PDA

View Full Version : When It Was Winter is calling for submissions

When It Was Winter
09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
We are a new journal that would like to showcase a variety of styles. If you are interested please have a look at our submission guidelines page (http://whenitwaswinter.weebly.com/submission-guidelines.html). At this time we are unable to offer any kind of payment, but please do not let this stop you from giving our site a look.

mirandashell
09-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Can I ask who would hold the rights to the work you publish?

regdog
09-07-2012, 10:57 PM
MOD NOTE

A little more information in thread would be appreciated.

When It Was Winter
09-07-2012, 11:17 PM
At this moment we are sorting out the issue of publishing rights. We will respond to your question with the exact details when we receive them.

Little Ming
09-08-2012, 03:05 AM
You might also want to proofread your website.

Silver King
09-08-2012, 03:34 AM
At this moment we are sorting out the issue of publishing rights. We will respond to your question with the exact details when we receive them.
You should've had that sorted out before advertising for submissions. In the meantime, writers have no way of knowing which rights they are giving away for free to your pub.

When It Was Winter
09-25-2012, 11:55 PM
We have finally worked out the issue about an authors rights to their work. All rights revert to the authors upon publication.

mirandashell
09-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Ah! Thank you for coming back to let us know.

When It Was Winter
09-26-2012, 12:04 AM
We accept fiction, poetry, and short nonfiction works. The goal of our journal is to publish work from authors just starting out, although we will accept work from authors who have previously published work. At this moment we do not have any specific restrictions or preferences on the genre of the work that is being submitted.
As it has been previously stated When It Was Winter is a new journal. We are still working out some of the smaller issues that come with running a journal. Please do not let this affect your decision on whether you will submit work to us or not.
We would love to see the work that the authors on this site are producing, and consider it for publishing in our journal.

mirandashell
09-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Are you accepting flash fiction? I've got a couple of pieces that I wouldn't mind submitting.

CaoPaux
09-26-2012, 01:23 AM
We have finally worked out the issue about an authors rights to their work. All rights revert to the authors upon publication.
If you return all rights to the author, then you have no right to publish the work.

Little Ming
09-26-2012, 02:00 AM

Elsewhere on the website:

When it was Winter holds all rights to the work submitted

I think you have it backwards here. Rights should only be granted after there is an agreement between the parties. Submission, per se, should not grant any rights to the publishers. At least, this is the standard I am used to.

And as CaoPaux pointed out if "all rights revert to the authors upon publication" you do not have the rights to publish the works.

We accept fiction, poetry, and short nonfiction works. The goal of our journal is to publish work from authors just starting out, although we will accept work from authors who have previously published work. At this moment we do not have any specific restrictions or preferences on the genre of the work that is being submitted.
As it has been previously stated When It Was Winter is a new journal. We are still working out some of the smaller issues that come with running a journal. Please do not let this affect your decision on whether you will submit work to us or not.
We would love to see the work that the authors on this site are producing, and consider it for publishing in our journal.

I believe you are well-intentioned, but publishing is not a learn-as-you-go business. Please take time to familiarize yourselves with the industry before taking away people's rights. (And yes, if you publish someone's work you are taking (some of) their rights.)

I noted before that you needed to proofread your website. Most of the problems I saw before are still there. This is not encouraging.

When It Was Winter
09-26-2012, 11:26 PM
I'd like to thank you informing us upon the issue of publishing rights, as well as pointing out "problems" with our site. After some consideration we have decided to terminate the site and the idea of persuing a literary journal, until we have futher insight and experience with the publishing industry, and can better plan out the journal, because as you say, "publishing is not a learn as you go business". Hopefully in the future we will be able to restart as a better planned out journal and not run into issues like this again.
Thank you for your observations about the "problems" that you encountered with our site and journal.

Williebee
09-27-2012, 04:29 AM
You deserve a lot of props for addressing this so forthrightly.

Stick around. There are people here who can help. Honesty, humility, and a clear vision can take you a long way.

Good luck, folks.

Little Ming
09-27-2012, 05:03 AM
You deserve a lot of props for addressing this so forthrightly.

Stick around. There are people here who can help. Honesty, humility, and a clear vision can take you a long way.

Good luck, folks.

Ditto.

Also want to point out that the Bewares (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22) forum is a good place to learn about what to do and what not to do.

I look forward to your future endeavors. :)

Medievalist
09-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Thank you for your observations about the "problems" that you encountered with our site and journal.

Stick around. There are a lot of people here who have been-there-and-done that.

They can help you navigate the rapids.

regdog
09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I'll close this now.