Chemical Burns to the eyes, blindness, and surgery

evila_elf

Registered
Reaction score
My character became blind due to a nasty chemical burn from an explosion.

I need to know about transplant surgery. I did a bunch of poking around online and couldn't find enough information about cornea transplants if you were blind. Most of the info was for cataracts and some instances where the person became blind rather early on.

Story takes place in the UK, if that makes a difference.

Main questions:

1) Would the doctor mention transplant surgery right away after the injury? Or would he wait for a later checkup? (minor detail, just curious)

2) I read that there isn't a huge waiting list for donors in the US, but could find no statistics for the UK.

3) Is there a set time that is advisable to wait before the surgery is performed? I know the eyes need to be fully healed from the chemical burns.

4) Are there circumstances that would make the transplant not an option? I would like my character to find out that he isn't eligible for the transplant.

There has been no damage to his optic nerves, but the burn is fairly deep. From what I could tell, the operation would be Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty. Does that sound right?

Thanks to anyone who can help! I'm afraid that my lack of medical terminology really slows me down when I am trying to search for things.