What would an agent want in this situation?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
To keep things brief, I'm going to simplify the situation a bit, but it is basically as follows.

Say you're querying manuscript "A" and half a dozen agents are reading the full. No ETA on when you'll hear back. Might be tomorrow, might be never. No one has an exclusive.

Now, say you get word from an editor at a major house who says they are interested in project "B" (leaving out long story for how they found out about project B, but it was not via submission). Major editor asks if they can see the full manuscript for project "B" and discuss the possibility of acquiring NA rights to it.
do lot triumph do lot nu goi cam bao tay cho be thoi trang cong so nu ao so mi cong so album anh cuoi dep
Do you contact the agents reading manuscript "A" and tell them of the Editor's interest in manuscript "B" (this time explaining how editor knows of manuscript "B"). OR, do you just wait for agents to say if they're interested in manuscript "A" and then discuss the editor-interest in manuscript "B." OR, do you just send manuscript "B" to the editor and only contact the agents if the editor makes a formal offer?

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wait until you have an offer on manuscript B before you do anything; then at that point, contact all the agents reading the full of manuscript A and let them know.

You wrote,

Major editor asks if they can see the full manuscript for project "B"

If they've not yet read the full then they've only read a partial of it, and a synopsis. Which means that you're still a long way away from an offer. If an offer doesn't come, then there's no point alerting the agents reading your other works, and doing so might well be a point against you.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
I concur with OH and Corinne. Wait until you have an offer in hand. Interest from an editor-without an offer-probably won't make much difference to an agent since it could still end up as a no.

Plus, I trust OH's knowledge and experience in publishing. :)

Good luck!! I hope you do get an offer soon!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Even though a major editor has requested the full, it could take a long time to get a decision from them. They almost always have an agented submission ahead of your manuscript in their reading list.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... well if you tell the agents, they're going to be turning circles for you and trying their utmost to nab you as a client since you've already got something in your pocket. When that happens with competing publishers that's great for an author. With agents I'm not so sure? This writer is one lucky person in any event ;-)

GuruLord

Cake or Death?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
copernicusnerdicus.blogspot.com
Fantastic news!

And just to agree with what everyone else has said, wait until an offer of some sorts is made on project B. This way you have a "secure" fact to tell your prospective agents!

Good luck! I'll be waiting to hear some more good news from you. You're well on your way!