Hi! Book written, can't seem to get title on cover!

Status
Not open for further replies.

espresso

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Well, so many of you were instrumental in motivating me to write an e-book. I've written a short one, and want to get it up and running tonight. I'm using one of my photos for the cover; all I want to do is float the text (title and maybe my name as author) over the photo. There is a focal point on the photo, and I'd like to match the text to that; other than that, that's it! However, I've now spent 2 hrs fooling around w/MS Word ('08 version) and can't figure out how to do this! I've imported photo to a basic Word doc, double-clicked on photo to get layout and put photo behind text, used the Word preset text styles to get a text box (but don't like the color) and did manage to get part of the title on the cover, but it wouldn't fit it all in and wouldn't wrap it.
So, now I figure, well, I'll just put the 1st three words and put three dots . . I'm really desperate to get this up tonight - long story.
But I would like the color of the font to match the color of this one focal point item in the pic .

Any suggestions welcome! Thank you!

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
Download Gimp (a free image-editing program), open your image there and add the appropriately-sized text. Then save the image as a jpeg.

There are many tutorials on the Internet. Just doing this procedure is a small learning curve.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
You're just going to be too limited trying to place text in Microsoft Word. You'll need to use either Gimp or Inkscape, which are both free. :)

espresso

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, there. Gimp isn't avail. w/Mac; used Inkscape, got pic uploaded - all I want to do is type the title and then, in another place on cover, my name - can you give me a hint how to start? All these buttons! The "cover" is just the photo, bled to edges. Just want to type over it.
Also, I am going to use KDP Select Amazon - does anyone know what size JPEG I need?

Thanks so much!

espresso

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Brian and Gale!

espresso

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
OK, all, I somehow figured out how to do a cover -- but inkscape doesn't allow me to save as .jpeg!!!
What alternative can I use if I'm going to be publishing to Amazon KDP Select? Thx!!

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Well, it's a complicated answer as to why you can't use "save as" to save as jpeg from inkscape.

Since you want to save in a rasterized format, you need to export the document as a bitmap. It should give you the option to export into a jpeg file.

I can't tell you the steps, since I'm not 100% familiar with that program... But can you figure it out from there?

espresso

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, again. Well, between the time I last wrote and now, somehow the text moved over -- I don't know how, and I can't get it back where it was. Suggestions? Thx.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com

It's not something I can help you with without seeing the problem.

Perhaps your cover image is pushing the text over due to some quirk of the program. Try placing the text in a layer above the layer the image is in.

By the way, we do have graphic designers in this forum who might be willing to charge a nominal fee to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.