PDA

View Full Version : Where to find non-fiction beta readers???

MovingForwardBook
09-04-2012, 03:31 AM
Am I on the wrong board? Suggestions on where to reach out to beta readers for non-fiction (particularly memoir)? Thank you !
Scott

Pyekett
09-04-2012, 04:05 AM
Scott, I believe you are in the right place, but finding someone right now would be a stroke of luck. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Beta-ing any book is a significant commitment, and likely people don't know you well after only 8 posts. You might try hanging out awhile and sharing in the conversations. Additionally, it will probably help to be specific about the work: how long, what's the topic [ah, I see you mentioned memoir], what timeframe you want to follow, what sort of feedback you expect, etc.

Best of luck & hope your time here is enjoyable.

MovingForwardBook
09-04-2012, 04:18 AM
Thank you for your input! I also have posts up on World Lit Cafe and WAE Network. I posted a link to my website which should provide a good intro in the book. The more I peruse the Water Cooler, the more the various fiction sub-categories seem to dominate the conversations. I'll keep plugging away.

Unimportant
09-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Thank you for your input! I also have posts up on World Lit Cafe and WAE Network. I posted a link to my website which should provide a good intro in the book. The more I peruse the Water Cooler, the more the various fiction sub-categories seem to dominate the conversations. I'll keep plugging away.
NevadaMartin, most people aren't going to be interested in putting in the time and effort to go from website to website to track down information about your book so that they can then put in more time and effort to beta-read for you. If you want people to do you the favour of beta-reading, it's probably better to make it as easy for them as possible. Instead of linking to your website (which some may see as a cheap ploy to drive traffic to your website and away from AW), why not post your beta request here with all the relevent information? Subject, word count, what you're looking for in a beta, what you're offering in return, timeline, etc.

It also doesn't hurt to read the Sticky posts at the top of this subforum. And to be aware that most beta-readers are not interesting in reading an unfinished or unedited manuscript.

thothguard51
09-04-2012, 05:44 AM
For a little insight to what you are asking...

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212171

MovingForwardBook
09-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the input. I tweaked and resubmitted.
Scott