Make $$ on Your Blog

SeeEmilywrite

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a blog for about a year, and in July when blogger allowed you to put ads on your blog I decided to put a few ads up give it a try. People make a crapload on adsense, so I thought "Finally my blog will bring me millions!" So far in the past six months or so, Ive made less than enough to buy a fast food hamburger. I put the ads up there really just as an experiment to see if I "could" make $$ on my blog, but I don't really have the time to promote it, or really the desire to...so I've made no money.

I found a link today, where some company wants to host adsense blogs, where they put your ads up there half the time and theirs half the time. Supposedly, they are going to promote the page, and bring in readers. I'm going to move my blog there, as another experiment to see what happens. It's free, so really if i can buy a stick of gum after its all over...I'm doing better than I was before.

I get a cut of their profits on the people I refer (of course...thus somewhat promoting this post), so heres the inevitable weblink, so I can get a cut of their half of your stick of gum if you sign up:

http://www.writingup.com?referer=3953

The website claims you are going to "make a killing". I'm going to go ahead and tell you...no you're not. Yes, you "could" make thousands a month, but I suggest you bank on the stick of gum....maybe if you're lucky a whole pack.

I'm posting this as a lead for people who may ALREADY have a blog, that they ARE NOT getting paid for, that they might like the option of getting paid for. Or people interested in giving adsense a try (like me). I think writing for free (which this very well may be) is absurd. There are however people who live off adsense, so it works for someone. This could be a fun experiment.

I just joined this, so I don't know that its going to be profitable at all. But, if they're going to promote the thing, I'll be better off than the one I have now, and if they really do promote it like they claim, it could be a legitamate $$ source.

SeeEmilywrite

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
I worked on this, this morning. Then checked my adsense account a little later. 3 hours in, we can make a fast food purchase. :hooray:

So, maybe this is a good deal. I'll keep you guys posted (should anyone ever read this thread). Let me know if you sign up.

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of this. What if you have adsense running on other pages? Once you sign up for adsense, you can put it on all your sites. Do they take a cut from everything or just what your page makes through them?

SeeEmilywrite

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
This place just uses your code half the time on their site, I imagine its written into the code on the site itself. So if you went to read my blog and your friend Bob did as well, you would see my ads, but Bob would see theirs.

Once you have an adsense account, you can put adsense on your own personal website, your ads would be up there 100% of the time, so you would make all the profits. Without any kind of serious web traffic, those profits are way small. The one thing this site has going for it right now is some serious web traffic. I've seen more traffic this morning than I have on my other blog in the past year.

penultimatesaro

Signed Up (mmm, Juicy Fruit Gum)

I decided to give this a try, although I am completely new to Adsense. In reading through the Writing Up website, I have discovered that some users seem to believe that their Adsense account has been banned due to their association with the Writing Up site. Should I be concerned?

I would love to hear about any one else's experiences with (or opinions of) this site, as well as any recommendations for my blog, which I imagine will touch on a variety of topics.

The inevitible link to my shiny new blog: http://www.writingup.com/blog/Mikaere

SeeEmilywrite

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
It's against google adsense rules to ask people to click on your ads, get people to click on your ads, or click on your own ads....they consider that fraud...which it is. The people concerned with losing their accounts are people who were giving clicks on ads like rep point on AW. People were getting crazy amount of clicks on ads for the content they had, which sends out a red flag to google...and some of them had their accounts banned.

I personally havent had that many ads clicked on. I would log into google and check for a while, if it looks like you're getting a lot of clicks on ads, I would consider removing your adsense from the site, at least for a little while. I personally haven't had a problem (I say after one day) and have gotten literally twenty times the page views for my writing in one day than I have in the past year on blogger.

Mrs Wolfie

Chilean Wine- what a treat!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to give this a whirl, if nothing else to use it on a daily basis as a stream of conscious type way to get information out of my head.

I don't have a personal website to link to when I applied for adsense so I just used www.writingup.com.

I'll let you know if I can buy a pack of gum later!

:tongue

SeeEmilywrite

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
I removed my adsense account today from writingup. My reasoning was that I referred several people, some of which I did not know personally. Since my ads were going on their site 10% of the time, I was going to be held responsibile by google for their content as well. Since I'm not even sure who all of them are on the site, I can't monitor that and for the $1 a day I was making so far I'm not getting paid enough to do so.

This may still be a good outlet for people to write on. If nothing else my writing got almost 1000 views in two days. Thats insane. If you want to showcase something you're working on, there are definatly people on this site who are willing to read all about it.

I might give it a few weeks and then add my adsense back up there. Give google a chance to clean out the people on the site taht were abusing the system.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I need to discuss this with my webmaster/husband. Our web service already has a blog system that I post on. I've been looking for something like this.

ETA Jason has looked things over and we're going with google adsense instead. We'll see how man Arby's trips we can make!

:banana:

We shall see!

Last edited:

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
I would be very wary of this site -- I've heard the same thing.

The deal with adsense is, you CAN make plenty of good money with it. However, once banned by google, forever banned. Plus, google has a tendency to ban anyone else who's ever used your computer to access their access account, ban anyone using the same ISP, ban your family members and SO's (I suspect they run a credit check on you when you sign up and spot any credit items that are combined with family members -- i.e., a shared loan, or say you once lived someplace where somebody else was paying for rent or utilities), and they will ban anyone who's had an account under the same domain. Among other things. They're VERY unreasonable about this.

Which means if you want to do adsense, it's really really critical that you not put your code on ANY questionable site or under any questionable domain and make sure your family members, SOs, and anyone you've had a financial relationship with, are also playing by the rules.

With this site -- all it takes is one adsense advertiser who's gotten banned and has put code on this site. If google wants to be picky, they could ban everyone else who's put their code under that domain.

If you want to do adsense, my reccomendation is:

1. Register a domain. Use the wayback machine and google's cache and whatnot to verify that this domain has never been banned from google or otherwise used for nefarious purchases. ASK google to make sure it's okay before putting your code on it.

2. Use a reputable, genuine, ISP, not any ISP associated with anything naughty. Geocities is probably out also. Expect to pay for this in the range of $20-25 a month.

3. Read Adsense TOS thoroughly. Create a unique content with genuine content (YOUR content). Research everything you put on this site thoroughly for copyright violations. They will ban you if you violate someone's copyright.

4. Play by their rules.

5. Aggressively watch for plagarization of YOUR articles. I've already stomped on one person who took my page part and parcel (inclduing adsense code) and put it on THEIR site. Problem was, a lot of the content on THEIR site was stolen material, not just mine.

And then, if you've got a good site that's getting good traffic -- yep, you might make some money. Maybe even a large amount of money.

(And you can always use your blog to REFER to your own site. "I just put up a new article! Come looky!")

Leva

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
Hey- do any of you know how to cancel your writingup.com account? I am concerned about my adsense account... is it enough to just erase my adsense information?

Last edited:

SeeEmilywrite

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
You go into "my account" then click "edit" and then just delete your adsense code off of the website.

I deleted mine, and for what its worth put it back a few weeks ago. I think the "problem people" from this site are gone...They've adopted a zero tolerance policy for people who violate google TOS and have removed violators and their content immediatly.

One of my posts was actually #3 in google for my topic a few days ago and has gotten over 1200 views this week. So,the site is doing pretty well in my opinion.

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
I saw the huge warning and panicked. I would love to make more money with google and this seems like a good way, but I am not sure what to do.

Selena_Fai

Registered
Reaction score
Writingup questions

Hey,
I just joined last night. My adsense account is not approved yet. When I signed up for Writingup I did not get a password.

Does anyone know how quickly the passwords are given out? I sent a message to the site owner asking the same question. I am just worried that I have a blog that I can never write in...

Another question as well: I am completely new to this entire blog and adsense stuff so please excuse for ignorance. But can you have 2 blogs with adsense? Do you just add the second site to your adsense account? I know 2 blogs might be difficult to keep up with anyway.

Also, I found blogger party and was wondering about that. In anyone's opinion is writingup better or worse than blogger party and why?

Thanks to everyone for educating a semi-newbie.

Selena

SeeEmilywrite

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
You can use your adsense code on as many sites as you would like. So you could do bloggerparty and writingup if you like.

(Now for the shamless self promotion...If you do blogger party use the link on my sig, unless you know someone else to use.)

Anyway- your adsense code is yours so you can put ads on 2 blogs...6 blogs whatever. You can also use it on your personal websites.

Google has TONS of rules about where you can and can not put their ads, if you violate them you will have your adsense account banned forever. Make sure you read through all of those and know what the rules are before you start putting the ads up on things. I'm relativly new to the adsense game (like 6 months) and am still learning the ins and outs.