 PM
They look good! That defense is ferocious. Who do they have this week, do you know?

Yeah, Philly has a lot of problems. Let's see if they can beat the thoroughly troubled Cowboys.

mirandashell
11-10-2012, 08:59 PM
We've got the Houston Texans so this could be important. Specially if Detroit and Packers win.

Maze Runner
11-10-2012, 09:01 PM
You're in a competitive division this year. Texans! Could be a tough game. Steelers have the Chiefs, but one thing about the Steelers is they play down or up, depending on the competition. So I don't take any game for granted.

Maze Runner
11-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Just saw that Bears/Texans is the Sunday night game. Early, I've got Giants/Bengals or Bucs/Chargers. Then Cowboys/Eagles. Steelers play Monday Night.

mirandashell
11-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I actually be able to see the Bears for once! Well... record it anyway and watch it the next day. And it's for the second time. Some seasons I get to see them once only

Maze Runner
11-10-2012, 09:15 PM
You ever think of looking for a stream? I've done it a few times. The quality isn't always that good, and sometimes you lose it in the middle of the game and have to look for a new stream, etc. I've watched them in Spanish when I couldn't find a good quality English stream. Not that I speak Spanish.

It's getting chilly in LA. Good football weather.

mirandashell
11-10-2012, 09:22 PM
I have thought about it but my puter is pretty old and probably wouldn't be able to cope. It collapses quite often just loading the NFL site so.....