Re-nudging?

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I searched for this question, but I might be using the word search terms.

When is it appropriate to send another email nudging an agent reading a full? I send a nudge email at four months and got an auto-response that the agent would be out of the office for a not insignificant period of time (like not a day or two). Should I assume the agent will read that email or should I nudge again at like six months?

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
If they never responded to your first nudge, I'd nudge again at six months -- providing that they're back in the office.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
I agree that the six-month mark seems reasonable. Good luck!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I would nudge again a month later, and after they STILL don't respond, I would move on.

DeborahN

I would nudge again at 6 months, then, as Undercover said, move on. You could mark your calendar to nudge in another three months, but I wouldn't expect anything at that point.

But hey, you never know. Good luck!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I would nudge very politely once a month until they reply - never give up on a full

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I want to offer the agent revisions that were prompted by an R&R, if the agent hasn't read the full yet. Would that alter my nudging timeline or should I just chill out? :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
You can mention it when you nudge the second time, but like I said doing three times and more or even every month there after seems obsessive to me. It might even warrant the agent to block your address. Pressing the issue isn't going to make them like it more. There are just some agents that don't waste their time in responding even when a full is requested. Believe me, everyone goes through it. It sucks, I know. But when they are not responding to your emails, it's a clear indication they are not interested. There is really nothing more you can do. Just keep querying other ones and keep writing.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You can mention it when you nudge the second time, but like I said doing three times and more or even every month there after seems obsessive to me. It might even warrant the agent to block your address. Pressing the issue isn't going to make them like it more. There are just some agents that don't waste their time in responding even when a full is requested. Believe me, everyone goes through it. It sucks, I know. But when they are not responding to your emails, it's a clear indication they are not interested. There is really nothing more you can do. Just keep querying other ones and keep writing.

far be it from me to disagree.....but I'm going to.

Agents get busy and reading unsolicited fulls slips down their list of priorities. Some agents are more organised than others about their to-do list and the less organised need reminding.
Here is what (former) agent Nathan Bransford thinks
http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/08/how-often-should-you-follow-up-with.html

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi mayqueen,

With regard to offering a revised version to an agent, Jessica Sinsheimer wrote an excellent blog post regarding how to word the e-mail--my mind is blocking on the link (yay back to school week!), but if you Google her name it should come up...

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Hester, thanks for that advice. The blog post (I think) is here and has excellent advice on how to offer revisions.