Inspiring Artists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one who can lose vast amounts of time wandering through the internet looking at artwork and I'd love to see what great finds everyone's come across.

One of my all time favorites is Lorenzo Eatherington. He and his brother Robin (the writer) have created a whole bunch of fantastic comics.
Here's their blog http://etheringtonbrosportfolio.blogspot.ca/

Who have you found? :D

Rhubix

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say, I was surprised by the diversity already. I'm so surrounded by cartoonists that I forget there's a whole rest of the world out there sometimes! :). I'll have to do a cartoonist / non cartoonist per post.

Cartoon pick: Pascal Campion - too too cute.
http://pascalcampion.blogspot.ca/

Tyler Eldin, incredible fantasy-scapes. (ok a little cartoony haha)
http://www.tyleredlinart.com/Site/home.htm

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
All of the artists on the Spacesick blog (though special mention has to go to the book covers, which are a masterclass in instantly-recognizable minimalism).

Rhubix

Registered
Reaction score

smellycat6464

Registered
Reaction score
While I can't think of any books or films that connect to him (other than select scenes from labyrinth, a nightmare on elm street 5) M.C.Escher continues to serve me as an unending font of inspiration, from writing to my own art.
Heck, I even named a city after that guy, "Escherre." That's how much of a freak I am!

Check out his Metamorphosis III if you want your mind blown :) Favorite work of art. Ever.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
This artist, Bernardo Mota, recently posted for hire here on our boards. I think his work is truly phenomenal!

His portfolio.

Nice use of computer effects.

While I can't think of any books or films that connect to him (other than select scenes from labyrinth, a nightmare on elm street 5) M.C.Escher continues to serve me as an unending font of inspiration, from writing to my own art.
Heck, I even named a city after that guy, "Escherre." That's how much of a freak I am!

Check out his Metamorphosis III if you want your mind blown :) Favorite work of art. Ever.

The first book I recall reading (at age three) was "The Graphic Work of M.C. Escher." It had something of an effect.

In a similar vein:

It's arguable whether this is art or not. I'm inclined to say yes. It's certainly geometrically and optically fascinating:
http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/kic/~akitaoka/index-e.html

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
You didn't post an artist Alessandra_kelly :O
I have a big book of Escher prints on my art-book bookshelf :D

My apologies for the faux pas. I've gone back and fixed it.

I'd like to put in a shout out for Nicole Caulfield, who does very nice colored pencil work and blogs about the practicalities of making and selling art.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
That's very nice work. I've tried using colored pencils like that in the past and the white highlighter muddied things up to no avail. They are really fun to use though.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... picaso is cool. can't really think of any others. will try.

ps neat idea to look about the internet for artwork.
will give that a go. thnx for the tip.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
... picaso is cool. can't really think of any others. will try.

I have to say that the Old Guitarist would probably be on my top ten list. Speaking classics with Picasso already mentioned, I'm a big weird cliche with my love of Gustav Klimt, Vincent van Gogh, and Salvador Dali.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I have to say that the Old Guitarist would probably be on my top ten list. Speaking classics with Picasso already mentioned, I'm a big weird cliche with my love of Gustav Klimt, Vincent van Gogh, and Salvador Dali.

... hey. I like all of them, too, including that Gustav fella. Just took a look at some of his stuff.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
He's amazing. As a fundraiser, I did a collaborative statue of The Kiss when I was in high school. Each of us made one segment of the statue without fully collaborating or matching the pieces up, and the final product ended up having six hands for some reason. I think we all subconsciously picked up on the way he exaggerated form in unexpected ways to accentuate the image's sensuality--in this case we all zeroed in on the hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.