PDA

View Full Version : American Football Question

Perks
01-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Okay, this is bugging me. I'm watching the Patriots and the Broncos and the season's almost over. I've googled it and scanned sporting-goods websites to no avail. I cannot figure out the purpose of those tight bands that the players are wearing just above the elbow.

I'm not talking about the protective elbow-sheath that some of the guys use to keep a little skin on their elbows by game's end. That makes sense. But some of the player have a thin, tight, elasticized band over one or both elbows that does not appear to be decorative. What gives?

William Haskins
01-15-2006, 07:04 AM
sweatbands.

especially for the receivers and other skill players. keeps sweat from dripping from their armpits down their wrists and onto their hands.

tiny
01-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Are you talking about the chopats (I think that's the right spelling)? They relieve pressure (but they're usually worn under the knees). Or, the sweat bands that keep the sweat from rolling down onto their forearms.

Spookster
01-15-2006, 07:16 AM
They have shock absorbing bands for tendon strains or other muscular injuries. Could that be it? (I don't know much about football, but injuries I'm quite familiar with. Hehe.)

Perks
01-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Holy Crap. Poor champ Bailey.

Anyway, thanks for the info! One of those stupid little things that keeps me up nights.

tiny
01-15-2006, 07:43 AM
He shouldn't have slowed down and untucked the ball.

September skies
01-15-2006, 08:01 AM
those aren't bands - those are tattoos

Perks
01-15-2006, 08:03 AM
I know. It was ugly. Like that horror movie thing where the heroine thinks she's safe and she leans against the door/tree/lamppost to catch her breath and the camera is placed just so and we can see the bad guy/alien/monster pick up the fatal trajectory...

But it worked out better for Mr. Bailey than it usually does for Miss NoNameSacrifice. He's still suckin' thin air up there in Denver.

WerenCole
01-15-2006, 09:46 PM
It is kind of like a brace, like a knee brace or something to that affect. People where them all them time, check out your local joggers and I bet at least 1 in 5 have them on one of their knees.

Now, poor Champ Baily my foot, Ben Watson did what he was supposed to do and that call should have been reversed and given my dear Patriots the ball back at the twenty.

All and all though this has been a decent season for the Patriots after what we have gone through. We won our division, won a playoff game and added to our long list of accolades and records befitting our dynasty.

Tom Brady is America's Golden Child. . . men want to be him and women want to be with him (I suppose some men as well).

Please do not mention football again. . . I am still in mourning over this loss.:cry:

tiny
01-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Tom Brady is too nice. I'll take Jake the Snake anyday. :D (and the ball wasn't fumbled into the end zone, though Champ is a doofuss and I hope Shanahan ripped him a new one)

travNastee
01-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Tom Brady is a crybaby and that ball was not in the endzone

WerenCole
01-15-2006, 10:53 PM
careful folks, it is not wise to strike my ire in this time of emotional despondency. . . first it was the Red Sox being swept in the first round now the Patriots are ousted as well. . .

I can take solace in the fact that for one year New England teams dominated everybody (even the MLS Revolution went to a championship game) and we are a benchmark for consistency. . . but it does hurt to lose. . .

Tom Brady is not a cry baby. . . it's the New England fans that cry for him. . .

special needs
01-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Tom Brady is the sexiest man alive. I would like to have him and lock him in a cage in my basement for my personal use. How twisted am I? Tom Brady isn't part of the Pats team, he IS the Patriots team. When he finishes throwing the ball, if he's escaped the seven thousand blitzes they send after him, he makes himself a blocker. He's the Patriots leader, as well as their qb. He calms the team, hypes them up...carried them on his shoulder the entire year.

The last thing Tom can be called is a crybaby. He takes sack after sack after sack after sack, because the Patriots are virtually unstoppable unless Tom Brady is killed. Hence, Tom is killed in every game, and has not once complained.

I love him..can't you tell?

jst5150
01-15-2006, 11:05 PM
ESPN had a discussion on those elbow "bands." Some thought them likethe pressure bands on the knees. They are not. They're nothing more, said the network's experts, than a fashion statement.

"Now bck to action on the field ..."

Perks
01-16-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm so torn! For one thing, I have no idea which one of you screwheads to believe on this armband issue.

The other is this Indianapolis/Pittsburg game. I am a Peyton Manning fan. Love all his stomping around and love that he sent field goal team off the field once the coach had just sent them on. But, if I'm candid with you, my AW friends and confidantes, I have to admit to a sports-crush on Bill Cowher. I could enthusiastically support a Superbowl for the Bus. What am I gonna do?

tiny
01-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Have you seen Ben Roethlisberger? Go Steelers!

Perks
01-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Oh... my... god....

This is the craziest game I've seen all year.

special needs
01-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Will Tom Brady marry me if one of you pin him to the ground and threaten him with a pointy object?

Perks
01-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Have you seen Ben Roethlisberger? Go Steelers!

Eh, he's a baby. Good player though! I'll take Cowher!

Perks
01-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Will Tom Brady marry me if one of you pin him to the ground and threaten him with a pointy object?

Does it work like that? On anyone or only sports figures? Gives me an idea...

tiny
01-16-2006, 01:23 AM
Eh, he's a baby. Good player though! I'll take Cowher!

I know, 23. But just imagine.

Perks
01-16-2006, 01:24 AM
I am so glad that Bettis' career did not just end on that hideous fumble. Way to dodge a bullet, Bus!!!

Perks
01-16-2006, 01:25 AM
I know, 23. But just imagine.

What am I gonna do with a 23 year old?

tiny
01-16-2006, 01:27 AM
What am I gonna do with a 23 year old?

I got twelve years on him and I have a whole list of things. Clean my gutters, move that big crate of crap I have in the garage, trim that one tree with the funky branch. Hmmm. What else, what else? Oh, I know :D

Perks
01-16-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm with you on the dozen years, and it's for that very reason. Don't want to end up in prison because I was ma'am-ed one too many times. He looks despicably polite.

WerenCole
01-16-2006, 01:33 AM
You people are insufferable. . . your Jonny Depp threads, Orlando Bloom. . . just the mention of Tom Brady makes you swoon. . . I mean, really. . . aren't there any real life hunks in your life? I think they have made a show about this kind of thing, Desperate House something or other. . .

This season is now complete for me. If New England can't win it, the next best thing is to watch Indy go down with us. . . in embarassing fashion. I have no ill will for any of the remaining teams (except for Chicago maybe) and I lived in Boulder for a year or so, so I guess I will root for the Broncos from here on out.

Back to before. . . I mean, really. . come on now. .

special needs
01-16-2006, 01:33 AM
You guys make me feel like a kid. :hooray: (Actually, perhaps I just needed an excuse to use that smiley.) I do feel younger around you people, though. If I was attracted to Ben, I could make use of him, but its only Brady for me! Perhaps Bruschi, too, because I want to hug Bruschi.

I think if I can't get someone to pin Tom down and threaten him, I will do it myself. We will run off to...Disney World and get married and then come back home and have 178 kids.

...I wonder what my fiance would think about this plan...

Christine N.
01-16-2006, 01:35 AM
Former athletic trainer here....

It's a tendon strap.

By pushing the tendon inward at the point where the strap is, it changes the angle of the tendon, and relieves tendonitits, ie tennis elbow. Also works on the tendon below the knee, if you have patellar tendonitis or jumper's knee.

They make commericial ones, but most of the time some pre-wrap rolled up does the trick.

StoryG27
01-16-2006, 01:36 AM
Now, poor Champ Baily my foot, Ben Watson did what he was supposed to do and that call should have been reversed and given my dear Patriots the ball back at the twenty.
No friggin way. That ball WAS NOT in the end zone. Stop whining.

He shouldn't have slowed down and untucked the ball.

He shouldn't have untucked the ball, but the slowing down was because he was exhausted. He should have looked behind him to avoid the vulnerability of that hit. He wasn't showboating, so there's no reason to be mad at him, it's one of those hard lessons in life and I garuntee he'll never make that mistake again.

Now, wasn't that Colt/Steelers game INSANE????

It was a good game though I'm soooo happy the Steelers won. Now my team (Denver) gets home field advantage! Yea!

Perks
01-16-2006, 01:37 AM
...I wonder what my fiance would think about this plan...

Wonder what his does? He's engaged to the actress Bridget Moynahan.

WerenCole
01-16-2006, 01:43 AM
No friggin way. That ball WAS NOT in the end zone. Stop whining.

He shouldn't have untucked the ball, but the slowing down was because he was exhausted. He should have looked behind him to avoid the vulnerability of that hit. He wasn't showboating, so there's no reason to be mad at him, it's one of those hard lessons in life and I garuntee he'll never make that mistake again.

Now, wasn't that Colt/Steelers game INSANE????

It was a good game though I'm soooo happy the Steelers won. Now my team (Denver) gets home field advantage! Yea!

Exhausted? One of the best cornerbacks in the league is exhausted? He trains in Denver, which from last look is about a mile higher than the thick air in Foxborough. . . Ben Watson ran farther than Bailey because he had to track all the way across the field and he never slowed down. . . watch the replay from the sky angle and you see Watson at full tilt all the way. The man is a tight end, probably twice the size of Baily and the cornerback was exhausted?! Careless and lazy I will accept, but not worn out. . .

special needs
01-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Is...elimination the competition an evil plan?

StoryG27
01-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Exhausted? One of the best cornerbacks in the league is exhausted? He trains in Denver, which from last look is about a mile higher than the thick air in Foxborough. . . Ben Watson ran farther than Bailey because he had to track all the way across the field and he never slowed down. . . watch the replay from the sky angle and you see Watson at full tilt all the way. The man is a tight end, probably twice the size of Baily and the cornerback was exhausted?! Careless and lazy I will accept, but not worn out. . .
Watson did great. But you're either blind or just stubborn if you can't see how tired Bailey was after that run. Is it good that he became so tired? No. But you're not taking any of the previous plays into account, how far and how much had Bailey been running? What about Watson? How rested was he?

If it all comes down to conditioning, hell, for all I know, Watson could be better conditioned, but Champ made the mistake because of inexperience and exhaustion. It was a mistake, tired or not, you don't leave the ball unprotected.

We could argue all we want. None of it will change the fact that the ball didn't go in the end zone and the play put Denver in perfect scoring position.

Perks
01-16-2006, 01:50 AM
Is...elimination the competition an evil plan?

I hope not.

Perks
01-16-2006, 01:58 AM
You people are insufferable. . . your Jonny Depp threads, Orlando Bloom. . . just the mention of Tom Brady makes you swoon. . .

When did swooning go out of fashion? This thread was begun in earnest by a mature and upstanding member of the AW community with an honest sports-related question. Ah, that would be me.

It seems to have brought out a few female NFL fans among us and I would posit that you are jealous that there is another facet to their enjoyment of the game. Sometimes being female is just that great...

WerenCole
01-16-2006, 02:07 AM
:flag: Sorry Perk, I mean no offense. . . it is more a joke than anything else. . . I just keep laughing at these things when they pop up. . .

and yeah, I know, Baily was tired and I am a ticked off NE fan. . . can't I make excuses? There are cycles to mourning right? Depression, denial, anger. . . something like that. . . I think I am into a little bit of the denial and anger. . Though, Denver won, we played them tough and the turnovers killed us. I tip my hats to the Broncos, they kept themselves in a position to win against a Patriot team that has a knack for exploiting weakness, a physical team that met a physical equal and won in a slugfest.

Really, I am not trying to upset anybody. . . I'm. . just. . . so, so. . . :cry:

tiny
01-16-2006, 02:08 AM
You people are insufferable. . . your Jonny Depp threads, Orlando Bloom. . . just the mention of Tom Brady makes you swoon. . . I mean, really. . . aren't there any real life hunks in your life? I think they have made a show about this kind of thing, Desperate House something or other. . .

I've never swooned over a man in my life. I have a real interest in football and hockey. I also watch boxing. Just because I appreciate the male form is no reason to assume that I am watching from a purely hormonal reason. I like a good contest played aggressively and matched well.

Real hunks in my life? I teach self-defense. It's a freaking meat rack where I work.

So phooey to you sir, Depp and Bloom are pansies and Tom Brady is a pretty boy. If I swoon in any form, it's from a punch to the head. :)

Perks
01-16-2006, 02:09 AM
:flag: Sorry Perk, I mean no offense. . . it is more a joke than anything else. . . I just keep laughing at these things when they pop up. . .

Lol! No flag of surrender required! I was just playing around. Wow. Wait 'til you see what I wrote to you in that other thread...

special needs
01-16-2006, 02:10 AM
Tom Brady is not a pretty boy. He is a manly man who takes sack after sack and never complains. Things don't get more sexy than that, though, admittedly, I'd probably like the Patriots even if Tom Brady wasn't completely and totally perfect.

StoryG27
01-16-2006, 02:12 AM
and yeah, I know, Baily was tired and I am a ticked off NE fan. . . can't I make excuses? There are cycles to mourning right? Depression, denial, anger. . . something like that. . . I think I am into a little bit of the denial and anger. . Though, Denver won, we played them tough and the turnovers killed us. I tip my hats to the Broncos, they kept themselves in a position to win against a Patriot team that has a knack for exploiting weakness, a physical team that met a physical equal and won in a slugfest.

Really, I am not trying to upset anybody. . . I'm. . just. . . so, so. . . :cry:

Ah, now you have won my heart! I've been where you are and been teased by the opposing team's fans...I guess I shouldn't be so mean.

I love any fan who isn't a fair-weather fan (don't like those at all!). (Mmm, sort of don't like Raider fans...though I'm trying...William is helping me)