PDA

View Full Version : Agent preference on reading full MS (digital or print out)

GuruLord
09-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Just another odd question for the agents that might be stumbling across the boards, or maybe even some writers that have some knowledge about this.

When requesting a full, if you only deal with digital versions, do you prefer to print out the full MS and read it as such, or do you just read it through an e-reader like an IPAD or from your computer?

Was just wondering because I absolutely despise reading my own work on the computer, much less other work (i'm against e-readers lol, I like something tangible in my hands).

It's not a very important question, obviously. Just a tingling curiosity as to agent preferences.

WeaselFire
09-04-2012, 07:24 PM
The agents I know no longer use hard copy. Everything is done on their PC (Neither uses a Mac) in Word. The editors I know also no longer use hard copy (not sure one of them is old enough to remember paper...).

One publisher I know uses hard copy, but she publishes a small journal that has almost no professional authors. Her editing job is all digital.

Jeff

Old Hack
09-04-2012, 08:55 PM
I know a couple of agents who read requested manuscripts on their iPads; I don't know any who print them out and read them in hard copy.

Phaeal
09-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Considering the expense of printing out book-length MSS, I'd imagine very few agents would request a digital submission and then render it paper.

If they wanted paper, they'd ask the writer to send it. ;)

MandyHubbard
09-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I read on a kindle. My interns forward MSs via email (it's like MAGIC!)to the kindle as soon as they arrive in my slush email box.

I have a folder on my kindle labeled "to reject" so that I can move it over as soon as I've decided to stop reading.

I cannot even IMAGINE trying to print MSs and cart them around. Ick. I feel sorry for the agents of yesteryear. haha.